Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2015, 09:11 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks for the new goodies!
and when we get together
the summer never ends...
Old 12-22-2015, 12:08 PM
Master Fan

I watched this show and liked most of the episodes. I'll try it again in season 2.
Old 12-26-2015, 02:08 PM
MST Manager

Good to hear, Janice.
Old 01-11-2016, 12:25 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Congrats to the fans of the show.

‘Mr. Robot’: Golden Globes Winners on the USA Show | Variety
Quote:
Christian Slater Calls Rami Malek His ‘Greatest Acting Partner’ After ‘Mr. Robot’ Golden Globes Win

“Mr. Robot” was the cult TV show that refused to follow the rules.

Sam Esmail, creator of the surrealistic USA Network drama about a troubled computer hacker, never envisioned “Mr. Robot” as the pop culture sensation that it became in its initial airing last summer. Nor did he ever expect to be a greeter of a roomful of reporters asking him what it felt like to win a best drama series trophy at the Golden Globes.

“My biggest expectation for the show was that it would be a cult hit with a good small fan base that would keep us on the air for a long enough time for me to finish the whole series,” Esmail said backstage at the ceremony. “This is totally surreal and unexpected and I can’t even process it.”

The Globes win adds to the rags-to-riches trajectory for USA Network and “Mr. Robot” studio Universal Cable Productions. The NBCUniversal cabler has tried for the past few years to expand its palette of series beyond the blue-sky action dramas. “Mr. Robot” amounted to a 180-degree turn, the kind of show that inspired binge viewing and online fandemonium.

Christian Slater won the supporting drama actor award for his work as a very unusual character who is (SPOILER ALERT) the father of series star Rami Malek. Slater is a film and TV vet who had a run of short-lived and little-watched series for a decade before catching the “Mr. Robot” train. That makes the win particularly meaningful to Slater (although he was quick to note that he had satisfying creative experiences on some of those flops as well).

“I’m phenomenally grateful to Rami Malek – the greatest acting partner I’ve ever had in my life,” he said of his young co-star.

“Mr. Robot” resonated because the subject matter fortuitously was thrust into the national conversation just as the show was hitting the airwaves — and the SXSW Film Festival before that. Slater cited the November 2014 hack of Sony Pictures as a prime example.

“When we were making the series… things were happening that mirrored what we were doing on the day we were shooting. As it’s gone along, my level of awareness has risen,” he said. “It’s very smart to change your password as often as possible.”

Later, when the full “Mr. Robot” team came backstage after the drama series win, the troupe engaged in a comedy routine about how most people have passwords that are easy to guess.

“I’m sure most of you have terrible passwords,” Esmail said to the journos in the room. Malek shot back to his boss: “Yours is pretty bad.”
Old 01-18-2016, 04:56 PM
Master Fan

I was really excited for the show at the Golden Globes, and even moreso at the Critic's Choice Awards, where Rami won as well.

Mr. Robot creator: You don't know the FIRST season's secrets yet | EW.com
Quote:
Reporters were really trying to get the creator of USA’s Mr. Robot to give some sense of his season 2 plan.

He largely resisted our efforts, but oferred a little bit.

Appearing at the Television Critics Association’s press tour in Pasadena on Thursday, Mr. Robot showrunner Sam Esmail and the show’s cast took questions about the ultra-acclaimed Golden Globe-winning USA Network drama.

Esmail said season 2 will focus on Elliott (Rami Malek) trying to navigate his life now that he knows — spoiler alert — that Mr. Robot (Christian Slater) isn’t real. “There will be a lot more backstory that will be shown, the timeline will get a little clearer — not 100 percent clear, because where’s the fun in that? But a little clearer … It really is about Elliott trying to reconcile what this means in seeing Mr. Robot. The series is filling in the blanks of the past and the present of this character … It’s about a guy who becomes aware of this delusion he’s been having.”

And will there be more big twists? “Probably,” said Esmail, who is set to direct all 10 episodes of season 2. If I were a betting man, I would say yes.” The showrunner also did research with economic experts to figure out how to portray what would the real-world implications of a hacker organization taking down the world’s biggest company.

Slater, who joked his new computer password is now “GoldenGlobe” after his win on Sunday night, said he figured out the first season’s big twist after reading the pilot script. “I thought this is very interesting, and it’s certainly a subject matter that I hadn’t really seen tackled in this way before, and I thought the Mr. Robot character was very mysterious. I remember I said to my agent, ‘You think that guy’s really there?’ and my agent’s like, ‘Oh come on, they’d never do that!’ So then I had a meeting with Sam — the first meeting we ever had — and I asked him point blank. And then he told me pretty much the whole outline of the season and I was so thrilled and so excited and I think it put us on the same page.”

We also asked Esmail if he worries that Slater’s character, having been revealed as Elliott’s fantasy figure, has now served his purpose and that Elliot needs to rid himself of that mental crutch in order to keep the show’s story progressing. “No, I actually think this is the fun part,” he said. “When I first wrote this as a feature [film, the Mr. Robot revelation] happened at the first act break. What the movie was about, was what if a guy discovers this thing about himself, what’s the next thing he does? That, to me, is the interesting part.”

One thing Esmail wouldn’t say anything about at all was the fate of murderous Ecorp executive Tyrell Wellick, and actor Martin Wallström wasn’t on the panel.

But perhaps the most intriguing nugget wasn’t about season 2 at all. Esmail was asked if there’s a reason why Darlene (Carley Chaikin) is not in the Times Square scene when Elliott has a vision of his family. Esmail said there was. Then he was asked, “Is there anything else that we should be looking into season 1 that wasn’t real?”

Esmail: “Yes.”

Malek then asked Esmail: “Do I know? [Does the cast] know?”

Esmail: “No.”

Slater: “Cool!”
Old 01-19-2016, 01:56 PM
MST Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGal (View Post)
Thanks.
Old 01-19-2016, 02:36 PM
Total Fan

Oh wow! I did not know Mr. Robot had any threads on Fan Forum! Is it just this one? This show blew my mind last summer and I cannot wait for it to get going again.

I need to know more about Tyrell Wellick. His character was one of the weirdest things I have ever seen on tv and now I'm wondering all this stuff. Obviously, he might be dead. But is he like Mr. Robot and is actually another manifestation of Elliott's imagination? What was going on in that scene where Mr. Robot and Wellick have that conspiratorial conversation in the car?

And of course, everything at the end of the S1 finale with White Rose is so exciting. I can't. I need to watch it now.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:36 AM
Elite Fan

This show is fantastic! I just started watching it!!!

~ Pari ~ addicted to brainies Icon by me
Old 02-04-2016, 04:39 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop (View Post)
Oh wow! I did not know Mr. Robot had any threads on Fan Forum! Is it just this one? This show blew my mind last summer and I cannot wait for it to get going again.

I need to know more about Tyrell Wellick. His character was one of the weirdest things I have ever seen on tv and now I'm wondering all this stuff. Obviously, he might be dead. But is he like Mr. Robot and is actually another manifestation of Elliott's imagination? What was going on in that scene where Mr. Robot and Wellick have that conspiratorial conversation in the car?

And of course, everything at the end of the S1 finale with White Rose is so exciting. I can't. I need to watch it now.
Lots of people think that Tyrell is also one of Elliot's personnalities. It worked with his father/Mr Robot but with Tyrell it would be overkill.

So i think/hope there is another reason for his disappearance.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:40 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop (View Post)

Lots of peo
Old 05-22-2016, 10:59 PM
Fan Forum Hero

'Mr. Robot' Cast on Using Wikipedia to Catch Up on Season 1, What to Expect From Season 2 - Hollywood Reporter
Quote:
'Mr. Robot' Cast on Using Wikipedia to Catch Up on Season 1, What to Expect From Season 2

Rami Malek, Christian Slater, Portia Doubleday and Carly Chaikin discussed the show's twists and turns, working with creator and EP Sam Esmail and more at a Vulture Festival panel.
When the cast of Mr. Robot first started filming the show, even they were a little confused about their characters and the storylines. The USA Network series has about as many twists and turns as a Coney Island coaster, and the cast can relate to how fans felt watching the show.

“How many times in the beginning last season would we be like, ‘What? This doesn’t make sense!’” said Carly Chaikin, who along with co-stars Rami Malek, Portia Doubleday and Christian Slater spoke at the Vulture Festival in New York City on May 21 in a panel moderated by Vulture associate editor Abraham Riesman.

But Chaikin, who plays Darlene, credits the show’s creator and executive producer Sam Esmail with keeping everyone on track. “He knew everything,” she said.

But when the cast returned for season two, which premieres July 13, some of the actors had to do research to remember what happened during the first season. “I have to Wikipedia our own show!” Doubleday, who plays Angela, admitted at the fest.

Esmail originally conceived the show as a film. It follows Elliot (Malek), a hacker struggling with social anxiety and clinical depression who works for a cybersecurity firm by day and hacks at night. When he meets a mysterious anarchist, Mr. Robot (Slater), he’s persuaded to join a group of hacktivists who call themselves the fsociety and want to hack into E Corp, one of the largest corporations that also happens to be the biggest client of the cybersecurity firm where Elliot works.

“He’s thought it all the way through,” said Slater of Esmail, who wasn’t present at the panel because he was working on post-production for season two. “If you pull on one thread, it will unravel the whole thing.”

But Slater definitely knew there was something up with his character, as Esmail told him at an initial meeting that Mr. Robot was just a figment of character Elliot’s imagination. “I was ecstatic that I picked up on that so that put us on the same page from day one,” Slater said, adding that he loved the amount of creative freedom this trait gave him as an actor. “If I’m created out of his subconscious of his brain, I can just do whatever I want!”

Doubleday said she was initially attracted to the series because of the strong female roles. She wanted to audition for both Angela and Darlene, though she ended up only auditioning for Angela (Chaikin auditioned for both).

“It’s such a gift to be able to not play a romantic interest,” said Doubleday. “Often there’s so many scripts that I get and in the breakdown, that’s what I get. Oh, you’re funny and cute and you’re a romantic interest.”

Both Chaikin and Doubleday were intrigued by their characters’ friendship and revealed there will be more to explore in season two. “What's so interesting working on this show is how much we discover as it goes. I love our friendship onscreen and off-screen," Chaikin said, as the crowd immediately aww-ed.

Riesman asked Malek and Slater about the physicality of their characters, particularly in a scene in the season one finale where Elliot chokes Mr. Robot and throws him against a wall. “We just knew how far we can go with one another,” Malek said. “And in-between takes, we were laughing all through that thing.”

The first scene Malek and Slater filmed together was on the ferris wheel in Coney Island, where the fsociety’s headquarters are located. Every time they made a mistake, the ferris wheel would have to go all the way around to reset the scene, allowing the two time to bond and get to know each other.

Ultimately, the cast joked they just wanted to impress Esmail, who is directing all 10 episodes of season two.

“I know that he will yell at me if it’s not right,” Doubleday said.

“The other day, I walked in and I was like, ‘How was that?’ And he was like, ‘****ing terrible!’” Chaikin said with a laugh. “It’s an open relationship,” she explained of the cast’s relationship with Esmail, adding that they feel very free to ask questions and give input.

One area where the cast really had input initially was in creating the costumes and visual look of the show. Slater wears his own glasses and hat in the series, and Malek remembered trying on countless pairs of black skinny jeans before shooting started. He wanted the pants to have a thicker material because his character suffers from social anxiety and doesn’t like to be touched. Meanwhile, Chaikin admitted she just wished she could dress like Darlene.

“Just wait for this season!” Chaikin said about Darlene’s wardrobe. “I wish I was cool enough to dress like her, or had the time or cared enough to put that effort in.”

During the panel, Malek also shared that the voiceover device has been particularly helpful in getting himself into the character. While shooting a scene, Malek has an earpiece with someone else reading the voiceover in his ear, and he records the narration himself a few days after wrapping an episode.

“From an actor's perspective, you’re always trying to figure out what your subconscious is doing in every scene, and I got it,” said Malek. “It’s great to have that and then play against it. What can I do in the scene that is opposite of what is going on in my head?”

The show has enjoyed critical success, winning a Golden Globe for TV drama and the Critics’ Choice Award for drama series. The cast had to leave the Vulture Fest early to attend the Peabody Awards, where the series is receiving an award.

Before leaving, they answered some audience questions. One guest mentioned that she had skipped her senior prom to attend the event. “If we weren’t going to the Peabody’s, Christian would take you!” Malek said, before answering her question: What would your character wear to prom?

“I don’t see Elliot going to prom,” he said.
Old 05-23-2016, 02:56 AM
Passionate Fan

Man I love this show. Thanks for the promo and information.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:39 AM
MST Manager

Thanks.
Old 05-24-2016, 02:19 PM
Fan Forum Hero

You're welcome.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:29 PM
Fan Forum Hero