Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 08-17-2004, 05:48 PM
Obsessed Fan

Is Jack Harper a "bad guy"?

I still maintain that Jack is neither good nor bad. He just IS.

Just because you don't like the rain, doesn't make it BAD. Unpopular perhaps, but just as necesary as the sunshine. That's the way I see the Tru / Jack dynamic. Tru's the sunshine (which is easy to love), while Jack's the rain (not well-liked, but just as important to the cycle of life).

What do you guys think?

--Mark Twain
Old 08-17-2004, 09:53 PM
New Fan

I think he is the bad guy. I mean the people wouldn't ask for help if they didn't want them to help right?
Old 08-18-2004, 01:31 AM
Total Fan

I think of him as a bad guy, but the show definitely needs him. It's sort of a love to hate him type thing for me. But I still get really mad when I think about the finale/Luc
Old 08-18-2004, 07:57 AM
Fan Forum Star

I don't think of him as evil at all. He's a man with a duty. Just because his calling is that of death, doesn't make him bad in my book.

Sasha
Old 08-19-2004, 06:59 AM
Elite Fan

I actually prefer the rain to the sunshine, all references aside, but that really is besides the point ...

Anyway.

Jack, alone, with his powers, is not a bad guy, persay. Jack, with his conscience decissions, makes him a bad guy. As in, the Jack that went out of his way to make sure Luc ended up in a place he wouldn't have even known existed were it not for him, was a bad guy. Not so much because his powers were bad, but because he took someone else's life in his own hands, and, in a sense, played "God."

My opinion probably makes little sense. The consequence for posting at 1 am.
When she finally said "yes, it's really goodbye this time."
Old 08-19-2004, 12:28 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by FAIT_Accompli
My opinion probably makes little sense. The consequence for posting at 1 am.
No, it made sense... I agree with it. I ain't going to attempt to explain what I think... cause I've been awake for like a million hours now.
If you love someone you gotta make a sound
HIMYM 10 YEARS
Old 08-19-2004, 09:51 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Not so much because his powers were bad, but because he took someone else's life in his own hands, and, in a sense, played "God."
You can say that Tru plays God herself when she takes people's lives into her own hands and lets them live. But I guess because Jack makes sure they die, he's the bad guy.

Sasha
Old 08-20-2004, 02:24 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by S.A.S.H.A.
You can say that Tru plays God herself when she takes people's lives into her own hands and lets them live. But I guess because Jack makes sure they die, he's the bad guy.

Sasha
I think it more has to do with the fact that Jack threw an innocent person into the equation.

And why I used the word "equation" is beyond me, but yeah ... anyway.

Luc wasn't supposed to be there. He never would have been there had it not been for Jack. He never even would have known those people existed. He died and there was no reason for him to die, as he wouldn't have died had he been left alone, regardless if the day reround or not. Because he simply wasn't involved until Jack took it upon himself to involve him.
Old 08-20-2004, 10:13 AM
Fan Forum Star

I still think Luc was supposed to die. If not, he would have asked Tru to save him. So I think Jack did his job by making sure that the right person died, even though that may make him seem like the bad guy.

Sasha
Old 09-03-2004, 06:36 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Jack, alone, with his powers, is not a bad guy, persay. Jack, with his conscience decissions, makes him a bad guy. As in, the Jack that went out of his way to make sure Luc ended up in a place he wouldn't have even known existed were it not for him, was a bad guy. Not so much because his powers were bad, but because he took someone else's life in his own hands, and, in a sense, played "God."
Good explanation...I agree.

Quote:
I still think Luc was supposed to die. If not, he would have asked Tru to save him. So I think Jack did his job by making sure that the right person died, even though that may make him seem like the bad guy.
That's a very good point too.

I can't really say yet if he's that evil,but I certainly don't see him as THE bad guy of the show.He's just ambiguous
Old 09-04-2004, 05:58 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by S.A.S.H.A.

Sasha
Hmmmmm.

Good point.

And I hate admitting when there's a chance that I could have been wrong.

I still don't think he would have been there had it not been for Jack's intervention. It's too bad we can't go back though and find out how events would have been different were situations handled differently.
Old 09-04-2004, 11:19 PM
Jay
Master Fan

this character is quite intruging to watch...he's always have something up his sleeves but i don't see him as a bad guy...i just see him as a guy who thinks he's doing the right thing but deep inside..he's lost between what's right and wrong.

see the way i see it...unlike Tru...Jack doesn't see his gift as a "gift"..he sees it as a curse. i think....

but he's cool to watch and i hope to see more of him in season 2...
Old 09-06-2004, 08:15 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay_10
see the way i see it...unlike Tru...Jack doesn't see his gift as a "gift"..he sees it as a curse. i think....

I definitely see that.

I remember he once referred to his accident in an almost ... melancholy tone. Like he wished he had died ...

... so maybe he just feels like he's doing some of these people a favor.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:32 AM
New Fan

If the situation involving Tru providing indivduals with another run at life and Jack countervailing that is processed without emotional values (just go with me on this and set aside the notion that it's not possible), it is simply a matter of establishing a balanced foundation. On the grand scheme of things, Luc's death is just a compensation for another person receiving the chance to live. The only reason anyone is saddened by his death is that the writers cornered you into it. No one is tearing over that dead fireman and he died for the same cause.

Consider it without the context, I suppose is what I'm saying. With that in mind, Tru and Jack aren't "good" nor "bad." Without the stigma of life and death, both are simply serving their duty for some powers that be.

Intriguing topic, by the way.
Old 09-07-2004, 03:37 AM
Elite Fan

The TINY child is stalking me now!

I still stand by my belief that their "powers" make them neither good nor bad.

It's only when they interveine themselves that their acts are "good" or "bad."

Someone had to die so someone else could live? Did it haveto be Luc? Could it have been someone else? We'll never know, because Jack didn't let the events pan out in a natural manner (not that Tru did either).