Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 06-30-2005, 06:18 AM
Master Fan

Evanescence News Thread #2

Finally! So, we're at thread 2.

From the last thread...

According to author Tom Reynolds, My Immortal is one of the most depressing songs of all time (it made the list at 24/25). Here's what he had to say about it:

Quote:
24. My Immortal Evanescence (2002)
A whimpering post-breakup tune in which lead singer Amy Lee pitifully mourns the end of a relationship over a piano accompaniment that sounds like Pachelbel after the Prozac wore off. My Immortal closely follows the "quantum tragedy paradigm": the shorter the time two people spent together as a couple, the more overwrought the song is that describes their break-up. Judging by the lorry-load of anguish Lee spews out, she split from someone she dated for about an hour (if her lyrics are to be believed, the guy was a real freak, too).
I agree with the fact that MI is a rather depressing song, but I disagree on his reasoning. But, everyone has their own opinions... If you want to read the rest of the list, head on over to the last thread.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:34 PM
Addicted Fan

Oh, good, new thread In Poland musical critics have ascertained, that "My Immortal" is 'weak, not interesting and unsuccesful' song. And what? For 4 months "My Immortal" did not come down from lists of hits. Now "MI" is a hymne of lovers. I agree that "MI" is depressing song. I always cry when I hear this song. 'Hello' too.
I hate the small talk and the empty days

Old 07-01-2005, 04:03 AM
Master Fan

Excuse me? Amy Lee does nothing "pitifully." Has he even heard the song?
Old 07-01-2005, 12:50 PM
Master Fan

I think My Immortal is the biggest Evanescence song. I don't see how it's weak. But whatever.. maybe they're just not up for good music!

As for the song being a break up song, I think maybe that guy heard the song once and deemed it depressing and came up with a half-assed reason why.

No, I'm not worked up over this.
Old 07-02-2005, 02:10 PM
Master Fan

Well, it's not that we're biased or anything...

When first heard it I thought it was beautiful, then I listened to the lyrics and thought it was sad. I never thought break-up at any point.
Old 07-02-2005, 02:18 PM
Addicted Fan

For the first time, when I've read 'MI' lyrics, I thought, that this song is about love. But not up to the end. Ben Moody (or Amy? I don't remember) said that this song is about someone's death, when someone die and departs... And then I understand this song.

I don't like Ben since his departure from the band, but he writes BEAUTIFUL lyrics.
I hate the small talk and the empty days

Old 07-03-2005, 06:30 AM
Master Fan

When I first heard My Immortal, it was probably the saddest song I'd heard ever. It was the song that really caught my attention for Ev (Missing sealed the deal ) but I remember trying to fall asleep listening to it, but couldn't because the song just moved me too much.

Ben does write beautifully. I can't wait til he releases his album! I wonder if it'll sound like Fallen or if he'll try something different.
Old 07-03-2005, 07:02 PM
Elite Fan

all

newbie here. I just love Evanescence. Anyway, with My Immortal, seeing them perform the song in concert makes the song so powerful and why I think it is one of the best ballads of all!
[Edward & Bella] [Rob & Kristen] [Tyler & Ally] [Max & Liz] [Nathan & Haley] [Sawyer & Kate]
Old 07-04-2005, 07:43 AM
Ultimate Fan

I agree that MI is a sad song. And I also related it with a break-up, mostly because I was going through a break-up when that song was on the radio all the time. I sort of related it with my personal experience at the time.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:29 PM
Master Fan

Hey there Dreamer! Welcome to the board! Hope to see you around more.

I just read this article about Maroon5. It said that they weren't going to fall under the "Best New Artist" curse, like Evanescence, Paula Cole and some other person did before. WTF? Evanescence have not fallen under the curse as they like to say. Just because it's been two years doesn't mean they have failed to follow up.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:58 AM
Ultimate Fan

I think that statement is unfair to Evanescence. The band didn't fall under the curse of Best New Artist. They toured for a long time. And now they're writing new stuff. When they're ready, they'll record the new album. And I think it will be released in the end of this year.
This is normal. Just normal. Did they expect Evanescence to release a record every year? They have to tour. And writing new music also takes time. They want to release a good second album and that takes time.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:10 AM
Master Fan

Exactly what I thought. I mean, I bet they could have released another album during that time, but I'm sure they wouldn't have been all too happy with it. I'd rather them take their time and work on an album they'd be proud of than an album they rushed through and aren't happy with but have to release it because their label is a poohead.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:33 PM
Master Fan

Someone at the Evboard posted this interesting bit of news from the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette:

Quote:
REBEL WITH A CAUSE:
Evanescence lead singer Amy Lee, formerly of Little Rock, soon speaks out on a subject close to her heart — epilepsy. Her younger brother has the disease.
Lee is the new national spokesman for the National Epilepsy Foundation. She’ll appear in a series of TV ads to shed light on epilepsy and contribute time and money to create educational materials to be distributed in schools.
I think that's awesome that she's doing that.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:30 AM
Ultimate Fan

That's very nice of her.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:00 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost lullaby
Hey there Dreamer! Welcome to the board! Hope to see you around more.
Thanks I will definitely be posting here more. I will also say how much I love this group. I also make music videos where I used a lot of their songs and I also won awards too
[Edward & Bella] [Rob & Kristen] [Tyler & Ally] [Max & Liz] [Nathan & Haley] [Sawyer & Kate]