Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 02:34 PM
Addicted Fan

Other people's perceptions of you

Last night I was clearing out some clothes from my wardrobe and I had some stuff which didn't fit me anymore. I was about to throw them out, and my mum was like, "Don't those fit you? God, you really must have put on weight."

GRR!

She does this periodically, I have no idea why. The worst thing is, I dont think she even means it in a bitchy way. She just likes to tell me that I "could look prettier if I lost some weight". Anyway, so I got a bit upset about that (understandably). Felt all fat and horrible etc...then today I was trying on some more clothes, and I came to the conclusion that she's insane. I look GREAT. I don't look fat, I don't feel fat, and overall I'm happy with the way I look. I mean, women actually pay for my 34F boobs. Mother nature gave them to me for free.

My point? I think a lot of the time we take meaningless comments from other people too seriously. And if you take time out to assess a situation properly and think, you end up feeling a lot better. I dont care what my mum or anyone else thinks. I like the way I am. Soooo, how do other people feel? Do you take on board what other people say, or not give a damn, or somewhere inbetween?
Papri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 03:11 PM
Loyal Fan

My ma is forever calling me fat and sayng I need to move up about three sizes in jeans. So I was feeling like a freaking blob of ***** when I remembered that I did not look all that freaking bad.
Old 06-03-2004, 03:12 PM
Passionate Fan

I'm happy that you like the way you look.

When someone says a comment about my appearance, I usually do take it into consideration. But I don't really care afterwards if they don't like what they see, I think I look just fine. It's just good to a keep a good positive thought of how you see yourself because that matters the most. Not someone else's thoughts because they like to criticize others.

My parents also like to point out the fact that i'm not stick thin like my sister. I'm more of the curvy type and my parents see that as fat. I guess they expect me to be perfect in their eyes since i'm their offspring and all.
Old 06-03-2004, 03:16 PM
Passionate Fan

I don't generally listen to my mother because although she means well, she tends to cut me down too.

I listen mostly to my boyfriend because I want to be the best I can be for him. I also listen to my friends but much less than I do my boyfriend.
"I'm just trying to be really considerate. I've never really done it before but I'm going to give it a shot. You know, I've seen it done and I've read about it so I'm going to try to be nice." ~Will, Big Brother 2
Maliejandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 03:23 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Maliejandra
I listen mostly to my boyfriend because I want to be the best I can be for him. I also listen to my friends but much less than I do my boyfriend.
Look good for yourself not someone else .

My mum likes to make comments like 'you're wearing that?' or 'that's an interesting choice' meaning I really hate that top, you look awful in it. I don't really take it to heart though. I buy clothes I like, not following what others thing, although sometimes I feel a bit insecure. I went on holiday with her and every day she questioned my outfits and laughed at them.

People's opinions have an impact to a point but I try not to take them on board. If I feel comfortable then I'm generally happy.

Every now and then I fall apart
Elegantly Wasted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 04:15 PM
Master Fan

My mother's always complaining about the clothes I wear, saying I look like a slob and so forth. And everytime I start talking about looking for a new job, she's always telling me that nobody will hire me unless I get a different hairstyle. I know that I should sometimes try to change my appearance but I've always gone through life looking plain and wearing whatever I think is comfortable...
Charlize'sAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 05:57 PM
Obsessed Fan

Well my Mom always encouraged me to wear outfits like her to get a guys attention coz that is the best way to make money - Get a guy.

I dunno I just think people pretty much think I am a whore coz I hang out with guys and wear skirts and tops. I dress very New Yorkish considering I was raised there and people here don't get it. I don't care what people say about me I really don't coz damn if I listened to everything people said I'd be cutting myself up inside.

I am what I am - Don't like it then leave me the hell alone.
Old 06-03-2004, 06:41 PM
Obsessed Fan

Re: Other people's perceptions of you

Quote:
Originally posted by Papri
I don't look fat, I don't feel fat, and overall I'm happy with the way I look. I mean, women actually pay for my 34F boobs. Mother nature gave them to me for free.
I gotta see this. We have a picture thread, you know.

I thought my girlfriend was big (36DD) but you have her beat.
When people get the opportunity to talk about the real issues, it becomes clear how vacuous the present agenda is. I have never met anyone in Vermont who thinks it's a good idea to give tax breaks to billionaires and cut back on health care and education. Nobody.-U.S. Representative Bernie Sanders
Milt Palacio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 06:44 PM
Elite Fan

damn, that are some big cha cha's

Will, you lucky mofo.

Carlos
Sick Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 09:02 PM
Absolute Fan

My mom makes remarks about the way I look everyday. It's like she has to put me down to make herself feel better. I have realized that she is trying to live through me. She got married when she was 20. I am 20 and she is constantly telling me to get a bf and she has tried 2 times this past week to get me to go on 2 blind dates she set up. I don't need a guy to make me happy. I had a bf for 3 yrs and I refuse to be with someone who doesn't respect me. I think when my "someone" is ready for me then I will find him. I use to weigh 180 lbs then lost 50, then gained 20 back when I quit smoking. She basically tells me I can't get someone bc i gained weight. Even though these comments hurt, you just have to let them roll off your back. You have to be happy with yourself and anyways, it's what's inside that counts.

Angel- I love you. I try not to, but I can't stop. Buffy- Me, me, too. I can't either.
Pace & Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 09:29 PM
Loyal Fan

sometimes when i eat in front of my mom...she tell me not to eat so much because it will make me fat. Now when i eat I just feel really self-conscious.
Old 06-03-2004, 11:20 PM
Obsessed Fan

I feel fortunate, my mom's never said anything like that to me. She never tells me to change myself or that if I did I'd be better off.

Weight's never been an issue for me, but I can't imagine my mom telling me to fix my face when I had bad skin problems a few years ago. I can't imagine how I'd take that, or how it would make me feel. A couple friends have mothers that get on them about their weight and I see how negatively it affects them. It's great to let comments roll off your back, but because it's coming from someone close to you, it makes it harder.

~Kat
TheCheshireKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 03:14 AM
Elite Fan

Re: Other people's perceptions of you

Quote:
Originally posted by Papri
I look GREAT.
I can vouch for that. See, you should start listening to me. Anyway ... I try not to let things people say get to me, but sometimes it's unavoidable, especially when it comes from people whose opinion you usually respect.
Old 06-04-2004, 03:35 AM
Master Fan

holy crap....you wear an f cup? dude...i thought dd was a pain in the ass.

umm...but yes, i understand. i mean, i am fat, but when my mom starts talking to me about my weight it just makes me feel 10x worse than i already do. it's really hard for me too because no matter how healthy i eat i don't seem to loose weight, only gain. i was having some problems with anxiety attacks and i couldn't keep food down, but i think durring that whole time i gained 40 pounds, despite not being able to keep down anything other than saltine crackers and ginger ale.
Samantha #121
sick little jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 06:15 AM
Loyal Fan

I care what other people think of me, but I really only listen to what my family says because I know they will tell the truth and not be nasty about it.

I used to be very insecure about the way I looked, but I'm getting better at loving myself the way I am, so I don't feel the need to impress everybody all the time.

Reading Is Awesome!
Michael: Why me?
Mia: Because you saw me when I was invisible.
Stars_And_Sunsets is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread