Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 12-06-2006, 02:02 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Wentworth & the Pursuit of Knowledge (mandatory or otherwise!)

Just from seeing the roles Wentworth's undertaken at this point in his career, you can tell that he's a smart man who prides himself on his intelligence and ability to reach people with insightful performances. Education was obviously important to him, hence him enrolling in an ivy league school like Princeton. I love that about him, he stuck it out even if he might never have needed his degree in English [though quite obviously its helped shape who he is and how he comes across on screen & in interviews] if he was planning to be an actor all along.

From wikipedia:

Miller's first three years of high school were spent at Midwood High School in Brooklyn. He then transferred to Quaker Valley Senior High School in Sewickley, Pennsylvania near Pittsburgh, where he graduated in 1990. In 1995, he graduated from Princeton University with a degree in English. During his time at Princeton, he traveled the world performing with the school's famed a capella group, The Princeton Tigertones.

Anyone know anyone from any of those schools? Must be nice to have an alumni of his stature!

Anyway, this thread's here for us to talk about Wentworth's schooling, what you think of him being so darn smart , how important school is to you [or isn't, if that's you], how your school experiences have been, basically anything to do with schooling because it's something we're all able to identify with! Feel free to talk about Wenty or your own experiences. I'm sure he's gone through the same stuff as us; cramming for exams the night before, buggering up an exam, pondering over what direction to take your life in after you finish school..
Old 12-06-2006, 05:31 AM
Elite Fan

Aww..what a cool thread..I have to say his education was one of the most important factors that amde me love and admire him so much..(apart from his talent, his beauty, his awesomeness, you get the picture)..

I think his life...having a proper school education..and then also going after his dream; acting...is very inspiring!
Old 12-06-2006, 06:59 AM
Elite Fan

I agree with Chrissi, it makes him even more attractive. Especiaaly since school is very important to me, too

no more running; no more hiding; no more excuses
enough already.
Lynn - golden roses - snagging @ lj
Old 12-06-2006, 07:02 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Yep, I agree with Chrissie too. The fact that he's such a well-educated man makes him even more appealing to me. Being an actor isn't all he his.

Good thread idea, btw
The jury's out, but my choice is you

Old 12-06-2006, 07:08 AM
Elite Fan

Oh yeah..he is more appealing to em too because of his education...

I laugh at young people who just say I wanna be famous..or stuff like thta..so I love that Wenty went on with his education..got a proper degree and then with hard work and determination managed to arrive where he si today...with good work choices..and that is why I love him!
Old 12-06-2006, 07:14 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Exactly. It was never his first ambition to be an actor. He knew his parents wanted him to have an education so he did that. And then he just wanted to be in the business, not in front of the camera. And it wasnt until after a lot of thought that he made the jump. And look at how well it turned out
The jury's out, but my choice is you

Old 12-06-2006, 07:26 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chittychitty (View Post)
Exactly. It was never his first ambition to be an actor. He knew his parents wanted him to have an education so he did that. And then he just wanted to be in the business, not in front of the camera. And it wasnt until after a lot of thought that he made the jump. And look at how well it turned out
My thoughts exactly! He became an actor only after lots of thoughts..and after he worked behind the camera...in this way he also knew a lot more about the business in se!
Old 12-06-2006, 11:55 AM
Elite Fan

What kind of education do you guys have? College, High School? How did you like it?

I, myself, have just finished High School.

no more running; no more hiding; no more excuses
enough already.
Lynn - golden roses - snagging @ lj
Old 12-06-2006, 12:33 PM
Elite Fan

I started college this year...but our school system is different...what we call college has only 2 years..and that we go to University.. (which is US equivalent to college I think)

I think that school is very important and I'm looking forward to starting Uni in 2 years...
Old 12-06-2006, 01:53 PM
Part-Time Fan

i started university this year..after five year of high school!!! i'm studing engineering..itz really hard but i like it so much!!

i think that a good education is really important for us..for our future...

i was really shock when i read that Wenty went to Princeton university i suppose that itz one of the most important university of the USA!!!so I think that Wenty is a real genius!! he's really smart!!

Mr. Biscottino is
avie credit
Old 12-06-2006, 04:37 PM
Passionate Fan

i'm still at high school....but i know i want to study antropology
Old 03-09-2007, 09:53 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie_tvlover (View Post)
I think his life...having a proper school education..and then also going after his dream; acting...is very inspiringa!
Definitely. Some celebs just think their career is the most important thing. It's refreshing to see someone like him showing us that education is and should be one of the most important things in a young person's life.

Quote:
I laugh at young people who just say I wanna be famous..or stuff like thta..so I love that Wenty went on with his education..got a proper degree and then with hard work and determination managed to arrive where he si today...with good work choices..and that is why I love him!
A lot of actors don't bother for higher education, once their careers pick up, and I suppose that's a disservice to no one but themselves. I think the way Wentworth is able to articulate himself [and the characters he is playing] is largely due to the education/life he's lead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_lynn (View Post)
What kind of education do you guys have? College, High School? How did you like it?
College. Finished last year though. I miss it so much now. I was thinking about it the other day, that the new year has started up and everything there is still the same, but so much has changed for me. I still miss it dearly! I was going to do post-grad studies but I thought that seemed pointless. I figure once you obtain enough skill in the required design programs [btw, I studied graphic design for those who don't know], the piece of paper I'd get at the end of those studies wouldn't be worth the time & effort.

Quote:
what we call college has only 2 years..and that we go to University.. (which is US equivalent to college I think)

I think that school is very important and I'm looking forward to starting Uni in 2 years...
Is it just me or is that a looooong time to study after high school? How long do your uni courses go for after college? Here once you finish high school [Year 12] if you choose to move onto uni, you study for a minimum of 3 years [longer depending on the course].

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuliettonzola (View Post)
i'm studing engineering..itz really hard but i like it so much!!

i was really shock when i read that Wenty went to Princeton university i suppose that itz one of the most important university of the USA!!!
Wow, engineering! Impressive!

Yeah, it's definitely something. And to know his parents are ivy-leaguers too, you just know that this education thing was something akin to family values that were instilled in him [& his sisters] from the get-go.

By the way, besides being incredibly intelligible and a silver-tongue, what does one get out of receiving an English degree? I don't know if they offer English degrees here, they might do, but I wonder - besides being a teacher - what could a person do with an English degree?
Old 03-10-2007, 05:01 AM
Master Fan

What a lovely idea for a thread!

Personally, I really admire Wentworth for his ability to (first of all) get into Princeton, but also to get an education. I find that very intelligent, and it shows that he has made some good choices in his life and that he's not just relying on his looks (like many of the other actors out there). There will come a time when his looks won't get him anywhere, and that's when you need your education to rely on. So I definitely believe that it was a smart career choice, even if he did decide to become an actor.

I am studying language at the University at the moment, I have been doing that for two years (this fall) and I have approximately three years left (depending on whether or not I will go after the international Masters degree). My hopes is to become a teacher one day
Old 03-10-2007, 05:37 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Evie (View Post)

Is it just me or is that a looooong time to study after high school? How long do your uni courses go for after college? Here once you finish high school [Year 12] if you choose to move onto uni, you study for a minimum of 3 years [longer depending on the course].

Umm, we have different courses. We start University at 18 years old(after 2 years of college). Then there are courses of minimum 4 years to even 8 years. I'm keen on taking Law which is 7 yrs long! Is that long?

I'm studying Languages too, Maltese (my native language) and English at Advanced Level.
Old 03-11-2007, 03:54 AM
Master Fan

Sounds like me then, I'm studying Swedish (my native language) and English.