Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2018, 02:31 AM
Fan Forum Star

Nicole Kidman #6 - "I believe the experiences of life are more important than any film you make."

Welcome to the Nicole Kidman Appreciation Thread!

Biography:

Elegant redhead Nicole Kidman, known as one of Hollywood's top Australian imports, was actually born in Honolulu, Hawaii to Anthony (a biochemist and clinical psychologist) and Janelle (a nursing instructor) Kidman. The family moved almost immediately to Washington, D.C., where Nicole's father pursued his research on breast cancer, then, three years later, made the pilgrimage to her parents' native Sydney. Young Nicole's first love was ballet, but she eventually took up mime and drama as well (her first stage role was a bleating sheep in an elementary school Christmas pageant). In her adolescent years, acting edged out the other arts and became a kind of refuge - as her classmates sought out fun in the sun, the fair-skinned Kidman retreated to dark rehearsal halls to practice her craft. She worked regularly at the Philip Street Theater, where she once received a personal letter of praise and encouragement from audience member Jane Campion (then a film student). Kidman eventually dropped out of high school to pursue acting full-time. She broke into movies at age 16, landing a role in the Australian holiday favorite Bush Christmas (1983). That appearance touched off a flurry of film and TV offers, including a lead in BMX Bandits (1983) and a turn as a schoolgirl-turned-protester in the miniseries "Vietnam" (1987) (mini) (for which she won her first Australian Film Institute Award). With the help of an American agent, she eventually made her US debut opposite Sam Neill in the at-sea thriller Dead Calm (1989).

Kidman's next casting coup scored her more than exposure. While starring as Tom Cruise's doctor/love interest in the racetrack romance Days of Thunder (1990), she won over the Hollywood hunk hook, line, and sinker. After a whirlwind courtship (and decent box office returns), the couple wed on December 24, 1990. Determined not to let her new marital status overshadow her fledgling career, the actress pressed on. She appeared as a catty high school senior in the Australian film Flirting (1991), then as Dustin Hoffman's moll in the gangster flick Billy Bathgate (1991). She reunited with Cruise for Far and Away (1992), the story of young Irish lovers who flee to America in the late 1800s, and starred opposite Michael Keaton in the tear-tugger My Life (1993/I). Despite her steady employment, critics and moviegoers still hadn't quite warmed to Kidman as a leading lady. She tried to spice up her image by seducing Val Kilmer in Batman Forever (1995), but achieved her real breakthrough with Gus Van Sant's To Die For (1995). As a fame-crazed housewife determined to eliminate any obstacle in her path, Kidman proved that she had an impressive range and deadly comic timing. She took home a Golden Globe and several critics' awards for the performance. In 1996, Kidman stepped into a corset to work with her countrywoman and onetime admirer, Jane Campion, on the adaptation of Henry James's The Portrait of a Lady (1996). A few months later, she tore across the screen as a nuclear weapons expert in The Peacemaker (1997), adding "action star" to her professional repertoire.

She and Cruise then disappeared into a notoriously long, secretive shoot for Stanley Kubrick's sexual thriller Eyes Wide Shut (1999). The couple's on-screen shenanigans prompted an increase in public speculation about their sex life (rumors had long been circulating that their marriage was a cover-up for Cruise's homosexuality); tired of denying tabloid attacks, they successfully sued The Star for a story alleging that they needed a sex therapist to coach them through love scenes. Family life has always been a priority for Kidman. Born to social activists (mom was a feminist, dad a labor advocate), Nicole and her little sister, Antonia, discussed current events around the dinner table and participated in their parents' campaigns by passing out pamphlets on street corners. When her mother was diagnosed with breast cancer, 17-year-old Nicole stopped working and took a massage course so that she could provide physical therapy (her mom eventually beat the cancer). She and Cruise adopted two children: Isabella Jane (born in 1993) and Connor Antony (born 1995). Despite their rock-solid image, the couple announced in early 2001 that they were separating due to career conflicts.

Bio from IMDB.com

P R E V I O U S T H R E A D S:
#1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5

Nicole Kidman fans:
Big Head want Dolly
Caris_leogirl
colorblind
Devoted Soul
Kelly_Dylan
Ljiljana
alexis bledel the best
AbsyntheMinded
Vanessa Lapierre
Pasadora
hiddleskittlesღ
green eyes sparkle
baelfire24
heartღaflutter
ina_am
~Search4Truth~
ryanforever

If you want to be added just ask the thread starter

Karen | Icon: shinebrighterxx] ღ [/SIZE]
heartღaflutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 01:10 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Love the OP!

TFTNT!
Old 11-09-2018, 01:36 AM
Fan Forum Star

TFTNT, Karen

JoJoF92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 10:15 AM
Fan Forum Star

You're welcome!

She looks fierce in this moment for Aquaman!

Old 11-11-2018, 10:49 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks for the new thread!
Old 11-12-2018, 03:47 AM
Fan Forum Star

can't wait to see her in it

Old 11-12-2018, 01:24 PM
Fan Forum Star

yeah I wonder how big her role will be in Aquaman!

Old 11-12-2018, 10:38 PM
Elite Fan

I'm thinking her role will be pretty substantial. Or at least I'm hoping so.
Old 11-13-2018, 02:16 AM
Fan Forum Star

yeah I hope so, you can't get Nicole Kidman and not put her to good use

Old 11-14-2018, 12:21 AM
Elite Fan

Exactly what I was thinking.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:34 AM
Fan Forum Star

that would be a waste

Old 11-14-2018, 05:40 AM
Fan Forum Star

Lots of new stuff with Nicole

Nicole Kidman Almost Didn’t Do ‘Destroyer’: ‘I Didn’t Want to Go to That Place’ | Nicole Kidman : Just Jared

Quote:

The 51-year-old actress recently revealed that she tried to drop out of the Karyn Kusama film because she had just wrapped filming Boy Erased.

“I did Boy Erased first. And then I tried to pull out of Destroyer,” Nicole revealed. “I did! I went, ‘I’m tired, I’m absolutely terrified to go into that role, get me out of it,’ and I was told that I couldn’t get out of it. I do that a lot. Anyone in this room that’s about to work with me, know that! Between the prep — I did an enormous amount of prep — there was a three week break [between Boy Erased and Destroyer].”

“I fight hard to keep [my career like this] because the idea of getting pigeonholed is terrifying to me,” Nicole added. “But then comes the fear and then comes the idea that you can’t do it, and then comes the struggle to go in. And that’s what I struggled with, with Destroyer: I didn’t want to [do it] because I didn’t want to go to that place.”

Nicole Kidman & Sebastian Stan Attend ‘Destroyer’ Dinner During AFI Fest | Beau Knapp, Jade Pettyjohn, Nicole Kidman, Sebastian Stan, Shamier Anderson, Zach Villa : Just Jared

Nicole Kidman Explains Why She Doesn’t See Herself as a Celebrity | Magazine, Nicole Kidman : Just Jared

Old 11-14-2018, 08:33 PM
Elite Fan

Great, great pics. She looks wonderful on that cover. Thanks for the update.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:56 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Love the OP and the pics!
Old 11-15-2018, 10:15 AM
Fan Forum Star

You're welcome! It's good to see her out and about so much! I'm amazed at how much work she releases each year!

She'll be on Variety Studio: Actors on Actors

Quote:
Variety and PBS SoCal have announced the actor lineup and schedule for the ninth season of “Variety Studio: Actors on Actors.”

The first two episodes of the Emmy Award-winning series will premiere on PBS SoCal on Tuesday, Jan. 8 at 7 p.m. with episodes three and four set to premiere on Thursday, Jan. 10 at 7 p.m. All episodes will stream on pbssocal.org following their premieres.

This season will feature the following actor pairings and conversations: Lady Gaga (A Star is Born) with Lin-Manuel Miranda (Mary Poppins Returns); Mahershala Ali (Green Book) with John David Washington (BlacKkKlansman); Emily Blunt (A Quiet Place / Mary Poppins Returns) with Hugh Jackman (The Front Runner); Emma Stone (The Favourite) with Timothée Chalamet (Beautiful Boy); Melissa McCarthy (Can You Ever Forgive Me?) with Lupita Nyong’o (Black Panther); Nicole Kidman (Destroyer/Boy Erased) with Amy Adams (Vice); Charlize Theron (Tully) with Michael B. Jordan (Black Panther); Armie Hammer (On the Basis of Sex / Sorry to Bother You) with Dakota Johnson (Suspiria); Glenn Close (The Wife) with Sam Elliott (A Star is Born); Viggo Mortensen (Green Book) with Chadwick Boseman (Black Panther); Regina King (If Beale Street Could Talk) with Maggie Gyllenhaal (The Kindergarten Teacher); John Krasinski (A Quiet Place) with Rosamund Pike (A Private War); Felicity Jones (On the Basis of Sex) with Constance Wu (Crazy Rich Asians).

Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top