Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2009, 03:42 AM
New Fan

Judy Jiao/ Leia Chang Appreciaiton Thread #1:

Welcome to the first Judy Jiao/Leia Chang Appreciation Thread!

There doesn't seem to be much love for these girls, so I took it upon myself to start up support. I'm sure there's got to be one other person who likes Judy and/or Leia!

I like Leia because she seems very confident and isn't afraid to speak her mind. I like a girl like that. I liked the part in Beat It 2 where Savgesh sees the LARPING photos and thinks they're from Halloween. Leia tells Sav what the photos really are with a tone as if he's stupid, which he is.

I didn't like the episode where she lied. I don't mind her lying, but I dislike the reason why she lied: to fit in with Danny's friends. Really, Leia? It's just Sav, Anya, Peter, and Mia. They're not cool.

But I still like you, Leia.

Fans:
1. seekingforthereign59
2. romance novel

Reasons we love Leia:
-Because she told Danny the truth about Mia, preventing him from getting an itchy crotch. (seekingforthereign59)
-Because she asked Holly if she was bulimic. (seekingforthereign59)
-Because she thought it was LARFING. (seekingforthereign59)
-Because she seems well adjusted. (seekingforthereign59)
-Because she won't engage in same-sex kissing to get guys to like her. (seekingforthereign59)

Reasons we love Judy:
-She's gorgeous! (seekingforthereign59)
-She's always smiling. (seekingforthereign59)
-She's got a pretty sense of fashion. (seekingforthereign59)
-She doesn't dress like a whore (compared to everyday teen girls, not the other Degrassi actors) (seekingforthereign59)
-She's a natural actor, meaning she doesn't scrunch up her face to convey emotions, they just feel real. (seekingforthereign59)

Leia's Degrassi Wiki page. WARNING! Contains spoilers! I wish I hadn't read the part where it said that she breaks up with Danny in Waiting For A Girl Like You. Arrrgh, I accidentaly read the relationships section, not expecting there'd be a break up listed. At least that means I'll get to see more Leia!

Judy's Twitter account!
I'll put up some pictures later, but there doesn't seem to be much available.

Last edited by seekingforthereign59; 11-27-2009 at 10:12 PM
seekingforthereign59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 07:18 AM
Part-Time Fan

They really don't know what to do with this character huh
Old 11-27-2009, 10:41 AM
Addicted Fan

Add me! I loved Leia from the start and even now, despite the lying. She has amazing style on the show too
Old 11-27-2009, 06:42 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Yay you made the thread! I was hoping you would.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:43 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji (View Post)
They really don't know what to do with this character huh
I said she seemed well adjusted, but while searching for material to put in here, Google's results preview had one with an episode description about how Leia wasn't sure what she wanted, or something to trhat effect, and man that ruined it for me! I know it's not a big spoiler, but I refrain from reading episode synopses so I can be a bit more surprised as the events unfurl.

But at least she's got another episode! That means the writers haven't given up on her. Unless they're writing her off; but they normally just not mention characters if they really wanted to get rid of them.

To be honest, I was worried Leia wouldn't be in season 9 at all, since she doesn't seem to be well received. Do the viewers just want to see loose whores? So I was relieved to see her in the opening credits, and she's seen in the premiere hugging Danny after Studz rehearsed in the beginning, but we still had to wait a few episodes before she even had a role of any kind.

So they do know what to do! I'm just really annoyed that TeenNick won't be playing any episodes until 2010, while Canada is ahead. What's up with that? I know Degrassi's Canadian, but to stop showing episodes for a while... urgh. Can't wait to see Waiting For A Girl Like You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by romance novel (View Post)
Add me! I loved Leia from the start and even now, despite the lying. She has amazing style on the show too
Yes! A supporter! Added you, romance novel .

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaleidocat (View Post)
Yay you made the thread! I was hoping you would.
Lawlz. *Bows*. Someone had to, and I'm glad it's me.

So what do you all think of Judy's acting? Like I posted, I think she's a natural; she doesn't try too much. I like last season when Mia and Leia started talking, and Mia asked if Leia wanted to have lunch together, and her reply and smile just seemed very real and convincing. And I only saw the episode about her lying only once or twice, so my memory is fuzzy, but I remember she lied well. She didn't go "Um...umm..." while coming up with her lies like so many characters on other programs do. Or if she did, it wasn't exaggerated ("um" repeated too much and eyes shifting side to side). It's not that hard to lie!

So I'm not sure if Judy has a Twitter account or not... It came up in my searching, but the page said the account's been suspended due to suspicious acticvity. Maybe it was a fake? I need to make an account, just so I can ask Argiris what the deal is with that (he's the only Degrassi actor I follow), and he could ask her.
Old 11-27-2009, 09:43 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Judy's Twitter page. That's had back and forth interaction with other Twitter pages from other Degrassi players, including Stephen Stohn. I'm assuming it's real.

Thanks for starting a thread on her. I think she's one of the few characters that didn't have one prior to now.

Credit to the one and only kaleidocat for the avatar
JustMe2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 10:09 PM
New Fan

Cool, thank you so much for Judy's Twitter link, JustMe200! I'll put it in the first post. Wow, she seems like such a cool person. I would love to hang out with her! Ha ha, she seems to be friends with Jordan Gavaris, who played Soccerstud1717. Does that mean he'll come back eventually again on the show, or maybe they're friends from school? Ha ha, I don't know.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:32 PM
Master Fan

Judy just tweeted that she got into Harvard! Congrats Judy!

The sad thing here is my first reaction was like: "OMG! Now I'll probably be able to get Judy's autograph!"
Old 04-01-2010, 07:50 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

I knew she had said she had gotten into the place of her chose, but I didn't know it was Harvard. That's awesome!

Credit to the one and only kaleidocat for the avatar
JustMe2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 12:57 PM
Master Fan

That's cool! I'm so excited for her! At least we know Judy will actually be doing something there.

I've heard speculation about a suicide storyline with Leia. I wonder if it's true? I think that would be great...well, not really, but for the show definitely. If it happens, I hope the writers do it RIGHT.
vivalalove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 09:08 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

I would be disappointed if Leia had a suicide storyline, TBH. I don't think that her character is fleshed out enough to even create an impact. That's why I was sort of bothered during Rock This Town speculation; people wanted it to be Toby because they didn't love him as much as JT. I understand that people don't want to see their favorite die, but in a way I think it has to happen to make an episode memorable.

But I would be on board with one of the characters being introduced in season 10 taking their own life if the actor was hired knowing that was the writer's intention and they really take the time to create a great story arc.

If they ever did a suicide storyline I would be expected to see it drawn out all throughout the season, maybe the finale ends on it or a follow up episode that shows how everyone is dealing. Sort of like what Degrassi High did, minus the build up. While I liked seeing all the characters reactions to Claude's suicide, if a suicide was revisited I'd like to see them get into the head of the person who takes their own life.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:07 PM
Master Fan

I understand what you mean about the storyline being lost on the viewers. People make a mockery out of her character since she's barely done anything, so I'm not sure many people would take it seriously enough.

I've heard rumors about a suicide storyline with Leia mainly because of Judy's coming departure. I personally think Riley would be a better and more realistic candidate for it though.

An arc like this would definitely have to rely on continuity, which is something the writers aren't exactly great at. On the other hand, if the rising action is wonderful, I would try not to be too picky if the climax wasn't the best.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:25 PM
Master Fan

Actually that's why I think she would be a good choice for a suicide. The writers want to do a suicide but are afraid of copycats or glamorizing suicide. Leia doesn't have a big fanbase so that's not as likely to happen.

I think it could be a good plot for Anya or Chantay to see the aftermath of dealing with Leia's suicide.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:33 AM
Master Fan

Whether or not the suicide happens, I hope they give her something to do before she leaves.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:44 PM
Extreme Fan

They would have to build up Leia as a sympathetic character seriously to me if she killed herself.

That's harsh, but she's done nothing through season 8-9 besides leeching off other characters' plots and the emotions just wouldn't be there for me if she just stays like that in season 10.