Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2014, 04:57 AM
Master Fan

Rachel's Role in "Southpaw" Discussion/Spoilers #1: We Can't wait to see her opposite Jake Gyllenhaal!

Southpaw Discussion Thread

Cast
Rachel McAdams ... Maureen Hope (rumored)
Jake Gyllenhaal ... Billy Hope
Lupita Nyong'o ... Angela Rivera (rumored)
Forest Whitaker ... Titus 'Tick' Willis (rumored)

Official Plot *MAJOR SPOILERS*
Southpaw centers on cocky, aggressive, volatile middleweight champion Billy Hope. He expects to ride out his career with his massive winnings, his adoring fans, his beloved wife Maureen and their 10 year old daughter Leila. When Billy’s temper triggers a fight, and then a shootout that leaves Maureen dead, Billy finds his life spiraling out of control. He takes to drinking and doing drugs, ignores the heart-broken Leila, and ignores his finances. When he loses his house, his money and finally Leila, who winds up in a group foster home, he begins to find his way back to some kind of balance with the help of amateur trainer Titus “Tick” Willis, who has his own demons but who turns out to be the perfect trainer for Billy.

Production Notes
The Weinstein Company and Hope Films in association with Richie Productions, Escape Artists, and Fuqua Films are now prepping to shoot the feature film Southpaw starring Jake Gyllenhaal, Rachel McAdams, and Forest Whitaker. The movie will be directed by Antoine Fuqua and the screenplay is written by Kurt Sutter. Filming will take place in both Pittsburgh and Indiana from mid-June through early-August.
Official Links
IMDB Page

Old 06-07-2014, 04:59 AM
Master Fan

The OP is very simple but I will work on it when I finish my exams next week but I wanted to start a thread so we can discuss the movie already

EDIT: Deadline is reporting that Miguel Gomez joined the cast:
Quote:
Miguel Gomez has booked a role in director Antoine Fuqua’s boxing feature Southpaw. Written by Kurt Sutter, the pic stars Jake Gyllenhaal as an up-and-coming fighter who loses everything in a moment of rage and has to start from the bottom to get his life back. Gomez will play his ring rival Miguel “Magic” Cantu. His credits include Louie and The Domino Effect, and he next will be seen in FX’s upcoming drama The Strain and the feature Pacific Standard Time. Gomez is repped by Greene & Associates, manager Eli Selden and Jackoway Tyerman.
http://www.deadline.com/2014/06/kait...-blood-father/

Last edited by winterbird; 06-07-2014 at 05:14 AM
Old 06-07-2014, 01:06 PM
Dedicated Fan

I wonder if that plot is updated or what, because it sounds like the daughter plays a major role in the movie, but they haven't cast the daughter yet? Also, that plot disappoints me bc we won't be able to see Rachel and Forest Whitaker in a scene together

Also also also: The #McGyllenhaal Project.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:41 PM
Part-Time Fan

I wasn't sure whether I should be posting this under the news/sightings section, or here, but thought this was more relevant to Southpaw than anything else...

Looks like Rachel and Jake were in New York to watch a boxing match in New York at Madison Square Garden, as per these tweets:

Quote:
My dad is sitting behind Rachel mcadams

https://twitter.com/realjackydrizzy/...78505502040064
Quote:
Ringside at MSG: @MikeTyson, Jake Gyllenhaal, Rachel McAdams and more in our #CottoMartinez pre-fight photo gallery Photos: Cotto vs. Martinez Pre-Fight Gallery — Inside HBO Boxing

https://twitter.com/HBOboxing/status/475470728868139009
Below are some pre-fight photos from the official HBO website:

Last edited by nick1982; 06-08-2014 at 01:34 AM
Old 06-07-2014, 11:52 PM
Master Fan

These photos are SO CUTE I DIEEEEEEEE.
Old 06-08-2014, 12:47 AM
Dedicated Fan

i love her new hairrrrr!!!!

EDIT

She dressed up for the boxing match omg

Check out @oldmanriversoul's Tweet: https://twitter.com/oldmanriversoul/...63990090014720

And omg don't they look cute together?? I guess they strategically placed the other guy between them so they wouldn't create rumours LOL. Maybe the guy is like a boxing coach or something, and is supposed to help with all the boxing lingo and stuff.

THEY LOOK SO ADORBS together awwwh.

Last edited by Rikayla; 06-08-2014 at 03:50 AM
Old 06-08-2014, 05:41 AM
Master Fan

Thank you so much for all the sightings everyone! It's a pretty cool way to do pre-production work And I agree with you Wendy, I mean the internet went crazy by an instagram picture and this match (and audience) was aired on HBO so they probably wanted to avoid the attention.

It does look like they had dinner or maybe some drinks together afterwards:
Quote:
I just served Rachel McAdams and Jake Gyllenhall and I won't stop smiling for days....
https://twitter.com/Hannah_Renz/stat...78139494469633
I also think they aired some footage of Rachel during the match, came across this tweet:
Quote:
SO THEY'RE WATCHING A BOXING MATCH AND THEN I SAW RACHEL MCADAMS ON THE SCREEN BC SHE'S THERE OMG SHE'S FLAWLESS
https://twitter.com/shxmrockniall/st...77659494146048
And I think this fan picture could be of Rachel with director Antoine Fuqua:

Quote:
Chatting with Rachel McAdams!
https://twitter.com/plongo777/status/475509050453786624
Old 06-08-2014, 01:15 PM
Dedicated Fan

ohhh, so the guy was antoine fuqua LOL
Old 06-09-2014, 04:53 AM
Master Fan

I'm 99% sure it's director Antoine Fuqua with them. Candid shot of outside the venue:

Picture from a few weeks of him and Jake over here.

EDIT: I came across this instagram from hollywoodbulletin and thought this some interesting additional info:
Quote:
we're told they were there with production staff members as well to research for the movie
http://instagram.com/p/pCAMaRK_0w/

Last edited by winterbird; 06-09-2014 at 12:32 PM
Old 06-09-2014, 12:54 PM
Master Fan

Thanks for all the info and posts, guys! I didn't even realize that he was sitting between Rachel and Jake, I thought they were seated completely separately.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:23 AM
Master Fan

I know I'm turning this thread into a McGyllenhaal shipping one but I have to post these:
Quote:
On Saturday in New York, spies said Gyllenhaal and McAdams appeared together at Lugo Caffe across from MSG before the bout.

“They arrived together and sat next to each other,” said a spy, adding the actors were “in deep conversation.” They stayed for an hour at the packed party and “looked happy and very friendly.”

Gyllenhaal wore a casual black baseball cap and jeans while McAdams went with a little back dress, and they headed over to the fight together.

Other sources have said they are friendly co-stars doing research for their film in which Gyllenhaal plays a pugilist.
More: Jake Gyllenhaal and Rachel McAdams fuel dating rumors | Page Six
And this amazing fan fic by Vanity Fair:

Quote:
Rachel McAdams gets lunch with Jake Gyllenhaal.
Jake puts salt on his arugula salad, and Rachel gives him a funny smile: “That’s weird. Who does that?”

Jake nods his head up at some photographers across the street. “They’re gonna say we’re daaaaaaating.”

“Naw,” Rachel shakes her head. “They’re over us. We’re, like, grandparents, you know. They’re onto, you know, Selena Gomez and Pluto Bobblegood.”

“Pluto Bobblegood?”

“I feel like all the actor guys under 24 have names like that. Pluto, Shell, Edgehill.”

Jake laughs. “Yeah, you’re right. I’m like, ‘Hi, I’m Jake,’ and they’re like ‘Hi, I'm Pluto from the Disney Channel show Hey, I'm Pluto! When I was 7, my friends and I watched Donnie Darko, like, 9 times in a row! You’re my hero. Can we selfie this out?’”
Imagined Celebrity Connections: What Did Brad Pitt Get Angelina Jolie for Her Birthday? | Vanity Fair
Old 06-10-2014, 03:54 PM
Dedicated Fan

they`re probably just getting together at these business lunches and dinners, so they have good on-screen chemistry together when filming starts ;DDDD
Old 06-10-2014, 08:15 PM
Master Fan

Exactly, because we know there's no way they'd ever at all be interested in each other whatsoever otherwise.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:23 AM
Master Fan

US Weekly also confirms it:
Quote:
Don't start thinking up couple nicknames for Jake Gyllenhaal and Rachel McAdams yet. Though the two have been spotted out together multiple times in recent weeks -- including at the Miguel Cotto vs. Sergio Martinez fight in New York City on June 9 -- sources tell Us Weekly they're meeting for work and are just friends.

Rumors about the pair's status have been picking up steam ever since early June, when they were seen having dinner together at Pittsburgh eatery Meat and Potatoes. A fan posted a picture of them on Instagram -- and things took off from there.

An insider tells Us, however, that Gyllenhaal, 33, and McAdams, 35, are simply doing their due diligence to prepare for their new film, Southpaw, which stars the Nightcrawler actor as a boxer. "They've just been meeting about the movie...It's really coming together," the source says, noting that they have "good chemistry." Adds another source: "Jake and Rachel are just friends."

The Notebook alum does have some history with Gyllenhaal, though. Back in 2010, the A-listers were paired together as presenters at the Academy Awards.

As for their most recent outing to Madison Square Garden for the Cotto/Martinez match, where they were photographed arriving in the same car? "It's research for the film," the first source tells Us. "Jake's been going to a few fights, and they've been meeting with the boxers...They were there to watch the fight and chat with the trainers and people involved with the sport."

The insider says that Gyllenhaal (linked most recently to model Alyssa Miller) wants to really get into the mindset of a boxer, and has been spending a lot of time with director Antoine Fuqua. "Jake is totally behind the project," the source shares.

Besides that, McAdams -- who looked stunning at the fight in an embellished little black dress and heels -- is still dating Patrick Sambrook, the second insider tells Us. The two were seen engaging in PDA as recently as early May. (Her other exes include Ryan Gosling and Michael Sheen.)
Jake Gyllenhaal, Rachel McAdams Fuel Dating Rumors, Are Just Friends - Us Weekly
ETA: I think Rachel might be in Pittsburgh already, came across this tweet and the person who tweeted it is from Pittsburgh:
Quote:
Jose is discussing with Rachel McAdams how much I love her
https://twitter.com/LiaaaaaZ/status/476522214595248128

Last edited by winterbird; 06-11-2014 at 08:45 AM
Old 06-11-2014, 08:01 AM
Dedicated Fan

i'm just happy that they are in a movie together to be honest. I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR A CHEMISTRY-FILLED MOVIE WITH JAKE GYLLENHAAL FOR SO LONG lol.

bring on the on-set photos pls.