Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 11:02 PM
Loyal Fan

My maths teacher.

In year 7, there was this really nasty maths teacher, who made all the kids, including me, cry because she embarassed us when we didn't know the answers to the questions she set us.
Everyone was happy when she left the next year to go to a different school, and I thought I'd never see her again.
Yesterday was the first day of year 12, and it turns out, that teacher is back, and that I'm in her class now, because I got moved up a class (I have no idea why, since I'm horrible at maths).
I thought she might have changed, or that when I was younger, what she did seemed worse than it really was, so I went in there, not expecting her to be the same.
She is. We were doing Algebra off the board, and that class is so far ahead, I had NO idea what to do. Anyway, we were doing the questions when she stopped us and asked this boy what the answer was. He didn't know. Instead of helping him work it out, she kept insisting that he do it. He said he didn't know it about 3 times, but she wouldn't accept it and kept at him, making the whole class watch. Nearly everyone was laughing at him.
It was 15 minutes before he finally got the right answer. Then she did it with someone else. This was only a 50 minute period, so nobody got any work done because she was making everyone wait until people could answer the questions.
Today when I went, she was the same, and I was shaking because I was scared she was going to embarrass me. I know I'm 17 now, but I'm still extremely shy and hate having everybody watching me. I'm horrible at maths, anyway, and with her breathing down everyone's backs, I was jumpy all period.
I went to see the principal about changing classes and explainied everything and he said he'd have to discuss it with her since she's the head of the maths department, and that if she said I could change, then I could go into another class.
What am I supposed to do if she says no? I spent hours last night struggling through the homework because I'm scared I might get it wrong, and I can't afford to spend all my time on maths.
I find out tomorrow if I can change, but does anybody have any idea what I can do if I have to stay?

Sorry this is so long, but I need help.

[ 01-28-2004: Message edited Stars_And_Sunsets ]

[ 01-28-2004: Message edited Stars_And_Sunsets ]

[ 01-29-2004: Message edited Stars_And_Sunsets ]

Reading Is Awesome!
Michael: Why me?
Mia: Because you saw me when I was invisible.
Old 01-28-2004, 11:54 PM
Master Fan

She can't do that to students, it's damaging and unhealthy and should not be allowed in a decent schooling system.

If she makes you stay in her class, stay for maybe a week and take notes. Note down every time she singles out somebody and embarrasses them. The time, the exact words being said, everything. Then take it to the principal or someone else in authority. Try to get some other people from your class (like the first guy she picked on) to back you up so they know it's not you who has a problem with her, it's her who's got the problem. Or, if you don't want to take it to the school straight away, maybe you could talk to your parents first and show them your log so they know you have grounds for saying the things you say.

fics | vids | stupid little life
Old 01-29-2004, 02:47 AM
Loyal Fan

Thanks [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
That's a good idea and I'm sure I can get people to back me up, since some of them were complaining at lunch.

Reading Is Awesome!
Old 01-29-2004, 03:06 AM
Master Fan

I pretty much agree with Silversun. I've also had a situation where a teacher's behavior was kind of unnacceptable for a classroom and reported him to the assistant principal as soon as I got more than 5 minutes of free time. I filed a complaint and I was ready to sue the school.

But mine was a little more extreme. The teacher is really out of line, so you do what you can. Also, if she won't let you out of her class, that's not okay. If it's too hard for you, you should be able to go to a class that is more at your level. She sounds psychotic.
Samantha #121
Old 01-29-2004, 03:29 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by sick little jag:
<STRONG>I've also had a situation where a teacher's behavior was kind of unnacceptable for a classroom and reported him to the assistant principal as soon as I got more than 5 minutes of free time. I filed a complaint and I was ready to sue the school.</STRONG>
How did the case pan out? Sorry if I sound nosy. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

fics | vids | stupid little life
Old 01-29-2004, 03:34 AM
Extreme Fan

I had a horrible English teacher, who liked to single people out and put everyone down. I hated that class so much, and was relieved when she left for a while so we changed teachers. It was weird to find you could have a nice English teacher [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img].

Every now and then I fall apart
Old 01-29-2004, 04:21 AM
Absolute Fan

Just to play Devil's advcocate: I'm not sure forcing a student to work out a problem is really cruel and unusual punishment. If she was making fun of him while doing it, that would be different. However, forcing a student to work through a problem he doesn't understand is an accepted teaching practice. She's trying to teach you how to arrive at a correct answer, not just what that answer is.

The student simply saying that he couldn't do the problem is silly. If he was taking a test he wouldn't even attempt an answer? That's what your teacher was asking for. It's much easier to work out the kinks of a failed attempt than to try to teach someone who simply says that he doesn't know.

Rather than spending your time trying to get the teacher in trouble (I'm very confident that your complaint won't do it, schools usually have a deep loyalty to their faculty), I'd suggest you try to learn from her method. If she asks you a question, give your best guess and tell her how you arrived at the answer.

If you continue to have problems, ask to talk to her after class. Teachers are only human. Even they need a little help sometimes.

Then again, she could just be a horrible person at heart and you should do your best to get her fired .
Old 01-29-2004, 04:42 AM
Loyal Fan

I'm not trying to get her in trouble, not at all.
I'm sure other people in the class are benifitting from her method of teaching, but I don't learn like that. I just get flustered and nervous and ruin everything.
I just don't think putting someone on the spot and firing questions at them is going to help.

Reading Is Awesome!
Old 01-29-2004, 08:44 AM
Fan Forum Hero

How old is this woman, she should know better
I reckon the kids and parents should get togetter and do something
She's off key.
Old 01-29-2004, 09:11 AM
Obsessed Fan

Ugh, I have a professor like that. She insists on calling out random names on the attendence sheet and asking people for the answers.

And this is UNIVERSITY!

The thing is is that it is English so when you read a book, you will interpret books and themes differently than others might. But no, you MUST have the same opinion she has or she flat out says "No, that's not right." She refuses to think any ideas other than her own are right [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

I got called on in class on Monday and I am SO shy. I read the whole book and knew what she was talking about but I was so shy and I have anxiety when speaking up in front of a group. So, I was talking quietly and she snapped at me and told me to speak up! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] Then she went off saying how no one read the book. Lady, I DID read the book, just not everyone is COMFORTABLE when called upon like that, especially if you yell at them for speaking too quietly for your liking. Sorry if I am shy [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

I hate that class so much.

Now I know what you all are thinking, "Josh bought the Usher CD and all of the sudden he thinks he's in Night at the Roxbury"... close but not true. - Josh Partington
Old 01-29-2004, 11:46 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Silversun:
<STRONG>How did the case pan out? Sorry if I sound nosy. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]</STRONG>
I filed the complaint and wanted to take it to the school board but they pretty much gave me the run around about it. I was just glad I got out of the ass's class and into a different algebra.
Samantha #121
Old 01-29-2004, 12:47 PM
Part-Time Fan

Even if she is the head of the math department you shouldn't need her approval to be in another class. I'd talk to your parents about all of this, then have them speak to your principal and straighten the matter out.
Old 01-29-2004, 08:21 PM
Fan Forum Star

I hate my math class and the teacher.
icon: xthebesthing
Old 01-29-2004, 11:08 PM
Loyal Fan

She wouldn't let me change.

But the principal said that if I felt the same in 2 weeks, then he'd speak her her again about letting me change.

It's not what I would have liked, but at least it's better than them saying that there was no way that I could stay.

Reading Is Awesome!
Old 01-30-2004, 12:17 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by *Juli*:
<STRONG>Ugh, I have a professor like that. She insists on calling out random names on the attendence sheet and asking people for the answers.

And this is UNIVERSITY!

The thing is is that it is English so when you read a book, you will interpret books and themes differently than others might. But no, you MUST have the same opinion she has or she flat out says "No, that's not right." She refuses to think any ideas other than her own are right [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

I got called on in class on Monday and I am SO shy. I read the whole book and knew what she was talking about but I was so shy and I have anxiety when speaking up in front of a group. So, I was talking quietly and she snapped at me and told me to speak up! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] Then she went off saying how no one read the book. Lady, I DID read the book, just not everyone is COMFORTABLE when called upon like that, especially if you yell at them for speaking too quietly for your liking. Sorry if I am shy [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

I hate that class so much.</STRONG>

Ditto here, except I have a guy, who is the head of the department [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img].

I hate talking in that class, infact I don't anymore unless forced. It's two hours long and so small and just plain awful. Whenever anyone expresses an opinion he'll declare it wrong then later he'll remind everyone of how you said something 'stupid' earlier.

I also thought texts were open to interpretation but whatever. Also I feel he marks unfairly but it could just be me. People have complained but he's found out and openly been rude whilst pretending he is being helpful.

It was the same at school with a teacher. People complained to our head of year, he told her and she kept us in and lectured us. Then we went to the deputy head and she just talked to her and then the head but it didn't solve anything. Now two years later they are actually doing something!!!!!!!

[ 01-30-2004: Message edited Elegantly Wasted ]

Every now and then I fall apart
Closed Thread   Post New Thread