Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 05:27 PM
Dedicated Fan

"Bible" songs

I was thinkin about this late last night after having a few beers... but the Father Abraham song the one about him having many sons, small children could get confused by that if they don't have the cognitive ability to understand that saying he had many sons was representative of his sons, grandsons, great grandsons, so on and so forth. They could confuse him with Jacob who did have many sons while Abraham only had two. Did anybody else ever realize this?

I need to stop drinking, I think too much and am too honest so it can never be good.
Old 10-20-2004, 05:30 PM
Master Fan

Uh... riddle much?

"What we've got here is...failure to communicate"
Galaxia21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 05:31 PM
Passionate Fan

Re: "Bible" songs

So, were you singing:

Father Abraham...had many sons...and many sons had Father Abraham...I am one of them....and so are you....so....LET'S GO GET *****ED UP!!! Cos it would be funny.

I guess I never thought about it, but then again, I had excellent cognitive abilities as a child
Ambular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 06:21 PM
Loyal Fan

well i read it and since im half asleep i didnt read it properly so ill just say

if u say so
poo90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 06:57 PM
Passionate Fan

Father Jacob doesn't work because Jacob does not have enough syllables. And since Abraham was Jacob's father, it kind of works I guess. I mean "Father Abraham had many grandsons, many grandsons had father Abraham..." just doesn't sound pleasing to the ear.

I think they are more concerned about the kids having fun then actually learning the geneology of the Old Testment .
mh67511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 08:07 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by mh67511
And since Abraham was Jacob's father, it kind of works I guess.
Actually, Abraham was Jacob's grandfather and Isac was Jacob's father.
Old 10-20-2004, 08:10 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Cereal Killer
Actually, Abraham was Jacob's grandfather and Isac was Jacob's father.
Ah...yeah if Sunday School were graded I most definitely woud have failed!

So Abraham has Jacob and Esau...(whatever happened to Esau)? Then Jacob had Issac...and didn't he have an illegitimate child Ishmael, with his servant?
mh67511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 10:21 PM
Addicted Fan

I thought that was a drinking song, not a Sunday School song. A Scottish guy taught it to me a few years ago..."Father Abraham, had seven sons he had, and seven sons had Father Abraham. But he never laughed, and he never cried, all he did was go like this!" And then you do various arm and leg movements and wackiness ensues.

icon credit
alli balli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 10:32 PM
Absolute Fan

i paid so little attention in sunday school, i think i was 12 when i figured out who Father Abraham even was. but i used to teach 3-year-olds sunday school, so the only songs i know Jesus Loves Me and God Made My Eyes.
Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bobble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.
----
PETA
People for the Eating of Tasty Animals
Kaptain Kristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 05:21 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by mh67511
Ah...yeah if Sunday School were graded I most definitely woud have failed!

So Abraham has Jacob and Esau...(whatever happened to Esau)? Then Jacob had Issac...and didn't he have an illegitimate child Ishmael, with his servant?
No, Abraham had Isac who had Jacob and Esau. Abraham also had Ishmael. And Jacob had 12 sons. See, I know my Sunday school.
Old 10-21-2004, 05:54 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Cereal Killer
No, Abraham had Isac who had Jacob and Esau. Abraham also had Ishmael. And Jacob had 12 sons. See, I know my Sunday school.
And Jacob and Esau were twins (i think) and Jacob stole Esau's birthright and left to go find a non cannanite wife and ended up with Rachel and Leah and two other people but he loved Rachel the most and she was barren until she had Joseph and Benjamin... anyway, I think that is pretty good for an atheist.
Reply   Post New Thread