Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2016, 08:17 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerette89 (View Post)
I'm a bit torn about the writers splitting them up. On one hand, I hate straight-married-with-children-for-everyone-even-couples-that-dated-in-high-school type of stories. On the other hand, Angela and Shawn seem like a fascinating couple that I would love to see last (preferably non-married because I'm not a big fan of the institution of marriage). But even if the writers firmly decided to split them up for whatever reason, I think they could have been more respectful towards their past relationship.
I think that's the main issue that people have. It seemed like their relationship just got treated disrespectful in a way which people can't forget or forgive...
Old 10-10-2016, 08:37 PM
Obsessed Fan

It really wouldn't have reflected poorly on Shawn's current relationship with Katy at all if they didn't undermine Angela/Shawn. But unfortunately many tv writers feel the need to undermine the past relationships for the sake of the one they are focusing on at the moment. Maybe it's the "there can only be One True Love" mentality (which I'm personally not a big fan of) or something.
Old 10-11-2016, 04:45 PM
Fan Forum Hero

^ Exactly! Just because someone starts a new chapter, it doesn't mean that they forget the previous chapters. TPTB could have handled Shawn's transition from Angela to Katy better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternal◘fate (View Post)
I can totally feel the frustration. A lot of us were happy for GMW because of all the characters reuniting and hopefully some pairings but with Shawn/Angela, it was like no care.
I know. I held onto the belief that they found each other somewhere down the line. My bubble burst when I found out that that's not what happened.

Quote:
I'm a bit torn about the writers splitting them up. On one hand, I hate straight-married-with-children-for-everyone-even-couples-that-dated-in-high-school type of stories. On the other hand, Angela and Shawn seem like a fascinating couple that I would love to see last (preferably non-married because I'm not a big fan of the institution of marriage). But even if the writers firmly decided to split them up for whatever reason, I think they could have been more respectful towards their past relationship.
I know how you feel. Angela played a big part in Shawn's growth, and vice versa. I think they (and we) deserved a lot better than to find out that they just ended and that was it. I would have liked to have been eased into the news, instead of the feeling that I got when they just blurted out that Angela had married somebody else and that she was thinking of having children with him.
Old 10-11-2016, 09:22 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky845 (View Post)
I know. I held onto the belief that they found each other somewhere down the line. My bubble burst when I found out that that's not what happened.
I guess for Shawn/Angela fans, it's not that great that GMW came out.(
Old 10-15-2016, 01:22 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Friends

Quote:
It really wouldn't have reflected poorly on Shawn's current relationship with Katy at all if they didn't undermine Angela/Shawn. But unfortunately many tv writers feel the need to undermine the past relationships for the sake of the one they are focusing on at the moment. Maybe it's the "there can only be One True Love" mentality (which I'm personally not a big fan of) or something.
I completely agree. If the writers had instead gone with the path 'Shawn & Angela really loved each other, but life got in the way & the broke up, then they both move on & fall in love with other people' I'd be so much more likely to embrace Shawn/Katy, but as it is, no. Plus, it kinda makes me lose some respect for the writers

riley and auggie

Old 10-15-2016, 07:04 PM
Fan Forum Hero

^ Well said. I wish TPTB had gone that way. It would have hurt to know that they weren't going to be together, but at least it would have given us time to come to terms with their ending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternal◘fate (View Post)
I guess for Shawn/Angela fans, it's not that great that GMW came out.(
I agree. After a show ends and you see that your ship doesn't end up together, sometimes you have that hope that they found their way back to each other. I love that bubble of possibilities. When that show continues on and addresses that ship's status as not together, it can be crushing to shippers who spent years believing that the ship got their happy ending. I would have preferred not knowing that things didn't work out with this pairing.

“i wanna be with you more than anybody in this entire world.”
x

Oh, the memories are so beautiful!
Old 11-13-2016, 05:26 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Friends

They are beautiful memories, I just wish they could have been honored better
Old 11-14-2016, 12:17 AM
Fan Forum Hero

^ So do I. Their relationship was a big part of both of their growth and maturity. I would have wanted there to have been a bit more of a cushion or preparation by TPTB to ease viewers into the status of their current relationship.
Old 11-29-2016, 05:34 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Friends

Same, it all happened pretty quickly. I wish Angela had come for a handful of eps instead of just one, to have the whole thing pan out a little slower - plus, to honor Angela better. Yes, the writers screwed up Shawn/Angela, but they screwed Angela too. They completely forgot about her friendships with Cory & Topanga too
Old 12-03-2016, 12:43 AM
Fan Forum Hero

^ In a perfect world, that's the way it would have happened. I don't know what the thinking behind the closure all happening in one episode was, but considering everything they went through together, I thought that they, as well as the shippers, deserved a proper goodbye/closure. They went through so much together and they meant so much to each other.

x

I remember this scene! Shawn took Angela to a fancy restaurant, thinking that that's what he was supposed to do, but neither one of them felt comfortable there, so they asked Eduardo to just bring them burgers and fries instead.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:57 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Friends

Yep, they realized they needed to be themselves!

& they stopped trying to be like Cory & Topanga
Old 12-06-2016, 04:58 PM
Fan Forum Hero

^ That is true. I think that Shawn and Angela trying to follow the same relationship course that Cory and Topanga were on held them back. When they broke free from that path and they decided to just be themselves and to do what they felt comfortable doing, their relationship became their own.
Old 12-16-2016, 12:39 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Friends

Exactly! & they literally settled that issue in the first episode they began dating, so I have no idea why people act like that was an issue throughout their entire relationship.....
Old 12-18-2016, 02:11 PM
Fan Forum Hero

^ It's been a while since I've watched Shawn and Angela's courtship, so I could be wrong about this but...I think the whisper and influence of Cory and Topanga's relationship might have gone deeper than they thought. Even though they might have tried to make their relationship their own, there may have been a part of them that did want to be on the same level as Cory and Topanga.
Old 12-19-2016, 05:25 PM
Dedicated Fan

I gave up on GMW a long time ago for a lot of different reasons (no offense if you're still enjoying the show). The way the writers handled Angela/Shawn was a huge disservice to their fans in my opinion. I have a hard time believing these are the same writers that created and wrote BMW. What happened? It's like night and day. I didn't need Shawn and Angela to end up together (did I want that yes?) but their history should have been respected. Instead, it was tarnished for the Shawn/Katy pairing. A relationship that had didn't have any build up. It was forced from the get go. Honestly, Shawn's wedding wasn't even about him it was about Maya. Michael Jacobs claimed that it's not realistic for Shawn to end up with Angela. But apparently, it's realistic for him to end up as the stepfather of his best friend's daughter's best friend (keep in mind Riley randomly decided she wanted Shawn to be Maya's dad and Cory jumped on the bandwagon, such a stupid storyline)? I don't buy it. I've read too many real life stories about people reuniting old loves. I think it would have been far more interesting to see a storyline about Shawn & Angela needing time apart to grow up before eventually reuniting with each other. I think it would have made more sense and it's certainly a better explanation for his absence. Seriously, does the show even mention Shawn? He's supposed to be a huge presence in Maya's life but without the actor it's pointless. Anyway, it really is too bad. Now that I'm older I feel like I love Shawn/Angela so much more than Cory and Topanga.

Last edited by Destined to Be; 12-19-2016 at 11:02 PM
Closed Thread   Post New Thread