Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 08-26-2004, 11:15 PM
Master Fan

Lesser Known Liv Roles

A place to talk about those unknown/early films!

So I've just turned on the TV, and Liv's on! It's an early film, called Heavy, she plays a girl called Callie, and Debbie Harry (Blondie) is in it too. It looks quite good, she's a waitress and her shy boss falls in love with her

Has anyone else seen it?
Old 08-27-2004, 05:13 AM
Pav
Elite Fan

I haven't seen Heavy. Does it end with a Happy End?

Old 08-27-2004, 05:44 AM
Banned

I haven't seen it either. I would love to hear a review fomr someone who has seen the film. It sounds like a romantic comedy. I love them.

bency -Wonderful pictures.
Old 08-27-2004, 08:25 AM
Elite Fan

Oooh I haven't seen that one. I'll have to look out for it.
Old 08-27-2004, 10:16 AM
Master Fan

I read one review of it that I thought was excellent, so I'll use their comparison .... think Forrest Gump .... then think how that story would be if it was realistic .... and that's what Heavy it like.

It's about Victor, who's in his thirties, a little balding and a bit overweight (he's in Identity, if anyone's seen that?) He runs a roadside cafe with his mom, he's the cook there, and Debbie Harry plays another waitress. They all hate life, and just want to get through it as soon as possible, and all feel trapped. Then Liv arrives like a breath of fresh air, and Victor falls for her, except she has a horrible boyfriend. He's shy though, and doesn't think she could love him the way he loves her. It's poignant, and a briliiant character piece, but it's real. It's not a hollywood style film, and I think Liv did herself proud for picking this film, as it's not your typical first film

I really really loved it, but I wouldn't watch it if you want a light comedy!
Old 08-27-2004, 10:55 AM
Pav
Elite Fan

It sounds good to me. I hope it's possible to rent it on VHS or DVD.
Old 08-27-2004, 05:51 PM
Elite Fan

it sounds really good.
Old 08-31-2004, 12:36 PM
Pav
Elite Fan

Anyone here who has seen "Cookie's Fortune"?

Old 08-31-2004, 05:31 PM
Elite Fan

I've seen a few minutes of it but want to see it all. Thanks for the pics.
Old 09-01-2004, 02:45 AM
Master Fan

Cookies Fortune is running some on HBO this week. I'm excited and I'm gonna try and catch it!

SATC
Old 09-01-2004, 06:12 PM
Master Fan

Inventing the Abbotts

* * (R)

Doug Holt: Joaquin Phoenix
Jacey Holt: Billy Crudup
Lloyd Abbott: Will Patton
Helen Holt: Kathy Baker
Eleanor Abbott: Jennifer Connelly
Steve: Michael Sutton
Pamela Abbott: Liv Tyler
Alice Abbott: Joanna Going

Directed by Pat O'Connor. Written by Ken Hixon, based on the story by Sue Miller. Running time: 120 minutes. Rated R (for sexuality and language). Opening today at local theaters.

By Roger Ebert

`I nventing the Abbotts'' is a film that seems to have been made in a time machine. Not only the picture's story but also its values and style are inspired by the 1950s. It's like a subtler, more class-conscious ``Peyton Place,'' and if the same movie had been made 40 years ago with Natalie Wood, Sandra Dee, Troy Donahue and Ricky Nelson, it could have used more or less the same screenplay (minus the four-letter words).

The film seems indirectly inspired by Welles' ``Magnificent Ambersons.'' It's about the Abbotts, a rich family whose parties and wealth dominate a small Midwestern town, and about a local working-class boy who has made the family his ``addiction.'' He eventually conquers all three of the Abbott girls, while his younger brother lusts after one and loves another, but lacks his courage.

The movie is narrated by the younger brother, Doug Holt (Joaquin Phoenix). He tends to repeat himself, finding countless different ways to say that his upwardly mobile brother Jacey Holt (Billy Crudup) has always been more confident and successful--especially around the Abbott girls. The oldest is Alice (Joanna Going), the official ``nice girl,'' who gets pregnant, gets married, gets divorced and gets Jacey, in that order. The middle is Eleanor (Jennifer Connelly), the official ``bad girl,'' who gets sent away to stewardess school for her exploits. The youngest is Pam (Liv Tyler), and she's also the nicest, and the one Doug really likes, although he also lusts after Eleanor.

To understand the three Abbott girls and the two Holt brothers, it helps to understand their world. They live in Haley, Ill., a town of maybe 20,000, dominated by a steel desk factory owned by Mr. Abbott (Will Patton). Years ago, Mr. Abbott and the boys' father were friends. But then Abbott allegedly cheated Holt out of a valuable patent for sliding desk drawers, and then Holt died when he drove his DeSoto roadster onto a frozen lake on a stupid $20 bet. Soon after, rumors raced through town that Mr. Abbott was spending way too much time consoling the new widow Holt (Kathy Baker).

This is the kind of material that might have graced a mid-1950s Universal-International weeper--maybe one adapted from a John O'Hara best-seller filled with descriptions of country clubs. Even then it would have had more energy. ``Inventing the Abbotts'' seems slow and almost morose, and the director, Pat O'Connor, shows none of the cheerful love of human nature that enlivened his ``Circle of Friends'' (1995), the smart and touching picture about young love in 1950s Ireland.

The picture is haunted by a story problem: It isn't about anything but itself. There's no sense of life going on in the corners of the frame. The characters, completely preoccupied by the twists of the plot, have no other interests. Mr. Abbott is one of those 1950s dads whose sole functions in life are to drive gas guzzlers, stand behind a big desk, smoke a lot of cigarettes, and tell teenage guys to stay away from his daughters. Kathy Baker is more dimensional as Mrs. Holt--she has some touching scenes--but her life, too, has been completely defined by what happened with the Abbotts in the past, what is happening with the Abbotts now, and what, I fear, will happen with the Abbotts in the future.

The film's art direction is uncanny. It doesn't look like a period picture; it looks like a movie that was actually shot in 1955. Looking at the old cars and the storefronts and the front yards and the clothes, I was reminded of ``Young at Heart'' or ``A Summer Place.'' The actors do their best, and are sometimes quite appealing, but the story is so lugubrious there's nowhere they can go with it. And it's a shame the most interesting Abbott girl (the Jennifer Connelly character) is shipped out of town just after she delivers the movie's best line.

----------------------------------------------------

I watched this again today and enjoyed it. I hadn't watched it in years and had forgotten what it was about. Doug (Pheonix) and Pams (Liv) struggle to be together is a wild ride with a happy ending. And Liv is extremely good in this movie. She just makes you love her character, as usual. And even though she does something bad you instantly forgive her for it. Wish I could find more pics to post. Any of you guys seen this?

SATC
Old 09-01-2004, 07:32 PM
Pav
Elite Fan

I'm not sure about this movie, I probably haven't seen it.

more pictures from Inventing the Abbotts - Lovely Liv Tyler
Old 09-04-2004, 04:11 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Liv was absolutely wonderful in Cookie's Fortune. It's after watching that movie that I really became a fan. She was so funny. It's really great acting.
Old 09-05-2004, 11:21 AM
Elite Fan

Inventing the Abbotts was a really good Liv movie.

What happened to that thread for that movie?
Old 09-05-2004, 12:35 PM
Pav
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by groovyk1
Inventing the Abbotts was a really good Liv movie.

What happened to that thread for that movie?
The thread is on the page 2 - here.