Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2009, 05:38 AM
Fan Forum Hero

X-Files *Season One* Appreciation thread: liver eating mutants, Arctic alien worms & a special certain chemistry.

Okay, since we decided to switch to S3 in the episode of the week thread and I'm still in the middle of season one, I decided to look for the S1 thread... there was none So I'm making one

I'm bringing over the S1 stuff from the EOTW thread...

by Neel! Thanks hon!

Our voting system:
Plot - x/10
Dialogues - x/10
Mulder/Scully interaction - x/10
Scary factor - x/10
Guest stars - x/10
-

The Pilot

Deep throat

Squeeze

Conduit

The Jersey Devil

Ghost in the machine

Ice

Fire

Beyond the sea

Darkness Falls

Thanks for posting the cartoons, Eve!

1.00 Pilot: "The X-Files"
1.01 Deep Throat
1.02 Squeeze
1.03 Conduit
1.04 The Jersey Devil
1.05 Shadows
1.06 Ghost in the Machine
1.07 Ice
1.08 Space
1.09 Fallen Angel
1.10 Eve
1.11 Fire
1.12 Beyond the Sea
1.13 Genderbender
1.14 Lazarus
1.15 Young at Heart
1.16 E.B.E.
1.17 Miracle Man
1.18 Shapes
1.19 Darkness Falls
1.20 Tooms
1.21 Born Again
1.22 Roland
1.23 The Erlenmeyer Flask

avi by neel luvs tony

Last edited by reason to believe; 04-18-2019 at 10:24 PM
Old 03-24-2009, 05:47 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Okay, I just watched Tooms and had lots of fun Gotta walk the dog now, but will be back later to comment!

avi by neel luvs tony
Old 03-24-2009, 07:00 AM
Master Fan

One thing that comes to mind, about S1......well, indirectly: 'Deep Throat' dies at the end of S1, right? I realized he was the only dead character that did not re-appear in 'The Truth', right? Does anybody know why?
X-files, epi #5-04, 'Detour'.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:47 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Oh, no clue, Stewie... maybe someone else knows something?

Okay, so Tooms... this guy is one scary liver eater!
My favorite scene was the one where he spots that woman and you can READ in his face what exactly he is planning and you can see how excited he is and you are scared he is gonna get poor blondie and then... boom... out of nowhere Mulder is suddenly in the way
"I'm looking for my dog. His name is Heinrich. He's a Norwegian Elkhound. I use him to hunt moose!"
I think that was extremely well done

I felt really sorry for Mulder in court. He knew he was right and he sounded totally unbelievable and ridiculous. Sniff.
But I liked how it becomes clearer that Mulder and Scully manage to work together and understand each other, complement each other.
She really stood up to Skinner in that meeting (Skinner: Well, maybe your mind has become too open.) and after the court hearing it was sweet how she interacted with Mulder...

Well, and then of cousre that famous scene in the car was great to watch again
Fox Mulder: Got that sandwich I asked for?
Dana Scully: It's liverwurst.
Dana Scully: You know that proper surveillance requires two pairs of agents,one pair relieving the other after 12 hours.
Fox Mulder: Article 30, paragraph 8.7?
Dana Scully: This isn't about doing it by the book. You haven't slept for three days.You're gonna get sloppy and you're gonna get hurt. It's inevitable. I loved her for that! Dana Scully isn't insisting on doing it by the book... must really be love
Fox Mulder: A request for other agents to stake out Tooms would be denied.
Dana Scully: Then I'll stay, you go home.
Fox Mulder: They're out to put an end to the X-Files, Scully. I don't know why, but any excuse will do. I don't really care about my record, but you'd be in trouble just sitting in this car.I'd hate to see you carry an official reprimand in your file because of me. and I love him for THAT...
Dana Scully: Fox...
Fox Mulder: I... I... even made my parents call me Mulder.
Dana Scully: Mulder, I wouldn't put myself on the line for anybody but you. Okay, Scully wins...
Fox Mulder: If there's an iced tea in that bag, it could be love.
Dana Scully: Must be fate, Mulder. Root beer.
trivia from tv.com

- first appearance of AD Walter Skinner (I was kinda shocked... thought he had been in an earleir ep...)
- This is the first episode that the Cigarette Smoking Man speaks in.
- This episode marks the first time a serial killer has returned for a sequel. The other two killers are Robert Modell ("Pusher" and "Kitsunegari") and Donny Pfaster ("Irresistible" and "Orison")

avi by neel luvs tony
Old 03-24-2009, 12:20 PM
Elite Fan

that scene in the car. Classic

I was surprised when I first found out this was Skinner's first episode too, felt like he was always there
Old 03-24-2009, 12:29 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Know what you mean... after so many seasons with him we see Mulder and Scully and just assume his presence

avi by neel luvs tony
Old 03-24-2009, 12:40 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Know what you mean... after so many seasons with him we see Mulder and Scully and just assume his presence
Yep And same goes for CSM, I never realised that he had not talked before that.

Quote:
"I'm looking for my dog. His name is Heinrich. He's a Norwegian Elkhound. I use him to hunt moose!"
For someone who was trying to find his abducted sister and going through some problem or another, Mulder had a great sense of humour and he was very sarcastic. I am surprised no one tried to kill him for being sarcastic.

I like the S1 Mulder and Scully the best. Esp Scully, she was funny and playful too. She got very serious after her abduction. Mulder should have thought her how to be funny despite of the mountain of problems.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:59 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel luvs tony (View Post)
Yep And same goes for CSM, I never realised that he had not talked before that.

For someone who was trying to find his abducted sister and going through some problem or another, Mulder had a great sense of humour and he was very sarcastic. I am surprised no one tried to kill him for being sarcastic.

I like the S1 Mulder and Scully the best. Esp Scully, she was funny and playful too. She got very serious after her abduction. Mulder should have thought her how to be funny despite of the mountain of problems.
True. She was really playful and flirty too!

And Mulder is a sarcastic pain in the bum... but so good looking at the same time
It's weird he hasn't been fired for that... not the good looking part I mean, in most jobs a behaviour like that would get you fired for sure

avi by neel luvs tony
Old 03-24-2009, 02:58 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by *KIA* (View Post)
It's weird he hasn't been fired for that... not the good looking part I mean, in most jobs a behaviour like that would get you fired for sure

Quote:
MULDER: There's classified government information I've being trying to access, but someone has been blocking my attempts to get at it.

SCULLY: Who? I don't understand.

(She sits up a little.)

MULDER: Someone at a higher level of power. The only reason I've been allowed to continue with my work is because I've made connections in congress.
Mulder has connections in high places. There's also CSM who I always thought was very much content to keep him in the FBI so the consortium has means to have some sort of control over "the quest". And he had Skinner as his boss.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:08 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yes, I know, but had he worked anywhere else, he would so have been fired

But thanks for posting this quote. Mulder's "me against the world" attitude sometimes makes me forget he also must have friends in higher positions

avi by neel luvs tony

Last edited by kiamay; 03-24-2009 at 03:13 PM
Old 03-24-2009, 03:27 PM
Master Fan

^You know I wish they had more scenes between him and Senator Matheson. Those type of scenes(including the DT and X scenes here) gave the show such an awesome All the President's Men feel to the show.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:32 PM
Passionate Fan

^^ You know, I never really liked that character or his connection with Mulder. I could never take it seriously. It felt too much like an old style conspiracy movie... which was probably the point, but still

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_Stewie (View Post)
One thing that comes to mind, about S1......well, indirectly: 'Deep Throat' dies at the end of S1, right? I realized he was the only dead character that did not re-appear in 'The Truth', right? Does anybody know why?
Did his dad come back in 'The Truth'? I can't remember.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:59 AM
Dedicated Fan

i think Deep Throat doesn't reappear in the Truth because he has already been in Mulder's mind in The Sixth Extinction. in addition, Deep Throat admits that he has happy life, gets married and has kids. so we've got Krycek, Mr. X and Line Gunmen in The Truth, not to mention a very alive CSM.

btw, have you all known that actually in the original script Scully had a boyfriend in Pilot? fortunately CC knew that Scully's scenes w/ a boyfriend wouldn't do any good to the plot. so he decided to keep the boyfriend in the deleted-scene parts only. thank God!

one thing i noticed in Season 1 is Scully's hair, big flashlights and out-of-dated cellphones
Old 03-27-2009, 03:59 PM
Passionate Fan

Scully's hair was abnormally bright in the first season
Old 03-28-2009, 04:01 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by esdawet (View Post)
btw, have you all known that actually in the original script Scully had a boyfriend in Pilot? fortunately CC knew that Scully's scenes w/ a boyfriend wouldn't do any good to the plot. so he decided to keep the boyfriend in the deleted-scene parts only. thank God!

one thing i noticed in Season 1 is Scully's hair, big flashlights and out-of-dated cellphones
Yeah, I'm glad they didn't include the boyfriend, I much prefer it that they are two lost souls just thrown together.

On a less a cheesy note, the huge phones were so funny!