Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2009, 02:19 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Episode 913 Discussion- Holiday Road- 4/23 (TeenNick)

Jack be nimble, Jack be quick
Take a ride on the West Coast kick

Quote:
Friday April 23rd 9:00 PM (TeenNick)- Holiday Road

Emma (Miriam MacDonald) and Kelly (Evan Williams) make a pit stop at Degrassi while on their Cross Country Bike Adventure raising awareness for their Re-Cycle project. Combining the great outdoors with her sexy boyfriend, Emma’s convinced she’s destined for the best summer ever. Chantay (Jajube Mandiela) and Danny (Dalmar Abuzeid) have the best first date ever. But the next day, Chantay posts a “Date Ethics” blind item on her blog, and word spreads fast that Danny’s cheap. Ouch! Elsewhere, Clark and Ellen decide to take the kids on a trip to their favorite amusement park.

Credit to the one and only kaleidocat for the avatar

Last edited by JustMe2000; 04-22-2010 at 09:27 PM
JustMe2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 05:49 PM
Part-Time Fan

I thought this episode was decent. Not amazing, but I liked it nonetheless. It was nice to see Emma again, and I actually liked this plot waaaaay more than her a-plot last season. I thought her Re-Cycling project fit her character (especially early seasons 1-3 Emma), and I liked that they brought up her stripping her clothes off at school (hooray for continuity). I actually didn't mind her and Kelly together... even though that pretty much ended. I'm glad that her big secret wasn't her being pregnant or getting married to Kelly (as some speculated it could have been) but had to do with her failing Smithdale instead.

I'm glad Emma explained what was going on with Liberty and Manny (Manny being in Hollywood, Liberty in a sororiety). On a side note, I'm really hoping Manny gets some kind of plot this season... why even bother keeping her in the credits (when Kelly and Liberty were dropped)?

As for the b-plot, I didn't care for it a whole lot. Chante and Danny both got on my nerves.
bailamicorazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 04:13 AM
Part-Time Fan

Nothing exciting happened, but I still liked it, it was a good episode as far as continuity and development (characters & plots) go.

Subplot was rather dumb, it was about Chantay and her blog (which I have a hard time believing people pay attention to her blog) so what can you expect from a plot like that? But it was decent. (not too cringeworthy)
Old 11-23-2009, 04:56 PM
Extreme Fan

Breather Episode.

In any case, I liked the A-Plot and I'm glad I enjoyed Emma and Miriam McDonald, the first time in awhile. I suppose the Kelly/Emma breakup was coming, but for what it's worth I liked them together. So if Emma's not going to Smithdale next semester, I suppose she'll be around season 10 doing...something. This is so much better than actually following the college kids as they go to college, we already saw Emma establishing a link with Holly J (their interaction was cute and maybe slash-worthy?). Instead of focusing all the attention on them, just have them show up once in a while in plausible situations.

B-Plot, whatever. I'm glad Chante is now a interesting character but Danny/Chante are just whatever. And that blog post was totally about him being cheap, don't lie Chante.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:15 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

I realize they're not favorites of many, but I was still happy to see both Emma and Spike again. I also liked the reasons they had for Emma being unhappy at Smithdale (lonely, broke, stressed, etc). Things didn't click with the first college I went to, much for the same reasons, so that rang true. I do wish we had seen more of that instead of being told that, but I understand why they weren't able to do it. As for Kelly, they really dumped his character rather unceremoniously, didn't they? I didn't mind him and Emma today, but really not much to say there. I was glad to see them not forget that Connor was living in the house and Rufus Eggers showed up too.

I really liked the scene with Emma and Spin. It was both a good way to touch on Emma's current situation as well as look a little bit into how Spin felt being left behind, so to speak. I also loved the stuff with Emma and Holly J, and I especially liked how Holly J admired Emma's ability to get passionate about her causes. Cause Girl, indeed.

And that line about Emma being around during Holly J's Senior year, yeah, that didn't go unnoticed.

As for the subplot, not much to say there. I don't mind Chantay or the Chantay/Danny relationship, but really it was a pretty flimsly plot. The best moment for me was probably when that random guy told Chantay that she had asked the question but not liked the answer.

One final note, I was glad to see to unrelated episodes show up on one night for CTV. The way things had been going with some of the change ups in order, it had seemed like CTV had aired six two part episodes in a row. This was a nice change from that.

Credit to the one and only kaleidocat for the avatar
JustMe2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:21 PM
Addicted Fan

EMMA! So good to see her! I always loved Em and now I miss the originial cast! Not a big Kelly fan though... I do like the Emma is helping out again and doing what Emma use to do best.

When did Holly J become friends with Emma??

Surprising to me that she left Smithdale, didn't think Em would do that, but it is understandable.

Don't really care about Derek and Chantayy or whatever, this bored me.
FlightlessBird_630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 05:48 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Okay, you want to talk university.
First of all it's not fun.

You're broke.

Stressed.

Lonely.

You skip 18th century lit to try to and make friends.
Then you meet a guy who says he's totally committed but

he bails without warning to get a real job.

--------------
This episode was such a tragedy.

So what's the tally on Degrassi alumi who are high school/college drop outs? Or are in another country? That school doesn't really have a good success rate do they? But don't fret children, Kevin Smith will make sure you make it to Hollywood!!!
Old 04-24-2010, 06:31 PM
Extreme Fan

Brilliant!!!

I get that Degrassi wants to show that not everyone wants/needs to go to college... but it doesn't really make a statement when only what, two of their students are still go? Also, is Spinner really the one to be giving advice on being successful without college? Um...

Anyway, I did not enjoy this episode. It just seemed so pointless. I do not understand why everyone cared about Emma so much. Holly J and everyone as some big welcoming committee? People asking about her boyfriend/private life at her charity thing? Just... what?!?! I mean, couldn't we have spent at least little of that time talking about the charity? Nicole and I are still confused... does she give bikes away? Does she just ride them?* But I could have very well missed that, I guess. The subplot was just as useless, but I don't think Degrassi subplots are really known for being that amazing anyway. I also still find the character development of Chante a bit... weird. It's like finally bringing out Heather Sinclair as a main character, but with a face. Well maybe not. But she just doesn't sit well with me. (Neither did Kelly and his hair.)

*BTW, that scene at the end with Snake being all "be careful, call if you need me!" was weird. Where the hell was she going away to on her bike?
Old 04-25-2010, 08:44 AM
Elite Fan

This episode felt like it was written in about 20 minutes tops. But even moreso, it makes the eps before this look pointless. They had a two-parter devoted to Manny getting into Smithdale, which she no longer attends. Emma didn't learn anything after she got Kelly kicked out; she's still trying to control every little thing he does. Now the two have joined the collection of kids that dropped out for over the top reasons. Sean, the first to graduate from his family? Nope. Alex going back to Degrassi to improve her grades for university? Nope. Ashley and Craig dipping out early and showing the tour details? Nope. This is the perfect show to learn the value of education.

ITA about the scene where they were fixing the bike. First of all, Emma didn't learn how when she was on the road with the group? Now, she's lazy instead of just being whiny. Secondly, what teacher (Simpson) allows his students to ask the guest speaker personal questions like that? And out of every moment in the episode, she says she's failing in front of dozens of students? But I think my favorite part was her complaining about Kelly drinking her parents' wine. She got the same guy in trouble for trying to hide HER dope brownies. That girl needs to get a clue.

When the heck did Spinner become so comfortable that he'd just kick back in the Simpsons' basement? I don't know why the flip he was down there. To hide that they were eating meat? Lame. Plus Jane didn't notice he was gone? Why would he leave his girlfriend to go kick it with someone he barely knows in the basement? That was just...odd. And no tension between Declan and Jane, with Spinner around? Yeahhhhh.

I love Danny and I hate Sav. I hate that they're friends. That's all I remember from the B-plot.

icon

Last edited by Mayberry; 04-25-2010 at 09:31 AM
Mayberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:49 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryst (View Post)
I mean, couldn't we have spent at least little of that time talking about the charity? Nicole and I are still confused... does she give bikes away? Does she just ride them?* But I could have very well missed that, I guess.
It was fun watching the episode with you Callie! Thanks for the support? (read this in Dylan's voice in Voices Carry after Craig says how happy he is that gays can get married, if they want to, them gays.)

The episode didn't keep my attention at all but from what I can tell Emma and her cause probably ride around Canada, collect bikes and give them to those in need, and in general encourage bike riding over driving cars. There's something to be said for that cause. But it's more so an urban audience that needs the attention but even then, I wouldn't devote to it over a job. What would the Emma in DYWM who bitched Sean out over trying to better his life by joining the army say about this? That girl is out of her mind, plan and simple. Also, anyone else care to picture Emma trying to convince a rural Canadian/US of the appeal of bike riding? But I think those bikes could go to good use in Japan or China. Just saying, Emma. If you wanted to pay a visit, perhaps long term. It's for a good cause. They like bikes over there. And if fun were people, you would be China.

Am I the only one who partially interpreted the Emma/Kelly break up being over...meat?!