Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 07-28-2009, 03:45 PM
Master Fan

X-Files Discussion - When Was the Show at Its Absolute Peak?

We all agree that the X-Files was a special show; one of the greatest shows of all time. But when was it at its absolute peak? When was it at its absolute best?

Was it a whole season? Or a run of episodes? Or perhaps it was just a single scene lasting just a couple of minutes where it reached perfection, something the show could never attain again.

Chat about the X-Files (the greatest show of all time) here!
Old 07-29-2009, 09:31 AM
Elite Fan

Hmm I think season 3 to seasons 5 were the best.

If I had to choose one, I'd say season 5
Old 07-29-2009, 09:41 AM
Master Fan

Hmm...the scene in Redux II where Mulder tells the assembled committee that Blevins is the man in the FBI who is connected to the conspiracy. The way it cuts to Scully praying while Mulder is talking about her integrity. Then goes into these quick scenes of Blevins being killed and Cancerman being shot. Not that I think the show went downhill after that but to me that has always been the perfect mythology episode.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:07 PM
Master Fan

Not sure about the show's absolute peak but I think the comedic peak had to be season 6 with Dreamland, How the Ghosts Stole Christmas, Rain King, Arcadia and The Unnatural all occuring in the span on one season

Old 07-31-2009, 12:39 PM
Elite Fan

I think S3 for MOTW episodes was best, quite a few good ones there
Old 07-31-2009, 02:24 PM
Passionate Fan

I think saeson 5 was kinda the peak because all the different types of eps were good, while in later seasons we had good eps and bad eps of different kinds. Does that make sence? I almost confused myself.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:06 PM
Elite Fan

That's what I would say too, but truthfully I think the show's amazing and it'd be really hard for me to pick a moment or a season where the show was at it's peak. Plus I didn't really start watching until about the 7th season.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:02 PM
Passionate Fan

You're right. It would be extremely difficult to pick a single moment or episode.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:13 AM
Total Fan

I think season 4 and 5 were when the show hit it's peak. Especially with all the anticipation leading to the first feature film, FTF.

Tumblr
Old 08-03-2009, 12:48 PM
Master Fan

I think I'd probably agree that around season 4/5 was the show at it's absolute best.

In later seasons the stand-alone MOTW or comedy episodes stayed strong but the mythology becamse a mess.

In season 4/5 the mythology was still going strong, combined with lots of great stand-alone eps (Paper Hearts, Leonard Betts, Small Potatoes, Post Modern Prometheus, Bad Blood etc etc etc)

Old 08-03-2009, 02:41 PM
Fan Forum Hero

for me S6/7, which probably doesn't come as a surprise since I keep on saying how much I love S6

avi by neel luvs tony
Old 08-03-2009, 03:48 PM
Obsessed Fan

I would say seasons 3-5. For me it just wasn't really the same after the start of season 6, mostly because of the move to LA, it wasn't as dark and atmospheric (sp?) and I missed the gloomy darkness. Season 8 I felt was a bit of a return to the darkness, especially the first half. Although most of my favourite comedic episdoes come from season 6.

Season 9 was a bit pants. It was the whole supersoldier storyline. I liked Doggett and Reyes though, so it wasn't all bad. Season 9 to me just didn't feel very X-Filey, I can't quite put my finger on what it was though.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:47 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Season 9 to me just didn't feel very X-Filey, I can't quite put my finger on what it was though.
No Mulder !
Old 08-04-2009, 11:30 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by *KIA* (View Post)
for me S6/7, which probably doesn't come as a surprise since I keep on saying how much I love S6
I would agree with you that s6/7 are my favourite seasons but that doesn't necessarily mean the best.

Just looking at 2 DVDs side by side in my room to compare - Memento and Me, Myself and Irene. Now there's no debate that Memento is the 'better' film but my favourite of the two is Me, Myself... The one I could watch more often

So I think season 4/5 are the show's 'best' but 6/7 are my 'favourite'

Old 08-04-2009, 02:54 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel luvs tony (View Post)
No Mulder !
yeah, that's probably it!!