Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 09-04-2004, 04:01 AM
Elite Fan

Lesbianism On Other Shows - It's Not Just The L Word Anymore

It's definatly not just on The L Word anymore. Seems like tv shows everywhere are doing lesbian/gay storylines, moreso lesbian than anything though. Just curious if you guys watch anything else with sudo-lesbian characters.

Personally I'm quiet big into the pairing of Bianca and Maggie on All My Children. Bianca has been out for quiet some time and somewhat had a crush on her best friend Maggie. Recently Maggie confessed her love and now the two are going back and forth. It's quiet interesting and the two girls playing B/M have great chemistry and enjoy working with each other.

There's also Mel and Lindsay from Queer As Folk who I enjoy alot as well.

Recently the WB show One Tree Hill took a semi-lesbian turn with the subtext between it's two female leads, Brooke and Peyton. In the finale they were shown in bed together which has definate appeal and promise or perhaps something more later on down the line.

With the new season of television coming, I'm sure there will be countless more characters to discuss and I'm sure we can do that here to tide us over.

What are some of your fave fem/fem pairings today?

Nikki
Old 09-05-2004, 12:43 AM
Part-Time Fan

And now, at the risk of being perceived as a jerk, I present the following correction.

Pseudo.... Just trying to help, don't hate me...

...please...?

AHEM anyway...

Lesbians on TV isn't anything new, but it's certainly being explored more. I still remember the first "girl-girl" moment that I saw on TV. It was an episode of this show called Party Of Five and it's the only episode I've ever bothered watching. Neve Campbell's character wound up sharing a kiss with a lesbian character played by Julie Delphy. I don't remember much else about the show other than the last thing Delphy's character says before leaving.

"I'm not a lesbian because I hate men. I'm a lesbian because I love women."

And then Neve went had moments with Denise Richards in Wild Things.

Can't really think of any fem pairings outside of L, though. But I attribute that to not watching much TV, other than some news and a few select shows here and there.

http://bcnifm.com
Old 09-05-2004, 04:02 AM
Elite Fan

The only reason I seem to watch tv anymore is for the potential fem pairings. I couldn't agree more with Nikki about All My Children. The storyline with Maggie and Bianca is fantastic and has the classic soap couple feel to it. It's not treated any differently than any of the het pairings on the show, and I think that's fantastic.

I'm also on board with the Brooke/Peyton thing from One Tree Hill as well. I don't know if it was specifically written to come off the way it did, but when people who can't see subtext in the most blatant of circumstances started commenting on the last couple of episodes of the season, something must be up.

Nowadays I think the lines between strong friendship and actual romantic leanings on tv are being very blurred. Whether it's supposed to be that way or the actresses are just playing around with the material, I'm not really sure. But you can look at lots of shows and the female characters literally seem to be flirting with each other. Whether it be the way a line is delivered, a look shared or a touch delivered.

Mutant X's Shalimar and Emma were a great example of that. And not surprising, Lauen Lee Smith was in the middle of this one as well. The characters were friends, but the looks and touches were anything but. Whether the writers ever planned on anything happening or not we'll never know, but it's a lot of fun to fantasize

"Naya's my girl." - Heather Morris

|| Naya Rivera and Heather Morris Board Campaigns||Live Journal||Tumblr||
Old 09-05-2004, 07:43 AM
Dedicated Fan

What about buffy? with willow and tara. Their relationship was beautiful and loving.
Old 09-05-2004, 01:24 PM
Moderator Support Team

agreed .. i loved Willow and Tara odn Buffy .. or on ER i loved Kerry and Sandy

Sophie Devereaux is the finest actress you've ever seen, when she's breaking the law.

LEVERAGE campaign

Old 09-05-2004, 05:09 PM
Elite Fan

Melanie and Lindsay never did anything for me. They sort of bored/annoyed me.

Does subtext count? I always thought Tess and Isabel in Roswell had a lot of it...
Old 09-05-2004, 08:42 PM
Part-Time Fan

Xena & Gabrielle?

http://bcnifm.com
Old 09-06-2004, 02:47 AM
Master Fan

*frown* No one's talking about the subtexty goodness between Faith and Buffy? Casandra, yeah I love how you mentioned LLS and Vicky in there!

Buffy and Faith were crazy slashy. Even in AfterEllen.com, they admitted (rather Eliza admitted) that she was purposely trying to make a sexual tension between her and Sarah. In the episode called "Enemies", when Buffy kisses Faith on the forehead, the actual shot was that they were going to kiss, but the WB didn't approve of that at that time so they had to edit and change it. *sigh* How I wish I saw that though...

There was also a lesbian couple in "Starcrossed Lovers" of Tru Calling. It was pretty good. There have been many many. A lot of lesbian magazines I read like Curve endlessly mention that lesbian couples are now becoming more and more wanted in TV shows. This is good!
Old 09-06-2004, 03:56 AM
Elite Fan

I really liked that episode of Tru Calling now that you mention it Maxi. Very sweet and not as exploited as some of the other shows do just for shock factor. I wish they'd rerun it, I'd like to get it on tape.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kace
Xena & Gabrielle?
They're pretty much the Queen and Queen of it, aren't they? They seemed to have started the whole 'revolution'. Sigh. I miss Xena

Old 09-06-2004, 04:11 AM
Master Fan

They are the queen and queen, Cas. That's very cute of you to say that. Oh man I wish they'd rerun that so I can tape it. It was really good... the whole hiding thing... reminds me of that one t.A.T.u. song - Stars. I think all gay people ended up listening to t.A.T.u. ... I don't know... from what I know.
Old 09-06-2004, 05:09 AM
Elite Fan

Gay and bisexual maybe, because I have their cd too

Old 09-06-2004, 05:17 AM
Elite Fan

I just couldn't stand T.A.T.U because it was such a ploy, I don't think they were lesbians, I just think they were marketed and told to act that way to get people to pay attention to them. It's really sad when you think about it.

Nikki
Old 09-06-2004, 05:28 AM
Master Fan

Goodness, everyone knew they were such a ploy, but you know what? There are so many people in this world that so badly need music that depicts their life and the gay community really doesn't have anyone aside from Etheridge, KD and Ani. It's pretty limited. I guess some of us turned a bit crazy huh?

Don't worry, Cas, I have two of them and a single. I don't know why I love them so... I just do.
Old 09-06-2004, 05:39 AM
Elite Fan

I actually did like "All The Things She Said" but I wasn't a huge on their other stuff. I downloaded the american album they released.

You know as sad as it sounds, I've not seen much of the Xena/Gabby hotness towards the end of the show. I've only seen early episodes.

Nikki
Old 09-06-2004, 05:52 AM
Master Fan

My mom wouldn't let me watch it. I was like six at the time. But you know I watched the Xena/Gabrielle thing anyways. I'm bad. t.A.T.u. ... the masses were shocked when they found out both of them had boyfriends? Oh please. The music was good though. Some people just need someone to represent them... even if that's not the real them. At least that's how I feel.