Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 05-10-2006, 02:27 PM
Total Fan

Partings -- 6.22 Episode Discussion

In the sixth-season finale, Lorelai tries to avoid Luke and ends up pouring her heart out to a psychologist (Melora Hardin) who was invited to dinner at her parents' house. Elsewhere, Rory tries to avoid the Huntzbergers, particularly Mitchum, as she attends Logan's graduation and prepares for his inevitable departure; and Taylor's bothered by an influx of troubadours to Stars Hollow. Mary Lynn Rajskub, Sam Phillips, Grant Lee Phillips, Sonic Youth, Yo La Tengo, Sparks and Joe Pernice appear

I have a long post in my LJ with my thoughts. I've made the post public, so you can comment even if you don't have an LJ. But to summarize, I'm heartbroken.
Icon by Kiara99
Old 05-10-2006, 02:50 PM
Elite Fan

Like the philosopher Jagger once said: You can't always get what you want.
Yvonne
Old 05-10-2006, 04:07 PM
Fan Forum Hero

So I wrote this to someone earlier today but I still feel the same (this is just a warning in case I missed something when editing this a bit for the thread). I hated the town troubadour (yes, actually hated it) storyline (however yay for Sam Phillips performing one of my favourite songs and GLP returning). I loved Emily and Richard, hell I could see them in the background of a scene and declare my love for them. I worry though that this was Emily trying to get jealousy's ugly head to show itself again, especially since Lorelai is in such a vulnerable position (although her asking Lorelai how she's doing was the sweetest Emily/Lorelai moment in my opinion). Rory/Logan stuff was quite boring as usual but I liked her telling him that she couldn't ask him to stay. I don't know if she was saying "only you can make that decision" (which is what I would've said) or if she was realizing Mitchum's right and that Logan needs to grow up. And now Lorelai: her avoiding Luke is typical Lorelai behaviour. She confronts someone and then if she doesn't like the result she'll avoid them until something comes to head. I loved her helping out Chris, that was awesome and then her bitching to the shrink lady (Oh God, what's her name?) that Emily tried setting up with Chris: funny.
Lorelai giving Luke an ultimatum was good for her in one sense but so stupid: he doesn't respond well to them (especially that way), she should've said "you have 48 hous to decide on what we do next. If you want to get married- great, if not then I think we should take a break" (well something better said). Going to Chris in thend is bittersweet: I love that she can still turn to Chris, but seeing the look in her eyes in the end made me think that she's still heartbroken (big duh there, right?) but now I'm worried for both Luke's and Chris's sakes. She's acted like a petulant child throughout the series, what makes this situation any different? "oh who do I choose? Who do I choose? I can't make up my mind. I want both." You know what I mean, she's not going to handle the situation (if there is one) well.
As for Luke: he's also to blame in this fiasco but ast this point in time I'm more upset with Lorelai than Luke.
It looks like Amy dug a nice hole for someone to get Lorelai, Luke, Chris, Rory and Logan out of.
Actual Janet ~ Councillors Supporter #28 Let's call it hope
Old 05-11-2006, 04:42 AM
Total Fan

Quote:
She's acted like a petulant child throughout the series, what makes this situation any different? "oh who do I choose? Who do I choose? I can't make up my mind. I want both." You know what I mean, she's not going to handle the situation (if there is one) well.
Personally I have stopped questioning who she really wants to be with in season 5 and even after last night it's pretty clear who is the one she really loves. She made it clear last year in Say Something and she made it clear this year last night. In the car and while she was talking to Luke.
Did she run to Chris? Yes. Was it because of love or because she wants him? No.
It was out of disperation.
I've got no problem with Lorelai and Chris being friends but it seems that their dysfunctional pettern has begun again. Lorelai used Chris to feel comforted and everything came back and bited her in ass the morning after when she could think more clearly.
The look on her face said it all. She's relized what she's done.
I'm really mad at Lorelai right now and I'm very disappointed at her,but I'm just disgusted at Chris for sleeping with a woman in that state.

I really can't get why Amy had to go there.
Old 05-11-2006, 06:13 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I wonder how many of "i'll always trust ASP/She has a plan" people left out there after the final....this is just sooo unbelievebly heartbreaking
In Poland we say: "You recognize a real man by the way he ends and not by the way he starts" it sad it can be so simply transferent into GG and ASP...
How unbelievebly mean is the fact that next week they are gonna air NAIL.. after that....
Old 05-11-2006, 06:20 AM
Elite Fan

I love ASP. For every emotion she let us, well me experience and for writing these two beautiful characters that I love and have loved for a few years and will love in the future. I will definitely miss her and I cannot wait to see what will happen next!

Like the philosopher Jagger once said: You can't always get what you want.
Yvonne
Old 05-11-2006, 08:31 AM
Fan Forum Hero

well I'm not talking about loving her, i'm talking about trusting her and believing in her, cause in my opinion she did everything in her power with the final and pretty much all season to make people lost that faith and trust they had in her, feeding them with hopes and now we know lies...

Right now I'm just worried about Luke if it's all the way it looks like... cause this is a hit he'd never be prepaird for...
Old 05-11-2006, 08:35 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
How unbelievebly mean is the fact that next week they are gonna air NAIL.. after that....
I know! I can't watch it.

BTW, that is a fantastic avi!!

Thanks for nothing ASP

I still love Luke.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:51 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lor-baby
Personally I have stopped questioning who she really wants to be with in season 5 and even after last night it's pretty clear who is the one she really loves. She made it clear last year in Say Something and she made it clear this year last night. In the car and while she was talking to Luke.
Did she run to Chris? Yes. Was it because of love or because she wants him? No.
It was out of disperation.
I've got no problem with Lorelai and Chris being friends but it seems that their dysfunctional pettern has begun again. Lorelai used Chris to feel comforted and everything came back and bited her in ass the morning after when she could think more clearly.
The look on her face said it all. She's relized what she's done.
I'm really mad at Lorelai right now and I'm very disappointed at her,but I'm just disgusted at Chris for sleeping with a woman in that state.

I really can't get why Amy had to go there.
She definately loves Luke, we've seen it since at least Say Something but she still can't choose, as long as she turns to Chris for comfort when there's some relationship trouble she won't be able to say with absolute certainty "I choose you."

I really trusted AS-P with leading the show, but now as a fan I wonder if I put too much trust in her. (However as someone who loves the politics of show-business: I loved seeing people- including myself and other fans- getting screwed over).
Old 05-11-2006, 05:43 PM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ Janet ~
I really trusted AS-P with leading the show, but now as a fan I wonder if I put too much trust in her. (However as someone who loves the politics of show-business: I loved seeing people- including myself and other fans- getting screwed over).
Here's my .02 about that (FWIW). I trusted that she'd make everything end well for L/L. Maybe I was wrong -- okay, I can deal with that.

But I can't deny her ability to craft a story that makes me riveted to my seat on a regular basis, characters who make me empathize so much that I hurt for them, and a story twist that affects me so much that I have trouble sleeping (which she's done more than once). She's brilliant at crafting a story, IMO. In some ways she may be more than an evil genius ( ) But even for those who hate her, they hate her because she created something that drew them in so overwhelmingly that they felt robbed when she went in a direction they didn't like. Seems to me that she's a brilliant storyteller either way.

Ultimately, I don't really care. I do have faith that things will end well with L/L (though I'm not certain they'll be together, which makes me sad. But they won't be with anyone else, either. But that's discussed at length in my LJ post if anyone is interested in that.)
Icon by Kiara99
Old 05-12-2006, 12:05 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpaisley
I love ASP. For every emotion she let us, well me experience and for writing these two beautiful characters that I love and have loved for a few years and will love in the future. I will definitely miss her and I cannot wait to see what will happen next!
I agree

And about ending it well for L&L... The way they acted the last half of season 6, it couldn't end well for L&L. ASP bringing them together only because she is leaving. I think she did the right thing. Don't get me wrong, I hate that L&L are not together

I have never been more into a story then I have been in to Gilmore Girls. Even when things didn't go the way I would like them to. I am going to watch it till the end no matter the outcome. I have faith
Old 05-12-2006, 10:54 AM
Total Fan

Luke/Taylor: typical amusing interaction, and not overly long (the entire Taylor part was too long, the encounter with Luke was short and to the point).

Luke/Miss Patty: hated that Patty was lying again, hated seeing Luke frantically trying to find Lorelai, the conversation itself was somewhat amusing. (Luke in tights )

Luke/Lorelai: Trying to stall calm. Trying to sympathize with a character (Lorelai) with whom I rarely agree or identify. Not happening. Okay, yes, she needed to talk to Luke about the entire situation. No, she should not have done it in the fashion she did. Cornering someone and begging them to elope then issuing an ultimatum are not the way to go. Telling someone that their child should not come first is rich coming from someone who supposedly put all her concerns on the back burner while she was raising Rory (I could be misremembering this but it is a common theme with single mothers). What was with her “we have been talking for months” line? Who has been talking and to whom and about what? How long has she been hiding from Luke? Since the birthday party sometime in April? It should be early May now since Logan was attending his graduation ceremony (too lazy to look up Yale’s actual graduation dates).

And just so it does not appear I think Luke is totally in the clear: although I understand his (somewhat faulty) reasoning, I was not happy he told Lorelai she was not supposed to talk to Anna. There may be more pieces of his dialogue with which I might take issue, but I cannot stomach to watch it again right now to pick them apart. Maybe in a few days, weeks, months. I am on his side for not going through with the elopement AT THIS EXACT MOMENT, though. As stated above, we do not know how long Lorelai has been avoiding Luke so that in and of itself would be a reason to hold off. Also, she was pretty hysterical (not funny hysterical, in need of medication hysterical) and that would not be a good time to say “I do.”

I guess my biggest problem is that the Palladinos (and other showbiz people) and the character of Lorelai act as though there is only an A or Z, with no B through Y in between. Now or never. All or nothing. Blech. Working together and reasonable compromises (one party does not have to give in completely for a compromise to be reached) are the answers. Learn it, live it, love it.
Old 05-13-2006, 06:38 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Now that's good Dukesmom (sorry I forgot your name ) I don't have it on tape and I can't download it, but I'd love to find some of the L/L stuff and the ending so I can clarifyu my own thoughts on it (after ll, all my thoughts about it were stemming from a 1am viewing)
Old 05-13-2006, 11:59 AM
Absolute Fan

can't wait to see what Luke will do next season,considering how good an actor SP is, he can pull off anything.
Old 05-14-2006, 01:27 AM
Fan Forum Hero

well as much as I LOVE LL, I don't want Luke to forgive Lorelai that easy (if she did that!) not just cause she's Lorelai.
And since Luke has... April (why?WHY!?!?!?!?!) I doubt we would see the real, heartbroken Luke cause he will have a distraction..