Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2006, 09:48 AM
Fan Forum Star

Sandy, awesome idea for a thread, and the opening post looks lovely.

I love watching how much she developed, and that she had work before One Tree Hill, and after. Sophia's going to do it all, and I'm beyond excited to see what the future brings for her. The ideal movie for me would be a movie where it's all just let loose...and just real.

The whole shooting on OTH wasn't much to me. It didn't really get me in the heart...something about how rushed and too dramatic it felt. They didn't feel like teenagers, worried and afraid. Sophia did lovely, but, the whole clutching of the pole and keeping her in the gym upset me. I knew someone had to be there, but I feel like everytime there's a chance for her to break free and bring a lot to the table, she's kind of held back.

I can't wait to see her just completely do it all.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:59 AM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Mouse 01
Sophia did lovely, but, the whole clutching of the pole and keeping her in the gym upset me. I knew someone had to be there, but I feel like everytime there's a chance for her to break free and bring a lot to the table, she's kind of held back.
I completely agree. It's something that really bothers me about Brooke's character. She's always on the outside and they try to keep her very surface, I think. Sophia's really good at making the most of the material, but there's only so much a person can do.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:12 AM
Fan Forum Star

Especially when the material isn't the greatest. Sometimes I'm 1000% sure that the only thing holding this show up is the actors.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:37 AM
Total Fan

I agree. I think with some well written material, that she as an actress can get behind will really allow her to shine. That's why I kinda sorta wanted OTH cancelled
Old 06-05-2006, 10:58 AM
Fan Forum Star

Same with me. The only reason I'll stick around is for Sophia. That's what got me thinking. Even though OTH is continuing, after a while, if they made it happen the right away, (and I thought about The O.C) Brooke dying might actually be a good idea. Sophia could rock the performance, and plus, it would actually get me emotional for once.

Maybe if they didn't kill people constantly and have Dan kill his own brother recently, it'd work out better.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:23 AM
Master Fan

Thanks so much for the imput, you guys. I just love it when we all just sit around and actually discuss and reflect on Sophia and her abilities. I mean, afterall what's why we're such big fans of her right? We can connect to her in one way or another through her performances. I think she is trying not to get typecasted and try out every role. Sophia even said once she wanted to do it all. Which is exactly the kind of dedication and perseverance she needs to get far in the business. One thing I love soo much about Sophia is her passion. Everything she does she takes full on, with a lovely outlook. She loves her work and she's just such a genuine and passionate person.

My favorite role thus far is definitely Brooke. I feel like I know Brooke. We've wached her grow and evolve for three years. We've been with her while she was hurt, and afraid, saw her fall in love and learned the lessons she has. I care a lot about Brooke like she's a real person. I want the best for her. The best certainly isn't dying. While Sophia would make an amazing performance, but it doesn't serve the fans right after years of watching. It would get Sophia on to bigger and better things, sure.

I can't choose a season in which I loved Brooke the most, but I do love when she shows us her heart. Those rare moments where we get insight on who she is, and how she's feeling. When she's most vulnerable, or human.

For the future? I want to see Sophia in one of two kinds of roles.

a) some tragic love story. kind of like The Notebook. I would love that.
b) something heavy and moving. About abuse or rape, or something really serious that would showcase her talents.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:29 AM
Fan Forum Star

Sandy, I'm not insisting that I want Sophia killed off of the show because she deserves so much more than that, as does Brooke. I just feel like, sometimes, Sophia doesn't get the right away to go full out and show us just how amazingly passionate and talented she is about what she does playing the role of Brooke. She does an outstanding job making us aware of just who Brooke Davis is, but for some reason, I feel like dying may make it easier to let go of OTH, and allow Sophia to break free.

I understand that One Tree Hill has given her the most publicity, but maybe I'll be proven wrong in Season 4. We'll see what happens.

As for her film roles, I love the way she doesn't just take any role that comes at her. She said she was skeptical about doing a horror film, but read the script for Stay Alive and liked it. Not that I think Sophia should be picky, but it's not as if she's completely screwing herself over and taking things she doesn't feel connected to just to get some publicity.

Lovely post, Sandy, by the way. I really do love when we discuss things in depth. I feel so more connected to Sophia and her fans.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:40 AM
Master Fan

Oh, no I understand what you mean. Sometimes I think OTH is both good and bad to her. It's bad because she's had to turn down some roles, I believe for it. It's good because, yes most of her audience going to her movies right now are mostly Brooke/OTH fans. I think a fourth season of OTH would do her great and help her go farther.

I agree with Mighty about OTH sometimes not taking full advantage of her talents and abilities. I hate to see Brooke on the outside looking in because she could be and do so much more.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:43 AM
Fan Forum Star

And it seems the storylines that could go somewhere for any of the characters are cut short. Peyton's whole coke ordeal was snapped into like, ten minutes total. That would've been interesting to see...her actually struggling, not giving it up on the spot. I mean, I'm not saying I wanted her to become addicted, but Mark just seems to try and get everything in there for different people to relate to, but a three-time coke experimentation isn't much to relate to.

Hopefully in the future Brooke can at least get parents.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:56 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I have a devil/angel thing going on with OTH. The bigger part of me loves the show, even if it frustrates the hell out of me most times, but I still love it because I feel as if I can't let go some characters yet, such as Brooke. Like Sandy said, we have followed her for three years, we have seen her grow and we have seen her go through good times and bad, heartache and laughter and I still want to see more of that. Brooke has such a big heart and I love that most about her. AT the end of the day, she will still always support her friends and she wants the best for them. I just love her for it. I also love how she can mix comedy and sadness together. I miss seeing her parents though. Just at least ONCE.

I agree though, I would want to see Sophia in a serious role. I could see her do that and I think it would fit her. But seriously, whatever she does, whatever character she plays, she is always passionate about it and that is what makes them so real.

Old 06-06-2006, 06:37 AM
Master Fan

These are some of my favorite Paul quotes:

"Sophia is on the money, and she's in the moment and she keeps you on your toes."

"Sophia happens to be one of my favorite actors on the show. She's just unbelievably fresh and everytime you speak to her as a director, her eyes just sparkle and she just gets it."

"Look how fresh she is, ugh, she'll be a big star."

I agree that you do get that sense of passion and love from her. Like she enjoys what she's doing. And she's eager to learn and to grow as an actress as well.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:09 AM
Ultimate Fan

Where are those quotes from, Sandy? I've never read any of them before. The second one I really like. It's so amazing when you tell someone something and it just clicks. It's very fulfilling.

As much as OTH angers me, I can't deny what it has done for Sophia and the rest of the cast. Save CMM, they were virtually unknown. Sophia and James, especially. So, you have to take the good with the bad.

I love that all of Sophia's roles in her movies have been different so far. They haven't been huge roles, but they've all be unique in their own way. I'm sure she gets a different sort of fulfillment from each of them.

Personally, I'd like her next role to be a bit darker. October was a darker character and Sophia did amazing with her, but I'd like to see it taken a step or two further.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:22 AM
Master Fan

Those were the s2 DVD, Lisa. During Paul's commentary on 2.17. I went and fished them out for Sophia's 200th, lol.

I agree. I really want to see her in something dark and heavy that would expand her limits as an actress.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:51 AM
Fan Forum Star

I love how much credit Paul gives Sophia. It's almost as if he wants to give her better storylines on One Tree Hill. Hee.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:33 AM
Addicted Fan

I agree with everyone, Sophia can pull of every emotions so well, there's something in her that's amazing and leaves you hanging, waiting for more.