Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2015, 09:29 AM
Fan Forum Star

She sure need to relax and have fun, after the end of this season.

Icon: Nikki
Old 05-26-2015, 03:01 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Charmed
Patrick Dempsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShepherds (View Post)
She sure need to relax and have fun, after the end of this season.
for sure

derek shepherd | charmed | borrowed heaven | 💚 𝓳𝒶𝒿𝑒
Old 05-26-2015, 10:04 PM
Master Fan

I hope she goes to Europe at some point this summer and posts pretty pics from there.

Every time I think of everything Meredith endured this past season, my heart breaks for her. Ellen really portrayed her powerfully. I particularly like how in the scene where she puts on Derek's ferryboat scrub cap, there were absolutely no words needed.

Also, I love how Meredith brought her patient's baby to him to see for the first time and inspire him to fight for his life in the season finale. No one connects to patients better than Mer.
Old 05-27-2015, 03:37 AM
Fan Forum Star

I love when she went to Italy. So many pretty pics.

Mer always connected with the patients. Always loved to see that.

Such a beautiful powerful moment when she put on the ferryboat scrub cap. And without words. I hope she will always wear it.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:34 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShepherds (View Post)
Mer always connected with the patients. Always loved to see that.
Yes, so true. For some other doctors on the show it's a lot about egos and seeing themselves as superheroes. Meredith truly cares about the lives she's saving.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:52 AM
Master Fan

Mer never did anything that she did because she was arrogant and wanted to be better than everyone. In season 4, she started the trial to save lives, not so she would make medical headlines. I doubt that crossed her mind until she saw Derek's face on the front page of that medical journal, and of course she was rightfully upset that she wasn't given credit. But it wasn't about making a name for herself then. Not once did we hear her say during the course of the trial that she wanted to be a "superhero" or the face of modern medicine. She wanted to save lives.

Same with the Alzheimer's trial. Obviously she cared too much, like Derek said, which is why she altered the trial and messed everything up.

I just don't understand why she didn't fight more for Derek, because I've read of numerous cases where a patient was misdiagnosed brain dead, especially at a low-resourced hospital like the one Derek was at. Meredith in earlier seasons would have at least asked for a new CT, she would do everything she could before pulling the plug. She should have fought for Derek, like he fought for her when she drowned. Like Richard fought for her too. Heck, she DIED and for all practical reasons should've died, yet she's still alive.

I get she froze, but it just felt so OOC. And how she was so cold when she told Derek to go. So OOC. Then again, it's Shonda's vindictive writing. I can't try to make sense of it.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:59 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah, Meredith being in that much of a shock/denial was a bit OOC for me too. I mean, I can see that she'd do that, but not so much with Derek.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:02 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG Stargirl (View Post)
Yes, so true. For some other doctors on the show it's a lot about egos and seeing themselves as superheroes. Meredith truly cares about the lives she's saving.
This! She truly cares about her patients, more than the credit like most.

Shonda wanted Derek died full stop, she didn't care about anything else. Episode 21 was a joke with awful writing, no wonder all the backlash and even the aftermath. Barely anything on Meredith and her feelings other some shots, flashbacks.. and all the Ellis stuff, which Shonda is obsessed about.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:30 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkxtwisty (View Post)
Mer never did anything that she did because she was arrogant and wanted to be better than everyone. In season 4, she started the trial to save lives, not so she would make medical headlines. I doubt that crossed her mind until she saw Derek's face on the front page of that medical journal, and of course she was rightfully upset that she wasn't given credit. But it wasn't about making a name for herself then. Not once did we hear her say during the course of the trial that she wanted to be a "superhero" or the face of modern medicine. She wanted to save lives.

Same with the Alzheimer's trial. Obviously she cared too much, like Derek said, which is why she altered the trial and messed everything up.

I just don't understand why she didn't fight more for Derek, because I've read of numerous cases where a patient was misdiagnosed brain dead, especially at a low-resourced hospital like the one Derek was at. Meredith in earlier seasons would have at least asked for a new CT, she would do everything she could before pulling the plug. She should have fought for Derek, like he fought for her when she drowned. Like Richard fought for her too. Heck, she DIED and for all practical reasons should've died, yet she's still alive.

I get she froze, but it just felt so OOC. And how she was so cold when she told Derek to go. So OOC. Then again, it's Shonda's vindictive writing. I can't try to make sense of it.
The viewers were absolutely not given enough medical information to be making judgments such as this. Especially unqualified fans with very little medical knowledge. Here's what I do know, Meredith looked at his chart. She knows better than any fan out there who did not see what the chart said about vitals, labs, scans, etc. To judge Meredith on whether she fought hard enough for the love of her life? You're not qualified enough to do that. She even said it was probably too late for organ donation. He was that far gone. Here's what the show did let the viewers know ... the hospital made mistakes beyond repair. Not Meredith, the hospital. They even had Derek spell it out for us, he knew his exact fate sadly. The bottom line is ... it was written so that Meredith arrived too late. They were clear about that. I think Derek's death was horrific enough for Mer/Der fans that for people to start pinning blame on Meredith is really uncalled for and isn't even something that aligns with the information the episode did give about his death. Listen to her speech to the doctor that came to talk to her about signing the papers to remove life support - there's your answer to whether or not Derek had any hope left whatsoever. Shonda made sure of that. Meredith had nothing left to fight for.

Meredith cold at his death scene? You mean as the tear is going down her face and her eyes full of tears and she just had finished vomiting outside? That kind of cold??? Nope. The only thing left of Derek was his body that was already battered and failing (thus the lack of possibility for organ donation) so OF COURSE she told him it was okay to go ... in these situations it is VERY common for loved ones to say that to the person who has irreparable pain. Nobody wants them to suffer longer a second longer than they need to.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:39 PM
Master Fan

Oh jeez. Yeah, yet the unqualified intern in season 2 who was told by Derek - neurogod himself - that there was no way the patient could've been looking at her. Yet she still fought for him, and it turned out she was right.

Meredith didn't fight at all. She looked at his chart for three seconds and gave up hope. The Meredith we knew would've wanted every ounce of proof he was gone and there was nothing she could do. I wouldn't have trusted the charts of THOSE doctors, who didn't even know to get a CT from the beginning. I'm not a qualified doctor, but I would've known he was stable, you get a freaking CT. They were idiots. She should have gone out of her way to make sure their chart was even accurate.

And I don't care what you say, it was a cold the way she said it. "You go. We'll be fine." No "I love you" even. It was a personal message from Shonda to Patrick. I kept waiting for it, and I was stupid to think that they replayed his death in ep22 to have her say it, but she didn't. She didn't say it at all this season. Derek said it. We know he loved her, but I've questioned her love for him all season and within good reason. She certainly didn't act like she loved him imo, and I'm not talking about just 11x21. All season she acted like she'd rather be without him than with him, but she chose to stay with him out of obligation or fear of being alone. It would have been nice to hear her say it at least once this season, but no, they couldn't even give us that.

You don't need to lecture me about losing loved ones.

Last edited by darkxtwisty; 05-27-2015 at 01:49 PM
Old 05-27-2015, 01:51 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Oh jeez. Yeah, yet the unqualified intern in season 2 who was told by Derek - neurogod himself - was told that there was no way the patient could've been looking at her. Yet she still fought for him, and it turned out she was right.

Meredith didn't fight at all.

And I don't care what you say, it was a cold the way you said. "You go. We'll be fine." No "I love you" even. It was a personal message from Shonda to Patrick.
Seriously? How is this even an argument? That patient wasn't in the same shape as Derek ... I think they even said he had minimal brain activity. No comparison. Derek wasn't tracking anyone with his eyes. Also, Meredith might have been an intern but she was a doctor who had graduated from medical school.

I can't believe that anyone would believe that Meredith was anything less than utterly devastated about Derek's death ... yeah, that's how she felt about the love of her life dying, "No big deal.". If you want to call someone who is crying/vomiting/in shock cold, go ahead - but I know better.

You're not the only person on this board who has lost someone - so be careful with that.

ETA: I'm sure you're right ... Meredith hated Derek and was horrible to him all the time for no reason and probably drove the truck that killed him as well.

If you want that to be your mindset of how Meredith and Derek ended as a couple, then I feel sorry for you because that's obliterating their relationship even worse than Shonda. And that's pretty bad.

Last edited by LG Stargirl; 05-27-2015 at 02:00 PM
Old 05-27-2015, 01:58 PM
Master Fan

It was cheap storyline, and I'm not the only one on this board who thinks that. I'm glad you're satisfied with Shonda's cheap storytelling. You're selling yourself short of good writing.

BTW, I like how I can AGREE with something you said, and then add my opinion on something and you just rip it apart because I don't agree with something the writers did. Apparently it's irrevocably inappropriate for a viewer to disagree with something the writers had Meredith say or do, in your eyes.

Last edited by darkxtwisty; 05-27-2015 at 02:06 PM
Old 05-27-2015, 02:05 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
It was cheap storyline, and I'm not the only one on this board who thinks that. I'm glad you're satisfied with Shonda's cheap storytelling. You're selling yourself short of good writing.
The writing wasn't the issue we were talking about. I never ever said I was satisfied with this -OBVIOUSLY I haven't been saitified with anything about Derek's death... pay attention. I have pointed out so many flaws with how everything went down I've lost count. But pinning responsibility of Derek's death onto Meredith? That's a whole different issue and way out of line.
Old 05-27-2015, 02:09 PM
Master Fan

I did not pin the responsibility of Derek's death on Meredith. You jumped to conclusions. I simply would have liked to see her look at the chart a little longer, even asked for a new CT -- transfer him back to GSMH! I've read true stories about patients being misdiagnosed as brain dead when they really weren't. It's not MEREDITH'S fault the writing was so rushed and heinous, obviously.

But Shonda had a clear mission: Get Patrick out as soon as possible, and in the worst way possible.

http://kgov.com/brain-dead
Old 05-27-2015, 02:24 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
I did not pin the responsibility of Derek's death on Meredith. You jumped to conclusions. I simply would have liked to see her look at the chart a little longer, even asked for a new CT -- transfer him back to GSMH! I've read true stories about patients being misdiagnosed as brain dead when they really weren't. It's not MEREDITH'S fault the writing was so rushed and heinous, obviously.

But Shonda had a clear mission: Get Patrick out as soon as possible, and in the worst way possible.

"Brain Dead?" You Cannot Trust that Alleged Diagnosis | Bob Enyart Live
First, you have no idea what the chart said when she read it! Secondly, at some point everyone knows this is a tv show and even the highest quality written tv show ever wouldn't extend a scene for someone to sit there and thoroughly read. Things have to happen faster because there are viewers sitting there - it's a heightened reality.

I can't judge ANYONE - real or fictional - who had to take their loved one off of life support. Ever. It's the last thing in the world they want to do. Horrible, painful decision. People second guessing them on that decision? I can't justify that.