Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2008, 02:47 AM
Elite Fan

Hugh Jackman #2: Because we all want someone like him!

Welcome to the Hugh Jackman Appreciation Thread!

Jack of all Trades

Made by ROCKSTAR

In Progress:
  1. If You Could See Me Now (2008) (announced)
  2. X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009) (pre-production) as Logan / Wolverine
  3. Australia (2008) (post-production)
  4. Untitled Hugh Jackman Project (2008) (completed) as Wyatt

Completed:
  1. "Viva Laughlin" as Nicky Fontana
    - Pilot (2007) (TV)
  2. Happy Feet (2006) (voice) as Memphis
  3. Flushed Away (2006) (voice) as Roddy
  4. The Prestige (2006) as Robert Angier
  5. The Fountain (2006) .as Tomas / Tommy / Tom Creo
  6. Scoop (2006) as Peter Lyman
  7. X-Men: The Last Stand (2006) as Logan / Wolverine
  8. X-Men: The Official Game (2006) (VG) (voice) as Logan / Wolverine
  9. Stories of Lost Souls (2006) as Roger (segment Standing Room Only)
  10. Van Helsing (2004) as Van Helsing
  11. Van Helsing: The London Assignment (2004) (V) (voice) as Gabriel Van Helsing
  12. Making the Grade (2004) (TV) as Mr. Slattery
  13. Standing Room Only (2004/I) as Roger
  14. X2 (2003) as Logan / Wolverine
  15. Kate & Leopold (2001) as Leopold
  16. "Saturday Night Live"
    - Hugh Jackman/Mick Jagger (2001) (TV) as Host
  17. Swordfish (2001) as Stanley Jobson
  18. Someone Like You... (2001) as Eddie Alden
  19. X-Men (2000) as Logan / Wolverine
  20. Oklahoma! (1999) (TV) as Curly McLain
  21. Erskineville Kings (1999) as Wace
  22. Paperback Hero (1999) as Jack Willis
  23. Halifax f.p: Afraid of the Dark (1998) (TV) as Eric Ringer
  24. "Snowy River: The McGregor Saga" (TV) as Duncan Jones (5 Episodes, 1996)
    - Black Sheep
    - Comeback
    - Prince of Hearts
    - The Grand Duke
    - The Grand Opening
  25. "Blue Heelers" (TV) as Brady Jackson (1 Episode, 1995)
    - Just Desserts
  26. "Correlli" (TV) as Kevin Jones (10 Episodes, 1995)
    - Rumours
    - Revelations
    - An Early Release
    - Wishin' and Hopin'
    - Spoons
    (5 more)
  27. "Law of the Land" (TV) aw Charles 'Chicka' McCray (1 episode, 1994)
    - Win, Lose and Draw

Personal Information:

Date of Birth
12 October 1968, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Birth Name
Hugh Michael Jackman

Height
6' 2½" (1.89 m)

Spouse
Deborra-Lee Furness (11 April 1996 - present) 2 children

Biography:

Born in Sydney of English parentage, and the youngest of 5 children, Jackman has a Communications degree with a journalism major from the University of Technology Sydney.

After graduating, he pursued drama at the Western Australian Academy of Performing Arts, immediately after which he was offered a starring role in the ABC TV prison drama "Correlli" (1995), opposite his future wife Deborra-Lee Furness. Several TV guest roles followed, as an actor and variety compere.

An accomplished singer, Jackman has starred as Gaston in the Australian production of Beauty and the Beast. He appeared as Joe Gillis in the Australian production of Sunset Boulevard. In 1998, he was cast as Curly in the Royal National Theatre's production of Trevor Nunn's Oklahoma.

Jackman has made two feature films, the second of which, Erskineville Kings (1999), garnered him an Australian Film Institute nomination for Best Actor in 1999. Recently, he won the part of Logan/Wolverine in the Bryan Singer- directed comic book movie X-Men (2000).

In his spare time, Hugh plays piano, golf and guitar and likes to windsurf.

Trivia

For Sunset Boulevard (as Joe Gillis), he won a Variety Club, a Mo and a Green Room Award as best male actor in a musical. He was nominated for a Laurence Olivier Award in 1998 as Curly in the Royal National Theatre's Oklahoma!.

Adopted a son, Oscar Maximillian Jackman, in May 2000 (b. 15 May 2000).

Met wife while co-starring in the Australian TV series "Correlli" (1995).

Chosen as one of People magazine's "50 Most Beautiful People in the World" 5 years in a row, 2000-2004.

He was one of the presenters at the 2002 Academy Awards, but says he'll think twice about attending again. He says, "I slept for about an hour and I'd have liked a little bit of sushi to come down. There'll be a lot of drunken parties back home and people betting and that's usually what I'm at, so getting up there in a suit and talking for a little bit is kind of bizarre."

He sang "People Will Say We're in Love" from "Oklahoma!" with Shirley Jones, when they reprised their respective roles of Curly and Laurie, at the opening of Fox Studios in Sydney.

He was a last-minute addition to the X-Men (2000) cast. Dougray Scott was originally cast as Wolverine, but Mission: Impossible II (2000) required two extra months of shooting.

According to the comic books, Wolverine stands 5-feet-3-inches in height. Jackman, who plays Wolverine, stands a whole foot taller than his character.

Has starred in four movies with Halle Berry: X-Men (2000), Swordfish (2001), X2 (2003), and X-Men: The Last Stand (2006).

He was nominated for a 1999 Laurence Olivier Theatre Award for the 1998 season for Best Actor in a Musical for his role in "Oklahoma".

Was offered the role of "Captain William Gordon" in The Rising: Ballad of Mangal Pandey (2005).

While filming Van Helsing (2004), he accidentally broke an extra's hand.

Favorite curse word is "bull****".

Voted one of "The 50 Most Beautiful People in the World" by People magazine [2003]

Named Best Actor in a Musical by Drama Desk in New York for his portrayal of Peter Allen in "The Boy From Oz" (April 2004).

Won Broadway's 2004 Tony Award as Best Actor (Musical) for his portrayal of Australian singer/songwriter Peter Allen in "The Boy From Oz". Jackman also served as host for the televised ceremony for the American Theatre Wing's annual Antoinette Perry (aka Tony) Awards in 2003, 2004 and 2005.

Before attending WAAPA (Western Australian Academy of Performing Arts), he did a year acting program called "The Journey" at the Actors Centre in Sydney

His parents separated when he was 8. His mother then moved to England, leaving his father to raise him and his four siblings by himself in Australia.

In the X-Men movies, he plays Wolverine; in Van Helsing (2004), he goes after a monster called The Wolfman.

He is terribly near-sighted and has extremely blurry vision when he isn't wearing contacts. Even when hosting the Tonys and "Saturday Night Live" (1975), Jackman memorized almost everything he had to say so he wouldn't have to struggle to read.

His favorite food is sushi.

Once said in an interview with Jay Leno that he is a fan of the "Friday The 13th" film series, and he became an actor because he wanted to play Jason in one.

Favorite word is "panache."

Due to his committment to Van Helsing (2004), had to decline the offer to play Frank Castle in The Punisher (2004). Both films ended up receiving a "BOMB" rating from film critic Leonard Maltin.

Was listed as a potential nominee on the 2005 Razzie Award nominating ballot. He was listed as a suggestion in the Worst Actor category for his performance in the film Van Helsing (2004). However, he did not receive a nomination.

Expressed great fondness for the comic book character Superman. Ironically, Superman is owned by DC Comics, the rival company of Marvel Comics, which owns X-Men and Wolverine.

He admitted after X-Men (2000) that it was difficult to summon up the rage and darkness necessary for the character of Logan/Wolverine and it took weeks of work with Bryan Singer to find the right tone for the character. After that, however, it was relatively easy for him to play the angry character.

Has started his own movie production company, "Seed Productions", with his friend John Palermo. The first films they will be producing with this company are X-Men: The Last Stand (2006) and the Wolverine spin-off.

Adopted a girl, Ava Eliot Jackman (b. July 10, 2005), in July 2005.

Was School Captain during his final year of high school, a school also attended by Australian actors Adam Garcia, Andrew Johnston, Reg Livermore, Hugo Weaving, writer Stuart Beattie and radio host John Laws.

His two children have 'play time sessions' with Rupert Murdoch's younger children in New York.

Had to take stunt driving classes to prepare for his role in Swordfish (2001). .

His stunt double for Van Helsing (2004) and X-Men: The Last Stand (2006) was Richard Bradshaw, his brother-in-law (sister's husband).

He had never seen an episode of "Saturday Night Live" (1975) until he agreed to host the show. The producers sent him tapes of episodes so he could understand the format of the show. He later said that his favorite was the one hosted by Conan O'Brien.

Often his wife and, sometimes, members of his family stay with him while he is shooting on location.

His mother abandoned the family when he was 8 and moved back to England. His father, an accountant, brought up five children himself. The first 18 months of his life were actually spent with his godparents.

Doesn't smoke in real life. He says he finds it horrible to smoke in movies.

Was among the guests at Nicole Kidman's and Keith Urban's wedding

Wants to produce and star in a film based on the life of "The Incredible Hulk" (1978) actor Bill Bixby.

Frequently gets offered roles based on comic books. He was offered The Punisher (2004), Daredevil (2003), Hulk (2003), Iron Man (2008), "Mr. Fantastic" in Fantastic Four (2005) and as "Jonathan Kent" in Superman Returns (2006).

He and his wife, Deborra-Lee Furness, suffered through two miscarriages, which they point to as the most difficult point in their lives. Both of their children are adopted.

Is left-handed, although often seen doing things right-handed (such as shooting, much like actor Keanu Reeves).

Upon meeting Olivia Newton-John (John Travolta introduced the two while he and Jackman were filming "Swordfish"), he confessed to her that under his desk in elementary school, there was a poster with Newton-John on it, and he would kiss the poster every day.

He was a last-minute addition to the X-Men (2000) cast. Dougray Scott was originally cast as Wolverine, but Mission: Impossible II (2000) required two extra months of shooting.

Has 2 older brothers - Ian and Ralph and two older sisters - Sonya and Zoe. Also has a half sister from his mother's side of the family.

Personal Quotes

(On turning down the chance to play Richard Gere's character in the Harvey Weinstein-produced film Chicago) "I thought I was too young for the role. You have some 34-year-old guy up against Catherine Zeta-Jones and Renée Zellweger and it becomes a different movie. At one point, Harvey was telling me they were thinking of Kevin Spacey, and I told him, 'That's exactly right. You should hire him.' Then I was in New York when the movie opened and the queue was around the block. I sat down and thought that I had probably made the biggest mistake. But I still honestly think that it was the right thing to do. I still think I was too young for that part."

"Finally something my family can be proud of"

"Now I meet people with full-color Wolverine tattoos on their backs. Thank God I did okay, because I think if I handn't, they'd spit on me in the street." - on his role of Wolverine

"There is something very secretive about the way they cast that role. I've never had an official call asking: 'Are you interested or not', but there's no guy I know who wouldn't want that role - and that includes me. Anyone who says otherwise is lying." [on the now [Nov. 2004] opened spot for the next James Bond]

"I never read comics as a kid, and when I was slipped the comics under my trailer door, Bryan Singer didn't want us to read them. He was very frightened that we would come out with these 2D characters, and I was amazed at how helpful they were, the images more than the story. The images, and how they capture emotion or an action sequence in just, say, three images - I have to say I used them as inspiration for some of the fighting stances or techniques. The way Wolverine stands and how he looks." - [on Comic books]

"I didn't do the motion capture work; I didn't do any of that. I don't know if they've used my voice or not, they probably have.. I did a lot of recordings on the first movie for dolls and videogames, so they probably just used the same stuff." - [on Wolverine videogame]

"People can stick pins in it, put in the freezer. It's far more dangerous than a videogame." - [about his action figures]

"The character I play is actually only 1.6 meters [5' 3"]. Before I had any kind of acting profile I was encouraged to lie about my height. I was told to say I was about six foot [1.83m] tall. I was worried about it when I first had my audition because pleasing fans of the franchise is important. My height was brought up on the Internet. They didn't think it was right. A lot of people who never met me think I'm very short. Jimmy Marsden (Cyclops), who's only 10cm [4 inches] shorter than me, was put on boxes and platforms in our scenes together. You'll notice that every character in X-men looks taller than me."

"I've always felt that if you back down from a fear, the ghost of that fear never goes away. It diminishes people. So I've always said 'yes' to the thing I'm most scared about. The fear of letting myself down -- of saying 'no' to something that I was afraid of and then sitting in my room later going, 'I wish I'd had the guts to say this or that' -- that galvanizes me more than anything."

"Acting is something I love. It's a great craft that I have a lot of respect for. But I don't think it's any greater challenge than teaching 8 year olds or any other career. In my life, I try not to make it more important than it is and I just hope that rubs off on the people around me."

"Becoming a father, I think it inevitably changes your perspective of life. I don't get nearly enough sleep. And the simplest things in life are completely satisfying. I find you don't have to do as much, like you don't go on as many outings."

"I have shocking teeth... I'm being a little facetious-I just went to the dentist the other day, and he looked at my teeth and went, 'Oh, my God, you've got gray teeth.'"

"Now I meet people with full-color Wolverine tattoos on their backs. Thank God I did okay, because I think if I hadn't, they'd spit on me in the street."

Source: IMDB

Hugh Jackman Fans:
  1. ~*~Celebriän~*~
  2. mariem201
  3. ROCKSTAR
  4. Ms_Melika
  5. Enigma
  6. life_style
  7. Amy_UK
  8. Virginie_GW
  9. Caris_leogirl
  10. montana_rosalie
  11. blackdalia
  12. hellojojo123
  13. ces't moi
  14. Leo_Lover
  15. hiddleskittlesღ
  16. Sara Caffrey
  17. FollowYourღ
  18. baelfire24
  19. ina_am
  20. JMRamos
  21. stlavin95

Last edited by heartღaflutter; 12-27-2016 at 09:47 AM
Old 01-04-2008, 12:51 PM
Elite Fan

Thank you so much! The OP looks really good now.

Looking at the OP, I remembered I still have the Viva Laughlin Pilot recorded but I haven't seen it because of what happened to it.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:02 PM
Elite Fan

You are welcome!

It wasn't very good at all. Hugh was the only reason to tune in. But it was really not very good.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:00 PM
Moderator Support Team

New thread.

Add me please.

I remember being excited about Viva. Too bad it bombed.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:53 PM
Elite Fan

Added Mel!

My Mom wanted to my watch it with her, so I did, i only liked it because of Hugh. But I'm not surprised that it got pulled.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:48 AM
Moderator Support Team

Thanks Melika.

Yeah, I kept hearing it was really bad. Too bad because I heard the British version was really good.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:30 AM
Master Fan

Please add me to the list
Old 01-14-2008, 01:30 PM
Elite Fan

Added!
Old 01-17-2008, 05:32 AM
Master Fan

Thank you..

This guy seriously has it all. He's a good actor, insanely handsome, plus he has a good singing voice and charm
Old 01-31-2008, 07:13 AM
Amy
Elite Fan

Could I be added to the list please? Hugh Jackman is one of my favourite actors, I especially love him in Van Helsing
Old 01-31-2008, 11:43 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy_UK (View Post)
Could I be added to the list please? Hugh Jackman is one of my favourite actors, I especially love him in Van Helsing
I will add you now.

He was so good in Van Helsing. He's just perfect for heroic type of characters. His Wolverine is pure awesome!
Old 02-01-2008, 03:38 AM
Master Fan

That it is
Old 02-14-2008, 10:22 PM
Elite Fan

I can't wait for the Wolverine Movie! That is going to be fantastic!
Old 02-14-2008, 10:37 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Melika (View Post)
I can't wait for the Wolverine Movie! That is going to be fantastic!
Pretty much how I feel!

I heard some official pictures have been released already! I'm excited about that.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:31 AM
Master Fan

They have? I need to find them
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top