Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 11:56 PM
Obsessed Fan

"Crisis Support and Advice."

I'm kind of going through a crisis and advice would be helpful or just to know that others can understand.

I'm a 31-year-old, legally blind woman. I currently live with my mother and sister (who is 17). My mother is moving with my sister and they are moving in with my mother's boyfriend. Their relationship seems very serious. I'm being left behind. I asked if I could come live with her there and she said no. I asked if her boyfriend could come live here and she said no. I'm sad. My sister has multiple disabilities inclduing Epilepsy.

In addition to my severe visual loss, I have suffered past childhood trauma bad enough that I'm not able to handle a romantic relationship of my own. In addition, five years ago I was held up at gun point outside my home with my family. That seemed to add to the trauma. My father hasn't been a part of my life.

My vision is severe enough that I'm not able to work. I have a large print software program that allows me to see what's on the computer screen.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:45 AM
Elite Fan

Yes, I understand. I have answered more specifically in a Private Message.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:55 AM
Supreme Fan

I don't know what kind of insurance you have, or what kind of income you have, but perhaps you can get in touch with an organization that could provide a caregiver for a certain amount of time every day or week, in home, to do some of the basics, like cleaning, cooking meals, finding items you may have misplaced, things like that. It also might be helpful to get in touch with a therapist to talk about your traumas and to develop some coping mechanisms (if you are going to therapy than stick with it, and if you did go but it didn't help, please look for another therapist because I found an amazing therapist who really helped me with my anxiety disorder).
I live near Louisville, KY and had an ex-boyfriend whose step father was totally blind and he was able to work so you might look around and see if there are any jobs you're capable of doing. Perhaps there are schools or organizations that cater to people who are blind in your area. Even if you're just doing volunteer work, you could meet other people to interact with and people you could count on if you ever needed help with anything.
Good luck!
Old 07-14-2010, 08:51 AM
Elite Fan

It's painful when there is such an extreme change in life. But even when change is scary and even when it hurts, there are good things that can come from it.

Sometimes relying on family members can keep us from recognizing other possibiliites that might be open to us.

Have you found out about any local organizations that might be able to assist or advise you?

I hope that there will be good possibilites coming your way.

Visit Picture Confessions #2...it's all about secrets!
Lemurian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:20 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Off Topic

I am not sure I have any advice for you but I can offer support.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:11 PM
Elite Fan

"MalloryKeaton" The above posts are great suggestions and promises of support and understanding. People care and want to assist you best we can.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:20 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Hey MalloryKeaton, I'm Ju TheAngel has given you some great suggestions. And like her, I definitely encourage you to look for therapy, or stick to it in case you're already going. Talking to someone really really helps when we're coping with such traumatic events, more than we realize at first. I really hope everything works out
Aurora Cormier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:59 AM
Elite Fan

Talking really does help. Problems never seem quite as big when they are shared.

Visit Picture Confessions #2...it's all about secrets!
Lemurian is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread