Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2011, 07:01 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailamicorazon (View Post)
As someone who really enjoyed Riley/Zane in "In Your Eyes" and the first half of season 10, I'm just really disappointed with the treatment they've been getting. I expect we probably wont see either of them until the end of the season. The fact that this is the last season (well, half of a season) they'll be featured in is not lost on me either. :s
I'm hoping maybe they'll rekindle their relationship at graduation or something. And then they can leave it on a hook like that for people to imagine what happens next. I'd be happy with that, seriously. I hate that they're breaking everyone up, it's disturbing the fanbase.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:04 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekoshoujo (View Post)
I just felt a little sick at times. Degrassi needs to draw some lines about what is healthy and what isn't.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:34 PM
Extreme Fan

I don't any of the seniors will get huge A-Plots this time around, they're being phased out after all. Only Anya is lucky since she didn't really have that much character focus really.

A-Plot: I'm still split on Imogen. I don't really like her, but don't hate her. But I really don't like her trying to turn Eli against Clare and getting him to stop taking his meds. Yes, she is thirsty as **** and she's probably not all together there as well.

B-Plot: I like Riley/Zane, but they needed a break-up/break. The thing that bugs me about the Zane character so much is that he guilts/forces Riley to do things he's uncomfortable with all. the. damn. time and whenever Riley decides not go to an art exhibit, suddenly he's being selfish. I remember we made a big deal about in season 10, he apparently went out with someone who was 24-26 when he was 17 and I wonder if he's used to dating more self-assured men. I do understand he doesn't want to be forced back into the closet, but I never thought he really considered things from Riley's point of view.

C-Plot: Was a C-Plot. Still more build-up. At least KC tried quitting to stop from liking Marisol, I'll give him that.

Quote:
I just felt a little sick at times. Degrassi needs to draw some lines about what is healthy and what isn't.
I don't think Eli/Imogen is being portrayed as healthy at all. She's manipulating Eli, apparently stalking him and turning him against Clare just so he can go out with her. That's not really healthy.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:41 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaJ (View Post)
I don't any of the seniors will get huge A-Plots this time around, they're being phased out after all. Only Anya is lucky since she didn't really have that much character focus really.
I have a feeling that Holly J will get at least one more A plot before she leaves and to me she's the only senior who's leaving this season that I felt that the writers wrote for and developed as the seasons went on. The other graduating seniors weren't really given much to do and to me they are mostly supporting characters at best.
Shipper Of: Holly J Sinclair and Declan Coyne, Degrassi's Power Couple, Sean Cameron and Emma Nelson, JT and Liberty, Drew and Bianca, Miles and Maya, Rob and Kristen Maddie and Wes, Riley and Lucas, Josh and Maya and Chuck and Blair, Jesse McKenna and Becca Thatcher and Simone and Eric Daniel and Noa, Max and Liz, Nikolas and Gia, Monse and Cesar and Ariana and Pete, Josh and Donna and Spencer and Trina, Miles and Lola
Holland Fan Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:13 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
I think that's the first time a Degrassi character announced he/she had to poop.
I think Jenna did that first.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:26 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Quote:
I don't think Eli/Imogen is being portrayed as healthy at all. She's manipulating Eli, apparently stalking him and turning him against Clare just so he can go out with her. That's not really healthy.
I agree with MegaJ. I think it's pretty clearly presented as ****ed up...so far. If the show keeps it that way, then I don't think there's much to worry about in terms of the viewers getting the wrong idea. The show has to give the audience examples of unhealthy relationships, too. They exist, and it's no good to pretend they don't.

In terms of Eli's health, however...this relationship really isn't going to benefit him if it continues to be like this. At all. He needs that medication. And Imogen is deliberately convincing him he doesn't need it while he's off it and can't think rationally enough to realize what the hell is really going on.

I was proud of Adam, though. He refused to give in and take Eli's medication when he knew he needed it. That's what a good friend would do. He doesn't want to enable Eli while he's making poor decisions.

Quote:
The thing that bugs me about the Zane character so much is that he guilts/forces Riley to do things he's uncomfortable with all. the. damn. time and whenever Riley decides not go to an art exhibit, suddenly he's being selfish.
I agree. A lot of people think that Riley's been really selfish in this relationship, but honestly...if he's not ready to come out to his father, then he's not. Period. It doesn't matter what Zane wants. I understand it's hard for Zane to feel like he has to be kept a secret, but Riley's not a bad person just because he's not ready to tell his father. Zane apparently has an accepting family. Riley isn't so lucky.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:35 PM
Loyal Fan

Funny how lately everyone lately has been saying Degrassi focuses too much on relationships when we only have 3 couples left(KC/Jenna, Dave/Sadie, Wesley/Hannah). And 2 of them are on the rocks!
nj2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:52 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
I totally agree but there are a lot of people who saw Imogen as being a really good friend and that she was truly helping him. At least that's what I was getting from twitter and tumblr. So I don't think drawing lines would hurt any. It's actually a problem I think the show has been having for awhile now.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:19 PM
New Fan

C Plot: I am kinda hoping that KC and Marisol hook up in some way, even if its just a kiss. I really don't like Jenna much, and a love triangle would surely add some drama to any future KC storyline (and isn't this show all about drama?).

B Plot: Zane really annoys the hell out of me sometimes. I'm also gay, and being in the closet is a personal choice. If Zane really cared about Riley, then he would be patient with him.
Trevor-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:15 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailamicorazon (View Post)
I'm really annoyed at the Riley/Zane plot. Shannon said that this would be their biggest plot of the season... which, granted, a break-up is pretty big for a ship. But seriously, a c-plot? I guess this concludes that Riley will likely not be getting an A-plot this season. I know Argiris and Shannon were filming later on so there is a chance that the two will reconcile (and maybe Riley will come out?) but the plot felt a bit anti-climatic. I find it funny that Stohn said Riley/Zane are a favourite in the office, given their treatment. (Only having LGBT-related plots, barely being featured outside of their own storylines, being shoved to the side entirely this past season and now having their breakup in a c-plot.)
Lmao WOW! STOHN of all people said they're an office favorite? After the way they treat Riley and Zane and he actually has the nerve say that to a group of Ziley fans? What the hell is wrong with him?

I don't have much to say on the Rane plot, because everyone else has already said what there is to say. I really hope that Zane is the one that has to apologize this time. I also hope that Riley gets another A plot, since he's pretty important, but Shannon already gave away that nope, the writers don't care enough about them or us to give them even one damn A plot. I'm utterly convinced that the writers we have now are NOT the same ones who wrote the show back in the good ol' days.

"YES OF COURSE I IRON MY UNDERWEAR. I AM NOT A HEATHEN EMMETT."

Last edited by Squall_L.; 07-28-2011 at 11:47 PM
Squall_L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:32 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwinks (View Post)
I agree with MegaJ. I think it's pretty clearly presented as ****ed up...so far. If the show keeps it that way, then I don't think there's much to worry about in terms of the viewers getting the wrong idea. The show has to give the audience examples of unhealthy relationships, too. They exist, and it's no good to pretend they don't.
I was more talking about Eli and Clare tbh

This is an extremely unhealthy relationship that the fans romanticize to no ends. I find it a little scary. Which is why I wish that Degrassi would make it a little more clear.

I know that Eli is ~crazy and off his meds, but the way that he blamed Clare for their breakup and then wrote an entire play about it is completely unfair. Especially since I've been hearing this same argument from fans since the S10 finale aired.

This is a person who crashed a car and risked his own life in order to control another person. He didn't crash Morty because he was "in love" with Clare and heartbroken. He did it because he knew that she would come back to him. He knew that this was his only way to get Clare to do whatever he wanted. The way that he manipulates and controls her is disturbing.

Of course I'm sympathetic for Eli and his mental illness. But there is a line that needs to be drawn. There are plenty of abusive people in the world who have a mental illness. That's not an excuse to stay with them and put yourself in a dangerous situation. Clare can't "save" Eli; he has to be the one to save himself.

The way that Eli attacks Clare at the end of this episode -- I don't see how anyone could want them back together anymore. This episode ended any chance I ever had of supporting the Eclare relationship. There is something very wrong here, and it's just... not right.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:36 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
This is an extremely unhealthy relationship that the fans romanticize to no ends. I find it a little scary. Which is why I wish that Degrassi would make it a little more clear.
Well, most people that I know of who still ship it, ship it with the hope that Eli will get better, and I don't really see anything wrong with that. I think there's a difference between that and romanticizing it.

But yes, there are some people who still see what happened at the end as being romantic and that's a problem. But really, people will see what they want to see, no matter what the show does.

Quote:
This is a person who crashed a car and risked his own life in order to control another person. He didn't crash Morty because he was "in love" with Clare and heartbroken. He did it because he knew that she would come back to him. He knew that this was his only way to get Clare to do whatever he wanted. The way that he manipulates and controls her is disturbing.
I definitely don't think Eli crashed the car because he was heartbroken, because I initially thought it was clear he wasn't trying to commit suicide. But in all honesty, I feel like they left Eli's intentions for crashing the car somewhat vague. He says he's "getting rid of Morty" after she says she hates it, leading me to believe he's doing it in an impulsive, manic decision to get rid of something she hates about him (it reminded me of when he shot the picture of Julia in a symbolic effort to stop her from interfering with his current relationship - he blamed Clare hating him on Julia). Not that that's romantic or rational at all, but that's a little different than what Clare says. She says that he crashed it because he knew she'd come. But when he crashes the car, I honestly don't know how he could have possibly expected to survive that for sure, so...was he trying to end his life?

Quote:
Of course I'm sympathetic for Eli and his mental illness. But there is a line that needs to be drawn. There are plenty of abusive people in the world who have a mental illness. That's not an excuse to stay with them and put yourself in a dangerous situation. Clare can't "save" Eli; he has to be the one to save himself.
Of course not. But that's why Clare left the relationship. It was getting really unhealthy, and she wasn't happy in it anymore. That's good enough reason to leave, really.

I want Eli to "save" himself, but I think he does need the support from his parents - who were completely negligent in the past - so I hope they show us more scenes with them. A lot of people with mental illness need the support because they can't do it completely alone. Though, I'm concerned Eli getting better is becoming less of a possibility now that Imogen's hanging around. She has me worried.

Quote:
I know that Eli is ~crazy and off his meds, but the way that he blamed Clare for their breakup and then wrote an entire play about it is completely unfair. Especially since I've been hearing this same argument from fans since the S10 finale aired.
The thing is, I think Eli knows, when he's thinking lucidly and he's taking his medication, that the relationship ending was his fault. He actually says to Imogen, in the scene when she's pretending to be Clare, that the break up was something he blamed himself for. But when Imogen convinces Eli that Clare was using him, he's not on his medication. Meaning, I'm not surprised he believes it at this point. Not that it makes it okay to write a play about it, but Eli's taking what Imogen says as truth, and she knows what she's doing is wrong. When he realizes Imogen's been stalking him, he has a normal reaction - he completely freaks out. But then he goes back to trusting her very easily. It's easy to take advantage of someone when they're paranoid and anxious and acting like they're on the verge of a panic attack.

I think it's natural to demonize someone who broke up with you when you have left over feelings about what happened, even when the break up is your fault. And I think, to a certain extent, in order to see the error in his ways, Eli would need to eventually get out what he wanted to say. But Imogen basically played therapist (which you should never ever do). Perhaps, at some point, Eli's therapist would have performed a role play with him like the one Imogen did, in order to get him to let out any negative feelings. But that's for a professional to do. The therapist would encourage Eli to let out his emotions without lying to him and telling him things about Clare that aren't true, perhaps helping him to realize his mistakes in the process.

Last edited by Kwinks; 07-29-2011 at 07:44 AM
Kwinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:24 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
The way that Eli attacks Clare at the end of this episode -- I don't see how anyone could want them back together anymore. This episode ended any chance I ever had of supporting the Eclare relationship. There is something very wrong here, and it's just... not right.
I think that someone can definitely acr differently when they are off of the prescribed medication and I am sure that the writers will eventually get EClare back together because it's so obvious that Jake is just Clare's rebound guy and Eli and Imogene have a train wreck of a relationship that's also going nowhere. I would like to have seen more promos that just with Eclare and Imogene. I am not surprised that Riley and Zane broke up but, I would like to see them in their own storylines even though I don't forsee that happening. I don't think Riley wanted to break up, I think he felt like he didn't have much of a choice and that both choices were going to hurt him. The Jenna/KC/Marisol storyline is boring and I am sure that Marisol will be written off as a homewrecker and Katie's BFF and that's all. I would've preferred seeing one of the seniors who isn't going to be back in the fall get a some screen time or storyline or one of the younger kids whio isn't getting much screen time or storylines get something to do over watching Kenna and Marisol.
Shipper Of: Holly J Sinclair and Declan Coyne, Degrassi's Power Couple, Sean Cameron and Emma Nelson, JT and Liberty, Drew and Bianca, Miles and Maya, Rob and Kristen Maddie and Wes, Riley and Lucas, Josh and Maya and Chuck and Blair, Jesse McKenna and Becca Thatcher and Simone and Eric Daniel and Noa, Max and Liz, Nikolas and Gia, Monse and Cesar and Ariana and Pete, Josh and Donna and Spencer and Trina, Miles and Lola
Holland Fan Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:56 AM
Master Fan

Eli has needed mental help since Julia died. I still love Eclare because I believe, in the beginning, they were good together and then Eli lost it. Unfortunately I think that things will get worse before they get better because of Imogen and her pushing Eli to stay off his meds.
I don't think Jake has the staying power to be anything more than a rebound for Clare.

Riley knows his family well enough to know that coming out will turn his family into a war zone for the few months he has to remain there and Zane continues to push him.

I can;t believe KC bought Marisol a new MP3 player. And they are destroying KC's Mom's apartment, mess everywhere

ETA: looking forward to the Anya storyline Monday
Old 07-29-2011, 10:58 AM
Extreme Fan

This episode bothered me for several reasons.
If I was Riley, I'd dump Zane the second I found out he looked at my phone. And I don't think he ever got called out for it? I agree with MegaJ a lot on Ziley. Oh well. Bye Riley, bye Zane. See you at graduation.
I like Imogen because I dislike Eli and she's bad for him so it's great to see him break down. Maybe now he'll get a taste of his own medicine for abusive relationships. Oh, and Eli? Don't flatter yourself. You're not worth stalking. Seriously, he acts like nobody else knew about it. If my school went into a lockdown at a dance and we had to wear uniforms, I'd like to know what changed everything, too.
I don't think Imogen has done anything worse than Eli did to Clare. It annoyed me a lot when Eli is basically making a play that sounds like Clare cheated on Eli with Fitz. I don't think I could ever ship EClare because Eli will never accept his own consequences regarding EClare or Clare. Even his own problems are from Julia.
Kenna is probably my current OTP on the show so I'm upset that KC is flirting with Marisol. I like how they're being more realistic for teen parenthood. I wouldn't mind seeing Karisol happen, though. :X
Reply   Post New Thread