Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 03-14-2005, 04:37 PM
Ultimate Fan

MATT LONG Keeps It Real

by Robyn Tellefsen

"I've got the best job in the world," says Matt Long, star of the WB's "Jack & Bobby." "It's been like a dream."

The 24-year-old Kentucky native is living his dream as Jack McCallister in the unique, intelligent new drama about two brothers, one of whom will become president of the United States in 2041. (Hint: It's not Jack.)

Combining flash-forward interviews of the president's
administration with present-day situations that provide insight into what each character will eventually become, "Jack & Bobby" has garnered the acclaim of critics and the adoration of fans everywhere. Incidentally, it's also launched Matt's career.

On High School

In some ways, Matt resembles his character, Jack: "I try to do what's right and make good decisions, and I also have a younger brother," he says with a slight Southern twang that goes unnoticed on prime time. But that's where the similarities end. "I'm not an athlete, and I wasn't that popular in high school," he reveals.

In one episode, Jack is admitted to his high school honors program, but chooses not to enroll to maintain his popularity. If put in a similar situation, Matt promises he wouldn't take the easy route.

"In high school, every kid deals with wanting to be in the in-crowd. It's a balance of how much you hang out with people and how much you do your work," he explains. "If I got into honors classes, I would take that chance."

But, like Jack, Matt's not sure he performed to his full potential in high school. "I probably didn't make as good grades as I could have," he admits. "That would have helped me get more scholarships."

On College

Nonetheless, Matt made college a priority, and graduated from Western Kentucky University (Bowling Green, KY) in 2002 with a bachelor's degree in performing arts.

"People put so much emphasis on getting a degree, and that's a good thing," he asserts. "It gives you one up on people if you're competing for a job. And with a bachelor's degree, I can go back for my master's."

Matt Long's Short List
On his bookshelf: Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer

In his CD player: Gentle Giant, a 1970s British progressive rock band

In his DVD player: "Kill Bill: Volume 2"

In his PlayStation: "Gran Turismo 2"

Not that he spent long hours mastering quadratic equations he'd never find use for in the real world. College helped Matt hone his craft. "A couple of professors completely changed the way I act. I used to do things large, like in musicals," he recalls. "The biggest thing I learned was to be more real in my acting. I learned when something feels false."

And, he points out, acting isn't the only lesson to learn from your profs. "Take advantage of your professors' advice and wisdom," he counsels. "But also know their opinion is just one person's, and there's nothing wrong with disagreeing. That's what college is about – free thinking."

On Choices

Yet as Peter Parker (a.k.a. Spider-Man) would say, with freedom comes responsibility.

"So many people go, 'It's OK to screw up in college,'" says Matt. "I saw so many people fall into things like drinking, drugs, and sex, and after freshman year, they dropped out."

That's why he feels it's important to foster a strong support system, especially while you're in school.

"Choose your friends wisely," he advises. "If you surround yourself with things you know are wrong, they'll eat away at you."

Matt cites going to school with his best friend as key to a successful transition to independence and adulthood.

"College has the potential to be an amazing time -- just be careful with your freedom," he warns. "The decisions you make there will be with you for the rest of your life."

On Fame

Though Matt worked hard to achieve his goals, he knows he didn't get there on his own. He attributes his success to God and the support of friends and family. "So many doors opened for me," he shares. "I'm incredibly blessed. A lot of people believed in me and gave me great advice. They pushed me to pursue my dream."

And his Kentucky roots keep him firmly planted, even in a celebrity-saturated city like L.A.

"I was brought up with a moral sense of right and wrong, and I'm pretty level-headed," assures Matt. If that won't keep his feet on the ground, his daily chats with his parents (an insurance
salesman and a teacher) and his steady girlfriend (a TV news reporter in Michigan) should do the trick.

"I look at my life and at these wonderful things, and they help me stay on the right track," he says.

Matt's script for success? "Go to a school where you can exercise and follow your dreams," he encourages. "Take full advantage of every opportunity."

Photo © 2005 Warner Bros. TV

http://www.collegebound.net/collegeb.../mattlong.html

Just posting it here I thought I signed up for that magazine, but didn't get it - it figures as much, when it's one I want, they don't send it to me

Last edited by crazyforcmm; 03-14-2005 at 04:43 PM
Old 03-14-2005, 04:44 PM
Master Fan

Awww! That is great! Thanks a hundred, Chrissy!
Old 03-14-2005, 04:46 PM
Ultimate Fan

Thanks Chrissy! Matt is seriously such a darling! Love him!

I think he lets the twang slip out a bit when he says "wasn't" and "isn't". I think it's the cutest thing.
Old 03-14-2005, 04:47 PM
Master Fan

Aww, little twang. *pets him*
Old 03-14-2005, 04:57 PM
Ultimate Fan

It's quite adorable.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:12 PM
Loyal Fan

Hey cool you posted the article.
Pam: What are you doing? What do you expect me to say to that?
Jim: I just needed you to know. Once.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:13 PM
Master Fan

Aw, Matt, we love you.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:22 PM
Total Fan

Aww I love Matt! He seems like the type to not get caught up in the celebrity stuff.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:27 PM
Master Fan

Yeah, he seems very polite, easy going, a bit shy......
Old 03-14-2005, 05:30 PM
Total Fan

I always hate it when people come into show business and get all up in the celebrity aspects and act like they're all high and mighty.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:36 PM
Master Fan

Yeah, it bugs me. Luckily, I can't see any J&B actors doing that.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:38 PM
Total Fan

And thank God too. They all seem really down to earth.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:43 PM
Master Fan

Yeah, Brad, John, Chris, Logan, Edwin.......they all seem great.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:52 PM
Ultimate Fan

They've all kept themselves below the radar, which is admirable. We still need news on them though. Matt's a really humble guy. I enjoy watching his interviews. What a nice guy.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:59 PM
Master Fan

Yeah, it sucks that we barely ever hear about them. But oh well, makes us ten times more grateful when we do.