Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 03-01-2004, 11:44 PM
Elite Fan

A Perfect Murder - More like a Perfect Disappearing Act!

Well, seeing how the thread disappeared, I thought I would start up a new one. Continue the discussion. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Emilie /My LJ

Icon by MaybeLove
Old 03-01-2004, 11:56 PM
Fan Forum Hero

This movie makes me want to have lots of paints, Viggo in a room and a hidden key. Think of all the fun that could ensue.

I really love this particular performance because it’s complex. In the original Dial M for Murder I didn’t feel like the lover really had much of a bond to the girl. Though the money and the prospect corrupted his character, I really felt like he had an invested interest in her, so it made the betrayal even more audacious. Besides, I get to look at his lovely artwork. That’s well worth it.

[img]smilies/rose.gif[/img]
Mandy
Old 03-02-2004, 11:28 AM
Loyal Fan

Jazz, thanks for resurrecting the thread! I meant to do it yesterday. And nice thread title too. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

I love Viggo in this movie. He's sexy, mysterious, and has that slight artist's ego that somehow still manages to be attractive. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Not as hot as in LOTR, but damn close. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-02-2004, 02:02 PM
Passionate Fan

Love the title Jazz. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Of course he looked better in lotr Jess [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] The regal but grimy look just goes better with him. But his sexy, longhaired, unshaven look he sports in A Perfect Murder is a close second to me. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ 03-02-2004: Message edited *Winter* ]
Old 03-02-2004, 08:31 PM
Master Fan

I was going to say something about APM. What was it?

Oh!

This movie made me despise Michael Douglas. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] Because of him stabbing Viggo at the end of the movie. And then just leaving him there to die! [img]smilies/bawl.gif[/img] It was heart-breaking. I just...I almost cried. Haha. I felt the tears swelling in my eyes, but none fell. But the sentiment was there!

Wonderful movie, indeed!

And I love the title, Jazz [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

icon credit: spikesbint on LJ
Old 03-02-2004, 09:22 PM
Fan Forum Hero

[img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] I'm not a big fan of MD either, so I'm with you on how easy it was to root for Viggo. He's got such intensity, much like how I would think that his artistic persona really is.

[img]smilies/rose.gif[/img]
Mandy
Old 03-03-2004, 12:49 AM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by KervyQT16:
<STRONG>This movie makes me want to have lots of paints, Viggo in a room and a hidden key. Think of all the fun that could ensue.</STRONG>
Oh my. [img]smilies/thud.gif[/img]

Quote:
<STRONG>
I really love this particular performance because it’s complex. In the original Dial M for Murder I didn’t feel like the lover really had much of a bond to the girl. Though the money and the prospect corrupted his character, I really felt like he had an invested interest in her, so it made the betrayal even more audacious.</STRONG>
I haven't seen Dial M For Murder but I'd like to, just so I can compare the 2 versions. I agree with you though that he really did seem to have feelings for her in APM. He tried to play it cool, but really, I reckon he had feelings for her. He would have gone to kill her himself if he didn't give a damn about her.

Quote:
<STRONG>
Besides, I get to look at his lovely artwork. That’s well worth it.</STRONG>
Most definitely. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I got my copy of Recent Forgeries just before I saw APM last, and I was getting all excited because some of the paintings in the movie were the same as in my new book. Doesn't take much to amuse me, evidently. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

I've never been a huge MD fan either. And honestly, when you've got a choice between crusty old MD or Viggo, who are you gonna choose? Talk about a no brainer.
Old 03-03-2004, 10:14 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Phee:
<STRONG>Most definitely. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I got my copy of Recent Forgeries just before I saw APM last, and I was getting all excited because some of the paintings in the movie were the same as in my new book. Doesn't take much to amuse me, evidently. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]</STRONG>
That's okay, haha. It doesn't take much to amuse me, either. But I mean...just saying the name Viggo makes my panties burst into flames. So, yeah. Um. [img]smilies/look.gif[/img]

icon credit: spikesbint on LJ
Old 03-16-2004, 02:40 PM
Elite Fan

The TV stations must have been running a Viggo marathon cause for awhile there, they were showing all these movies with him in it! [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] Not complaining at all. It gave me a chance to finally watch this movie. When I was watching the beginning I was pointing out all the paintings. Most were in the book I have of his.

The Viggo character ending in this movie was a little disappointing to me. I didn't expect a sappy ending or anything but it seemed very abrupt. He obviously felt bad for his part but it was never really clear how he actually felt about Gwyn's character. But Viggo did a great job and that's what counts. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-18-2004, 01:16 AM
Elite Fan

We were having that discussion before, how we didn't know how his character felt about the girl. It was abit disappointing.

Which book has the paintings Lady_Lee? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Emilie /My LJ

Icon by MaybeLove
Old 01-26-2005, 06:39 AM
Elite Fan

I finally rented and watched A Perfect Murder again since it was a very long time ago since I saw it and I wanted to refresh my memory for this.

I recognized the paintings this time around from the book "Recent Forgeries" and the cover of that book was one of the paintings as well. Though I'm curious if the last painting he was throwing paint at of Emily was actually one of his or something they made for him to throw paint on.

Emilie /My LJ

Icon by MaybeLove
Old 01-26-2005, 05:10 PM
Elite Fan

I bought this movie on DVD. Viggo playing against Michael Douglas was excitment.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:45 PM
Elite Fan

Yeah, I agree, Michael Douglas and Viggo Mortensen going head to head was quite exciting. I expected more nudity out of Michael Douglas though, you know how he is.

Emilie /My LJ

Icon by MaybeLove
Old 02-02-2005, 03:52 PM
Elite Fan

Michael Douglas is the king of really naked sex scenes Well, was.

What do you guys think of this?

Quote:
Cable movies make out men as dangerous
By Mark Harrison
The Times-Journal

Published February 01, 2005

Are all men secretly murderous monsters deep down?

Most likely not – but anyone who spends any time watching Lifetime channel movies could get that idea.

Oh sure, I know. Lifetime bills itself as “television for women,” but all guys have gotten sucked into watching it by girlfriends, wives, sisters, mothers and female friends.

For guys who spend any time where there’s a mixture of women and cable television, Lifetime viewing ranks third on the list of (no pun intended) life’s inevitabilities – right after death and taxes.

And in fairness, more often than not, the movies on Lifetime are pretty good – even though the male characters invariably bear a closer resemblance to Snidely Whiplash than Dudley Do-Right.

This weekend, I got sucked into a bit of Lifetime-viewing myself – watching “A Perfect Murder” with my girlfriend.

It wasn’t a Lifetime produced movie, but rather a televised repeat of a 1998 theatrical release. Still, it was on the Lifetime channel. And it’s definitely one of those movies that make men out to look like devious, monstrous creeps.

Rich guy Michael Douglas is married to rich woman Gwyneth Paltrow. Douglas has made some bad business deals and is on the verge of losing it all. Paltrow, meanwhile, is having an affair with struggling artist Viggo Mortensen who, unknown to her, is actually a very unkingly con man. Douglas knows what’s going on and hires Mortensen to murder his wife, in order to exact revenge and collect Paltrow’s fortune. They concoct a plan to commit “the perfect murder,” but, as you might expect, things go horribly wrong for the bad guys.

The movie tends to stretch logic quite a bit. It would have been so much easier if Douglas had just gone to his wife, told her he knew about the affair, knew Mortensen was actually a con man and simply asked her for a loan, and possibly a divorce. But then, everything would wrap up in about 10 minutes – eliminating the need for two hours of twists and turns.

If the plot sounds familiar, it should. “A Perfect Murder” is a loose remake of Alfred Hitchcock’s classic “Dial M For Murder,” itself based on a popular 1950s stage play.

So I suppose it’s unfair to blame Lifetime for perpetuating the “man as monster” myth – after all, Hollywood has been doing it for more than 40 years. And it does make for some good movies. Pass the popcorn, please.
Lifetime movies do tend to stereotype men into villains and un emotional people. But... A Perfect Murder is not that black and white. i

-The leading woman is cheating on her husband.
-The artist with whom she cheats with actually love her and that is his ultimate motive to go on with the plan.
-Michael Douglas is the cold hearted villain who doesn't even gets his hands dirty even if it means playing dirty.

Everyone has a sin, and that propels the whole plot.

Anyway. "Chick flicks" have bad husbands and lovers, but "guy flicks" have all this women who throw themselves at men and are easy, etc. So he should call it a draw.

I don't agree with EITHER formula but I wouldn't accuse a "genre" without accusing the other.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:01 PM
Elite Fan

That's hysterical, Lifetime being the channel for women and shows this movie. Shows how much society has changed. We want to view the men as enemies but we don't look at the sins we commit sometimes.

Emilie /My LJ

Icon by MaybeLove