Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 04:00 PM
Master Fan

Patrick News Thread #15 - Patrick's got 2 movies coming out this year and we're dying to see them!

Welcome to the 15th
Patrick News Thread !

LATEST NEWS

PD has a 3rd cologne called 'Legacy'

Paddy

Old 01-20-2011, 08:12 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks for the new thread.
Love the banner.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:09 AM
Master Fan

The power of Sundance
Quote:
Most actors would kill for Patrick Dempsey's credits. The 45-year-old performer not only stars in the highly rated television series "Grey's Anatomy" but also boasts the movie hits "Valentine's Day" and "Enchanted."

Yet when Dempsey — Dr. McDreamy to his TV admirers — looks at the trajectory of his career, he fears being pigeonholed as the likable, romantic comedy hunk who can't play anything else. "If you're typecast, you really have to take the initiative and change people's opinions about you," Dempsey said. "You have to be very proactive."

So this weekend Dempsey will fly to Park City, Utah, for the Sundance Film Festival, where his movie "Flypaper" will have its world premiere.

As for Dempsey, he not only stars in "Flypaper," a dark comedy about two criminal gangs trying to rob the same bank simultaneously, but he also produced the film, helping raise funds and hire a director ("The Lion King's" Rob Minkoff, also out to rebrand himself). Dempsey plays an unstable man — picture a high-functioning idiot savant — who helps solve the film's central mystery.

"I'm taking a little bit of a pivot, career-wise," Dempsey said. "I knew I couldn't play the romantic comedy card again. I was starting to get pigeonholed, and I started to get frustrated with that. I need to show other people what I can do — or you get stuck in a corner that you can't get out of."

Because many of these low-budget movies are made without a theatrical distributor in place, their producers often turn to recognizable stars in the hopes that their presence might expedite a sale. The actors, usually working at a fraction of their typical salary, are in turn allowed to play parts considered outside their wheelhouse.

Dempsey is hardly alone in showcasing his versatility at this year's festival, which opened Thursday and runs through Jan. 30.

Paddy

Old 01-22-2011, 10:03 AM
Elite Fan

I wonder how long he is going to be in Parck City.
That is where I am going for my birthday dinner next week.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:37 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by *DaretoDream* (View Post)
That would be the best birthday present if you could meet Patrick Della

Quote:
"I'm taking a little bit of a pivot, career-wise," Dempsey said. "I knew I couldn't play the romantic comedy card again. I was starting to get pigeonholed, and I started to get frustrated with that. I need to show other people what I can do — or you get stuck in a corner that you can't get out of."
Patrick............ I so agree what he said here
Old 01-22-2011, 11:17 AM
Elite Fan

I think it is great he is doing something different.
I may have to see where they are showing the movie and go watch it if I can get tickets because tickets sell out so fast up there.
On a side note I know that probabaly being able to see him is not going to happen but it would be so cool. I know people that go up there every year just so they can see what stars are there.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:37 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Only this weekend, it's the Daytona 24 hours next week, so he'll be in Florida then...

Quote:
I may have to see where they are showing the movie and go watch it if I can get tickets because tickets sell out so fast up there
There were 2 screenings, on Friday and on Saturday, but they're sold out.
Oh man, if you knew you were going, you should have bought tickets to go see it! I would kill to see this movie next week already!

----------------

Patrick Dempsey on Producing His First Film ‘Flypaper’
Quote:

Patrick Dempsey has held a number of different titles in his career, including actor, spokesman, and race car driver. This coming week at the Sundance Film Festival, the 45-year-old “Grey’s Anatomy” star can add another position to the list: producer.

In “Flypaper,” a dark comedy written by “The Hangover” scripters Jon Lucas and Scott Moore, Dempsey both stars as Tripp Kennedy, a passerby pulled into a gang-releated shoot-out in a bank, and uses his behind-the-scenes knowledge as a producer. He was originally sent the script by fellow producer Peter Safran, who had offered him the lead in the film “Buried” (the part eventually went to Ryan Reynolds). However, a week after passing on the claustrophobic drama, Safran sent Dempsey “Flypaper,” which intrigued him.

“I needed to pivot away from the “Enchanted” and “Made of Honor” sort of roles I had been doing, so I read the script and thought there was a lot potential and decided to come on as a producer,” he says. “And this was before the writers’ movie [“The Hangover”] had come out, so we lucked out.”

Dempsey describes the film – which also stars Ashley Judd as a bank teller and Tim Blake Nelson and Pruitt Taylor Vince as pair of bumbling thieves named Peanut Butter and Jelly – as more of a “whodunit, with plenty of twists and turns” than a standard heist film and says the role of Tripp was a good way for him to “push [his] fan base in a new direction without alienating them.”

We caught up with Dempsey in advance of his film’s debut at the Sundance Film Festival.

What attracted you to this film from both an actor’s and producer’s perspective?
Tripp was a good character and the film was a nice step step forward – it’s a comedy, but it’s a little more violent, and there’s a mental impairment involved, and it’s an ensemble. Plus, speaking as a producer, we knew the film was containable and that we could get it into the market place. It was very doable.

In addition to Ashley, Tim and Pruitt, the film also features Mekhi Phifer and Jeffrey Tambor, which is a pretty interesting cast, and Rob Minkoff, who’s better known for directing animation, is at the helm.
Casting was the most important part of putting this together and we knew we wanted a strong ensemble. We had a different director that was initially attached but he fell out right before shooting, which put us in a very difficult position. Rob had been wanting to break out of how people saw him as well, so we were all in the same boat of wanting to come up with something that was new and fresh and take chances. With casting, once we got Tim, everything fell into place. Ashley was a last minute thing — I’m big fan of racing, so I knew her husband – and this is the first thing she’s done since she graduated from Harvard [Judd received her Mid-Career Masters in Public Administration in the Kennedy School in May 2010]. Jeffrey, I had done some acting classes with, and Pruitt, I had done a short with. Otherwise, we just looked at a lot of tape.

Given your commitment to “Grey’s”, you must have been on a tight schedule to get this film done during your hiatus.
We shot in the spring. I only had a short window of time – and I had a hard out to go do the next “Transformers” movie – so if we didn’t go with Rob, we wouldn’t have done the movie. It was a calculated risk. But it was good. We had a lot of positive things happen.

What were some of your biggest challenges as a producer?
Definitely the lack of pre-production time. We had lost our director, we got slammed into a location for the bank that we didn’t like, and we had to get rid of some department heads. But that all comes from a lack of pre-production time. It would also have been nice to have had more time to rehearse the actors. But it was fun to switch gears. I enjoyed taking care of the actors, and allowing the director to support them and give them enough room. My next project is set up at Universal, and I’m trying to read material and really just acquire things that I feel passionately about.

Paddy

Last edited by Eve_; 01-22-2011 at 04:49 PM
Old 01-23-2011, 12:21 AM
Elite Fan

Well shoot
I had no idea this movie was playing at Sundance otherwise I would have gotten tickets for it But they do go really fast some movies they are sold out within the first day.
Thanks for the info Eve.
It is sad this is happening in my state and you now more about it then I do
Old 01-23-2011, 09:43 AM
Extreme Fan

looks interesting never seen PD in such a role before =)
Old 01-25-2011, 11:01 AM
New Fan

Old 01-25-2011, 12:27 PM
Master Fan

Hey You're finally posting!

You'll have to upload pics to photobucket because twitpics never show here...

Paddy

Old 01-26-2011, 11:57 AM
Fan Forum Star

Hello so happy to see you here to
Old 01-26-2011, 08:22 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Who is that? Welcome here!
Old 01-27-2011, 07:38 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelle (View Post)
Who is that? Welcome here!
I met her on twitter
Old 01-27-2011, 08:59 AM
Master Fan

Dempsey spreads wings in 'Flypaper' at Sundance
Quote:
PARK CITY, Utah - Sundance has long been a place for unknown actors and filmmakers to make a name for themselves.

So it's easy to forget that it's also a place where well-known stars try to break out of the mold in which they've been cast.

This year, actor Patrick Dempsey is hoping to shed his Grey's Anatomy McDreamy role and dodge romantic-comedy pigeonholing after such movies as Made of Honor, Enchanted and Valentine's Day.

Dempsey has produced and stars in a dark comedy called Flypaper. "I'm trying to get away from how people perceive me," he says. "I'm trying to break that typecasting."

The film, a whodunit that involves a bank robbery, has its share of violence and explosions, along with humor. It also stars Ashley Judd, Tim Blake Nelson, Mekhi Phifer and Jeffrey Tambor. "It's a very eclectic group," Dempsey says.

During the $7 million shoot in Baton Rouge, improvisation played a large part.

Dempsey plays Tripp Kennedy, a guy who goes into a bank near closing time just as two different gangs converge to rob it. During a shoot-out, Tripp tackles the teller Kaitlin (Judd) to protect her. The bank's security system end-of-day lockdown kicks in, and everyone is sealed inside the building, leading to a comical cat-and-mouse game.

Even the film's director, Rob Minkoff, was taking a sharp turn after making movies such as Stuart Little and The Lion King.

In Flypaper, Dempsey's character is a man with obsessions. "My character has mental-health issues," he says. "I went to a psychiatrist to get a handle on the behaviors. (Tripp) has ADD and Asperger's. He has a quirky relationship with money. That's why he goes into the bank, then gets caught up in a bank robbery. This happens right at the same time that he's run out of the meds that keep him sedated."

Dempsey enjoyed talking to an expert to get a handle on his character. "The character was a little bit of a pivot for me, as far as what I've done up to this point," he says. "It was different and challenging. A lot of my behavior comes out of my conversations with the therapist. It was nice to sit down and talk with a professional about the disease and the behaviors."

His character and Judd's strike off sparks while trapped in the bank with the thieving gangs. "Through the course of time they're stuck in the bank together, they develop a fondness for each other," Dempsey says.

Judd ran into Dempsey at the racetrack with her race-car-driver husband, Dario Franchitti. (Dempsey has another professional life as a race-car driver.)

Dempsey sent her the script, and she read it on her BlackBerry en route to the Indy 500 banquet.

For Dempsey, the almost-month-long shoot was a long time away from his wife and three young children. "It had been a while since I'd been on location," he says. "(The cast and crew) all stayed in the same hotel in Baton Rouge, and there was one trailer where we all could watch the World Cup and get to know each other."

His first effort at producing was eye-opening, Dempsey says.

"I learned a lot of things. The technical side of things I was really learning as I was going along," he says. "We had a couple of people I actually had to fire, which was hard to do."

Easier for him was "feeling compassionate for the actors, making sure they're comfortable and supported."

Dempsey hopes audiences will take to the film, which has its premiere Friday and screens again the following day. Both performances have already sold out.

Dempsey will be in Park City for only a few hours. He flies in from the Daytona International Speedway, where he's readying for a race, then flies back to Florida after the premiere.

"I'm literally going to be there for only three hours," he says. "It should be a very interesting weekend."

My God, another impossible weekend for him!

Paddy

Closed Thread   Post New Thread