Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2007, 02:39 AM
Loyal Fan

X-Files Discussion - Could the X-Files have continued past season 9?

I just wondered your thoughts on whether the X-Files could have continued for a season 10 or even more than that?

As GA was out of contract and had no intention of staying on the show it would have been difficult to do mythology epsisodes with Doggett and Reyes which were by far my favourite part of the show/

On the other hand Doggett and Reyes were brilliant together in the MOTW Season 9 episodes (Daemonicus, 4-D, Underneath, Scary Monsters, Release).

In conclusion I think the show could have continued and done a good job, I genuinely believe the last 2 seasons were nowhere near as bad people make out.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:36 AM
Part-Time Fan

Well, I think the last two seasons could have definitely been better, IMO. But, I think the show might have been able to go on if there were a lot of people who really liked seasons 8 and 9.
Although, the show's ability to go on might have not existed, as most people got fed up with the show in the last two seasons, because they brought two new characters in in that amount of time and it just wasn't the same as just having Mulder and Scully.

So, I personally think The X-Files might have been able to go on for another season. But only one more. Just my opinion though.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:40 PM
Master Fan

Well I think it could have continued story-wise as I think it would have moved to pretty much all MOTW episodes and you could make them forever, they just might not be that good but you could make them

However I really don't think it would have been practical. The fans were disappearing and even if Fox did agree to bring it back, I think the budget would probably have been greatly cut. And actually I really can't see that Fox would have renewed it.

Personally with no Mulder or Scully I'm glad it ended. And if the stories had to go on with Dogget and Reyes I would have liked the X-Files finished and then a spin-off featuring those two. I get the feeling the show would have been really bad and just hurt the X-Files reputation

So it maybe could have continued, I don't think it should have and I'm probably glad it didn't

Chat about the X-Files (the greatest show of all time) here!
Old 09-06-2009, 03:41 PM
Obsessed Fan

I think that it couldn't have continued, not with M&S anyway. Too much had happened for them to just go back to doing regular cases.

Unless it was then on the run, what happened to them in the weeks and months following Mulders jail break, how they got their lives back (well, Sullys) and the effect it would have on their relationship. With that it's quite restricted to what you can do. So I think they were right to end it where they did, and let M&S run off into the sunset and let us wonder what happened to them and if they stayed together or not.

If they were to continue with D&R they could pretty much just do MOTW and build a new mythology and appeal to a whole new fan base. But with TV even more cut throat these days than it was back then it would have to be pretty damn good.

Old 10-16-2009, 05:37 PM
New Fan

It could, but it would have needed better stories than we got in season 9. I also think they made a mistake, to be honest, in not cutting Scully loose at the end of season 8. D&R were fine, no Mulder & Scully true, but fine, but you'd be enjoying them and then every time you cut back to Scully you'd be like "Where's Mulder?"
Old 05-20-2011, 03:23 PM
Master Fan

I don't think they show could have lasted past 9 seasons. The stories were winding down, leaving not much left out there to do on a weekly basis.

Season 9 was depressing to watch. Don't get me wrong I loved John and Monica but it wasn't the same as what they x-files meant to us. There wasn't the same banter.

Now on a full length movie basis, I can see that. More easier for them to do a full story without having to cram it all in 45 mins of tv.

darylbeth
Old 09-26-2014, 10:37 AM
Elite Fan

I think the show could have continued definitely. There was a world of possibilities really, story-wise. Even the way they ended the show, there were still a lot of questions that could have been answered (None of which that were answered in the 2nd movie really. )
Old 09-27-2014, 01:59 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musickat18 (View Post)
I think the show could have continued definitely. There was a world of possibilities really, story-wise. Even the way they ended the show, there were still a lot of questions that could have been answered (None of which that were answered in the 2nd movie really. )
I agree. There was - and is - still plenty of story to tell, and the ending definitely left the door open to do that. If anything, the second movie gives us even more questions.

~Heidi
Old 09-27-2014, 10:31 PM
Master Fan

Yes, in principle. But not with Doggett and Reyes alone, imo. I was just missing Mulder and Scully too much!!!
X-files, epi #5-04, 'Detour'.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:06 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I was missing M/S as well, but I think the story could've continued on with the four, even if they did a Criminal Intent with every episode was switch with the characters like one week MS, the next week DR, another week SR or MD or even a couple with all four.
♩♪♫
.¸.•*´¨¤ ¤¨´*•.¸.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:01 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I think that a spin-off with D&R could have worked after season 8, but it was just too weird to continue the X-Files with such a lame explanation for Mulder's absense
Old 09-29-2014, 09:32 PM
Fan Forum Hero

^YES another confusing storyline.
♩♪♫
.¸.•*´¨¤ ¤¨´*•.¸.
Old 04-17-2018, 03:13 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Apparently, yes is the answer to this question
Old 11-16-2018, 12:27 PM
Fan Forum Hero

avi by neel luvs tony
Old 11-17-2018, 08:30 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
DC Extended Universe

I think the ending of season 11 answered a lot more question and closed open ends than the season 9 finale. There is still questions of course, especially william's future as first and only human supersoldier, but aside I found the ending ok.