Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 12-01-2004, 12:08 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I just want the last two episodes

I was going to get the DVDs but I might hold. As I'm not sure whether I'd watch all the eps again
Old 12-02-2004, 04:46 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by Just Peachy.
As I'm not sure whether I'd watch all the eps again
That's my reason too
Old 12-02-2004, 06:13 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by -Kelly-
That's my reason too
With Tru Calling, there's only a handful of eps that I could re-watch the rest having been a bit for me. Still at Ch7 as I really wanted to see Nick Wechsler.
Old 12-05-2004, 10:56 PM
Extreme Fan

I miss Tru Calling , although I am really liking Arrested Development , it's not the same. But I don't think I'll be getting the DVD's for a while. I've already got all the episodes screened on tape anyway.
Old 12-05-2004, 11:05 PM
Master Fan

I wish I had taped them as I have ordered the Las Vegas box set on dvd so I will have to wait awhile now.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:41 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Tru Calling DVD Review from TVShowsonDVD

Quote:
Tru Calling - Season 1 Review

Buy from Amazon.com (US)
Buy from Amazon.ca (CAN)
Buy from DVDEmpire.com (US)
Buy from DVDPlanet.com (US)

Rating
Video: 9/10
Audio: 8/10
Extras: 5/10

Well, I saw that coming!
by Gord Lacey (All reviews) 12/07/2004

Tru Davies has a gift; she helps people that need her. That doesn't sound like much, except the people she helps are dead. When her internship at a hospital falls through she takes a job at the morgue, and it's there that she first hears the words, "help me" from a corpse. She's flung back in time to the last time she work up, reliving the days events and trying to stop the death of someone that wasn't meant to die. Few people know her secret; her brother Harrison, and Davis, her boss.

The show borrows a lot from Early Edition (man gets tomorrow's newspaper today and stops a disaster), The Dead Zone (man can see future events and alters them), and probably countless other shows dealing with people helping others under odd circumstances. The show tries to be clever by throwing in twists, but they're so obvious that I had them figured out episodes before the "big reveal" (a few slipped by me). It's not a show that's very unique, and the writing isn't the greatest. While the show was picked up for season 2, Fox cut the order to just 6 episodes, none of which have aired.

Fox has packaged the entire first season of the series in this 6 disc set which comes 2 discs per slim case. This is the first Fox set I've seen use this packaging, and I like it.

Video

This is one of the new breed of shows that have been broadcast in two aspect ratios; 1.33:1 on a regular broadcast, and 1.78:1 for an HD broadcast. Fox has opted to include an anamorphic 1.78:1 version of the DVDs, and it looks very nice. There are hardly any dust specs, and there aren't any major flaws in the picture. Grain is hardly existent, and the black levels look nice. Each disc contains a "play all," something Fox has only recently added to their dramas. Unfortunately a handful of episodes have the first chapter placed part way into the episode, while the majority are set properly. That's a sloppy job by Fox, and I'm a bit surprised since they're usually so good at catching the small things like this.

Audio

A fairly good Dolby Surround audio track accompanies this release. The show makes good use of directional panning effects when cars drive by, or voices are heard offscreen, and the rear speakers are used for ambient effects. The show sounds very good, though I can't think of any outstanding moments that blew me away. Subtitles are provided in English, French and Spanish.

Extras - How we rate extras

Commentary Tracks
Fairly decent tracks for the episodes.
Pilot - Jon Harmon Feldman, Dawn Parouse, Eliza Dushku and Shaun Reaves
Star Crossed - Jon Harmon Feldman
The Longest Day - Jon Harmon Feldman, Dawn Parouse, Eliza Dushku and Shaun Reaves
Daddy's Girl - Jon Harmon Feldman, Eliza Dushku and Zach Galifianakis
Two Pair - Jon Harmon Feldman and Jason Priestley
Two Weddings and a Funeral - Jon Harmon Feldman, Eliza Dushku and Zach Galifianakis

Finding the Calling: The Pilot (10:52)
Jon Harmon Feldman (creator/executive producer), Dawn Parouse (executive producer), Eliza Dushku (Tru Davies), Zach Galfianakis (Davis) and Shawn Reaves (Harrison Davies) talk about the pilot, and the other actors.

The Tru Path: Season One (8:01)
The cast and crew talk about the first season of the show.

Evil Comes Calling: A Late Season Twist (7:25)
I wouldn't call it a "twist" but the featurette looks at the change in the season. Features an interview with Jason Priestley.

Music Video: "Somebody Help Me" by Full Blown Rose (2:59)
A music video for the theme song from the show, featuring clips from the series.

Arrested Development Promo: "Blind" (0:32)
A promo for one of the funniest shows on TV.

Deleted Scenes (19:29)
There are deleted scenes for about half of the episodes in the set. Access them from the episode menu, and play the scene with optional commentary.

Summary

I'm impressed that Fox can put together good DVD sets for shows that may not be the best on the air. I didn't hate this show, but I found it was way too easy to get ahead of the story, so when something was revealed I was patting myself on the back instead of being surprised. Actually, I think the predictability of the show was the only thing that kept me watching; I needed to make sure my theories were right, so I kept watching. A friend told me that the writing on the show was horrible, but I was only 3 or 4 episodes into it, and I didn't think it was that bad, but it definitely got worse as the episodes went on. I'm not surprised the show was cancelled, but I hope those final few episodes make it to DVD so fans of the series can see them.
Old 12-11-2004, 11:01 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for that Bella.
Old 12-11-2004, 01:39 PM
Fan Forum Hero

No worries

I think reading that review, really sums up Tru Calling. I'm glad I didn't get it.

I still want to see the last 2 eps though Ch7, do you hear me
Old 12-12-2004, 12:55 AM
Fan Forum Hero

We will get them
Old 12-12-2004, 11:18 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
We will get them
Yeah eventually
Old 12-13-2004, 04:42 AM
Master Fan

Thanks Bella!
Old 12-16-2004, 09:28 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by CharmedRulz
Try cheaking out www.dvdsoon.com they're a lot cheaper than Amazon.
I live in Australia and it'd cost me (AU)$71.70 + shipping to get in from amazon, and only (AU)$56.84 all up from dvdsoon...

just a thought

I can't wait for the dvds! i bought Wrong turn the other day just cos I wanted to hear what Eliza said in the commentary...
Anyone else buy with dvdsoon.com?

edited - I joined the site. It does seem cheaper with some things, I would look at the dvd cost and shipping stuff from amazon first, then see the dvdsoon.com's site.
Shipping seems alot less with dvdsoon.com as I looked
I have all Anne movies in my cart
Also Canada money to Australian money is better than the American as I looked too.

Last edited by -Kelly-; 12-16-2004 at 11:27 AM
Old 12-19-2004, 12:51 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by Aussie Gal
Thanks Bella!
Your welcome

Quote:
Anyone else buy with dvdsoon.com?

edited - I joined the site. It does seem cheaper with some things, I would look at the dvd cost and shipping stuff from amazon first, then see the dvdsoon.com's site.
Shipping seems alot less with dvdsoon.com as I looked
I have all Anne movies in my cart
Also Canada money to Australian money is better than the American as I looked too.
I'm going to check that site out too
Old 12-22-2004, 03:35 AM
Passionate Fan

hi guys

i haven't been around the Tru Calling area lately, been slack.
Old 12-23-2004, 05:19 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by Just Peachy.
Your welcome

I'm going to check that site out too
I have 3 movies in dvdsoon and the 3 anne dvds is alot cheaper than American's Amazon