Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 08:32 AM
Extreme Fan

Question on "Vegan-ism"

ok...so ive decided to become a vegan.
and i was wondering what foods you cant eat.
like i know you cant have meat and bread and stuff like that, but does anyone know like...all of the things u cant eat?

thanks.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:42 AM
Moderator Support Team

I kinda think all vegans are different. Some eat fish and eggs. Some don't even touch that. But the important thing is to know how to balance your diet and know which foods to eat together to give you the proteins that meat would give you. I kinda remember eating Mac and Cheese would give you the proteins that are in meat but lacking in veggies...

I'll ask Mar to come and post. She is a vegan.
Quarterley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 08:53 AM
Fan Forum Star

Vegans can eat anything that dosen't come from animals, so bread is OK. They don't eat dairy or fish or meat. They use soap etc that hasn't been experimented on animals and they don't even wear real leather..as far as I know
Old 06-21-2005, 09:49 AM
Fan Forum Hero

What do vegans do about shoes? A lot of shoes are made out of leather among other materials.
Actual Janet ~ Councillors Supporter #28 Let's call it hope
Lost in Translation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 09:59 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMilkJug
Vegans can eat anything that dosen't come from animals, so bread is OK. They don't eat dairy or fish or meat. They use soap etc that hasn't been experimented on animals and they don't even wear real leather..as far as I know
well i heard vegans dont eat bread because it has eggs in it or something and eggs come from an animal..sooooo...
Old 06-21-2005, 10:55 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarterley
I kinda think all vegans are different. Some eat fish and eggs.
Being a vegan is very different from being a vegetarian--vegans never eat any animal products whatsoever (this includes honey) and they generally do not use any animals products (so no leather shoes, no wool sweaters, and no silk shirts). Vegetarians, however, sometimes eat fish and/or eggs--that depends on the type of vegetarianism that they practice.

Types of Vegetarians:

1. Semi-Vegetarians
Semi-vegetarians eat no red or white meat (beef, pork, venison, etc). The only animals that semi-vegetarians eat are fowl and fish.
*Pesco-tarians (eat fish but no fowl)
*Pollo-tarians (eat only fowl and no fish)

2. Ovo-Lacto Vegetarians
The most common type, ovo-lacto vegetarians do not eat any animals, but do eat eggs and dairy products.
* Ovo vegetarians (eat eggs but not dairy)
* Lacto vegetarians (eat dairy but not eggs)

3. Vegans
Vegans eat no animal products - no eggs, no dairy, no honey, etc.

4. Macro Vegetarians
Macro Vegetarians eliminate almost all processed foods, including flour and sweeteners, from their diet and eat primarily unprocessed, unrefined foods

5. Raw/Living Foodists
Raw or Living Foodists eat only raw food, because enzymes are destroyed by normal cooking processes.

6. Fruitarians
Fruitarians eat only fruit, fruit-like vegetables (e.g., tomatoes, cucumbers), and sometimes seeds and nuts.

As I understand it, there is also a very extreme form of vegetarianism that allows only soy and rice products; however, I have no idea what this is called.

If you're serious about becoming a vegetarian, you will need to read food labels carefully because some things that you might not consider to be meat products actually contain meat. I'm a lactovegetarian, and it always surprises me when people who know this offer me Jello (made from the hooves and hides of beef) or gravy or broth. Even the gelatin that coats some medicines is a meat product, so that might limit the type of vitamins you would take.

I'd suggest studying various types vegetarianism seriously and experimenting with what makes you feel most comfortable before you make a commitment to something as strict as veganism.

It's not always easy to change from life as an omnivore to that of a vegetarian but it is worth the trouble. I feel so much healthier as a vegetarian that I don't regret the choice.

Visit Picture Confessions #2...it's all about secrets!
Lemurian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 11:00 AM
Elite Fan

First off FEgan is the extreme of the health nut. They don;t eat anything cooked really. Big difference between Vegan and Vegetarian. SO which one do you wanna be?

Don't quote me on this, but I think that vegetarians don't eat meat but are willing to eat most dairy products, while vegans don't eat anything that comes from an animal at all. That includes milk, butter, eggs, etc.

Vegans eat whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and legumes (beans, peas, soymilk, etc). It's perfectly possible to be healthy and get everything you need eating vegan, but you do have to take some care with it. If you were to stop eating all meat and dairy and not change your diet other than that, you'd be more likely to get sick.

It's recommended to eat five servings per day of whole grains, at least three servings opf veggies, three or more of fruit, and two to three servings a day of legumes.

Vegans are thought to have trouble getting enough protein, but a vegan following thos guidelines will usualy get plenty. The bigger concerns are calium, which you can get from leafy green vegetables, or in fortified orange juice and such, and vitamin B-12, which only comes from animal products. You can find fortified drinks or dietary supplements for B-12 also.

Carlos
Sick Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 11:11 AM
Master Fan

I'm a semi-vegetarian according to that list from Lemurian!

I did try to become a vegetarian but so many of my favortie things like ice cream, jello and even marshmallows were things that I couldn't eat.

If you really want to become a vegan, be prepared to have to do a LOT of research and I'm not kidding. Some things you think are okay to eat...nope, if you study ingredients, you can't. You have to be COMPLETELY natural and organic. It's not always easy and can become a problem since not every place is vegan or vegetarian friendly. Like I can't eat a veggie burger from just any place beccause they tend to cook it where they cook meat. And I even know some vegans that go the extreme and don't eat fruits or vegetables that farmers use manure for fertilization.

I hope that helps.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:50 PM
Master Fan

Thanks Lemurian for posting that interesting list
I remember I tried to be a vegetarian for a while. I didn't miss meat at all, except for some kinds of food that I really, really like. In the end I wasn't very careful about it and I started having digestion problems. So I went back to eating meat. Now I just try my best to avoid meat, I eat a lot of legumes (which I absolutely adore) and vegetables

Photographs
Blog
ALittaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 02:34 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Little Miss Lovely*
well i heard vegans dont eat bread because it has eggs in it or something and eggs come from an animal..sooooo...
Normally bread is made with flour, yeast, water, and salt.

I know some special breads might have been made with milk etc, but I expect they are clearly marked, so you should be OK to eat normal bread
Old 06-21-2005, 02:37 PM
Extreme Fan

yeah..ive just decided to be semi-veg.

seems right for me.

thank you all so much for the info!!
Old 06-21-2005, 04:09 PM
Dedicated Fan

I know you've already decided and all, but I just thought I'd add to what Sick Boy said about calcium. If you don't want to drink milk, but you like broccoli, that's good enough. Broccoli has more calcium than milk (or so my doctor says), so eat your broccoli!

Also, try vegan cupcakes one day. They're seriously really easy to make and so good to eat.
Karmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread