Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 04-16-2006, 10:09 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Donnie Darko Appreciation Thread: Dark. Darker. Darko.

banner by Klink

banner by ***BLONDIE***

Let's talk about Jake's performance in this movie.

Last edited by HappySquared; 07-23-2007 at 03:42 AM
Old 04-20-2006, 09:30 AM
Fan Forum Star

Okay..sooo we need to get this bumped And I need to make an art! I'll have to find some pics

Jake was awesome in this movie
Old 04-20-2006, 11:41 AM
Extreme Fan

I loved Jake in this movie, its so good. I need to watch it again soon
It's real Sara, you and me. It's real

Old 04-26-2006, 10:39 PM
Total Fan

This is Jake's forward in The Donnie Darko Book. The book is pretty cool. It's got an interview with the writer/director, the screenplay, pages from The Philosophy of Time Travel, and images and sketches from the film.

Quote:
What is Donnie Darko about? I have no idea, at least not a conscious one. But somehow I've always understood it. The most amazing thing about making this movie, for me, was the fact that no one- including the man from whose mind it emerged- ever had a simple answer to this question. And that, ironically, is the very thing the film is actually about. There is no single answer to any question. Every person's explanation differs according to how they were brought up, where they were brought up, who brought them up. This seems like a very simple answer to a perplexingly comples movie, but when you think about it, it gets to the very crux of what we all seem to take for granted: our own minds, how they differ, and that we are all entitled to our own interpretation.
The struggle begins when, at a certain age, a kid starts to experience the effects of his childhood and the possibility that his upbringing was flawed. It's hard to accept the idea that there is no ideal. Nothing is perfect. The hardest part, though, is when he or she begins the search for his or her own idea of what is right. It's scary to search. You never know what resistance you might meet.
America is a culture that prides itself on supporting this kind of inquiry but, in fact, it often inhibits self-expression. Too often we are encouraged to be passive, not to challenge our leadership, not to inquire too far. And popular culture often reflects this passive relationship. Kids know when it's Britney Spears's birthday, but they probably couldn't tell you the name of America's Vice-President. Not to diss Britney Spears: I think she's hot. I bought her last record. And not to diss Dick Cheney either: he's provided a lot more drama than some of our leading screenwriters. But who's to blame?
None of this is our fault. We are products of our culture. But we can't be afraid to speak our minds.
And it is this that makes Donnie Darko so cool. Richard Kelly used the backdrop of the 80s, a mainstream style of filmmaking (his hero is Spielberg-who rocks, by the way) against itself, to be subversive. To give us something different from what we're used to. In the words of Donnie himself, "to change things."
Call it cult. Call it genius. Call it what you will, but the fact that Richard has chosen not to spoon-feed his audience a simple conclusion to the film requires his audience to participate in the process of figuring it out with him.
There aren't a whole lot of people doing this.
When we were working, I would beg and plead with Richard to find one through-line and an understandable conclusion. He never would. Some could argue this was detrimental to the film. And it might be to any other film. And there are those who would say that it was to this one. But I wish those people could spend a day with me sometime. So they could sit at a meal, or walk down the street when a total stranger walks up and starts a philosphical discussion about what exactly Donnie Darko is about. It makes my day every time. Because every time, I answer, "I have no idea, what does it mean to you?"

~Jake Gyllenhaal (May 2003)

"Of the many different lives that can be lived, which is the one that's going to inspire you?"- Naomi Barr
Old 04-27-2006, 06:31 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Sam is here! And thanks for bringing that over.

Aw, makes me wanna watch the movie more. Jake had just aroused me to watch it.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:19 AM
Total Fan

Quote:
Sam is here! And thanks for bringing that over.
Hey! I really love what he wrote. Funny, insightful, and interesting. I love that he's been published.

"Of the many different lives that can be lived, which is the one that's going to inspire you?"- Naomi Barr
Old 04-27-2006, 02:12 PM
Extreme Fan

he was amazing just incredible but i have to say that he scared the hell outta me
Old 04-27-2006, 07:59 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
What is Donnie Darko about? I have no idea, at least not a conscious one. But somehow I've always understood it. The most amazing thing about making this movie, for me, was the fact that no one- including the man from whose mind it emerged- ever had a simple answer to this question.
I especially love how he opened this composition. It draws interest so that readers will continue to read.
Old 05-15-2006, 06:02 AM
Fan Forum Star

Ok..this thread needs some action! And Gay...grab that art from the picture thread..and put it in here
Old 05-15-2006, 10:11 AM
Addicted Fan

You know, I think I'm the weird one here because I've only watched this movie once all the way through. I've put it in other times, but always get side-tracked with something else. So, I think tonight I'll watch it again, and tomorrow I'll open a discussion.

That's my plan, and I'm sticking to it, for now.
Proud Gyllenho #4
Old 05-15-2006, 04:08 PM
Fan Forum Star

Ok...you open a discussion and I"ll join in..after Prison Break
Old 05-15-2006, 05:18 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkneesuu
Ok..this thread needs some action! And Gay...grab that art from the picture thread..and put it in here
I PMed Klink and asked if we can use her art. I'm going to put it up as soon as I got a go signal.

Yeah, guys, tell me more about the movie. I haven't seen it.
Old 05-15-2006, 06:46 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shnicky
I PMed Klink and asked if we can use her art. I'm going to put it up as soon as I got a go signal.

Yeah, guys, tell me more about the movie. I haven't seen it.
You've never seen Donnie Darko?!?!
Old 05-16-2006, 05:28 AM
Addicted Fan

I didn't get the chance to watch it because I watched CSI Miami and fell asleep. But I will try to watch it today.
Proud Gyllenho #4
Old 05-16-2006, 05:54 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkneesuu
You've never seen Donnie Darko?!?!
Nah, I'm still looking for the dvd here in Manila.