Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 04-07-2004, 09:47 AM
Elite Fan

Does The L Word resemble Queer as Folk?

So yeah, I've heard lots of people say it's the female Queer as Folk but then again I also heard people say it's got nothing to do with each other, so what do you guys think? [img]smilies/look.gif[/img]
Old 04-09-2004, 10:18 AM
Elite Fan

Well I definatly see where people are getting that from. In the first episode especially I noticed alot of things that were similar. Shane came off as the female Brian Kinney while Dana came off as a Ted-like character. Bette/Tina reminded me of Mel/Linds and especially due to Bette/Linds job situations at a museum.

I think once the show gets some episodes behind it, we'll start to see how different the two shows are. For one thing, most of these girls are friends unlike the QaF guys who are not all the most friendly at times. I liken the L Word girls to more Sex and the City minus men myself.

[img]smilies/love.gif[/img]Nikki [img]smilies/sun.gif[/img]
Old 04-09-2004, 02:26 PM
Elite Fan

I think that also has to do something with gender, boys have different friendships than girls
Old 04-09-2004, 02:31 PM
Total Fan

For me it was a lot like Nikki said. First I just saw what I wanted to see and that was a lot like QaF (and that comes from a big qaf fan gg) but then I saw how different those two shows where.
They where more friendly with each other, and there is this thing going on I can't explain.
It's just different.
and why it means so much when we do.
Some hearts are more fragile than others. Purer somehow.
Like crystal in a world of glass, even the way they shatter is beautiful.
Old 04-10-2004, 03:36 PM
Master Fan

I think it does somewhat.

So far I do feel Shane is our female Brian, and that young girl (don't remember her name) whos mom is sleeping with Shane, I feel that she is our Justin.

I haven't really tried to put the rest of the cast with one another, but thats what I've caught with.

TLW shows alot more friendship and caring, unlike QAF masks it. Since it is a group of guys, guys dont always share their feelings that much.

darylღbeth
Old 04-10-2004, 05:08 PM
Absolute Fan

i don't think it does completely...
i think the l word is more focused on emotion and friendship, but maybe it's just me [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]
Old 04-11-2004, 02:44 AM
Total Fan

I don't really thing that this young girl is our justin cuz I dont know how to say I just think that she isn't our justin lol
There is first the thing that justin is more "shy" than this girl, you know what I mean? She seems tougher (is that the right word?) then justin in the beginning
and why it means so much when we do.
Some hearts are more fragile than others. Purer somehow.
Like crystal in a world of glass, even the way they shatter is beautiful.
Old 04-11-2004, 05:13 AM
Elite Fan

Hm, Justin never was shy, just young and unexperienced. [img]smilies/look.gif[/img] Though I don't see the daughter as Justin either.

And I think TLW is indeed more focused on emotions just cos women are more focused on it than men.
Old 04-11-2004, 04:42 PM
Obsessed Fan

I definitely see similar themes between the show's but I wouldn't go as far as saying it's "The Lesbian QAF" cuz I really don't think it's that close in comparison. Some of the core character basis do have a QAF vibe (like Shane of course who is Brian Kinney without the bracelet or d*ck [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] ) But TLW is more into creating the storyline then just the sexline...ya know?

Mel [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ 04-11-2004: Message edited DaWsonSReaLJoEy ]
Old 04-11-2004, 10:27 PM
Elite Fan

I can understand the reasoning behind people comparing the two. But for me, even though some of the characterizations have a broad resemblance to each other, for me, The L Word is fundamentally different. The backbone of the show is the emotion these women are feeling. Whereas on QaF, it seems that the outside world is more focused upon, and how it affects their little community of gay life in Pittsburg. Maybe it's the actual settings of the shows that make them different for me. [img]smilies/look.gif[/img]

"Naya's my girl." - Heather Morris

|| Naya Rivera and Heather Morris Board Campaigns||Live Journal||Tumblr||
Old 04-12-2004, 03:50 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by DaWsonSReaLJoEy:
<STRONG>I definitely see similar themes between the show's but I wouldn't go as far as saying it's "The Lesbian QAF" cuz I really don't think it's that close in comparison. Some of the core character basis do have a QAF vibe (like Shane of course who is Brian Kinney without the bracelet or d*ck [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] ) But TLW is more into creating the storyline then just the sexline...ya know?

[ 04-11-2004: Message edited DaWsonSReaLJoEy ]</STRONG>
[img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] yeah! sexline!!! [img]smilies/rotfl.gif[/img]
Old 04-12-2004, 08:11 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by cleis666:
<STRONG>

[img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] yeah! sexline!!! [img]smilies/rotfl.gif[/img]</STRONG>
And I totally thought of that off the top of my head, weird huh? [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

The L Word sortof went for it with the sexline in the finale, but still, more story then sexline...ok...i need to stop saying sexline....i'm starting to like my new word a little TOO MUCH [img]smilies/devil.gif[/img]

Old 04-12-2004, 10:23 AM
Elite Fan

[img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] yeah I'm starting to like the word a lot too! Maybe a little too much than I should. [img]smilies/goof.gif[/img] [img]smilies/blush.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-12-2004, 11:25 PM
Dedicated Fan

I dont think so. Sure they deal with Homosexual issues but different plots different people and different issues are dealt with.
Old 04-15-2004, 03:59 AM
Supreme Fan

i think it's totally different. the sex part probably is the same but the rest - i don't think so. they tried to make shane the new brian kinney (guess that explains why she's my fave character) but the only thing shane & brian have in common is the sexlife, really. emotionally, they're totally different.
there's no justin, no ted, no michael, no emmett. i really don't see any similarities except for the graphic sex scenes.
the dynamic of this show is totally different from qaf.