Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2005, 07:37 PM
Absolute Fan

Pillow Pals #12 (J.T./Liberty): Because his quest for a woman leads to her

Welcome to the 12th JT Yorke/Liberty Van Zandt appreciation thread!

Where the shipper name comes from: In the episode, "Don't Believe the Hype," JT and Liberty were partners in a sewing class where they sewed pillows. In "Gangsta Gangsta," JT had his wet dream about Liberty, hence more pillows.

Incredible banner by Otep

Fantasic Celebrating 10 threads of Jiberty animation by Pink Pastry

Pillow Pals Goodness: Thanks to Jiberty Maniac

Avatars of the moment by Twyst, Jiberty Maniac, intensedegrassi, degrassiac and thesmartone47

Response to when did JT finally wake up by Lakaii thanks to Nikki:
For me, the big wake-up call was in "Our House." With the wet dream, I think JT was more surprised than anything that he dreamed about Liberty. All that season he'd been trying to hang out with the cool kids and get away from the "geeks and nerds" and for him to dream about Liberty, a girl he claimed to have no interest in, was a shock, and embarassing for him to the cool kids. At this point, he would have to admit that he at least saw Liberty in the same way he saw Paige and Manny for instance, even though Liberty's not a glamour girl, flashy, etc, but at that point, I don't think he "woke" up.

I picked the flirtation scene in "Our House" because by that episode the crush on JT was pretty much gone or rather suppressed by Liberty. It was clear to me that JT missed Liberty's crush. Thinking back to AWH, after JT was mean to Liberty and she stared at him in the classroom, JT looked back at her and smiled to himself, like "She still likes me." He took comfort in that fact. He LIKED the fact that she had this crush on him. It meant something to him. And by "Our House," it was gone/suppressed. The whole "Are you propositioning me, Liberty?" and "He's getting some practice for the mugshot," sealed it for me that JT finally woke up. It was like JT wanted Liberty to ask him to the dance, to want to be with him. I definitely think there was some jealousy from JT's part that Liberty appeared so happy with Towerz and wasn't crushing on him. It was like JT realized that someone appreciated this girl, and he hadn't, and any chance he had with her at that time was gone. It was too late.

But I don't think JT REALIZED he had romantic feelings for Liberty until VC Part I, or at least it wasn't expressed on-screen until then (I might even count KOP) JT was still caught up in that "hot girl" faze. It took Liberty's crush being gone/suppressed for him to finally realize how great Liberty was, her talent, her intelligence and her unconventional beauty were all things that attracted him to her. We can assume that JT spent more time around Liberty because he was hanging out with Danny, so he was able to see Liberty as more than just this weird, annoying girl with this crush on him, and see these aforementioned qualities in her. There was some crushing going on in VC from JT's part with his compliments and touchy feeliness toward Liberty. It was just a question of who would make the first move.

1. 80sbabygirl (Lakaii)
2. EmmyMcBitchy
3. Evil Poptart
4. Mayberry (Nikki)
5. Sydney Summers
6. Twyst
7. Jiberty Maniac (Tasha)
8. punkmusicc
9. PeIcEs oF Me
10. QueenBitch
11. CandyKiss304
12.Mariael311 (Mar)
13. CanonsAreWorthless
14. Krissy_Babi
15. JacquiJack
16. Otep
17. icygrrl02 (Lydia)
18. PrettyGirl04
19. konstantine
20. Effy11
21. Jibertyshipper4life
22. .*.~.Laura.~.*.
23. PinkPastry (Lindsay)
24. idontwannabe73
25. PNUT013 (Jamie)
26. cupiidxx
27. Ellie_J
28. JazminM5
29. LilDegrassiPrince (Sedrick)
30. amys21
31. viviki
32. Angelic pixie
33. simplysweet423
34. vaguelypoetic (Devin)
35. sporadic
36. mudblud
37. ThornyRose565
38. fhband05
39. Juban
40. jlu2005
41. AzyLin
42. simplyxjiberty
43. your_konstantine
44. Kowaii
45. SoCoBeLLa
46. beebee
47. xJibertyx
48. Lana Llama
49. SandElforever (Amanda)
50. Riberty42 (Raye)
51. StorytellerD
52. Forever Eden
53. rayandneelaslovechild
54. ¤}{îÖ¤
55. Yellow n Blue402
56. Claire&CharlieFan4eva
57. knoxville
58. hazycraze
59. froggiepopple
60. semma_4_ever
61. prettyg38
62. CatFoley16

Past thread titles :
1. B/c opposites attract
2. Because Liberty is JT's dream girl
3. Because they are far from B-O-R-I-N-G
4. Because verbal foreplay is hot
5. Because they were four years in the Making
6. Because JT finally woke up!
7. Because we want to make Sean a shipper!
8. Because they can frolic through colons together!
9. Because they won couple survivor!!!
10. Because she gave him butterflies
11. Because time stops when they kiss

1. Because opposites attract
2. Because even Toby thinks JT should go for Liberty already
3. Because Liberty is JT's dream girl
4. Because she can keep JT's secret
5. Because he thinks she's cool
6. Because they have great and fun chemistry together
7. Because she thinks he's interesting
8. Because he lusts for her
9. Because the show has hinted at a hook-up forever
10. Because Liberty tried to help J.T. up when he fell (unlike Manny)
11. Because she knows he's the next Martha Stewart
12. Because she's J.T.'s little rebel
13. Because they make geography interesting
14. Because Riberty sounds so cute
15. Because his quest for a woman leads to her
16. Because he took the D for her
17. Because she lets her hair down around him
18. Because their teasing is so pleasing
19. Because their banter is beautiful
20. Because Season 4 is our reward
21. Because J.T. heats up Liberty's hot tub
22. Because they are far from B-O-R-I-N-G
22. Because the E wasn't an excuse
23. Because they're weirdly original
24. Because they remind us most of Simon/Alexa
25. Because they've come a long way, baby
26. Because they have a song- the Raddish song
27. Because Monday detention was never so sweet
28. Because Liberty gave J.T. butterflies
29. Because Danny makes (an annoying) three
30. Because we only want Spaige blowups (interesting, but resolved in one episode)
31. Because their fights are healthy (Well, compared to Crashley and Cranny fights).
32. Because J.T. finally woke up!
33. Because Liberty didn't have to change her look to get JT's interest (unlike some people *cough cough* Manny *cough cough*)
34. Because their kisses are so much better than the awkward JT/Manny kisses
35. Because they have a connection
36. Because JT thinks she's talented and brilliant
37. Because the chemistry between Sarah and Ryan is undeniable
38. Because Liberty accepts him for him
39. Because she's his Libby Tibby
40. Because they work well together
41. Because she told her hot-headed paramour to cool down
42. Because she's his talented inamorata
43. Because Towerz who?
44. Because we want to make Sean a PP shipper. (That way the double date can happen. )
45. Because Liberty likes big butts
46. Because JT's lips taste like sweet jelly
47. Because banning her from seeing him until she's 20 won't keep her from him
48. Because they won't let Mr. Van Zandt be a hot tub party pooper
49. Because we'll give Danny a wedgie if he messes with the PPs again
50. Because who cares about maturity? We like our farting boyfriends!*cough cough* Manny *cough cough*
51. Because they're one giant blob of hotness
52. Because JT would rather roll around in the water with Liberty than on the cement with Danny
53. Because we finally got our slobberfest!
54. Because the smartest girl in school thinks he deserves her
55. Because he will fight for her
56. Because he can be himself around her
57. Because Liberty never got J.T. into a scooter accident. (*cough cough* Manny *cough cough*)
58. Because they bring out different sides of each other
59. Because they were four years in the making
60. Because they're destined
61. Because they are ridiculously cute
62. Because they are meant to be
63. Because they share a love of cheese
64. Because they won couple survivor
65. Because their reward for winning couple survivor should be a main plot episode.
66. Because they wanted to show there was light after Rick's death.
67. Because we want some drama for these loveable drama geeks.
68. Because J.T. gave her stares of love.
69. Because everyone should've realized it was time.
70. Because they are rebels...who sing.
71. Because they have something in common with Jay and Alex... they're dearing
72. Because he winked at her.
73. Because he almost kissed her in "Shout."
74. Because they belong together---they're like soulmates
75. Because maturity is sexy
76. Because they both love each other for who they are
77. Because they were each other's first kiss. (based on deleted scene)
78. Because time stands still when they kiss.
79. Because Liberty landed her man.
80. Because it was all about the arm hitting the desk.
81. Because she crushed on him for 4 years
82. Because they can make more out of a brief background shot than some characters can on center stage with several pages of dialogue.
83. Because she wished she could see JT's underwear. lol.
84. Because they deserve an on-screen date.

Seam strippers
Ballroom dancing
The Degrassi Grapevine
Martha Stewart
Vandalizing lockers
Red markers
The 3 stooges
Water
Skateboards
Hawaii
Pillows
Geography exams
Hallway hugs
Computer tributes
The song "Every Part of Me" (played in JT's wet dream)
Sexy red trunks
Kitchen timers
Hot tubs
Radishes
Detention
Dracula
Romantic banter
Hot tub kisses
Sweet jelly
Cheese

Pillow Pals Soundtrack #3:

Pillow Pals episodes:

Secrets and Lies
Don't Believe the Hype
Shout
Tears are Not Enough
Gangsta, Gangsta
Accidents Will Happen, Part Two
Our House
Voices Carry, Part One
Voices Carry, Part Two
Secret, Part One
Bark at the Moon
Eye of the Tiger
West End Girls

Made by: froggiepopple

Why I Like Jiberty by StorytellerD:
At least for me, there are a lot of reasons I like Jiberty.

First, I think JT and Liberty are simply great characters, even outside of this pairing. So naturally when you have two great characters, it's even better when they get the chance to interact. Then, there's the fact that Ryan and Sarah have a really good onscreen chemistry with one another. Whether the characters are arguing or flirting, the magic is there. Whether they're the feature players in a storyline or part of the background, they're always interesting to watch.

Another reason I like them is that we've gotten to see the gradual progression of their relationship over the course of the series. It's gone from a one-sided pursuit to a friendship to a full-fledged romance. It wasn't rushed or pushed in the viewer's face, but rather a natural, sometimes subtle evolution. Amidst all the flashy antics of Sean/Emma, Ashley/Craig/Manny and Spinner/Paige, JT & Liberty have been moving along slowly, exchaging banter, getting on one another's nerves, living in denial, helping each other, and getting mixed up in bad initial relationships (Liberty with Towerz, JT with Manny). And throughout it all, the spark between them was there.

It's also probably the most realistic coupling on the show -- Girl wants what she can't have but doesn't give up hope; Boy denies any feeling for the girl, fearing the loss of social status. Both have great differences in personality yet are kindred spirits who manage to become friends. And eventual growth and maturity on both sides helps them sort through differences and fears and they ultimately figure out they should be together.

They're Degrassi's most normal couple. (They could probably share that status with Jimmy & Hazel, but that pairing only gets Toby-sized amounts of screen time, so Jazel has much less presence on the show as a couple.) With the craziness of the other pairings, it's nice to have a stable, likable couple who can be serious but also bring the fun, happier side of high school romance. Also, unlike all the here-today/broken-up-tomorrow couples on the show, Jiberty is the one I could see lasting beyond high school.

And even if they - perish the thought - didn't stay together as a couple, their connection to one another is such that they would no doubt go against the norm and remain close friends.

Jiberty -- The Degrassi couple who work best together. How could I NOT like them?

Links:
JT and Liberty Heaven Pillow Pals fanfiction
JT & Liberty Fan Refuge Pillow Pals Yahoo! group
Jiberty Fans Pillow Pals livejournal community

Wonderful colorbar made by: Lydia

Last edited by 80sBabygirl; 04-16-2005 at 06:03 PM
Old 03-31-2005, 07:46 PM
Elite Fan

Great start Lakaii!! I can't believe we're on #12. Jiberty love is strong.

icon
Old 03-31-2005, 07:46 PM
Dedicated Fan

Good start on the new thread! I love love the title!

[Nathan/Haley] [Jim/Pam] [Matt/Julie]
Old 03-31-2005, 08:06 PM
Master Fan

Yay new thread! Great start.

Icon by Periwinkles
Old 04-01-2005, 04:54 AM
Absolute Fan

Twelve is my favorite number, so I'm glad we're on thread #12 . I also hope we find out some stuff about season 5 soon, even if we can't post it here. I'm hoping for some good Jiberty stuff.
Old 04-01-2005, 07:39 AM
Master Fan

Congrats on the new thread!
Old 04-01-2005, 09:04 AM
Dedicated Fan

So, I've polished up the letter a little, added some links (including the JT petition), and sent the letter to the producer. I'll post up an edited version on Degrassi.tv. You guys get the uncut version (well I cut out one postscript, but that had nothing to do with the letter, more with username issues that'll take me way too long to explain). SO you guys get the mostly uncut edition.

Here it is, the final product.

Dear Mr. Stohn,

I have been watching Degrassi since it first aired on the-N in early 2002. I was drawn in by the realism, in both the plots and the look of the actors and actresses portraying them. And while I love the show, there are things about it that bother me, I'm not gonna lie. I also see some potential that may not be tapped if I don't speak up. If I didn't like the show so much, I wouldn't care, and write this. It sounds presumptuous for me to be writing this, but I'm going to- then I can't say I didn't try.
Degrassi is full of talented young actors and actresses. All of them. But many of them don't get a chance to showcase their talent as much as they could, because the plots are so unevenly balanced. It's a joke on this message board that Degrassi has become The Craig Manning Show, Co-Starring Emma and Paige, with Other Random People. I am not speaking just for me, but for many of my friends on the Degrassi board on Fanforum.com, when I say this. We would like to see Marco, Ellie, and Alex continue getting a good amount of screentime, and for Alex to get her own plotline. We would also like for characters like Liberty, JT, Toby, Jimmy, and Hazel get more screentime. Jt and Liberty are so entertaining, and we think that a dramatic plotline, for both of them, maybe collectively, would be interesting. Also, a look into JT's home life is something lots of fans are dying to see. Hazel is almost a clean slate- there's a lot you can do with her. And Jimmy's injury opens doors for some great plots. Also, there's a lot that can be done with Toby as well. I also think that Degrassi would be more enjoyable if there were some more light episodes. Degrassi's drama is great, but a little more balance would make things more realistic, a la Season Two. Some heavy issues, some lighter plotlines, etc. Or plots that are light with a serious undertone, like It's Raining Men. This past season was all serious main plots, with some funny sideplots here and there. Just because Degrassi "goes there" doesn't mean it always has to have a hard-hitting impact or be controversial ALL the time. In real life, it's not ALWAYS oral sex and school shootings. Sometimes it's just a silly fight with your boyfriend, or trying to impress your girlfriend's dad, getting an unfair grade, trying to impress the cute new guy, etc. Also, while couples do tend to not last in high school, there are some who do, and I think it would be nice if a couple stuck around for more than one season. I think JT and Liberty have the potential to be that couple.

Also, we came up with some interesting plot suggestions for next season:

- Marco gets a new boyfriend (well, I'm sure you've already thought of that!)
- More insight into how Jimmy's injury affects him and his relationship with Hazel. An idea that Hazel falls for another guy, but feels obligated to stay with Jimmy because of his injury was brought up.
-A couple actually has sex without something horrific happening- to show that in a healthy, loving relationship, sex will strengthen rather than weaken. We were hoping it would be JT and Liberty (yeah, I've mentioned them WAY too much, but I think they deserve the screentime). It would focus more on the events leading up to them sleeping together, and the decision (we thougth that it would be funny if JT initially had insecurities because of his "stack of dimes"), not the aftermath. Because there would be no apocalyptic turn of events afterwards. There would be no pregancies or STDs, because if it is JT and Liberty, they both seem smart enough to use condoms, and Liberty would make sure she's on some form of contraception- I can see her taking charge in this department.
- Senior pranks, and a road trip for the seniors! After all the drama they've gone through at Degrassi, they deserve to just have some fun, wacky antics.

Oh, and I'd feel like a tool if I don't say this- not everyone may agree, but there are some who do- even if you don't do it, at least I can say I tried: it would be interesting if you found some way to get Jimmy back with Ashley at the very end of the show. Maybe both are single and don't have a date for the prom, so they go together as friends, but sparks end up flying. That would be cute, and if the show does end, it would be cool if Degrassi's first couple ended up as the last couple.

I hope you look at this and take it into consideration. Degrassi is a fantastic show, and we like that you care about what the fans have to say.

Also, here's some links that are related to this letter. Some of the gang at Fanforum.com have created this petition to get JT's family on the show.

<http://www.petitiononline.com/JTfamily/petition.html>

Also, here is an "editorial" at the DTNGHO's website that expresses sentiments similar to mine. I hope you take a look at these. I know you're probably very busy, but I'd be grateful if you took a little time to read these.

PS- I know that you have listened to ideas from the board as to plots, so I'm not sure if there are any legal issues with this. If there are, have no fear! I'd never sue. Take this letter as official proof. I'd write the show for free if I could, but I guess there are people better qualified getting paid to do it
Old 04-01-2005, 10:06 AM
Loyal Fan

Great letter. The only thing I have an issue with is the Jimmy/Ashley reunion. That's really up to them, and I think that Crash is nowhere near from over. Not b/c I fanatically love them, but b/c that just looks to be the direction the show seems to be going in.
Old 04-01-2005, 12:05 PM
Elite Fan

Great job, Trepe!!

Yeah, I wouldn't hold my breath with the Jimash reunion. They barely speak anymore. I want them to be better friends, but the writers seem to have written them into a corner.

icon
Old 04-01-2005, 12:15 PM
Master Fan

I like Jimmy with Hazel, so I hope a JimAsh reunion doesn't happen.

Icon by Periwinkles
Old 04-01-2005, 02:57 PM
Part-Time Fan

yea, i mean it's a good idea but hazel in my opinion is so much more better for jimmy! *spoiler* look at how she yellled at paige at the prom (?) when all paige was doing was complaning *end*

ari
Pillow Pals Mix #4 Process: Looking for Music
couple of the year: JT and Liberty and Ron and Hermione!
the real cinderella stories!
Old 04-01-2005, 02:59 PM
Passionate Fan

Yay new thread!

Great letter! Although I'm not sure about the "sex with no consequenses" part considering it did kind of already happen last season with Crash.....
Old 04-01-2005, 03:05 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkPastry
Yay new thread!

Great letter! Although I'm not sure about the "sex with no consequenses" part considering it did kind of already happen last season with Crash.....
Yeah, that's true. They could still discuss birth control with Jiberty like we talked about before, some method other than condoms. But I want a date before all of that happens.

icon
Old 04-01-2005, 03:12 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkPastry
Yay new thread!

Not exactly I mean Craig did kindof go off on the deep end after all, not that he was already heading that way. But it would be nice for someone to have sex and not havea STI/D, get pregnant, or be in the middle of a hypomanic episode.
Old 04-01-2005, 03:13 PM
Passionate Fan

Well it's not like him being bi-polar was a consequence of them having sex....
Closed Thread   Post New Thread