Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 01-08-2005, 08:32 PM
Addicted Fan

Fun game!

1) Sally forth to Fanfiction.net. Gird thy loins. Plunge in.

2) Choose a fandom you know nothing about aside from the name, which has at least ten fics listed.

3) Read only the first page of story summaries.

4) Using what you have learned from these summaries, describe what this fandom is about.

1) Sally forth to Fanfiction.net. Gird thy loins. Plunge in.

http://www.fanfiction.net/

2) Choose a fandom you know nothing about aside from the name, which has at least ten fics listed.

I thought I should pick an anime because I really don’t know them, but in anime I can’t tell who is what gender or species from the names in anime so I went to TV and looked for one with over 1000 stories. I picked something called “Higher Ground.”

3) Read only the first page of story summaries.

Most of them just say "I suck at summaries." Yeah, that really makes me want to read your story.

4) Using what you have learned from these summaries, describe what this fandom is about.

“Horizon” is a special school for people who have lots of bad dreams. “Scott,” the main character, has a mysterious past. He has nightmares. Other people have nightmares about him and his mysterious past, too. He’s in love with “Shelby,” who cheated on him. Occasionally characters from “Degrassi” and “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” come to visit. Other characters include:

Elaine, who is a commanding office in an army.
Olivia, who suffers angst.
Manuela, who may or may not be involved with
Craig
Charlie, a street kid
David, who has nightmares
Annie, whose father doesn’t love her
Ezra
Augie
Alex, whose life is falling apart
Maiku
Jess, who has nightmares
8 un-named “new girls”
Old 01-08-2005, 08:48 PM
Master Fan

Hee, this is fun.

I chose 'Glory Days', under TV Shows.

Only 10 fics on ff.net for this fandom, and from the summaries, I have established:

Glory is a place. Ooh, clever spin on title, then.

Sam and Zane may or may not be involved. Zane is a guy. Sam seems to be female, though I can't be 100% sure.
They seem to go to Glory High.
Zane went on a date with a cheerleader in canon.

There are other characters called Mike and Ellie.

That's it.

fics | vids | stupid little life
Old 01-08-2005, 08:53 PM
Master Fan

This does sound fun.

2) I clicked on some TV show Dr. Who.

3) Impeccable summaries. I particularly like the ones of Carmen Sandiego.

4) This isn't an ordinary medical show. The doctor goes to other planets and encounters aliens. He may have had some sort of a fling with this girl Romana. The TARDIS is their intergalactic vessel. What a strange show this seems to be.

TVsodes.com- a TV episode review blog for fans by fan. - One Tree Hill, Secret Life of the American Teenager, Gossip Girl, Project Runway, and more. NOW WITH PODCAST
Old 01-09-2005, 02:50 AM
Loyal Fan

Hee, kaykayelle, you have no idea. My mom was a HUGE fan of Dr. Who when I was a kid growing up. I still think this is one of the origins of my love for cheesy Sci Fi. The Brits could do wonders with a low budget and some household utensils used in ways they were never meant to be used. Oh and believe it or not, the TARDIS is a time traveling, space traveling device shaped like... a British phone booth. Bill and Ted didn't get that from nowhere - hee.

I decided to try one.

1) I chose something under Television as well.

2) The name of the show is 10th Kingdom. It appears to be a fantasy show.

3) The summaries are generally well written, but not very discriptive.

4) The main characters seem to be a Virginia and a Wolf who I believe are married and are either actual wolves or some type of human/wolf hybrid (Werewolves?). They may or may not have a son or daughter - this is where many apparent "Mary Sues" and "Gary Sues" seem to come into play in the fanfics.

Other main characters include a Prince Wendell who is not married and is therefor another source of "Mary Sues" who are potential brides and a Tony who's role I am not certain of, but who appears to be a juvenile.

There is also a Swamp Witch, a Huntsman, and I think two characters Wilfred Peep and his brother who appear to be trouble makers. In cannon, they might have stolen some magic water from a well.

Something called "Relish" might also be involved, but it would be unpleasant - it is the subject of "Mary Sue" torment in one parody fanfic.

The Huntsman might be deceased. (one fic "brings him back to life")

There are 9 other Kingdoms which I believe are all different with distinct properties. Outsiders might potentially enter the Kingdoms through a magic mirror (isn't there always a magic mirror? Hee.) which is one source of "Mary Sues" entering.

This must be either a cartoon type TV show or a very difficult one to film if there are real wolves involved in this. It sounds like quite a strange television show.

Last edited by Night Nymph; 01-09-2005 at 03:40 AM
Old 01-09-2005, 04:43 AM
Dedicated Fan

It was a mini-series shown here in the UK about two or three years ago, Wolf was a bad guy turned good (i think) and Prince Wendell i think was turned into a dog by some evil witch and eventually was returned to human form, that's all i know about it, it was rather odd...

This game does sound like fun... i think i'll check it out...

~*Write Your Soul Down Word For Word*~

*This is Smallville Clark, Land of the Strange, Home of the Weird"
Old 01-09-2005, 04:53 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Rouge
It was a mini-series shown here in the UK about two or three years ago, Wolf was a bad guy turned good (i think) and Prince Wendell i think was turned into a dog by some evil witch and eventually was returned to human form, that's all i know about it, it was rather odd...

Okay, i've clicked on something called Port Charles

Okay, i'm guessing this is a soap of some sort because the summaries sure sound soapy enough...

Characters i've come across: Rafe and Alison and various children
Livvie, Caleb and Jack seem to feature a lot here too.

I read as much as i could stomach (sorry), so this is a soap, right? and or it was, because i'm getting the impression that it got cancelled...

Last edited by Ruby Rouge; 01-09-2005 at 05:02 AM
Old 01-09-2005, 04:59 AM
Master Fan

Oh my god! The 10th Kingdom was a mini-series and it freaking ruled! I loved it. Maybe I should go check out some of the fics.

fics | vids | stupid little life
Old 01-09-2005, 05:01 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Rouge

I was just lurking for now, I'll probably join in later... I loved the 10th Kingdom! Wolf reminds me alot of Spike from Buffy... He was a (half wolf, half human) bad guy, but because he fell in love with Virginia, he turned good and did everything he could to win her love. At the end he asks her to marry him, she agrees and they find out that she's pregnant

Dr Who is very famous, I don't know how you haven't heard of it it's probably the most famous tv show in this country. Dr Who was voted best sci-fi character of all time! (Spike came second )

This is a great game!
Old 01-09-2005, 07:06 AM
Elite Fan

Oh, that game sounds indeed like fun! Thanks for starting it, Crossbow.

1. I went to the TV section as well

2. Chose a show called Brimstone

3. The summaries don't seem too bad.

4. It appears to be a Sci-Fi/Fantasy show, no aliens, but more on the supernatural side like BtVS. There seem to be two characters Zeke and Stone (or maybe it's just one and one of the name is his surname?), who are given assignments which have something to do with tortured or lost souls and saving the world. There's apparently an Native American component to the story: It is described that Zeke finds his "Spirit Animal". Another major player in the show seems to be the Devil, who actually interacts with Zeke and Stone. From the summaries it appears that the show inspires crossovers with shows/movies like The Crow and quite some parodies, e.g. one summary says "The Devil and Zeke go Karaoke" which I found amusing.

Now has anyone seen the show?

You might want to rethink marrying the lines "Kids are dead! Kids are dead!" ("Happy days are here again.").
Old 01-09-2005, 10:14 AM
Addicted Fan

1. Went to tv.

2. Chose Seven Days.

3. The summaries aren't terrible, but they're mostly very short.

4. The main character is Frank Parker, who is something called a "Chrononaut." Sometimes they call him Frank, sometimes they call him Parker. He does something called "Backstepping", which I assume means going back in time to complete some sort of missions. I think he must use a machine to do this, because several summaries mention lightning bolts and power surges that send him back in time. He has a love interest named Olga. There's something called the "NNL" but I can't figure out what that s.

icon credit
Old 01-09-2005, 01:45 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki K
Oh, that game sounds indeed like fun! Thanks for starting it, Crossbow.

1. I went to the TV section as well

2. Chose a show called Brimstone

3. The summaries don't seem too bad.

4. It appears to be a Sci-Fi/Fantasy show, no aliens, but more on the supernatural side like BtVS. There seem to be two characters Zeke and Stone (or maybe it's just one and one of the name is his surname?), who are given assignments which have something to do with tortured or lost souls and saving the world. There's apparently an Native American component to the story: It is described that Zeke finds his "Spirit Animal". Another major player in the show seems to be the Devil, who actually interacts with Zeke and Stone. From the summaries it appears that the show inspires crossovers with shows/movies like The Crow and quite some parodies, e.g. one summary says "The Devil and Zeke go Karaoke" which I found amusing.

Now has anyone seen the show?
I have!!!.. it was a great show that starred Peter Horton (used to be in Thirtysomething) as Zeke and John Glover played the Devil. It was on about '99 or 2000 or thereabouts and was a supernatural show that only lasted one season. Zeke was brought back from the dead to return evil souls to hell and in return he'd get his life back. I loved this show, it was spooky, atmospheric etc and as i said, only lasted one season. Not sure about the "spirit animal" angle. I think Zeke's surname was Stone but as it was shown a while ago (it was never repeated), i'm not 100% sure.

Old 01-09-2005, 03:17 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scythe
Dr Who is very famous, I don't know how you haven't heard of it it's probably the most famous tv show in this country. Dr Who was voted best sci-fi character of all time! (Spike came second )
When was it on?

And for the person who did Port Charles: yes, it was a soap. I don't believe that it is on anymore; I could be wrong, though.

TVsodes.com- a TV episode review blog for fans by fan. - One Tree Hill, Secret Life of the American Teenager, Gossip Girl, Project Runway, and more. NOW WITH PODCAST
Old 01-09-2005, 11:49 PM
Loyal Fan

Kaykayelle - I'm not exactly sure when it was on in Britain, but it was on for years and years during the 70's (probably 60's and 80's too) on PBS in the states. There were no fewer than 5 different incarnations of the Doctor and probably just as many (if not more) "sidekicks". My Mum's favorite Doctor was Tom Baker who was probably on for about 5 years worth of shows, but at least 4 other actors also played the part. I think another's name was Peter Gallagher.

My favorite sidekick was a cavegirl who's name I no longer remember (Leela?), but she always walked softly and carried a big, sharp knife.

Last I heard at last year's Dragon Con convention, there was talk of reviving the show again, but I don't know who would play the Doctor this time.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:41 AM
Dedicated Fan

Dr. Who is still hugely popular in the UK with a massive cult following and new episodes are being made now with Christopher Ecclestone playing the Doctor. It started back in the sixties and a few actors have played the lead role, Tom Baker, Peter Davidson, Sylvester McCoy,Paul McGann to name but four. It was on regularly in the sixties, seventies and eighties. I loved the show as a kid.

And it was me asking about Port Charles, thanks for clearing it up

Old 01-10-2005, 10:11 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykayelle
When was it on?

And for the person who did Port Charles: yes, it was a soap. I don't believe that it is on anymore; I could be wrong, though.
For ages! And there were a number of different people who played Dr Who too. It's probably the English equivalent of Star Trek in popularity... That could be pushing it a little...