Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 06-06-2004, 12:24 PM
Obsessed Fan

Alia Shawkat (Maeby/Surely Funke) Appreciation Thread - Master of Deception

How can you not love the real master of trouble in the family. Possibly even considered a black sheep if this family could have one. She got a croccodile in spelling, her business management at the banana stand left much to be desired, and she inadvertantly cause her cousin to fall for her.

I doubt any of us will eat any of our candy hearts at valentines day that say "Maybe Tonight" ever again.

Last edited by Gleebo; 06-06-2004 at 02:26 PM
Old 06-06-2004, 05:25 PM
Extreme Fan

I love Maybe and her wheelchair alter ego.
Old 06-06-2004, 06:07 PM
Obsessed Fan

So now she has kissed 2 family members to try and gain attention. Hilarious.
Old 06-06-2004, 10:20 PM
Master Fan

As much as I love Maeby (and Surely), I'll always remember Alia as Hannah on State of Grace. A memorable series that unfortunately suffered a short life due to management changes at the Fox Family network (it was bought by ABC and became ABC Family).

But I was so glad to see Alia show up on yet another great series in a role vastly different from Hannah. It was almost jarring to see her go from sweet little Hannah to deceptive Maeby but she immediately won me over in her new role.
Old 06-06-2004, 11:44 PM
Extreme Fan

I've never seen "state of grace" but heard great things about it.

So Maeby's father is gay anf she "likes" her cousin...and kissed her uncle...who likes her now...twisted(soap opera-ish too)
Old 06-07-2004, 08:34 AM
Addicted Fan

this is what i love about this show...every character is played by an amazing actor. and Alia is one of em! she is so great and brings so much to her character Maeby. one of my fave scense with Maeby is when she and Michael r going to the company for take-ur-daughter-to-work-day and she keeps running out of the car

*iva*

Look for the girl with the broken smile
Ask her if she wants to stay awhile
Old 06-07-2004, 08:46 AM
Master Fan

That was great. By the end of the scene they were both all sweaty from the running.

I never thought Michael and Maeby could be such a great comedic duo They should get more scenes together.
Old 06-07-2004, 09:56 AM
Addicted Fan

Hopefully they will in season 2!

Sarah
Old 06-07-2004, 10:28 AM
Obsessed Fan

My roommate thinks that she is the weak spot in the cast. I disagree. There are no weak spots in this cast. I loved her interaction in the first season with George Michael. Does anyone now think that the crush has switched to Maeby on GM from the last episode?
Old 06-07-2004, 05:47 PM
Addicted Fan

she is totally not the weak spot in cast. i dont think there is one. she has such a dry delivery of her lines that its genious. Maeby is allways calm and colected. and thats what i love about her

and oh yeah the whole switch on the M/GM crush should be interasting.

i wonder is she know that her dad is gay??

*iva*

Old 06-07-2004, 06:17 PM
Obsessed Fan

I don't think she's the weak spot in the cast either. The cast is pretty well rounded. I read on IMDb that's the actress is only 15, she definately holds her own againt the older cast members.

I hope we haven't seen the last of Surely.
Old 06-08-2004, 04:36 AM
Obsessed Fan

What about her graph about time she spends with her parents when they are fighting and when they arent. Great stuff.
Old 06-08-2004, 12:40 PM
Addicted Fan

the graph is a classic Maeby!!! that was so funny!

*iva*

Old 06-09-2004, 12:16 PM
Obsessed Fan

You had to love Maeby from the get go with her trying to scam George Michael with a foot in her banana.
Old 06-09-2004, 08:16 PM
Dedicated Fan

I love her. For one thing Maeby Funke is probably one of the best character names on TV today.

I liked when she was first in the pilot and GM says, "It looks like a foot."

And she says "It tasted like a foot!"

Just the way she said it cracked me up.

I don't think she's the weak spot either.
Tobias: You know, first of all, we are doing this for her, okay, because neither one of us wants to get divorced. And second-of-ly, I know you’re the big marriage expert. Oh, I’m sorry. I forgot. Your wife is dead.

---
Michael: That cousin of yours is a hell of a girl. It’s too bad you can’t date her.

George Michael: No, I meant... Wait, you wouldn’t have a problem with that? Nothing!