Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 04:43 AM
Loyal Fan

School Formals...

My year 12 school formal is going to be in late September, so we're planning it now.
I'm not sure if I should go, because I'm not popular and only have a few friends. Plus, I don't really like many people in the year, so I'm not sure if I'll have a good time.
Everyone's saying that I should go because it's the last time I'll see most of them, but I just don't see the point in going.

What do you think?

[ 02-25-2004: Message edited Stars_And_Sunsets ]

Reading Is Awesome!
Michael: Why me?
Mia: Because you saw me when I was invisible.
Stars_And_Sunsets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 05:08 AM
Addicted Fan

Go and have fun with your friends [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] That's all that matters. It doesn't have to mean anything, just a good night out.
xallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 06:54 AM
Master Fan

The whole point of the dance is to go and hang w/ your friends. That's the only reason I ever went to formals. And who cares if you don't have a date--you get to stand in a huge room and listen to really loud music and party! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Spooky Spice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 07:28 AM
Master Fan

Just go somewhere else with the friends you actually like and hang out [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
icon *
Pavlov's Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 11:47 AM
Master Fan

There's no harm in going to the formal even if you don't have a date. I never attended my high school prom and now I kind of regret it because it's something in your life that only happens once so if you miss out, you don't have those memories...

If you don't want to go to the formal, perhaps you and your friends could organize another activity you could do together. For instance, my friends and I put together a trip to an amusement park at the end of the school year so it was just our group without any of the other kids we didn't like... [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]
Charlize'sAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 01:02 PM
Master Fan

You should definitely go. I had a blast with my friends when I went to prom. There were 12 of us all together. 3 of us had dates (all friends, no bfs) and 6 of us did not. We all had a fab time in the limos and out to dinner and grooving to the DJ in the hotel ballroom.
girl in a cardigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 01:32 PM
Fan Forum Star

I love formals , i think everyone should go. I have one coming up soon.
icon: xthebesthing
*Kaylee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 01:36 PM
Obsessed Fan

It's fun. With out without a date, you'll remember it.

My friends and I didn't have dates and all the popular kids left their stuff at our table thinking we'd watch everything. We didn't. They got mad at us and we told them to go away and we weren't their keepers. So much fun telling the people that tortured you all four years to go away. That's what I remember from it. People talked about that statement.
Old 02-25-2004, 04:21 PM
Master Fan

If you really don't see the point in going, then don't go. It costs quite a bit of money and if you go with the mindset that you're not going to have too much fun, you probably won't.

Formals are incredibly self-involved affairs anyway. Overdressed teens run around hugging everybody, and does it really mean much that it's going to be the last time you're gonna see your classmates? Do you really care that much about them? I know I didn't.

Having said all that, I think it's possible to psych yourself up and have a good time. My friends and I weren't into the whole 'seeing classmates for the last time' thing, and we certainly weren't into hugging random people, but we all got dressed up and went anyway. The formal itself was kinda boring, just dancing in uncomfortable shoes really; but the food was good. And we rented a motel room to go back to, and we had a sleepover. That part was fun.

[ 02-25-2004: Message edited Silversun ]

fics | vids | stupid little life
Silversun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 09:22 AM
Obsessed Fan

I never went to mine. I just couldn't imagine tossing all that money away.

I don't regret it. There's other ways to have fun. It's not the end all be all some make it out to be.

~Kat
TheCheshireKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 03:57 PM
Dedicated Fan

Yeah, if you don't feel like going, then you shouldn't. It's not like you're missing out on anything if you're not even friends with a lot of the people at your school.

I've never been to any of our semi-formals. I do plan on going to prom, but only for an hour or so, and I will be very drunk. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

But my brother didn't go, and he makes a valid point when he says, "What's the point in spending $50 and renting a tux just to hang out with a bunch of people you never liked anyways?" I will carry that knowledge with me forever. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Karmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 04:57 AM
Addicted Fan

I think you should go, if only for the reason to get very dressed up.

I wasn't too impressed with the idea of my Yr12 formal, but I went and had a great time.

It won't be the last time you see the people you like, but you'll probably regret not going, just because it's something that you would have missed, and most other people had.
Old 06-06-2004, 12:51 AM
Obsessed Fan

definetly, go.

i wore a kick a*s dress and went stag and had a fun time. i wore a very un-freya like dress for that time. it was black and beaded and slinky and so very 1920's. i got so stressed out though because of the dress and the transport and hair and everything *rolls eyes*

my piece of advice is if you already don't have your dress, don't get something to common. don't look for a dress thinking 'for my school grad.' i did that for my year ten formal - it was this strapless, shimery pink-red ballgown, i had the second most poufiest skirt in the grade. have i worn it since? No. The $320 dollars it cost my mum for one night is a bit of a waste. This new dress I have I've already worn it twice since, and it's still perfect. It's more grown up and sophiscated. i stood out more as well. so did my best friend, she wore a white fifties style dress made with the softest fabric and ribbons ever. wear something classic and a little off beat that will suprise people. Don't go for the classic prom outfits. Anything being advertised in 'seventeen' is a no
Old 06-06-2004, 03:32 AM
Loyal Fan

You should go and fun with the friends that you do have and who knows maybe you'll make some more friends.
Old 06-06-2004, 03:51 AM
Extreme Fan

It's your year 12 formal. I'd definately go. It's one of the last functions you'll all have together and I'm sure you'll have a blast. At least you can take another girlfriend. My school's so tight, we can only bring guyfriends or nothing.

"Chi trova un amico , trova un tesoro"
*Lor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread