Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 02-06-2005, 07:20 PM
Master Fan

Favorite Fic That You Have Written

This thread is simple. Tell what your favorite fanfic that you have written and why it's your favorite.

TVsodes.com- a TV episode review blog for fans by fan. - One Tree Hill, Secret Life of the American Teenager, Gossip Girl, Project Runway, and more. NOW WITH PODCAST
Old 02-06-2005, 07:46 PM
Master Fan

What a fab thread idea!

Erm... I write 'virtual episodes' for Young Americans, and have done so for the past four years. Usually I'm not very impressed with what I've written, and I think out of the 34 'episodes' I've written thus far, I've really only been happy with one. Season 5 episode 5: Fear and Consequence. I liked it because I thought I used some good language in there, and also because the plotline at that point was quite grim, and I like writing about desolation. The episode 'soundtrack' is also one of my favourites.

I'm also quite happy with a recent fic I'd written, also Young Americans. The Forgotten. It's a short story about a love triangle, but there's a twist. The initial premise of YA was that Hamilton fell in love with Jake, whom he thought was a guy; but it turned out that Jake was in fact a girl, Jacqueline, in disguise. This story deals with the possibility that Hamilton really fell in love with 'Jake', but never Jacqueline. The third person in the love triangle was only tangible to Hamilton and nobody else. I've been toying with this idea since forever, and I'm glad I finally committed it to writing. The style is more languid and descriptive than my usual, and I think of it as an experiment that went right. I also drew a lot of parallels to Shakespeare's Twelfth Night, which I was quite proud of.

fics | vids | stupid little life
Old 02-07-2005, 02:08 PM
Addicted Fan

Happy Ending is my favorite because it's my first story. Not only my first fan fic, but my first creative writing of ANY kind in twenty years. I'm totally amazed that it came out so well.

The one I had the most fun writing was Fun With Shakespeare: Romeo and Juliet. I was sad when it was done. I'm working on a sort-of sequel now, "Much Ado," but it's not as much fun because I'm not as interested in the characters and the play itself doesn't have as much meat to it.
Old 02-07-2005, 05:32 PM
Master Fan

My favorite of mine is Paging Dr. George. It's not all that great, but it's a lot more plausible than my other stuff. Plus, I invented a whole new character- and he worked really well. But, even more than that, I think what makes me love it so much is the length. It's 35 chapters and 62042 words; I didn't think I could do it. I had one other long story, but I gave up because I just couldn't write it anymore. I stuck with Paging and, in the end, I had a pretty decent piece of fanfic, IMO.

I'm also quite fond of my two one-parters. They always turn out to be much more well written than everything else combined. Maybe I should just stick to those.

TVsodes.com- a TV episode review blog for fans by fan. - One Tree Hill, Secret Life of the American Teenager, Gossip Girl, Project Runway, and more. NOW WITH PODCAST
Old 02-07-2005, 10:32 PM
Loyal Fan

I'm glad you listed yours, kaykayelle, because I was about to ask for it when I didn't see it in the opening post.

My favorite fanfiction that I wrote is In His Shadow, because it was my first long fanfiction. The idea had been kicking around in my head for a while, and it was great to finally see that idea expressed and getting a response from people. Because it was my first long fic, it actually still chronicals an improvement in my writing over time (one reveiwer actually pointed out the chapter(s) where it really improved). It has provoked the most passionate responses, both positive and negative, of any of my fics so far. It also has an original character that people commented on in reviews, meaning that I made the character interesting enough to merit discussion - not always easy, at least for me, in fanfic.

Like Silversun, my very first fic no longer exists in its original form. It was revamped significantly about a year after its first posting with revisions that were actually suggested in a review, so it no longer really represents a "first effort".

My story A Renewed Nostalgia for Nail Polish also holds a special place in my heart, because it was the first humorous story I'd ever attempted. It was also my first story that I'd tried where I hadn't already written out the ending, so it was a great feeling when after I'd gotten stuck, that the ending just came to me in an almost "Eureka!" moment. I'll send some of those vibes your way kaykayelle, because that moment really does feel good when the ending finally comes to you.
Old 02-08-2005, 05:24 AM
Absolute Fan

I think my favorite was an ER Carter/Abby one I wrote 3 years ago called Love Dies Last. It's far from being my most popular one, but I liked it a lot then and I still do now. It was simple, sweet, and captured the characters really well.

I also like The Scarlet Letter. It's Jack/Kate from Lost. I wrote it a couple of months ago and I like it because I think it dealt with pregnancy in a simple way. Pregnancy fics tend to be exaggerated. Emotions are always running high - positive or negative. This fic deals with it in a much simpler way, so I like it.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:29 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Nymph
My story A Renewed Nostalgia for Nail Polish also holds a special place in my heart, because it was the first humorous story I'd ever attempted. It was also my first story that I'd tried where I hadn't already written out the ending, so it was a great feeling when after I'd gotten stuck, that the ending just came to me in an almost "Eureka!" moment. I'll send some of those vibes your way kaykayelle, because that moment really does feel good when the ending finally comes to you.
"A Renewed Nostalgia for Nail Polish" also has like the best summary ever.

I had that "Eureka!" moment during Act IV of my "Romeo and Juliet" story. I didn't know what to do about Friar Lawrence for the longest time, and then when it finally hit me, I got the giggles and jumped up and down, and then I spent like three days congratulating myself on it.
Old 02-08-2005, 05:17 PM
Master Fan

I love those eureka! moments. You figure one thing out, then the rest just comes and all you want to do is write. That's the best part of writing fic.

My moments usually come in the shower. Just about all of them that I can remember did actually.

Old 02-09-2005, 01:21 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossbow
"A Renewed Nostalgia for Nail Polish" also has like the best summary ever.
Hee. Thanks, Crossbow. I was trying for something to give the flavor of the story - and warn everyone what to expect - without giving away too much of the plot.
Old 02-09-2005, 02:51 AM
Passionate Fan

My favourite fic I've written is A Very Good Exucse, it's really the first fic I've done, finished or not, that I can look back at and go, "Yeah, I did okay there." It doesn't make me cringe with embarassment, and I'm vaugely proud of that.

Although, there is the little factor of a name-change I still have to make but I'll do that when I'm not so busy being lazy.
Old 02-09-2005, 02:58 AM
Dedicated Fan

"A World Without Clark Kent" which is posted up at a couple of Smallville related sites and also at another fan fic site (not Fanfiction.net). It's basically my interpretation of "It's A Wonderful Life" Smallville style. For me, it just flowed from beginning to end when i normally work up to a point and then get stuck, i wrote this one in about a week.

~*Write Your Soul Down Word For Word*~

*This is Smallville Clark, Land of the Strange, Home of the Weird"
Old 02-09-2005, 04:05 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykayelle
I love those eureka! moments. You figure one thing out, then the rest just comes and all you want to do is write. That's the best part of writing fic.
Does anyone else starting sniggering maniacally when they get a eureka! moment? Or is it just me?

fics | vids | stupid little life
Old 02-10-2005, 09:55 AM
Master Fan

I guess mine would have to be My Teenage Years My very first fanfic, writing for Queer as Folk fandom. I just mostly like how I mixed characterizations being possible because I write this as an AU fic. And also the shocking factor of the characters and the situations - like mentioning of Rape, and Revenge, heartbreak and oh so great angst I am really quite attached to this story that I have planned a trilogy for it.

Freak vs Jock Was an actual challenge that I did, and I loved it so much. Just the idea was really good. I like this because of a plot I introduced of cheating. I ended it at Chapter 15 and have no intention of going back to it- because I'm such an angst queen I ended on a very sad note - My readers want me to write a sequel for it, but don't you just think when its the end its the end no matter what?

Old 02-10-2005, 10:00 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversun
Does anyone else starting sniggering maniacally when they get a eureka! moment? Or is it just me?
Yes, I do. And then I tell anyone in the immediate vicinity how clever I think I am.
Old 02-11-2005, 01:44 PM
Master Fan

Favorite fic I've written is Picnic. It's a "The O.C." fic and was written for a 'naked Ryan' challenge.

It's not even smutty - just fun. And I had fun writing it.
The Lord is my shepherd.