Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 09-29-2007, 09:15 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Analyze the M5 Song Thread: We just love to explore their minds...

I was listening to their album earlier and I was singing along and I was like these guys have the best lyrics ever. I thought it'll be fun for us to discuss about a certain song every week. We love getting into their heads.

The lyrics of a M5 song will be posted every week and we'll analyze what these guys want to relay to us. Or if there's another meaning behind the lyrics.

Songs we finished exploring:
  • Better that We Break
  • Story
  • Sunday Morning
  • Goodnight Goodnight
  • Woman

But first of all, in order for us to generate more discussion about their songs, (and since had changed/revised music downloads rules) I've come up with a new way for us to share, listen and comment. As we post songs here and discuss them, some might question what is this particular song; where did they get it (as most of they are also unreleased tracks). So to rule out the ignorance part, please read the following rules specifically for this thread alone.

Quote:
1. Please note that illegal music file sharing is not allowed on this thread, or anywhere on Fan Forum.

2. Be advised that this is not a request thread. If you haven't heard the song for the week, please PM me so I can share the music with you. I will only entertain PMs which has something to do with our current song of the week. I don't take requests to upload other M5 songs.

3. However, if you want a particular song to be featured, feel free to suggest that song for our future song of the week. In this case we can discuss it the week after and so that you may also PM me so you'll get to listen to the song. If, however, there were couple of songs suggested, I'll put up weeks schedule up the first post so we'll know when your song will be discussed.

4. The main purpose of this thread is for music discussion and discovery. And please don't forget to visit the official site to watch videos and hear their music, too.

5. Have fun! There's no limit to the greatness of music.
If you guys have any question, feel free to ask me.

Better that We Break

I never knew perfection ‘til
I heard you speak, and now it kills me
Just to hear you say the simple things

Now waking up is hard to do
And sleeping’s impossible too
Everything’s reminding me of you
What can I do?

It’s not right, not okay
Say the word that you'll say
Maybe we’re better off this way
I’m not fine, I’m in pain
It’s harder everyday
It’s better that we break..

A fool to let you slip away
I chase you just to hear you say
You’re scared and that you think that I’m insane

The city looks so nice from here
Pity I can’t see it clearly
While you’re standing there, it disappears
It disappears

It’s not right, not okay
It’s harder everyday
It’s better that we break up

Saw you sitting all alone
You’re fragile and you’re cold, but that’s all right
Life these days is getting rough
It knocks you down and beats you up
But it’s just a roller coaster anyway, yeah

It’s not right, not okay
Say the word that should say
It’s harder everyday

I’m not fine, not okay
It’s harder everyday
It’s better that we break, baby

Last edited by HappySquared; 10-31-2007 at 04:47 PM
Old 09-29-2007, 09:28 PM
Fan Forum Hero

This song makes me so sad. The lyrics is pretty self-explanatory actually. But the words will just hit you forcefully. For me it's about a bittersweet break-up. The song's pov is about a person letting go of his/her love and sacrifing his/her own feelings.

Quote:
A fool to let you slip away
I chase you just to hear you say
You’re scared and that you think that I’m insane

It disappears
I especially love these lines. It pains my heart.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:56 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I love this idea! What a beautiful song to start off the discussion too.

Okay, so like Gay said, I think the song is pretty straight-forward. From the piano melody to the lyrics the song just exudes bittersweetness. I say this because the guy realizes that the relationship he's in isn't working, and even though it's hard and painful for him to let go in the end he realizes that it's for the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shnicky (View Post)
I never knew perfection ‘til
I heard you speak, and now it kills me
Just to hear you say the simple things

Now waking up is hard to do
And sleeping’s impossible too
Everything’s reminding me of you
What can I do?

It’s not right, not okay
It’s harder everyday
It’s better that we break..
These lines to me signal that he still loves the girl, and he still thinks about what they've had, yet in the end they can't be together because it just doesn't work between them. I also think it shows the struggle that he's having with letting go even if it is for the best.

Quote:
It disappears
ITA about this line. It's the best line in the whole song in my opinion. The imagery it creates is just brilliant. And the way that Adam emphasizes the word "Pity" is so heart-breaking. It's perfect for the song to show how this guy still loves this girl but knows things are coming apart.

I also love bridge...

Quote:
Saw you sitting all alone
You’re fragile and you’re cold, but that’s all right
Life these days is getting rough
It knocks you down and beats you up
But it’s just a roller coaster anyway, yeah
It's almost like the point when the guy realizes that in order to grow he has to let go. He has to deal with the pain because life has its ups and downs ("It's just a rollar coaster anyway"). It's going to be rough for a while, but he'll move on eventually because he has before.

Quote:
It’s better that we break, baby
Finally, I love the way the guys decided to do the final line where the piano just fades out and leaves Adam singing the line alone. It's the perfect way to close the song. The instruments fade, leaving Adam alone much like the guy in the song who ends up alone. It really adds so much to the sadness and beauty of the song to hear that line at the end.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:02 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash_lost (View Post)
I love this idea! What a beautiful song to start off the discussion too.
Thanks Ash I was hoping that the board gets active with discussions like these. And I know how passionate we are about their songs. I love this idea as well.

Quote:
ITA about this line. It's the best line in the whole song in my opinion. The imagery it creates is just brilliant. And the way that Adam emphasizes the word "Pity" is so heart-breaking. It's perfect for the song to show how this guy still loves this girl but knows things are coming apart.
I love this, too. The visualization of the pain is very clear. The parallelism between the city and love is a very good symbolization. "City looks so nice from here" is like love itself is very promising. "Pity I can't see it clearly" is like yes, love is so close but then it's still so far (or it can also mean that he's crying and his vision was blurred because of what love had promised but then he has to let it all go.)

Quote:
Finally, I love the way the guys decided to do the final line where the piano just fades out and leaves Adam singing the line alone. It's the perfect way to close the song. The instruments fade, leaving Adam alone much like the guy in the song who ends up alone. It really adds so much to the sadness and beauty of the song to hear that line at the end.
OMG! This is so true. It was very heart breaking. I love how they ended it. The melody and the lyrics just compliment each other.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:45 AM
Extreme Fan

man!! you guys are good at this!! i suck at this...i understand the song...i mean...i can feel it...but i don't know how to explain it the way you girls did...you're great!
Old 10-05-2007, 09:41 AM
Elite Fan

OMG You guys are amazing!

Thsi song is my second fave from the album. I just LOVE the whole thing, lyrics and sweet music. It's just pure sweetnes, you know, when you're in love sooo much but for some stuff you got to break up and it's soo painful. That si what I get from thsi song, it makes me cry.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:01 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I love this, too. The visualization of the pain is very clear. The parallelism between the city and love is a very good symbolization. "City looks so nice from here" is like love itself is very promising. "Pity I can't see it clearly" is like yes, love is so close but then it's still so far (or it can also mean that he's crying and his vision was blurred because of what love had promised but then he has to let it all go.)

OMG. I love the way you described those lines! I had never really thought of that as a metaphor before. It's so beautiful to think of it that way and makes the song so much more heart-breaking.

Wow, what a great song!
Old 10-05-2007, 02:47 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by --jasmin-- (View Post)
man!! you guys are good at this!! i suck at this...i understand the song...i mean...i can feel it...but i don't know how to explain it the way you girls did...you're great!
aw, you can try it hon. We love hearing your thoughts, too.

Chrissie Yes, you know if you've already put yourself in too deep with someone or something and you fould out the only way to fix everything up is to let go of them. It'll be the hardest thing you'll have to do. It's necessary, but it'll hurt like hell.

Ash ITA. It makes the song very heart-breaking. It is a great song!
Old 10-07-2007, 02:44 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Gay, what song are we going to talk about this week?
Old 10-07-2007, 02:59 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I was about to post it.

This is not in the album, but it's one of the bonus tracks in some countries.

Story

do you need all the things you want?
are you pleased with the way things are?
wear that dress to protect the scar
that only i have seen
do you give just to please yourself?
do you wish you were somewhere else?
you justified all the things you try
said that it was all for me

be near just for the moment
stay here never go home
did you know, that every thing she ever does is for you?
so it goes
as the story of a broken heart comes true,
it comes true

have you learned all the secrets yet?
were you burned by the things i said?
took the dive just to feel alive
but never heard the truth
now i'm in love but i don't know how
and i'm in pain cause i want it now
and as i sit watching her eyes close
i slowly open mine

stay here never go home
so it goes,
comes true

i am so confused by this
i know that life is hit or miss
days have stung by too much sun
i think that you may be the one
cover yourself up in me
drowning in what could have been
i will listen to your pain
if you listen to me

so it goes, as the story of a broken heart comes true
and i know, the story of a broken heart comes true

comes true
true
comes true
true

I love this song... post away
Old 10-09-2007, 03:47 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I love writing about these songs.

I have to be honest, I don't hear this song quite as much as others since it's not on my cd. I listen to it when I'm listening to my music on the computer and it's so beautiful.

I have to say, this song really is kind of tragic in the way I hear it. It sounds like Adam (I'll just say this since he's singing... ) loves this girl but the problem is that she is in a relationship with someone else. I think that she loves Adam as well but for some reason she's committed to this other guy. She may not love the "other guy" but she's with him because she feels she has to be.

Quote:
that only i have seen
Here he's asking her these questions trying to understand why she's acting the way that she is. It's like, "Do you need this relationship you're in?" "Do you like the state it's in?" And Adam is saying that he's the only one who can see through her act, that he's the only one who knows her deeply enough. He's the only one that's so in love with her no one else knows her like he does. He knows that scar that she hides from everyone else, but she's in a relationship with another guy. She's lying to him saying that she's doing this for him, to protect him maybe? And he knows she's lying. Adam knows that she's staying away from him because she's worried about the "other guy." She's staying with this guy because she feels forced, or committed even though she's not in love with him. She doesn't start a serious relationship with Adam because she doesn't want to hurt the other guy even though she's not in love with the "other guy."

Quote:
stay here never go home
so it goes
it comes true
This is the really sad part about it. Adam loves her, she loves him so when they do get a chance to be together for a moment he just wants her to be close to him for a little while because he needs her. I see the question, "Did you know, that everything she ever does is for you?" as Adam asking the guy she's with if he knows that she does everything for him, so that he doesn't get hurt. In the first verse the girl tries to tell Adam that she does everything for him while Adam knows that she's not doing it for him, but for the other man. When he realizes this everything he has dreaded and feared is manifested. She's trying to stay in a relationship with the other guy even though she loves Adam in order to save this other guy from getting hurt. All the while for Adam, "the story of a broken heart comes true" as the song says.

Quote:
I think Adam is asking her if she has learned all of the secrets between she and this other guy yet. He wants to know just how much they really know and care about each other. He also wants to know if anything he has said hurt her. Then he says that she jumped into this relationship for no other reason than to feel alive and whole again, yet she never heard the truth about her relationship with the other guy, or the truth about how he (Adam) feels about her.

Quote:
i slowly open mine
I love this part of the song. It's such a pretty scene to imagine. Adam still loves her even though she's not breaking it off with the other guy. Even though he is in pain he still loves her just as much. And in one of those short moments they have together when he sees her close her eyes (to go to sleep maybe?) he opens his so he can watch her.

Quote:
i am so confused by this
I see this part as Adam saying that he knows love is a gamble ("I know that life is hit or miss") but he's totally confused by how he can still love her so much even though she's with someone else, and even though it stings he still proclaims "I think that you may be the one."

Quote:
cover yourself up in me
if you listen to me
Here he's finally confessing his feelings point blank. He's telling her that she's the one for him, that he wants her, he needs her. I think the line "drowning in what could have been" is so sad though. Here he is telling her his feelings yet he knows that now she has got someone else. They're together for this short moment, they can be together for that short amount of time, they can listen to each other's pain and problems, but in the end she'll return to her other guy.

A tragic story IMO because it seems as though she loves Adam but she's already together with someone else and she doesn't want to leave the other guy. And she does everything for this other guy, to save the other guy from pain, yet is drawn to Adam, loves Adam and they can't be together.

Quote:
comes true
true
comes true
true
And this ending I just have to say is so incredibly beautiful in his voice. That high, smooth falsetto of his is just gorgeous here.

Sorry, that got kind of long. I'm not sure that that's the point that the song is trying to make, but that's how I take it. What about you all?
Old 10-11-2007, 02:06 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Wow! Ash I had enjoyed reading your view on this.

Quote:
This is the really sad part about it. Adam loves her, she loves him so when they do get a chance to be together for a moment he just wants her to be close to him for a little while because he needs her. I see the question, "Did you know, that everything she ever does is for you?" as Adam asking the guy she's with if he knows that she does everything for him, so that he doesn't get hurt. In the first verse the girl tries to tell Adam that she does everything for him while Adam knows that she's not doing it for him, but for the other man. When he realizes this everything he has dreaded and feared is manifested. She's trying to stay in a relationship with the other guy even though she loves Adam in order to save this other guy from getting hurt. All the while for Adam, "the story of a broken heart comes true" as the song says.
Aw, This is the saddest part of the story. when [Adam] had to accept everything because he cannot do anything about it. So all the heartaches - he just had to take them in, it's not his choice anyway.

Quote:
Here he's finally confessing his feelings point blank. He's telling her that she's the one for him, that he wants her, he needs her. I think the line "drowning in what could have been" is so sad though. Here he is telling her his feelings yet he knows that now she has got someone else. They're together for this short moment, they can be together for that short amount of time, they can listen to each other's pain and problems, but in the end she'll return to her other guy.
Saddest part of unrequited love.

All right as for me (I'll do it the Ash way!)

I can actually think of it in two ways: (1) Adam is singing/talking to himself (2) He's in love with a girl who's already commited.

Quote:
that only i have seen
(1) So he can say it to himself. Ask himself if he's happy with the way his life is turning. "Wear that dress to protect the scar" is like to wear a facade, let everybody see that he's happy but deep inside he's hurting.

(2) Like what Ash had said, he's asking the girl if all she's doing for the other guy is justifiable. He's asking if all the things she's been sacrificing for the guy is worthy.

Quote:
stay here never go home
so it goes
it comes true
(1) Well, maybe if he's talking to himself. He can be telling that he wishes he's someone else, but then there are times that he just wanna know his inner self hence, "Be here" So it's probably understandable that the line: "Did you know that everything she ever does is for you?" is for himself. He can be that other guy the girl can't leave behind.

(2) He's asking the girl to let go and not care about the world just for that moment.

Quote:
i slowly open mine
(1) You know the pov he did with SWBL? I see it in here. In SWBL he started with 3rd person pov but as the chorus nears he suddenly sings - I drove for miles and miles... so it became the first person pov. It can also be explained here. He started in 3rd person by asking about learning secrets, etc. But he's asking himself if he had already learned from his mistakes. "Took the dive just to feel alive" they might've had an arguement or something.
Then he goes "I'm in love..." (first person). So maybe, he's giving the girl a hard time because in himself he couldn't accept that he loves her already. Maybe he's the kind happy-go-lucky kind of person who doesn't commit to a relationship. He's in pain because he realizes he loves her and that was symbolized by opening his eyes, like he found out that he has feelings for her, too, just when she's about to give up.

(2) Hmm... Adam loves the girl and the girl loves another guy. Another bad guy, I must say. What are these secrets that Adam is singing about? So the girl found out her other guy has secrets and is in pain about it. But then she still couldn't find herself to leave him. So it was symbolized by the girl closing her eyes (meaning deny everything about the other guy) while Adam opens his (meaning he wants the girl to know everything.)

Quote:
i am so confused by this
cover yourself up in me
if you listen to me
(1) Confused in what way? Maybe because he still couldn't accept that he's hurt her, but he loves her. He thinks that the girl is the one. But now it's too late because she doesn't wanna listen to him anymore.

(2) He wanted the girl so badly that he tells her his pain, too. Tells her what could've been if we are together. It could've been better for the girl. So he's explaining to the girl that if you slowly open your heart to me, you will be able to listen to what I feel and it's a lot better than what the other guy is offering her.

Phew! That was long.

I also love the guitars compliment Adam's voice. And all the questions on the lyrics. That was very clever.

Last edited by HappySquared; 10-11-2007 at 02:34 AM
Old 10-11-2007, 04:19 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Great review Gay! I love your take on how Adam could be talking about himself.

Quote:
(1) You know the pov he did with SWBL? I see it in here. In SWBL he started with 3rd person pov but as the chorus nears he suddenly singsBut he's asking himself if he had already learned from his mistakes. "Took the dive just to feel alive" they might've had an arguement or something.
Then he goes "I'm in love..." (first person). So maybe, he's giving the girl a hard time because in himself he couldn't accept that he loves her already. Maybe he's the kind happy-go-lucky kind of person who doesn't commit to a relationship. He's in pain because he realizes he loves her and that was symbolized by opening his eyes, like he found out that he has feelings for her, too, just when she's about to give up. - I drove for miles and miles... so it became the first person pov. It can also be explained here. He started in 3rd person by asking about learning secrets, etc.
I can totally see this! Awesome observation!

Quote:
(2) Hmm... Adam loves the girl and the girl loves another guy. Another bad guy, I must say. What are these secrets that Adam is singing about? So the girl found out her other guy has secrets and is in pain about it. But then she still couldn't find herself to leave him. So it was symbolized by the girl closing her eyes (meaning deny everything about the other guy) while Adam opens his (meaning he wants the girl to know everything.)
I love the symbolism here. Such a sad song.

Quote:
Phew! That was long.
It's so hard not to write a lot about these songs. They're just so great, there's so much to say about them.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:11 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Aw, thanks hon. It's so hard not to write too much if you love the subject, right? The passion will just come pouring in.

Do you notice any happy M5 song? I hate to admit that almost all songs are about breaking up. Poor Adam.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:28 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Adam really does have a knack for writing sad/breakup/angsty songs. But they're lovely nonetheless.

I think the only song that I would really put into the category of happy is "Sunday Morning." I love to listen to that song because it just brings a smile to my face. It's so hopeful and very laid-back. I love the first line of the song..."Sunday morning rain is falling" it relaxes me. That's about the only happy one I can think of though.