Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 02-23-2004, 06:30 PM
Addicted Fan

News & Appearances

I may be mistaken, but I didn't see a thread for this and as I came here with a particular purpose (see below) I started it. Hope I'm not stepping on any toes!

*ahem* Viggo will be on The Late Show w/ David Letterman on Thursday, March 4th. Now, this is subject to change, as you can see it isn't yet posted on the website, but my sources indicate he'll be there... [img]smilies/glow.gif[/img]

the artist formerly known as [stardevi]
Old 02-23-2004, 08:11 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks for the heads up on the David Letterman appearance. I definitely can't wait to see that since he doesn't do interviews all that often.

I am hoping the stuff that we taped from him (he came here and was interviewed by my station - lucky me, I got to mike that man up!) will be airing this week or next week since Hidalgo is coming out! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Emilie /My LJ

Icon by MaybeLove
Old 02-27-2004, 01:11 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Jazz:
<STRONG>I am hoping the stuff that we taped from him (he came here and was interviewed by my station - lucky me, I got to mike that man up!) will be airing this week or next week since Hidalgo is coming out! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]</STRONG>
*gasp* Jazz, are you kidding me? You're in Canada, right? What station? Wow! I'm so jealous! I heard he was T.O. and intended to stalk him but these things always fall through... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

the artist formerly known as [stardevi]
Old 02-27-2004, 10:15 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by stardevi:
<STRONG>

*gasp* Jazz, are you kidding me? You're in Canada, right? What station? Wow! I'm so jealous! I heard he was T.O. and intended to stalk him but these things always fall through... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]</STRONG>
It was for Rogers but it may not show up on Rogers, sometimes clips end up on the other stations. We do work for other stations as well. I'm guessing it may up on Reel to Real.

Emilie /My LJ

Icon by MaybeLove
Old 02-28-2004, 10:43 AM
Elite Fan

Viggo will be on Regis and Kelly on March 5th. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Emilie /My LJ

Icon by MaybeLove
Old 02-28-2004, 12:18 PM
Passionate Fan

Are you serious? He'll be on Regis and Kelly? My friend and I always planned that when him or Orlando Bloom are going to go there, we would go and see if we can meet them. I'll have to call my friend up because she knows of a place where you can meet the guests without all the other fans. I'm hoping that I can go, but i'm not sure yet.
Old 02-28-2004, 06:53 PM
Elite Fan

That's what I heard, he's going to be on R&K

Also, he's on the cover of American Cowboy. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Emilie /My LJ

Icon by MaybeLove
Old 03-01-2004, 11:48 PM
Elite Fan

Am I the only one who has Viggo news??? [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

He suppose to be on E! tomorrow. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Emilie /My LJ

Icon by MaybeLove
Old 03-02-2004, 12:05 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I am so jazzed up about this. I will definitely watch David Lettermen, but I kind of wish he’d go on Jay Leno because I could go to that taping. *heaves a big sigh* Anywho, no classes on Friday so Regis & Kelly for me, and Viggo! Tee hee! Whoo pee!

[img]smilies/rose.gif[/img]
Mandy
Old 03-02-2004, 12:19 AM
Elite Fan

Thank god someone is coming here for the news. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] I got friends at the premiere of Hidalgo tonight. They are special guests and will be partying with Viggo. I am still waiting for reports!

Emilie /My LJ

Icon by MaybeLove
Old 03-02-2004, 01:14 AM
Obsessed Fan

Thanks for the news on Letterman and R&K. I will definitely be watching to get my Viggo fix for the day. [img]smilies/love.gif[/img]

Less than a week until Hidalgo! [img]smilies/blinkie.gif[/img]

Jen | tumblr
Old 03-02-2004, 01:25 AM
Passionate Fan

Apparently Viggo came riding in on Hidalgo!

Sawyer/Sun | Jack/Sun | Fearless Soul | Seeker |
Old 03-02-2004, 07:41 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Eowyn_Evenstar:
<STRONG>Apparently Viggo came riding in on Hidalgo!</STRONG>
Yep, he came out with his horse, TJ (who plays Hidalgo). I'm still waiting for pictures from a friend of mine. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Emilie /My LJ

Icon by MaybeLove
Old 03-03-2004, 02:27 PM
Elite Fan

I posted the pictures of the Hidalgo premiere at the Hidalgo thread if interested. Viggo will be on Good Morning America tomorrow. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Emilie /My LJ

Icon by MaybeLove
Old 03-04-2004, 06:13 AM
Passionate Fan

I saw this interview on Entertainment Weekly. I would've added the link but it doesn't show up for people who don't have AOL.

Horse Sense
Viggo on buying horses and his relative, Buffalo Bill. The ''Hidalgo'' star talks about ''big, fat head'' movies and why he owns a few of his costars (literally) by Liane Bonin

THE BIG RACE Mortensen's name comes before the title -- a first for the ''Rings'' star

King Aragorn is ditching his crown, but he ain't giving up his trusty steed. ''Lord of the Rings'' star Viggo Mortensen is following up the swashbuckling horseback trilogy with yet another sword and pony show. ''Hidalgo,'' (in theaters March 5) is based on the true story of endurance horse rider Frank T. Hopkins and moves the 45-year-old actor into the 19th century, but there's plenty to remind fans of his adventures in Middle-earth. EW.com talked to Mortensen about his equine attachments, tackling touchy issues in his new film, and why he isn't the ''big, fat head'' you've seen on the movie poster.

Are you only doing horse-riding epics from now on? We're starting to wonder.
I've done lots of different kinds of movies. Remember, I've been around for a long time. It is true that, as different as ''Lord of the Rings'' and ''Hidalgo'' are, these are hero's journeys. But I also like small movies. One of the best movies I saw last year was ''Whale Rider.'' That's a heroic journey as well, but it's much more intimate.

Why follow up ''Lord of the Rings'' with a movie that has such similar elements?
When I first read ''Hidalgo,'' I thought it was a really interesting story. I'd never heard of this guy, but there were a lot of things in the script I knew about, like horses and Native American culture and Buffalo Bill. I'm related to him through my mom's side of the family, and I had heard stories about him through my family when I was a kid. But more than that I really like this period in history, when America looked beyond its borders to find its place in the world.

Are you feeling the pressure of having your name above the title on this film?
It's not above the title on the screen, which is where it counts. I personally don't think the director or the actor should ever be above the title. I like that old-fashioned way of doing movies where it's the story that counts. But yeah, the poster has the big, fat head picture. But that's not how the movie was made. It's not like they had the big, fat head on set every day and wanted you to remember, ''this is the big, fat head movie!'' I don't feel pressure, so maybe I'm in some sort of denial.

This film deals with two groups that Hollywood hasn't always handled well: Native Americans and Arabs. How do you feel about the way the filmmakers addressed them?
It's one of those rare things when a Hollywood movie doesn't have anything to be ashamed of or inadvertently offend or trample on those cultures. It was great that [director] Joe Johnston (''October Sky'') and Disney made the effort to go to South Dakota and [film] the massacre of Wounded Knee with people who were actually descendents of the people who were either killed or survived. They got special permission and did everything right, even having a ceremony where some dirt from the real Wounded Knee site was spread around. The filmmakers make a good effort to reach out, especially to the Native American and Muslim press. They're conditioned to wonder, ''What horrible thing did Hollywood do this time?'' But many of them said they were pleasantly surprised and would recommend it to friends.

You bought some of the horses you worked with on ''Lord of the Rings.'' Did you snap up Hidalgo, too?
Yes, I did buy the horse. I thought about buying him all during the shoot. I asked Rex Peterson, who owned him and who had found him, and he said, ''You can have first dibs on him,'' and I know he was happy for me to have him. It wasn't a question of possessing the horse, I just wanted to keep up the relationship with him. He's unusually intelligent, self-possessed, and calm for a stallion. He'd never been on a movie set, and for him to perform all those tricks and fall down and then stay down while there's camera crew around was incredible.

There's an election coming up, and you've been very outspoken against Bush's policies. Any thoughts?
I don't know if I'm more politically motivated than anyone else, but I have a resistance to just assuming that what I see on TV is the gospel truth. I like to find out as much as I can for myself. I do think that its an important election that has the usual trappings of one-liners and shallow politicking. It's a pivotal moment in history. I don't think you have to be of any particular political persuasion to see that the leadership of the United States has been instrumental in making a pretty big mess of a lot of things in a lot of ways. So I think change would be good. What that change should be I don't know.

You've played a king. How about a run for office?
S---, no. There's enough deceit and bluffing and media manipulation in the movie business. I don't need to add more.