Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 07-20-2010, 03:27 PM
Obsessed Fan

Thanks, Deborah.
I'm actually sending him a thank you for participating on the radio show and getting the opportunity to speak to him. I hope it makes it to him.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:05 PM
SPA
Master Fan

This person (Joel Keller) writes as if he's seen the pilot already. Is that possible?? Link

Quote:
Pilot Watch: 'The Event'

From now through August, we're going to be taking a quick look at the fall and mid-season pilots that the networks sent to critics after their upfront presentations.

Keep in mind that in each case, our opinions are based on a pilot that could be completely recast and reworked between now and the fall.

Show: 'The Event'
Network: NBC
Timeslot: Mondays, 9PM ET

The lowdown: Usually in this space, I give a canned description of the pilot -- and, by extension, the series' -- general premise. But 'The Event' is a hard one to pin down. The story flashes back and forth in whatever increments it needs in order to explain what's going on in the present. What we know is that in the span of eleven days, Sean Walker (Jason Ritter) has gone from a happy guy who's about to ask his girlfriend Leila (Sarah Roemer) to marry him to a desperate man who pulls a gun as a plane is taking off from Miami. In the meantime, the new president (Blair Underwood) is finding out about an Alaskan prison run by the CIA, whose mysterious prisoners are led by the equally mysterious Sophia (Laura Innes). By the end of the episode, an event happens which might very well affect the fate of mankind.

What we're saying: For some reason, NBC decided to fill the timeslot vacated by the confounding 'Heroes' with a show that has the potential to be equally confounding. Just like every show of this ilk, where something big happens in the pilot and the rest of the series is spent either explaining it, going back in time to set things up and reveal clues, or both, 'The Event' can go one of two ways. Either it'll go on and be compelling and a must-watch roller-coaster ride like 'Lost,' or it'll plod along and never capture the excitement of the pilot until it's too late, like 'FlashForward.'

The oddest aspect of the pilot was that, to be honest, the story didn't do much for me right up until "the event" itself. The characters weren't very compelling, and the timeshifting method of storytelling was becoming more grating than anything else. Through most of the pilot, I was mostly wondering how Scott Patterson could possibly be playing the father of Roemer's character, who's likely in her mid-20s (he can, by the way... he's 52, shockingly enough). But once "the event" happened, I was hooked... at least for another episode or so, which is usually all these serialized shows get from audiences, who no longer have the energy or patience to follow another 'Lost' or 'Heroes' unless they think it's going to last.
I can't tell if this guy really wants to watch the show, or if was just bored out of his skull and had to write something. Maybe he was low on sugar or caffiene. It's not a rave, but it's not a flop. To be honest, I never agree with the pundits or these so-called reviewers. Their tastes just aren't mine. Anyway, just passing along new info
I'm always in Scott's corner.

Last edited by SPA; 07-20-2010 at 08:06 PM Reason: 3365
Old 07-20-2010, 09:43 PM
Obsessed Fan

Why is it making me smile that he was focused on the fact that Scott apparently looks good for his age.

I think the reviewer does have a point. This genre is hard to maintain. It can be tricky to keep the viewing public tuning in.

Scott said himself, we need to buckle our seatbelts. I'm hoping they don't make the series too hard to follow or full of too many twists and turns. Subtle can sometimes work magic too.

But, I also believe in giving a show a fair chance and not base my opinion on one or even two episodes.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:33 PM
Master Fan

I think the critic saw the pilot for sure. It was sent to critics to review after all. And I think the main point will be in most of the reviews. I think success of this show will depend on second and third episode when people will be deciding if it´s appealing enough to keep watching. I hope it will hold people off their seats so they are curious and tune in week after week.

I wonder what the raitings for the first episode are going to be.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:22 PM
SPA
Master Fan

Concrete Canyons -- Here is a link that I'm not quite sure what it means. It's located on the website Zap2It -- on this page mentions the Starz Channel but I think it's for a different movie (Pillars of the Earth) -- however, when you scroll down it is listing Concrete Canyons and states "Original Air Date: 07-09-19" with no new dates for showing.

I'm thinking that this isn't accurate; there isn't a summary of the movie, nor a cast list. I think I need to be a little more vigilant in my research for this movie.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:08 AM
Dedicated Fan

Gosh I have just spent some time on YouTube this afternoon and the Event is certainly gathering a lot of attention!!! It certainly grabbed mine.... and not just because Scott is in it!!!!

The fact that Scott is in it is a good enough reason for me to watch of course, however I also love Jason Ritter (a truly outstanding actor!) so more reasons to watch.

The critic is right in saying that the Event can go one of 2 ways...... it is true that for audiences nowadays is hard to commit to the long-term watching of a show.... unless it blows yours socks off and "grabs your fullest attention" in the first 2 episodes..... and continues to deliver.... week after week.

The fact that such high caliber "audience grabbing" actors are in it (let's not forget Blair Underwood also) should ensure massive audiences to begin with..... I just hope (for Scott's sake) that the story lines continue to be "attention grabbing" past the first few episodes.

This type of series are extremely popular here in the UK and if they are bought (gosh I hope so!!) they are shown almost concurrently to the US - last year we were only one week behind you guys with the airing of FlashForward.

I am keeping my fingers crossed...... I wonder where I can check if The Event has been picked by any network here in the UK??
Old 07-22-2010, 10:40 AM
SPA
Master Fan

I'll try to find that out for you Lua. Craig (Lancer) is asking the same thing. Let me check with a few people -- hopefully come up with some good news for ya. Did you check out the 90 minutes radio interview with Scott???

Glad to have you back!!!
Old 07-22-2010, 03:18 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks SPA, I've posted the question wait a local TV site here whom is in the know, well for Australian audiences. My guess is it will be on Seven given Universal is behind it, FYI that is the same channel that will be airing Parenthood.

I'll let you know what happens.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:15 PM
SPA
Master Fan

THEtvEVENT told me that The Event has been picked up by the Canadian market so far. No other news as yet from other countries. He says he'll let me/us know when new news comes in. He understands that is GLOBAL!! (so is THEtvEVENT website!!). Keeping fingers crossed for a strong/dynamic world-wide market for The Event!!!
Old 07-22-2010, 07:33 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks SPA, shows like this are shown the same night in Canada so it's not a shock it will be on there. Like I said I'm pretty sure which channel is likely to by the rights but time will tell. It's only been in the last week that Parenthood promos have starts here and that was launched on NBC back in March, so almost 5 months ago and it's still not actually on here.

That said a show like TE are different, like LOST and FlashForward they need to be on with little time difference because of people talking on line and sometimes in the media about the shows. So I'm hoping to heard something soon give it airs in about 2 months.
Old 07-24-2010, 02:35 PM
Total Fan

What an opportunity!!

It would be so cool if someone from the Scott Board won!!

NBC The Event Sweepstakes link
Old 07-24-2010, 04:08 PM
SPA
Master Fan

How do you enroll?? It just keeps repeating the same webpage. I think I added to my cart, but we'll see. Best of luck to all that sign up!!

Cable Station "G4" is showing 4 hours of interview and the like, beginning at 10:30 (to 2:30 a.m.) ET.

Still no Scott pics -- yet.

Last edited by SPA; 07-24-2010 at 05:39 PM
Old 07-24-2010, 11:02 PM
SPA
Master Fan

Here is a 5 mnute video interview of Scott about The Event at Comic-Con. Woohoo!!

Link
Old 07-24-2010, 11:17 PM
Obsessed Fan

Actually the interview was closer to 8 minutes. And if you paid attention he gave something away in the beginning of the interview about him and the plane. He sure sounds excited about the series. And he looked and sounded good.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:29 PM
SPA
Master Fan

Sorry, Lulu. You're right -- 8 minutes of video interview -- and, it's downloadable!!!