Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2007, 12:54 PM
Master Fan

HP & The Half Blood Prince Movie Thread #1 ~ because this one's all about Ron!

Welcome to the Half-Blood Prince Movie Discussion Thread #1

This thread is dedicated to the soon-to-be-produced and sixth Harry Potter movie in the franchise, The Half-Blood Prince. Rupert has been confirmed to reprise his role of Harry’s red-haired best mate, Ron Weasley. The movie is scheduled to start principal photography in September 2007.

Confirmed Cast:

Daniel Radcliffe......... Harry Potter
Rupert Grint ........ Ron Weasley
Emma Watson........ Hermione Granger
Michael Gambon..... Albus Dumbledore
Maggie Smith.......... Professor McGonagall
Alan Rickman......... Severus Snape
Robbie Coltrane...... Rubeus Hagrid
Ralph Fiennes......... Lord Voldemort
Julie Walters........... Mrs. Weasley
Mark Williams........ Arthur Weasley
Jason Isaacs............. Lucius Malfoy
Tom Felton............. Draco Malfoy
Oliver Phelps........... George Weasley
James Phelps............ Fred Weasley
Bonnie Wright.......... Ginny Weasley
Matthew Lewis......... Neville Longbottom
Evanna Lynch.......... Luna Lovegood
Natalia Tena............ Nymphadora Tonks
Clémence Poesy.......... Fleur Delacour
Helena Bonham-Carter.... Bellatrix Lestrange
Helen McCrory............... Narcissa Malfoy
Jessie Cave................. Lavender Brown
David Bradley.............. Argus Filch

Unconfirmed Cast:

Chris Rankin............. Percy Weasley
Devon Murray............ Seamus Finnigan
Joshua Herdman......... Gregory Goyle
James Waylett........... Vincent Crabbe

Production Information:

Director: David Yates
Screenplay: Steve Kloves
Distributor: Warner Bros. Pictures
Producers: David Barron, 1492 Pictures and David Heyman, Heyday Films
Original Music: Nicholas Hooper
Cinematography: Bruno Delbonnel (director of photography)
Film Editing: Mark Day
Casting: Fiona Weir
Production/Set Design: Stuart Craig
Art Direction: Alastair Bullock
Set Decoration: Stephanie McMillan
Makeup Department: Nick Dudman (creature effects supervisor)
Production Management: Simon Emanuel (production manager)
Film locations:
  • The Sunday Business Post in Ireland has noted that the film's producers and WB executives have been scouting there, specifically Leinster and Munster because they "believe they have now exhausted possible locations in Britain." They are "particularly keen on Ireland, as the landscape is similar to Britain and will appear similar to the settings of the previous films."
  • It is also confirmed that the crew are now scouting around Cape Wrath in Scotland for the cave scene.
  • Lacock has been confirmed as a location the producers are interested in utilizing. Church Street, Lacock, in Wiltshire county in England to be more precise.
  • Leavesden Studios in Hertfordshire will also still likely to be utilized as in previous films.
  • Gloucestershire Cathedral, the backdrop for Hogwarts scenes in the first two Harry Potter movies has just been confirmed as a filming location, according to this article in The Citizen
  • The crew will be in the area of Abbotsbury to shoot a two-minute clip of reed beds for the movie. Only the production team, Harry's stunt double and the director, David Yates will be at the location.

Principal photography will start in September 2007

As of February 2007, Stuart Craig has been designing sets for the film, including the astronomy tower where the climax of the film takes place.

Casting Information:
  • Hero Fiennes Tiffin as young Tom Riddle and Frank Dillane as the teen version are the latest announced additions to the cast.
  • Again according to CBBC Newsround has confirmed that Jessie Cave, 20, has landed the role of Ron Weasley's girlfriend, Lavender Brown.
  • According to CBBC Newsround, Helen McCrory has been cast as Narcissa Malfoy. Also, an announcement on who will play Lavender Brown and young Tom Riddle is shortly forthcoming!
    According to an interview he's given to Dark Horizons, Jim Broadbent will be taking on the role of Horace Slughorn.
  • Auditions took place in England in April 2007, though reports would not state which role the audition was for. The actor who auditioned for the role reportedly went to school with screenwriter Steve Kloves, making him about 47.
  • An open casting call was held in July 2007 for Tom Riddle. Though Christian Coulson played Riddle in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (2002), and expressed interest in returning if he was asked, Yates has commented that Coulson is too old, nearing 30, to be playing the role.
  • An open casting call was held on July 1, 2007 for Harry's classmate Lavender Brown, with whom Ron has a relationship. Over 7,000 girls turned out for the role audition. Yates has said that he plans to bring Rupert to read certain lines and kiss with the top five choices for Lavender, to see which pairing has the best chemistry.
  • Rumors suggest that actors Jack Davenport, Stephen Rea, and Peter Rnic are in negotiations, though the roles were unspecified.
  • Contrary to a July 24, 2007 report in The Courier-Mail which stated that Naomi Watts had been cast as Narcissa Malfoy, with Stuart Townsend and Joseph Fiennes, the younger brother of Ralph Fiennes (Lord Voldemort), also being cast in unspecified roles, this report has been refuted, the three actors’ representatives have all made statements, as of July 25, 2007, and reported on HPANA, that their clients are not lined up to take part in HBP.
  • Bill Nighy has expressed interest in appearing in this film. Friends with director David Yates, he joked with him "that maybe now I wouldn't be the only actor in England who hadn't been in Harry Potter." Yates has suggested that he is considering Nighy for the role of Minister of Magic, Rufus Scrimgeour, but is uncertain whether the character will be in the finished screenplay or not
  • At the U.S. premiere of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, producer David Heyman confirmed to HPANA the casting of two 11-year-old red-haired children for Half-Blood Prince. The actors -- Taylor Triphook (a boy) and Katie Head -- will play minor twin characters who are not culled from JK Rowling's sixth novel. Heyman did not elaborate further.

Featured Articles:

The Joy of Six ~ by Steve Daly

...Or Maybe Not...!

Story Synopsis:

The war against Voldemort is not going well; even Muggle governments are noticing. Ron scans the obituary pages of the Daily Prophet, looking for familiar names. Dumbledore is absent from Hogwarts for long stretches of time, and the Order of the Phoenix has already suffered losses.

And yet...

As in all wars, life goes on. Sixth-year students learn to Apparate -- and lose a few eyebrows in the process. The Weasley twins expand their business. Teenagers flirt and fight and fall in love. Classes are never straightforward, though Harry receives some extraordinary help from the mysterious Half-Blood Prince.

So it's the home front that takes center stage in the multilayered sixth installment of the story of Harry Potter. Here at Hogwarts, Harry will search for the full and complex story of the boy who became Lord Voldemort -- and thereby find what may be his only vulnerability.

Last edited by darcybennett; 11-19-2007 at 09:05 AM
Old 07-25-2007, 01:09 PM
Fan Forum Hero

can't wait for the movie i really hope that Jason Isaacs plays Lucius again...he does such a great job and that James and Oliver Phelps play Fred and George again...love them!!
Thor/Loki Charles/Erik Kirk/Spock Zachary/Chris Dexter/Deb Nev/Max Thorin/Bilbo Neal/Peter John/D'avin Thomas/Newt Conrad/Devon Stiles/Scott Richie/Eddie
Old 07-26-2007, 03:31 AM
Elite Fan

Great idea darcy!!

I cannot wait for this movie, its really close and I loved the book, except for all the Lav part
Old 07-26-2007, 10:19 AM
Master Fan

Finally. I've waited so long for more scenes to be given to Rupert since he's such a natural on screen and we're finally going to get it!

Well, I personally exicted for the whole movie, including Lavender. I hope the girl they pick and Rupert have chemistry, but Rupert makes chemistry with everyone.

I was really worried about Kloves coming back since he only uses Ron for comedy relief and makes him really dumb, which he isn't but with David directing I have such a better feeling about it.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:22 AM
Elite Fan

YouTube - TheSnitch.co.uk at OOTP European Premiere (Part 1) ( look at 3.23.)

YouTube - LA OotP Premiere ( look at Rupes)

Questions about movie 6, Lav/Hermione/Ron

- I'm not worried about Kloves, cause David is the director still he can't mess up
Old 07-26-2007, 12:29 PM
Master Fan

Thanks for the links, Sabrina! I'll have to wait until I'm home to watch them, but I look forward to them.

I'm not worried about Kloves' scripting of HBP. He had given Ron a little more of an edge in GoF, I'm sure he'll do him justice in this one as well; and like you've mentioned, with David returning as director, he'll make sure it happens.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:20 AM
Elite Fan

Mh I just wanted to bring the casting list but I heard it was all just a rumour with Naomi Watts playing Nacrissa Malfoy
Old 07-27-2007, 11:44 AM
Master Fan

Yeah. I know. One minute it was confirmed she was going to play Narcissa and the next it's all blown out of the water.

If you'd all like to keep abreast of all the latest info, castings and otherwise, you can check out the first post. It'll always be updated with the latest reports and news heard and confirmed.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:16 PM
Elite Fan

Just found this articel about the HBP movie Its pretty new I think:

http://www.rupertgrint.net/images/ew...cial%20001.jpg
Old 07-29-2007, 04:36 AM
Moderator Manager

FINALLY. a thread to discuss this upcoming movie.

i can't wait for it. basically for the R/Hr scenes. but mostly for the White Tomb scene. i know i'm gonna cry again. i hope they show the Cave too, with the Inferi because its so creepy.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 07-30-2007, 07:23 AM
Master Fan

Well, I would imagine there'd be some version of it, Lindsay, as what happens in the cave precludes the confrontation on the Astronomy Tower. But it's definitely exciting to think about what scenes may or may not make the final cut. I certainly hope that a good majority of the R/Hr moments are going to be there... I wonder if they'll have Movie!Slughorn! snub Ron as he does in the book version... or if they'll downplay it somehow.

Thanks for linking that article, Sabrina! I'm so glad David is back as director and that Kloves' has included a lot of Jo's writing for the movie.

I'll put it up in the first post now.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:27 PM
Elite Fan

So what do you guys think will be cut/changed in this? I hope nothing cause everything was major important besides its the movie before the end so
Old 07-30-2007, 12:48 PM
Master Fan

i cant wait for HBP to comeo ut - its going to be soooo good!!!! its all about Ron thats for sure!!
Old 08-02-2007, 04:42 AM
Elite Fan

One month for the filming!!
Old 08-02-2007, 08:46 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaParTyGirL (View Post)
So what do you guys think will be cut/changed in this?
Well, we already know they're planning to have Quidditch, young Riddle and the Lavender/Ron/Hermione triangle... we also know that they're looking to cast Horace Slughorn, so I guess we can only assume that we'll see moments in his Potions class, the Slug Club parties, Harry having to retrieve his real memory of Riddle asking about Horcruxes. I imagine that they'll probably include the confrontation on the Astronomy Tower as that is a very important moment. As well as Draco helping Death Eaters attack the school and the ensuing battle(s). I also can only assume that they'll show Harry and Ginny becoming closer and getting together. I can't see them cutting out Dumbledore's funeral as that's also key to what will transpire in DH.

As for any other parts, I'll have to re-read the book to refresh my memory.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread