Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 09-20-2007, 11:50 PM
Elite Fan

Zac News #11: b/c Zac and Liza Minelli? We should just accept it

Quote:
Zac Efron's new high school comedy 17 has finally found its director. According to Variety, New Line has hired Igby Goes Down's Burr Steers to direct the project.

The script, written by Jason Filardi, revolves around a middle-age man who wakes up to find that he is 17 again. He enrolls in the same school as his two children so that he can be close to them.

Hairspray director Adam Shankman is producing the comedy with Jennifer Gibot. Shankman stated, "It's been very important to Jennifer and I that we pair Zac with a director that has a truly original voice and style."

The film is set to go into production this December for a 2008 release date.
Source

Quote:
In part one of our exclusive interview - which you can read here - Zac chatted to David Savage about the two High School Musical movies, his own all-time favourite musicals, and his potential Footloose remake. In part two, Zac turns to personal matters and reveals why he'd like to lose his celebrity, why he regrets that Rolling Stone cover, how he deals with being filmed in the street and the whole media frenzy, his strict upbringing - and whether he collects Zac Efron mugs!

How are you coping with the current media frenzy? It's gotten even more intense since we last met.
Yeah, I know.

Was it The Teen Choice Awards where you were trying to speak and the audience kept screaming over you so you couldn't be heard? Some of your fans were concerned that you looked a bit unhappy there - and that maybe it's all beginning to get to you a little now.
You know, it's something... I'll never get used to that. It's somewhere I never wanted to be. In the spotlight. I've always said that acting is a tradition that's far predated celebrity. And I always... would like to be known as The Actor. It's unfortunate that High School Musical has become so popular lately. As a by-product of that, I find myself a little bit under the magnifying glass.

You've been getting that thing where people get their mobiles out and film you when you're going to the grocers or you're out pumping gas, haven't you?
Yeah. If anything, I feel like it's become a bit too popular. I would love to take a step back.

You can't win in that situation, because if you get angry, they film you getting angry - and 'Zac Gets Angry' then becomes the biggest thing on YouTube.
Yeah. It's a lose-lose situation. It's unfortunate. All you can do is hold your head up high and... smile. Even when you're seething inside. Those are the worst moments. But you have to just smile.

If you could flick a switch and have three or four hours anonymity a day, just to go out and not be recognised, would you do that?
Absolutely. In fact, I wish I could give it all back and just make the movies. The work is something that is fun and very fulfilling. It's a dream come true to be a working actor. It's not a dream come true to be a working celebrity.

There's a real celebrity obsession going on in the UK - though it's often focused more on reality TV people than talented people...

...which I love. Which I love. I feel bad for, you know, actors who have such public personal lives. They don't want that. It's thrust upon them.

You must be aware though, when you do something like that Rolling Stone cover and photo shoot that you're feeding into people's fantasies and getting them to fantasise about you even more.
You know, looking back, if there was one thing I should have thought a little bit harder about, it was that cover.

It's a great cover.

Oh, thanks, man! Thank you! I saw an opportunity to hopefully show a different side, you know, and hopefully become a real person and someone who was taken seriously. Unfortunately it kind of backfired.

What happened?

It got too hot, too quick. And definitely right now, I'm keeping my head low and trying to regain some of my anonymity.

Do you collect your own memorabilia? There's so much about.
No...

Just to show the grandkids one day...

No, I don't. I should.

How many copies of the Rolling Stone issue do you have?

They sent me a box. I think I've got five Rolling Stones in a box, saved. I'll keep those. And maybe one day, I'll break them out and show the grandkids.

There are so many High School Musical books and notepads and mugs about. Are you not tempted to get one of each for posterity?
Disney are usually good about sending me at least one of each merchandise.

I bet you have family members who go out and buy it anyway.

Yeah, sometimes - but a lot of it's so unnecessary. Who needs a coffee mug with me on it.

It would look odd if people went round to your flat and the kitchen was full of coffee mugs with your face on.
Yeah! Yeah, I have to hide it very well! I don't like to put it on display.

You said last time that you were happy to be associated with the wholesome Disney Channel image, and weren't in any great hurry to move away from that. Is that because you have a particular set of ethical beliefs or religious beliefs that determine the choices you make?
Absolutely not. Absolutely not. I wasn't raised in a religious family. I was raised in a very strict family. Good morals. Very school-oriented. I was very focused in school.

Is that where you got the discipline to be a good dancer?

I don't know. I think that's just genetics. I'm quite co-ordinated, and I don't have huge feet, y'know; anything to make me trip.

"That's not to say I don't go out and celebrate. I love to occasionally. Especially, you know, with these guys."

How strict was strict?

When I was younger?

Yeah. Was there a curfew for when you had to be back home?

Absolutely. Growing up, I didn't miss a day's school, I got relatively good grades for most kids.

They made sure you did your homework?

Exactly. After school it was come home, do homework and once everything was done I could have the rest of the night free. When I came home there was always a parent at home, I wasn't really allowed to go places without supervision. They kept me out of trouble. Looking back, I mean I was fuming the whole time, I felt such a frustrated...

But you appreciate it now?

Yeah. Looking back, oddly enough, I do appreciate it and think maybe that was the right thing. I think if I had followed some of my impulses I might have been a different person.

Would you avoid taking a role - say, a really good, meaty role - on the grounds that it might alienate your present fans?

Yeah.

Something that's very adult subject matter.

Depends. I love my fanbase, and I no way want to alienate them. I will not make a film where I play some junkie on a street corner. For most of the time I don't think that that's necessary. I like to watch movies that make me happy; that have good subject matter. Even better than making me happy, I like watching and being part of movies that make you think. There are very real movies out there about the raw parts of life. I think that I will find myself in those... in my later years.

It might not be that hard to alienate some of your younger fans. You swore in our last interview and we had a few fans saying 'Zac didn't say that! He wouldn't swear!'

(LOOKS AMAZED AND AMUSED) It's funny. I think people fall in love with characters, and want to see that character the whole time. I'm an individual and will act accordingly. I just happen to... you know, I tend to be well behaved, and that in no way is a facade, it's not something I do because of an image. It might be laziness! I don't like to be up at 3 o'clock in clubs. I get tired. I have things to be doing. I have work the next day.

Clubs are a bit overrated anyway. You can't hear each other talk...

Yeah, man, blowing out your eardrums. I mean, that's not to say I don't go out and celebrate. I love to occasionally. Especially, you know, with these (High School Musical) guys.

When you land a new film role, what do you do to celebrate? Do you have a ritual - or jump in the air?
I kind of have a quiet 'yes!' to myself. And then I usually start preparing, because every time I'm given a role, people are taking a risk. They're putting a lot of faith in you. It's like a gift that you're given. In no way would I want to screw that up or disappoint anyone. So, yeah, I start training!
Source
Sometimes we just need that.

Last edited by sarahbeth0587; 09-21-2007 at 12:24 AM
Old 09-20-2007, 11:57 PM
Addicted Fan

what is this about liza?

Old 09-21-2007, 12:01 AM
Elite Fan

Thanks for opening, Sarah.
Will you change the news in the OP, please?

And to explain the thread title: There was this one hilarious article that Zac was dating Liza Minelli. It was so funny written.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:18 AM
Elite Fan

Lemme go do that
Sometimes we just need that.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:23 AM
Elite Fan

Old 09-21-2007, 12:36 AM
Extreme Fan

whoa, Liza Minelli? If you have to make up a lie, make it a good one. She's old enough to be his grandmother!

I read the article, I feel bad for him, he truly wants to just act and it's a double-edged sword you want to be recognized for your craft but not to the point where your personal life is front page news.

avi:Babss
Old 09-21-2007, 12:43 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whit89 (View Post)

I read the article, I feel bad for him, he truly wants to just act and it's a double-edged sword you want to be recognized for your craft but not to the point where your personal life is front page news.
Yeah, me too. And I can totally understand him actually. He loves his fans, he loves his work, but the attention of the publicity had just gotten too much since earlier this year. I really wish for things to start getting more normal again.

As much as I like to hear news about Zac, I don't have to see paparazzi pictures of him every day.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:42 AM
Absolute Fan

Liza Minelli

That's awesome about Burr Steers and 17..I can see him drawing a really great performance out of Zac
I’m actually looking in the mirror right now and I know that in 10 years, I won’t look like this. I’ll look 31, not 21. It’s our spirit that people will remember us for as time goes on and we grow older.-Nikki Blonsky
Old 09-21-2007, 01:47 AM
Supreme Fan

Thanks for the new thread

I like the second interview. Its good to see different questions being asked, I mean I like any interview but there are only so many times you can hear some stuff.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:51 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NattyPatty (View Post)
I like the second interview. Its good to see different questions being asked, I mean I like any interview but there are only so many times you can hear some stuff.
Most definitely.
There are actually a lot of questions in there that I would have asked, too if I ever got the chance to interview Zac.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:56 AM
Supreme Fan

Absolutely. I wish we could interview him, that would be awesome. Plus I'm studying journalism at uni so interviewing is my thing
Old 09-21-2007, 01:59 AM
Elite Fan

That would be awesome, Natty.
Maybe he'll invite us for an interview once we've done the Paper Cut Zac story.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:08 AM
Supreme Fan

That would be awesome! I'll be in the US next year as well, excellent. And Yay for Paper Cut Zac

Dear Zac,

I will be in the US in June next year - is this a good time for me and Jule to interview you?

Thanks,

Nat

Old 09-21-2007, 02:14 AM
Elite Fan

June is fine with me, too.
I hope he's available.

Paper Cut Zac!
Old 09-21-2007, 02:28 AM
Supreme Fan

Yay for June and interviewing Zac I hope he is available as well, I think we should book it in now just to make sure.

I'm so psyched for paper cut Zac!