Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 10-27-2006, 01:16 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Jake Gyllenhaal Appreciation Thread #3: We're proud to be Gyllenhoes

Welcome to the Jake Gyllenhaal Appreciation Thread

banner by Mel

Brown-haired with fresh-faced good looks, thoughtful young actor Jake Gyllenhaal made an impressive mark with a starring role in the 1999 feel-good favorite "October Sky". While this marked his starring debut, he had appeared in prior films in small supporting roles, debuting in 1991's "City Slickers" with a brief turn that earned acclaim from screen dad Billy Crystal, if not public notice. Forbidden by his parents to take a role in Disney's successful hockey comedy "The Mighty Ducks" (1992) as it was a two-month long location shoot, Gyllenhaal next appeared in the little-seen children's adventure "Josh and S.A.M." (1993), playing a mean stepbrother to the title characters. The son of director Stephen Gyllenhaal and screenwriter Naomi Foner, the actor was also featured in two of his father's films, "A Dangerous Woman" (1993, also scripted by his mom) and "Homegrown" (1998).

The following year Gyllenhaal made his starring debut in "October Sky", a film based on the real life story of NASA engineer Homer Hickham Jr. The young actor played Hickham, a boy interested in rocket science whose brilliant mind and staunch dedication, even in the face of a discouraging father, wrote him a ticket out of his dead-end mining town. Although he had relatively little film experience, his performance in "October Sky" proved Gyllenhaal an actor on the ascent. Featured in nearly every scene, he emerged as a highly watchable screen presence, giving a most compelling and sincere performance. While his unassuming good looks and scholarly lifestyle didn't grab many headlines, his talent and respect for his craft would promise the likable new arrival a bright future in film.

It wasn't long before Gyllenhaal got a chance to shine again, when he starred in the haunting fantasy film "Donnie Darko" in 2001. Also that year, he starred in the offbeat comedy "Bubble Boy" as well as the drama "Highway" with Jared Leto and Selma Blair. In addition, Gyllenhaal starred opposite Jennifer Aniston in "The Good Girl" (2002) as well as having appearing in the Nicole Holofcener directed independent film "Lovely and Amazing."

Gyllenhaal's most high profile role would come in "Moonlight Mile"(2002) where he starred with Dustin Hoffman, Holly Hunter and Susan Sarandon. He played a young man whose fiancé is accidentally killed and who finds himself spending a great deal of time grieving with her family. Gyllenhaal was nearly cast as the superhero Spider-Man for the sequel "Spider-Man 2" (2004) when a dispute between the role's originator, Tobey Maguire, and the studio almost resulted in recasting (Gyllenhaal was also romantically involved with the franchise's female lead, Kirsten Dunst). Instead, he was cast in another big-budget summer film that went head-to-head against the "Spider-Man" sequel: in director Roland Emmerich's disaster film "The Day After Tomorrow" (2004) Gyllenhaal played the son of a climatologist (Dennis Quaid) who is trapped in New York City as a new ice age descends on the planet.

The actor then had his most creatively productive year to date in 2005, appearing in no less than four features. First up was "Proof," director John Madden's film adaptation of David Auburn's Pulitzer Prize winning play, in which the actor played a self-effacing math student who idolizes his brilliant but schizophrenic teacher (Anthony Hopkins) and forms a tenuous bond with his troubled daughter (Gwyneth Paltrow). The film featured Gyllenhaal's most mature work to date, and positioned him well for future roles as a romantic leading man who could hold his own among acting heavyweights. If "Proof" was confirmation of his talent, his next feature that year was a revelation: "Jarhead" (2005) was director Sam Mendes' insightful, psychological adaptation of former U.S. Marine Anthony Swofford's bestselling memoir of his service during the 1990 Gulf War in Iraq, and Gyllenhaal turned in a startlingly deep and effective portrayal a Swoff, a naive, callow youth who enlists in the Marine Corp and is highly trained to be a sniper, but finds himself mired in paranoia, boredom and existential angst when he is stationed in Iraq but not allowed to put his skills to use as nations stood on the brink of war. Gyllenhaal was thoroughly convincing and took his performance to dark, probing places that had not seemed likely earlier in his career, appearing to mature on screen as the film unfolds.

Even better was Gyllenhaal's turn in director Ang Lee's haunting and heartbreaking drama "Brokeback Mountain" (2005), an adaptation and expansion of E. Annie Proulx's renowned story which cast the actor as Jack Twist, who on a 1960s sheep drive across a mountain range enters into a homosexual relationship with his closeted fellow ranch hand Ennis Del Mar (Heath Ledger), an agonizing romance that continues sporadically over several decades. Gyllenhaal's character is far more open and expressive than his partner, and the actor convincingly portrayed the enduring emotions—as well as aging convincingly—in a performance that showed even more depth and sensitivity than any he'd attempted previously. After a high-profile no-show at the Golden Globes (he was not nominated), Gyllenhaal earned an Oscar nod for Best Actor in a Supporting Role. Meanwhile, Gyllenhaal spent the remainder of 2005 filming “Zodiac,” a crime thriller about the famed serial killer who may have been responsible for 37 murders around San Francisco from 1966 to 1978.

Two things to remember when posting on this thread:
1. Anything that doesn't fit on any of the threads should be posted here.
2. Please do not go off topic, talk should always, always be about Jake!

The Official Gyllenhaalics aka Gyllenhoes List
1. Shnicky
2. Pacey'sgirl
3. Jenkneesuu
4. sharon_marmon
5. iLuVsPiKeNmiLo224
6. tav552
7. Mary_Lynn
8. WildAtHeart
9. surfrusty
10. jules83
11. ocfan27
12. Shiny_happy people
13. ***BLONDIE***
14. -cris-
15. diavoletta89
16. teena1013
17. csikicksurass22
18. little miss greg sanders.
19. elliz
20. jopace1970
21. becoolsodapop
22. SammySmiles
23. ScorpioGrl
24. Foxy*
25. i heart jai
26. only dreaming
27. DreamWalker
28. L i N d $ @ y
29. Mei Zhuo
30. Elyx
31. stolen kisses
32. -CrazyBeautiful-
33. jaymeleigh
34. Gangsta Gangsta
35. GracesAngel
36. Sadeyes9074
37. Insanitic

Steps on how to be a Gyllenho!
You...
1. should be a post whore
2. are in love with Jake
3. are obsessed with Jake
4. want to marry Jake
5. want to sleep with Jake
6. had dreamed about Jake him numerous times both day or night (awake or not)
7. should be addicted to his pictures, videos, movies, quotes, body... etc... etc..
Above all, YOU SHOULD LOVE THE OTHER GYLLENHOES!

Official icon:

Job Description: Collects, records, analyzes, and disseminates strategic, or entertaining intelligence information for any Jake sightings/news or even gossips. Segregates and records incoming intelligence data according to type of data to facilitate comparison, study, and accessibility (in short to divide whether something is a fact or just a gossip). Maintains intelligence libraries, including an account on photobucket, imageshack or even on youtube for all the Jake pictures, videos and other stuff worth sharing.

Motto: Sharing is caring!

Official Gyllenho Song: Dirty Little Secret - All American Rejects

Official Siggy: I am a Gyllenho! (If you wanna be a Gyllenho, promote his board, add this to your signature, aye?)
To add: I am a [url="http://www.fanforum.com/f238/"]Gyllenho![/URL*] (just delete the *)

PM the thread starter to be added.

Last edited by bring me home; 06-22-2007 at 08:22 PM
Old 10-27-2006, 02:06 AM
Moderator Manager

first post! add me up! though i can't promise to be here everyday but i'll try my best to drop by.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 10-27-2006, 02:27 AM
Fan Forum Hero

i added you up already, linds. welcome aboard!

Old 10-27-2006, 08:52 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Linds Welcome! You gotta drop by here as often as you can!

teena Oh, I love the new thread and its title. Thank you for starting it. I'll go ahead and change our link on the navigation thread.

What were we talking about on the previosu thread?
Old 10-28-2006, 01:40 PM
Moderator Support Team

Yay new thread! And that's right...we're darn proud!
Old 10-28-2006, 04:48 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Aw, Mel If there's a space on your sig for the Gyllenho part, we'd be so happy.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:03 AM
Elite Fan

omg, i can't believe i'm not on the list! someone please add me

and for the new thread, great start!

av
Old 10-31-2006, 01:22 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Oh no, Fla You aren't on it. That's not acceptable. Let's wait for teena to add you. She'll be here in no time.

And can I say I love your icon so damn much?!
Old 10-31-2006, 02:25 AM
Fan Forum Hero

gay, we were talking about waiting for zodiac on the previous thread. oh, and we were trying to cheer up sharon by telling her to fantasize about a naked jake

fla, i added you on the list already i didn't even notice that you weren't there. i thought you were in there since before.

Old 10-31-2006, 06:55 AM
Fan Forum Hero

i'm gyllenho so add me...i'm totally in love with him
Old 10-31-2006, 09:05 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elyx (View Post)
Yeah, I'm in love with him too

Happy Halloween Gyllenhoes
"pacey I love you, you know that and it's very real." ~ Joey to Pacey 6x24 (dawson's creek)
Old 10-31-2006, 12:44 PM
Loyal Fan

my friend sent me a link to a video for Rock the Vote. Jakey is in it. i wish i could post it but you have to be a member of the website to view it. sorry ladies.

I'm a Gyllenho! -- #6
Keeper of Jake's stare and tummy
Old 10-31-2006, 01:33 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tav552 (View Post)
my friend sent me a link to a video for Rock the Vote. Jakey is in it. i wish i could post it but you have to be a member of the website to view it. sorry ladies.
I think I've seen that one. Is it with Peter too? I remember seeing something off iheartjake a long time ago.

Could you save it and post it maybe?
Proud Gyllenho #4
Old 10-31-2006, 02:31 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elyx (View Post)
welcome to the crazy club, sweetpie.

Tina What's that? Hmmm... I haven't seen that. Can you post a link maybe?
Old 10-31-2006, 10:36 PM
Loyal Fan

i found a link on youtube

I'm a Gyllenho! -- #6
Keeper of Jake's stare and tummy