Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 06-05-2004, 06:17 PM
Obsessed Fan

Following in your parent's footsteps...

Did you follow in the footsteps of your mother or father? I didn't. Not that I didn't want to, mind you, I just wasn't able. See, both of my parents were career military. U.S. Army. Unfortunately, I was in a car wreck when I was 15, and I lost my splein. I was told that it was no big deal, so I went on 'business as usual.' After I aced the ASFAB, I thought I was a shoe-in. Hell, I had recruiters from every branch of the service doing everythig short of tossing hookers through my bedroom window. That is, of course, untill they found out that I had no splein. When they found that out, they just got up off my couch, and told me to have a nice day. Damn I wish I could've served my country like my mom, dad, grandpa, great-grandpa, and great-great-grandpa did.

So what about you? Did you follow in the footsteps of your parents? What did your parent's do, and why did (or didn't) you do the same thing?

--Mark Twain
Superhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 07:11 PM
Obsessed Fan

My parents are both teachers, so are my aunt and uncle on one side and cousin on the other. But no. I don't want to do it so much. Knowing me I'll probably end up as an English Teacher though

I want to be a writer or a publicist or own my own botique. We'll see.
Old 06-05-2004, 07:14 PM
Administrator

I didn't follow in my parents' footsteps, career-wise, anyway. My father worked as a foreman for the subway system in New York City, and my mother was a records clerk for the town we lived in, but I'm an engineer for a valve company. My parents also lived in New York City and later New Jersey, while I've ended up here in a distant suburb of Houston Texas.

I think my father's choice of career was fine, but I never wanted to be a mechanic or work in New York City.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Jerry D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 07:27 PM
Fan Forum Star

I don't want to follow in my mom's footsteps because she was twenty when she had me. She has a good job but not what i want to be doing when i'm 50. lol
icon: xthebesthing
*Kaylee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 07:33 PM
Master Fan

Re: Following in your parent's footsteps...

Quote:
Originally posted by Superhero
After I aced the ASFAB, I thought I was a shoe-in. Hell, I had recruiters from every branch of the service doing everythig short of tossing hookers through my bedroom window.
The same thing happened to me. I had recruiters coming out of the woodwork, but I had no desire to join the military. My father (as well as all the men in my family) is retired Army, and he did not want an Army life for his daughter (nor did this daughter want one).

So, I obviously did not follow in my father's footsteps. My mother was a political correspondent for the Nashville newspaper, as well as a journalist/photojournalist for the local paper in Alabama. She was a brilliant photographer, but gave up her career when she got married and had kids. ...and she was happy with that decision.

While I've written a couple of freelance articles for the local paper, I'm hardly a journalist.

I'm a teacher.

Drunk Girl
47th & 9th
AuburnGrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 07:37 PM
Total Fan

My Dads a mechanic - service manager - service counter worker at a Chrysler Dealership for like 35 years.

Mom started out as a hairdresser, then she became a short order cook. Mainly out of necessity for another income coming into the house.

I really don't wish to follow in either of thier footsteps.
Old 06-05-2004, 07:43 PM
Obsessed Fan

I love my parents, but I most definitely don't want to follow in their footsteps...

~Kat
TheCheshireKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 07:49 PM
Master Fan

Mentally, I'd love to follow in my Dad's footsteps. I've learned a lot from him, and he's really smart and a good guy. But I don't necessarily want to ever do what he's doing.

lex/lana("I did it for you") felicity/noel("you're my first boyfriend") trey/alex(mixing business with pleasure) seth/chloe(every superhero needs a lois lane)
last beautiful girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 08:22 PM
Master Fan

Like Monroe, my parents are both teachers. They would have loved for me to be a teacher too, but it's not what I'm interested in. My husband is a teacher, and one of my sisters is thinking about it, so that makes them happy.

I'm currently a loan officer. What I really want to do is own a restaurant. I'm going to take over my uncle's restaurant when he retires or wants out of the business.

jennarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 08:35 PM
Master Fan

My dad used to be a lineman for a hydro company but he recently injured his knee in a work related accident so since then, he's been assigned to office and call dispatching duties...

When my mom was younger, she used to proof read reports for some company but since having me, she became a housewife and stopped working ever since.

I would never want to be a lineman but I guess I wouldn't mind the office work. And I don't really know if I'd want to stay home after getting married and having kids... I guess it would all depend on the job I had and the income situation at that time...
Charlize'sAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 11:25 PM
Elite Fan

Re: Following in your parent's footsteps...

Quote:
Originally posted by Superhero
After I aced the ASFAB, I thought I was a shoe-in.
ASVAB.

Yeah, I was on the path, i was doing what they had done all their lives, and i said to hell with that, and called up colleges the next day.

Do not want to follow.
Old 06-05-2004, 11:39 PM
Moderator Support Team

Moderator of ...
Off Topic

I don't want to follow. Mostly because I'm not interested. I never felt any pressure about following whoever's footsteps. I'd hate the comparison. Ugh.
Quarterley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 03:37 AM
Loyal Fan

I don't want to but I'm starting more and more to become like my mother and working toward her line of work.
Old 06-06-2004, 03:46 AM
Extreme Fan

I'm not much like either of my parents, but both of them have their own business which is what I want to do in the long run, so I guess I'm heading down the same path excpet in totaly different fields.
My dad's an architect and I can't even spell the damn job, let alone do it!

"Chi trova un amico , trova un tesoro"
*Lor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 05:05 AM
Addicted Fan

Both my parents are librarians and I am NOT planning on becoming one.
I LOVE books, but I could never deal with all those people that comes into the library everyday.lol.
Avie: Isis2015
Novlótë is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread