Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2005, 02:28 AM
Part-Time Fan

Why are female artists under represented and over criticized in the music industry?

I'm 18, mostly surrounded by young adults and teenagers. I'm mostly exposed to mainstream artists (the ones whose videos are shown, get the most radio airplay, top the CD sales and billboard charts, etc.) so I may not have all the facts about the music industry. But based on what I've observed, I have noticed the following:

1. There are virtually no females in the rock/alternative and hip hop genres.
2. Female artists tend to be solo. Girl groups or bands practically don't exist. Sure, there are some lead female vocalists, but the rest of the band is male.
3. All the famous female artists seem to be in the pop/r&b genre.
4. Pop music is considered a joke and not "real music."
5. Hence, the majority of mainstream female artists are under the subject of excessive criticism. When I hear the phrase, "__________ can't sing", it's almost always about a female artist (ex: Ashlee, Jessica, Hilary, Ashanti, Avril, the list goes on...).

Maybe, it's just a pop music thing, and female artists happen to dominate this particular genre. But why must females, in order to be mainstream, be restricted to this genre? Are they not as capable of playing instruments? Do they simply not have the voice to sing rock? Are they not capable of being in a group without the stereotypical "jealousy" and "cattiness" that is assumed to go on in girl groups?

An explanation that I can come up with is that in order to be a successful mainstream female artist, she has to sell her image alongside (or maybe even more so) than her music. With males, a rock singer can be ugly and wear simple t-shirts, and no one cares because the music is what matters.

Any thoughts?
(Remember that I'm talking about the overall picture in the mainstream music scene. So don't simply try to prove me wrong by naming examples of female bands, female rock singers, etc.)
Do You Know
Destiny's Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 11:27 PM
Loyal Fan

I agree with you. Sad, but true. I'm not that familiar with indie bands, but the few that I have seen were mostly male. Non-mainstream genres like country and gospel, however, have greater female representation IMO. But overall, pretty much all music genres other than pop are male-dominated. Sadly, like you said, it's the whole image thing. We live in a world where women are valued as sex objects. But I disagree with the constant insults of on how pop singers aren't real artists. Sure, there are many who lip-synch, especially if dancing is involved, but many pop singers can indeed sing and sing live. I am especially sick of the Ashlee Simpson hate; that online petition against her is ridiculous. I am not really an Ashlee fan, but poor girl, people just won't stop trashing her. Once again, I think it has to do with image. IMO, she's not as pretty as the other pop princesses, so she can't be valued for her looks, so she must be worthless. Also, it could be because she's a pop artist who's trying to be rock.
Just keep on fighting...
Cyber Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 09:01 PM
Dedicated Fan

uuumm what about gwen stefani
she's a female
in a band
a rock band no less

GWENS#1FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 09:15 PM
Master Fan

For starters, I find it disgusting turning on the tv in the morning when Video Hits is on and seeing all these female singers running around with barely anything on. I don't see what lewd dancing and barely there clothing has to do with music.

But, anyway. That's just my opinion.

Most of the bands/artists I like are male. I think that's just because I'm really picky when it comes to female voices (I generally just don't like them).

I can think of quite a few female artists, though. Tegan and Sara, Tori Amos, The Donnas, Sleater-Kinney, Le Tigre, Kittie (all girl metal band), Jack Off Jill...
And others that are fronted by females like Little Birdy, Veruca Salt, Tsunami Bomb...

Ok, they're not mainstream, really. But I think they're taken more seriously than mainstream artists..
Old 02-19-2005, 05:43 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWENS#1FAN
uuumm what about gwen stefani
she's a female
in a band
a rock band no less

You obviously didn't read the entire post. She said don't just post examples.

Icon
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 05:51 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destiny's Child
I'm 18, mostly surrounded by young adults and teenagers. I'm mostly exposed to mainstream artists (the ones whose videos are shown, get the most radio airplay, top the CD sales and billboard charts, etc.) so I may not have all the facts about the music industry. But based on what I've observed, I have noticed the following:

1. There are virtually no females in the rock/alternative and hip hop genres.
2. Female artists tend to be solo. Girl groups or bands practically don't exist. Sure, there are some lead female vocalists, but the rest of the band is male.
3. All the famous female artists seem to be in the pop/r&b genre.
4. Pop music is considered a joke and not "real music."
5. Hence, the majority of mainstream female artists are under the subject of excessive criticism. When I hear the phrase, "__________ can't sing", it's almost always about a female artist (ex: Ashlee, Jessica, Hilary, Ashanti, Avril, the list goes on...).

Maybe, it's just a pop music thing, and female artists happen to dominate this particular genre. But why must females, in order to be mainstream, be restricted to this genre? Are they not as capable of playing instruments? Do they simply not have the voice to sing rock? Are they not capable of being in a group without the stereotypical "jealousy" and "cattiness" that is assumed to go on in girl groups?

An explanation that I can come up with is that in order to be a successful mainstream female artist, she has to sell her image alongside (or maybe even more so) than her music. With males, a rock singer can be ugly and wear simple t-shirts, and no one cares because the music is what matters.

Any thoughts?
(Remember that I'm talking about the overall picture in the mainstream music scene. So don't simply try to prove me wrong by naming examples of female bands, female rock singers, etc.)

I don't know alot about the issue but in your examples list I can tell you this. I think Jessica can sing and I saw Avril do a live acoustic set once and she rocked. If you can do that you have talent. I know Ashlee has little if any vocal range at all, as for the other's.....no idea at all.

What doesn't help women in music is how they are demeaned in most video's that I see from the likes of .... well every male Rap/Hip Hop artist out there. Remember the video for Shake a tail feather? Now look at 50 cents video Candystore...not only is the song disgusting but the video as well. These are just a couple of examples and I'm sure people can think of lot's of others. Sure they are made to blank out the 'bad' words but the damage is done. Everyone knows what they are seeing/hearing and can fill in the blanks. This is just one facet of this situation. I'm sure there isn't one easy answer.

Icon
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 09:22 AM
Ultimate Fan

As you said, the music is what matters. But you have to consider that a nice image sells, sex sells, and all that stands for having more money.. that's the main thing the industry cares about.

Naturally, they do care about talent, but if the talent comes with the appropiate image.. even better. Besides, a nice whole package (talent and image), gives fans something to look up to and sells easier.

For instance: the parfumes market... it's just essence or whatever wrapped up in a fashionable or nice customized bottle. People like what they SEE so they buy it.

If you are watching videos, the main focus, is to actually enjoy the video you are seeing. If you look nice, more people tune in.

All this devolopement has to do with current trends. And the music industry is not just going to risk their money if it's not worth it.

Oh and yeah, how many females are into the Gothic scene, or like Heavy Metal? Not many, more males are into it. It's a natural course. No one forced this. Once more females enjoy metal, more female artists will arise in that genre.
barelylegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 04:51 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by barelylegal
As you said, the music is what matters. But you have to consider that a nice image sells, sex sells, and all that stands for having more money.. that's the main thing the industry cares about.

Naturally, they do care about talent, but if the talent comes with the appropiate image.. even better. Besides, a nice whole package (talent and image), gives fans something to look up to and sells easier.

For instance: the parfumes market... it's just essence or whatever wrapped up in a fashionable or nice customized bottle. People like what they SEE so they buy it.

If you are watching videos, the main focus, is to actually enjoy the video you are seeing. If you look nice, more people tune in.

All this devolopement has to do with current trends. And the music industry is not just going to risk their money if it's not worth it.

Oh and yeah, how many females are into the Gothic scene, or like Heavy Metal? Not many, more males are into it. It's a natural course. No one forced this. Once more females enjoy metal, more female artists will arise in that genre.

EH

Old 02-19-2005, 08:06 PM
Ultimate Fan

GWENS#1FAN Could you please expand that "Eh" please?
Old 02-19-2005, 09:22 PM
Master Fan

I think female artists are "over-criticized" because I think I think they're more of a role model than male artists are. Don't get me wrong, I think male artists can totally be idols to fans, but I think for the most part, guys are idolized for different reasons that girls. Like, a guy can be liked for his ability to play whatever instrument and not his looks. For girls though, everything counts. Looks and talent -- the whole package. A lot of teenage girls like certain singers because they can [somewhat] sing but are extremely beautiful. You don't see a lot of guys saying "I want to look like [insert male artist]! He's so handsome."

As for the whole "sex sells" thing, it's true! I know that I lost respect for Jewel after her last album (for obvious reasons.. ), but I read that her last album was her best-selling CD. Anyway, people like contraversy and scandal. The media plays it up because they know we'll lap it up.

I think that there aren't many female (fronted OR all female) rock/alternative and hip hop/rap artists because it's totally male donimated. Over in Europe, they don't have a lack of female fronted rock/metal bands. There are so many! And they're all fairly popular too. I just hope the rest of the world will catch on because I dunno about you guys, I do prefer a woman's voice to a man's.

One thing I can't stand though, is (like Christina sang about ) that artists like 50 Cent and etc can parade scantilly clad women around their videos, practically have sex with one (or all) of them and not get blasted for that! I guess it boils down to the "traditional" role for women.

Sorry if none of this makes any sense. It sort of looked good when I read it over.
Old 02-19-2005, 10:28 PM
Extreme Fan

I think that it's horrible that some self respected, talented women, start objectfying themselves after a certain point and become total sex objects where it seems the music doesn't matter anymore. Case in point, Jewel. Amazing singer/songwriter, but I have lost all respect for her due to her new image. At first I thought it was a joke. Which the Intuition video is, I think. But then she kept going with it. It has become not about her music, but about her image. I knew that the second I saw her on something on VH1 and her skirt was shorter than Beyonce's. Which says something.

Another woman I think let it go to far was Gwen Stefani. She to is an amazing singer and songwriter, who I have always been a big fan of. But starting with Rock Steady, it seems that her role as a role model has gone down with the fact that she stopped wearing shirts. She always prided herself on reinventing herself and being able to have girls look up to her. But how can she be a good role model if she doesn't wear clothes? I love Gwen, but I don't agree with what she's been putting out there.

I also think that it's horrible that women refuse to change the way their looked at in the media. If they refused to be in the rap video's (btw, 50 Cent's Candyshop infuriates me) or other things like that, maybe we would have people that could sing better and not have the image be the whole package.

Amy Lee of Evanesence(sorry if I spelled that wrong) she is a beautiful woman, who doesn't dress in nothing, and has an amazingly haunting voice.
and on the pop side of things, Mandy Moore. She doesn't objectify herself either.

I too wish that there were more women in rock music that could be good role models, or that women weren't judged the way that they are when it comes to music and image.

Sorry if none of this made sense. It's late, but I had to say something because I feel very strongly about this.

Star

GCH

Last edited by ~*Star*~; 02-19-2005 at 11:05 PM
~*Star*~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 10:42 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by barelylegal
GWENS#1FAN Could you please expand that "Eh" please?

the EH means what ever

Old 02-19-2005, 11:01 PM
Master Fan

Star That's so very true, especially about Jewel.

barelylegal here in Adelaide there's actually a whole lot of females into hardcore/metal music. I'm not sure about the goth scene because that's not my style, but I go to a lot of local hardcore shows and, while all the bands are male, there are a lot of female fans.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:18 AM
Ultimate Fan

a n d i Maybe this will inspire more Riot Grrrl action. Nifty, you live in Australia. I want to vist it one day. (in order to see The Vines, lol)

lost lullaby Oh man, I remember that! (about Jewel) When she did that change.. whoa... it just didn't seem her anymore. I hoped the video was ironical, because I couldn't believe she would change herself to suit the masses.

I have nothing against Britney doing provocative videos, because that reflects her personality. But when someone changes her true-self just to accomodate the publics interest...
Old 02-21-2005, 12:14 AM
Master Fan

barelylegal I hope so. oh, I hope you get out here some time. It's nice. Also, I find it funny how we're talking about female's being objectified and you've got that hunky topless guy on your icon. There's irony for you.