Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 03-06-2009, 08:07 AM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Peachy. (View Post)
Just thinking a bit more clearly with the game threads. We can limit them to two say the ABC thread and maybe one other?
Sorry I didn't reply to this sooner -I just forgot in the excitement of a new thread

I hate to have to actually shut down game threads I think as long as everyone is aware that we need actual discussion going to keep the post count up rater than just raising posts using the game threads, it hopefully won't be a problem. Maybe if we see that the majority of posting is going into game threads, then we can decide whether to close some....how does that sound?

Icon by ~ Jis_Bon ~
Old 03-06-2009, 11:21 PM
Fan Forum Star

I think game threads are as much a part of any board as discussion, especially if they stay ontopic. Granted nobody wants to see a board with only game threads, but if theirs a nice mixture, game threads can be awesome.
Jensen&Jared
s o u l m a t e s
Old 03-07-2009, 08:12 PM
Passionate Fan

I agree with Gabriela, I think perhaps shutting down or limiting is a little unnecessary, however if people continue to post in them and don't post in discussions threads maybe that should be considered as an option. In said consideration, we would probably have to take into account that such an action would likely be very detrimental to our post counts.

So, I kind of have to disagree with CountryBumpkin, I don't see the game threads are a particularly important part of the board. They certainly should take second place to discussion threads. That doesn't mean they are worthless, just of less value to the board as discussion threads.

Maybe we could start some kind of JoA Board Posting Protocol where we try and state that the purpose of this board is to discuss the show and that we welcome all posts here, but encourage the main posting to take place in discussion threads and express that our aim in keeping this board is not merely to keep a place for game threads, but to continue fruitful discussion of the show.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:16 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for your input Anna

I'll see how we go with February's post count and then decide what to do.

It is hard, but I want to be realistic about this board and why it should be here.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:53 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
So, I kind of have to disagree with CountryBumpkin, I don't see the game threads are a particularly important part of the board. They certainly should take second place to discussion threads. That doesn't mean they are worthless, just of less value to the board as discussion threads.
Of course they should take second place to discussion threads. but game threads allow new posters to ease into a board and get their feet wet, They become more comfortable with the other posters and soon they're posting in more and more threads.
Jensen&Jared
s o u l m a t e s
Old 03-08-2009, 02:09 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~CountryBumpkin~ (View Post)
Of course they should take second place to discussion threads. but game threads allow new posters to ease into a board and get their feet wet, They become more comfortable with the other posters and soon they're posting in more and more threads.
I don't mean to be purposefully argumentative, but I don't think that's necessarily true, I can only speak for myself and what I have observed, and while I certainly haven't conducted a scientific study on the matter, but I don't find that to be the case at all.

When I go to a new board, I participate in the discussion threads that I have something to say on, or couples threads. Game threads are about the last type of threads I post in. I also haven't noticed any posters come here (I'm probably not in other boards enough to comment) and post in the game threads and then start participating in discussions. In fact, game threads by their nature often don't allow personal interaction between posters, whereas in discussion threads, posters address other posters all the time. It just seems like it'd be the opposite to me.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:55 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I've got the post counts for the last two weeks and we have fallen below the requirement. We've only made 123 posts in the last 2 weeks.

In regards to the games threads I understand where everyone is coming from. Games threads do have their advantages as it does encourage new posters or they can be a bit of fun away from discussion threads.

For Joan it can be challenging trying to have discussions and keep them going. I know and I can see that we are trying really hard to save this board.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:16 PM
Supreme Fan

I"m sorry we fell below It'll depend on the overall monthly count, though, to determine if the board stays open, right?

As far as the game threads, I think we are all actually saying about the same thing It seems like we're all saying game threads definitely have their place on the board but if the majority of posting is going into the gaming threads, then that's no reason to keep the JoA board open. I do feel like there has been more discussion going on as of late and I have loved it! I just don't want to see anybody coming here to keep the board open but only posting in gaming threads to keep the post count up....

Icon by ~ Jis_Bon ~

Last edited by Gabriela; 03-08-2009 at 05:21 PM
Old 03-08-2009, 05:21 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:

I've got the post counts for the last two weeks and we have fallen below the requirement. We've only made 123 posts in the last 2 weeks.

In regards to the games threads I understand where everyone is coming from. Games threads do have their advantages as it does encourage new posters or they can be a bit of fun away from discussion threads.

For Joan it can be challenging trying to have discussions and keep them going. I know and I can see that we are trying really hard to save this board.

123? That quite a bit below for 2 weeks. Is our monthly count for Feb gonna be enough?

I think like Gabriela said earlier on in this thread. As much I do want to keep this board going, if it's going to be by and for game threads, it's really a little bit pointless. I don't mean to sound defeatist, it's just I believe the majority of the posts need to be in the discussion threads otherwise I don't see the point in trying. But then I've never been one for Game threads, and that doesn't mean other people don't like them so. This is just my opinion on the point of the existence of the board.

I agree. The small number of regular posters does mean that everyone has to contribute a lot to discussions otherwise it all falls flat.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:49 PM
Fan Forum Hero

It is very low

I really want to see the February post count. I'm sure it'll be up as soon as the Administrators have a chance to do it.

I am lost for words with what else to say.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:51 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
It is very low

I really want to see the February post count. I'm sure it'll be up as soon as the Administrators have a chance to do it.

I am lost for words with what else to say.
I guess there's no point in continuing this conversation until we get the post count, anyway.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:38 PM
Fan Forum Star

We fell that far? Only 123 post for both weeks? or each week? I thought the board had been pretty busy the last couple of weeks.
Jensen&Jared
s o u l m a t e s
Old 03-08-2009, 10:53 PM
Fan Forum Hero

That was for both weeks. Last week it was really quiet in here, and it probably didn't help that I had the week off from work.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:03 PM
Fan Forum Star

Maybe Jerry will go easy on the boards, because FF had a lot of problems last week. *crosses fingers*....but one week as in Feb and one was in March so the board just might be ok. if the beginning of Feb was good, and we can keep steady for the rest of March.
Jensen&Jared
s o u l m a t e s
Old 03-08-2009, 11:06 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~CountryBumpkin~ (View Post)
Maybe Jerry will go easy on the boards, because FF had a lot of problems last week. *crosses fingers*....but one week as in Feb and one was in March so the board just might be ok. if the beginning of Feb was good, and we can keep steady for the rest of March.
That's what I'm hoping for. FF went down for me about 7 hours ago and then again an hour ago and I'm on a fast connection.

On a brighter note we've made it to 50K!! Slow and steady wins the race