Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2009, 02:36 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Episode 914 Discussion- Start Me Up- 4/30 (TeenNick)

You, you, you make a grown man cry
You, you make a dead man cum
You, you make a dead man cum

Quote:
Friday, April 30, 9:00 PM ET/PT TeenNick- Start Me Up

It’s been a tough year for Peter (Jamie Johnston). He has a severe need for some good news and, lo and behold, Peter’s been accepted to Toronto University. In need of a summer job, Peter opens a club above The Dot and gets hot new band Fritz Helder and the Phantoms to perform live! Meanwhile, the students are assigned to present autobiographical short stories and Clare (Aislynn Paul) thinks she has nothing interesting to share. Desperate, she appropriates a story she overhears from Declan (Landon Liboiron) in order to be considered cool by her classmates.

Credit to the one and only kaleidocat for the avatar

Last edited by JustMe2000; 04-29-2010 at 09:59 PM
JustMe2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 05:55 PM
Part-Time Fan

I didn't really like this episode.
It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, but I still really didn't care for it at all. I don't find Peter to be a compelling character. I didn't really like (or buy) the idea of him opening the club over the Dot. I was hoping he would relapse but it was pretty obvious he wouldn't. Victoria knowing Fritz Helder was a little too convenient for the plot. I'm glad they at least showed that Victoria (who was "clean") had relapsed-- but I didn't like how they just villified her.

The b-plot... I was happy to finally see a Clare-centric plot this season. It seems she's just been apart of everyone else's plots. I thought it was a cute plot, and I actually felt bad for her. With that said, they did set up a future plotline with Clare talking about getting KC back. (Though I actually think she could do better after the way he treated her)
bailamicorazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 04:20 AM
Part-Time Fan

I liked it, I thought it was very good, and I'm glad this episode happened.
Season 9 would have something missing if they didn't do a follow up on Peter on meth.
I think the girl who plays Victoria is a good actor and her return was used very well.

I would've liked a scene with Spinner kicking her out of the club after Jane told him about what she did in the bathroom, (I thought he would since he got mad at Peter for not kicking out the potheads) but that's just my wishful thinking.

The subplot with Clare was good too.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:10 PM
Extreme Fan

I could take or leave the A-Plot. I wonder if Victoria is the actress the Exec was talking about when he said he wanted to keep someone who apparently did a good job for a bit character. Though it's probably the LGBT club leader. Anyway. I know a lot of people will probably harp on the realness of a 17-year-old student running a club, but whatever. It was plausible enough for me and we'll finally see the kids somewhere else besides the frickin' Dot. They didn't really do enough with Peter's temptation but he only did drugs for like a weekend so I suppose it would be easier for him to shun the drugs.

The B-Plot was better, with much needed Clare-focus. She doesn't feel interesting next to perky Jenna (did you catch Jenna's passive-aggressive speech about city people? SMH), steals Declan's story and gets embarrassed. And she didn't get in trouble for plagiarizing, cool. I really liked KC and Clare's scene together and she's not giving up KC without a fight? Will this mean there'll be hair snatching? Clare needs to take down that redneck hussy to give her an idea of what city people are about.

Did anyone catch Jane saying she wasn't accepted to university yet? Hmm...
Old 11-23-2009, 10:00 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

My favorite part of the A-plot was that morning announcement bit with Peter and Holly J (or rather, Nancy!). That was hilarious. As for the rest, I was glad to see them revisit Peter's earlier drug plot, even if they didn't go too deep into it. Glad to see Peter back in the band, and I even noticed that as the episode ended they had both him and Jane singing on that California song.

And yep, I did very much notice Jane's mention of not being accepted to university yet.

Regarding the b-plot, I wish Alli had told Clare that among other things, she had stood up to the Principal in support of her friend (and got called a bitch because of it) and she had gotten caught in class with an....umm....an electronic gadget, and thus she did have some stories to tell. That last one would done a number on Kwan. Still, as mentioned, I was happy to see some focus on Clare and I loved the interactions we got with her and all of her various scene sharing partners (Alli, KC & even Declan).

Old 11-24-2009, 02:40 PM
Part-Time Fan

Yeah Just Me I laughed in real life during that announcements scene

and I guess I'm the only one who didn't notice Jane talk about university

Haha, I forgot about Clare standing up to the Shep. Whilst thinking back about interesting things Clare might have done, that episode slipped my mind even though it's one of my favorites of season 8. but anyways, yeah, I don't know why Clare didn't think about that time.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:21 PM
New Fan

I didn't really care for this episode. If I had to rank it, it'd be a low-moderate. Peter's plot, despite being the A-plot, felt pretty shallow to me. I'm glad Clare got some spotlight though, considering she's been around the whole season but was relegated to a supporting role. The thing I really want to happen though is for KC to have a bit of difficulty after his 2-parter and share some of that story with Clare so that they can reconnect. He seemed pretty calm in this episode even though he had a highly traumatic experience. *shrugs*

Anyway, isn't weird how "being boring" in Degrassi land seems to spark the female characters to do some out of character things to up their interest level? They never seem to remember anything intense or entertaining that has happened to them and seem to wallow in some form of pity while acting out. I guess compared to what Ashley and Emma did, Clare was tame... but still.
lookame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 05:42 AM
Part-Time Fan

Not as much as I expected to be, but ok..
Crowning_glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 08:01 PM
Part-Time Fan

that was by far the best episode this season degrassi redeem itself with peter and claire people i dont really pay attention to i loved the episode and holly j was funny and of course loved seeing ali

JT "yeah but that was before youre hot step-sizzle dumped his a**-sizzle oh" lol so cute
scsdegrassifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 12:45 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

I think I'm going to call this episode "the Peach Pit After Dark one." It's a little bit annoying with the whole teen club scene above The Dot, but I'm guessing they did that to keep Spinner in scenes, since The Dot=Spinner and he doesn't really go anywhere else. I guess it's understandable that the kids would want their own hang out, a place for their band to play.

It wasn't a bad episode...but I don't think it could get much worse than Holiday Road.

The most memorable scene to me was the morning announcements with Peter and Holly J. Their personalities played very well off each other and got a laugh in real life out of me.

Also enjoyed the subplot with Clare. It's interesting to watch her slowly transform into someone else, or rather just play around with different ideas of who she is. Nice to see that her crush on Declan is building up.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:13 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

I like that they even alluded to the absurdity of the club being above the Dot by having Peter mention that he didn't even know there was an upstairs to the Dot.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:36 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Maybe they visited vSide:

They've always had an upstairs! Just had an amusing chat on MSN with Callie about the club above the dot when I asked if the one in vSide had an upstairs. "Can you go up there on vside or not? Theres a club there now?" "No...but there's a club called above the dot on degrassi the show now."
Old 05-04-2010, 10:51 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Damn it! The YouTube bastards took away the video I posted in the opening post.

Reply   Post New Thread