Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 08:09 PM
Elite Fan

Ethel "Closing The Ring" (2007) #2: Discover the love of a lifetime...

Mischa filmed this project in the Summer of 2006. Currently it is awaiting distribution. Mischa stars alongside Shirley MacLaine, Christopher Plummer, Neve Campbell and newcomer Stephen Amell.

IMDB page:
Closing the Ring (2007)

Blurb where Mischa talks about it:

Quote:
She's got a TV show, movie projects and endorsement deals, and finally Mischa Barton admits: "I'm a bit of a workaholic, I've realized." Indeed. When the O.C. star and Keds spokesmodel – whom we caught up with at L.A.'s Tropicana Bar for the shoemaker's 2006 fall collection party – wraps her FOX show on May 5, she'll head to Toronto just a week later to film the World War II love story Closing the Ring. She's even spending time helping with research. "I love that period of clothing," she tells us. "We went to vintage shops – it's so cool to find a rare piece of fallen-apart clothing."

Source: People.com

Another article on it:

Quote:
Filming of an epic £20m Hollywood movie starring OC beauty Mischa Barton (left) began in Belfast yesterday. The glamorous actress is among a star-studded cast lined up to appear in the romantic movie, Closing The Ring.

The film, based on a true story, spans 50 years and is directed by screen legend Richard Attenborough. It tells the story of a plane crash at Belfast's Cavehill in 1944, involving an American B-57 bomber. A dying gunner, who perishes with nine crewmates, asks a local man to return a ring to his fiancee in the US. Fifty years later, a young man finds the ring, learns about its history and tracks down the gunner's fiancee, only to find she has married his best friend.

The movie is expected to be shot around Divis Mountains and as well as starring Barton, will also feature Chris Evans, of Fantastic Four fame, Christopher Plummer, Pete Postlethwaite and Shirley MacLaine. It is understood Barton will play the young sweetheart while MacLaine plays her as an older woman.

Barton is one of the current crop of Hollywood starlets after finding fame in the popular Channel 4 series The OC. She is also renowned for her fashion sense and is regularly voted one of the most stylish women in the world.

Source: Belfast Telegraph
A detailed plot summary can be found here. Mischa is to play Ethel. When it says "Larry", that's a typo. They mean Teddy.

A compiled list of other brief summaries.

Quote:
"The epic story of an American woman trying to honour a wartime promise viewed over half a century and across two continents."

"A woman's brief romance with a young RAF pilot during the war turns to tragedy when his plane crashes on a Belfast hillside. Decades later, when a young boy discovers the wreckage and a ring inscribed with her name, he decides to track her down, thus awakening a lifetime of painful memories for her and some surprises for her family..."

"This epic love story spanning fifty years is set in Kentucky and Ireland. It is the story of how one American woman honoured a wartime promise of love, with a lifetime of denial and how the discovery of a gold ring on an Irish hillside four thousand miles away brings her back to life."

"Set in Belfast and North Carolina over two time periods -- 1943 and 1993. Inspired by the fact that Belfast was the base for a U.S. bomber squadron in World War II. When a B-17 crashes near the city, the dying rear gunner asks a local to return his ring to his girlfriend back home. Half a century later, a young Belfast man finds the ring, learns its history and tracks down the old girlfriend, who turns out to have married the gunner's best friend."

"Closing the Ring is a film set in Belfast and North Carolina. Its first set in 1943 when a dying gunner, who was in a crash involving a United States B-17, gives a ring to a local to return to his girlfriend in the USA. Fifty years later, a man finds the ring and tracks down the girlfriend and the history of this ring. The film is currently in post production stage and set for a 2007 release, the exact release to be announced once a distributor buys the rights to this Richard Attenborough film."

"From one of the world's most respected filmmakers comes a deeply moving love story, interwoven between present day and World War II."

Here's an exerpt of an article where Mischa discusses directer Richard Attenborough and he compliments her in return:

Quote:
More recently, she played an innocent young woman in Lord Attenborough’s World War II movie, Closing The Ring. Attenborough (who had never seen The OC when he cast her) describes her performance as ‘devastating’ and compares her to Vivien Leigh.

‘Oh he’s so sweet, that’s very kind of him,’ giggles Mischa, when I relay the compliment. ‘I was thrilled to get the role — it was wonderful because Richard is so inspiring.’ She became firm friends with him, following an emotional experience the first time they met, when the director shared his grief over the tragic death of his daughter Jane, her mother-in-law Jane Holland, and his 14year-old granddaughter Lucy in the 2004 tsunami. ‘We were both crying and I felt very close to him,’ she says. ‘We talked about what he’d been through. He is very open about his loss, and you can feel the palpable caring energy from him. He just perseveres. But it seems like he’s found the right spiritual balance. I wasn’t expecting to cry, but I couldn’t help myself. I was just so taken aback — you feel love from him and he taught me such a lot.’ Because of their immediate bond, Mischa says acting for Lord Attenborough wasn’t remotely intimidating. ‘I realised afterwards that it should have been scary, but he made me feel comfortable and he had so much faith in me. He’s got a lot of patience and, being an actor himself, he knows just the right things to tell you as a director.’
Pictures

Behind the Scenes shots can be found here:
Mischa-B.com Gallery - Behind the Scenes

Candids from a dinner with the director and cast members:
Mischa-B.com Gallery - Candids

Here's a picture from an article on the movie. The writer was kind of rude so no point in posting the entire thing, but the picture is beautiful.

Want a chuckle? Click here for an Ethel/Teddy (Mischa/Stephen) manipulation! lol.

Thread artwork by Sam and Liz

Last edited by Sam_MC; 05-11-2007 at 05:34 AM
Old 02-27-2007, 08:10 PM
Elite Fan

OMG. That poster is AWESOME! I'm so freaking excited! MISCHA!
Old 02-27-2007, 08:11 PM
Master Fan

Yay! THREAD 2! LOL.

Thanks, Sam.
they must be regarded as recruits.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:13 PM
Elite Fan

The amount of news we've had on this, Im surprised we're on thread 2 lol. They give us nothing!
Old 02-27-2007, 09:18 PM
Master Fan

That poster is the ****!
Old 02-27-2007, 09:44 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Mischa Barton

ZOMG! The poster! She looks breathtaking! And hello, main character. I love how she's like, ginormous and everyone else is either little or can't be seen.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:07 PM
Elite Fan

LIZ! I KNOW! w.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:17 PM
Master Fan

WEFINALLYHAVEAPOSTERZOMG.

Yay!
Old 02-27-2007, 10:21 PM
Master Fan

Mischa is huge on it!

I can't wait till they start selling it on AllPosters. I'm buying that ****. Mischa's a MOVIE STAR! Well, she was always a movie star, but SHE'S THE BIGGEST ONE ON THE POSTER!
Old 02-27-2007, 10:49 PM
Elite Fan

The poster would look even more kick ass if Shirley and Christopher weren't on it lol.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:50 PM
Master Fan

I don't even care that they're on it. MISCHA'S BIGGER!
Old 02-28-2007, 11:42 AM
Fan Forum Hero

O MG!!!!!!!!!!!! That poster is fabulous.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:51 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_MC (View Post)
The amount of news we've had on this, Im surprised we're on thread 2 lol. They give us nothing!
I think the first thread was mainly us bitching about the lack of information. LOL
Old 02-28-2007, 07:31 PM
Elite Fan

LOL. Too true.

Hopefully this thread will at least feature a release date and trailer. ITS NOT TOO MUCH TO ASK FOR.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:27 AM
Fan Forum Hero

That poster is just WOW! That'll satisfy me for a few days. Can you just imagine seeing that big at the movie theater!!!
Closed Thread   Post New Thread