Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 03-24-2010, 07:05 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demy (View Post)
Well you need to think as the human kind. It's exactly the same situation... " who the hell is God to bring people on earth?"
It's been said man is born for God will and on earth they are gonna proof their good side or bad side for the free will they have.
Obviously not everyone believes in God and here's is all the concept of the losties. Sayid obviously don't believe in Jacob/God and does what he wants to. He chose to lose his humanity in exchange of what he wants the most.
Sawyer might not believe in God either but in the same time he shows he's not corrupted, all he wants is freedom for himself and the people he cares about. Jack and Hurley looks like they believe and are doing what Jacob/God is telling them to do.
Jacob/God are not forcing anyone neitehr is manipulating them... he's got rules and tells the loties what they should do...but wether they do it or not...it's up to the losties :shurg:
I guess that's what it comes down to, that debate. It's like the story of Job. Religious people will see Job/Losties story of being tried to prove themselves as a moral story while others see it as a manipulation by a god. I see it as a manipulation others will see it the other way.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:05 AM
Banned

I really hope this isn't some moral lesson on Christianity especially since their demographic is so vast. Not eveyone believes in religion, and if they do, to some it's not called 'God.' So it would really be unfortunate if they tried to sell the idea that the losties need to believe to find redemption in themselves.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:07 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemistry86 (View Post)
I really hope this isn't some moral lesson on Christianity especially since their demographic is so vast. Not eveyone believes in religion, and if they do, to some it's not called 'God.' So it would really be unfortunate if they tried to sell the idea that the losties need to believe to find redemption in themselves.
I completely agree with you. That's the problem that I had with BSG and I hope it doesn't happen on Lost.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:08 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
since their demographic is so vast. Not eveyone believes in religion
Butr this... this is exactly the plot.

Not everyone believes in religion = not all the losites believes in Jacob

You choose what to believe, just like they are doing. Jacob and MIb are there, it looks like Jacob and MIb are God and Evil but it's up to you to define what they are. For some they are God and Evil, for others are just manipulative bastards.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:09 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Exactly. Some people that Jacob brought to the island died while trying to redeem themselves. I think if they had known that was a possibility they would never have even signed up for this. He has not given them the full truth.

Well, any TV couple has no passion than Suliet, lol.

about the white/black stuff, i think Jacob is good too, i know that even if he didn't kill people by his own hands they still die, but it's not because of him that they are it's because of their destiny and maybe even choices and so on...
and for me obviously, MIB is evil.
yes, Jacob bring them to the island just like a comparison to GOD and human so i agree with Demy on that.
It will be
worth it...
icon tumblr
Old 03-24-2010, 07:10 AM
Loyal Fan

For some they are god and... Evi?

Old 03-24-2010, 07:11 AM
Master Fan

I missed an L
Old 03-24-2010, 07:12 AM
Banned

Yeah but it's the idea that if you choose to side with MIB then you are going to hell that is the problem, lol. Although, I guess we don't know what 'hell,' is. Is it some sort of place where you are never absolved of your sins?
Old 03-24-2010, 07:12 AM
Loyal Fan

No that's ok evi is my god!

Well I want to be on MIB's side because Titus...

Old 03-24-2010, 07:13 AM
Air
Elite Fan

Quote:
I don't think it is at all. If anything it's a moral critique of Christianity/religion/spirituality as it's being written, which I think is kind of awesome. Yes, there is a huge theme of redemption. But Jacob is being painted a pretty shady character, which makes it more intriguing and less high handed and righteous and more cynical and critical of how he operates.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:16 AM
Loyal Fan

I agree that it is shaping up to be a critique on religion because if they wanted to glorify it they wouldn't have made Jacob such a questionable character.

I also think Jacob's reasoning for protecting the island is odd. Isn't there already evil in the world? Or is MIB superevil?

Old 03-24-2010, 07:17 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Yeah but it's the idea that if you choose to side with MIB then you are going to hell that is the problem, lol
This could be also seen different. In the sneak peak of next episode Sayid says he doesn't feel anything : joy, anger, happiness, sadness etc... and Unlocke(MIB) tells him that it's better.
I'ts always up to debate IMO because some might see it as going to hell or just being wrong/evil and others could see it differently. It might be a good thing not to be able to have any feelings.

Also, this might have nothign to do with it but on the real world if you kill somebody, steal, give in to corruption and stuff... well you go to Jail. Son in the lost world..if that's what you do there's another kind of punishment.

Quote:
I don't think it is at all. If anything it's a moral critique of Christianity/religion/spirituality as it's being written, which I think is kind of awesome.
Yup, exactly.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:20 AM
Banned

I know MIB is corrupted but for the sake of my sanity and so I am not feeling cynical about this show when all is said and done, I have to hope Jacob isn't as 'good' as he is appearing to be, or this is all Darlton's parody or mockery of faith/religion. I just don't want things to be so direct and literal, lol.
Quote:
This could be also seen different. In the sneak peak of next episode Sayid says he doesn't feel anything : joy, anger, happiness, sadness etc... and Unlocke(MIB) tells him that it's better.
Yeah but Sayid is already damned. For all we know he is dead so why wouldn't he be hollow on the inside?
Old 03-24-2010, 07:22 AM
Loyal Fan

What if choosing sides is what is important right now simple, good vs evil, but not in the end? In the end it is about the Losties subverting BOTH MIB and Jacob in their game?

Old 03-24-2010, 07:22 AM
Master Fan

I'm a member of the Church of Richard

Icon by Judith