Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2006, 06:20 AM
Elite Fan

Well, she did play his wife in their last movie.

That would be a cool twist though. Of course, it would have caused the fanboys to be calling for Brian Singer's head too.

Last edited by The Crow; 07-10-2006 at 06:32 AM
The Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 12:11 AM
Fan Forum Hero

And I thought Brandon Routh had more chemistry with Parker Posey. I'm such a UC shipper.

The movies change couples around too. In Spiderman (the comics) doesn't Peter meet Gwen first? Or am I wrong?
Old 07-11-2006, 08:41 AM
Elite Fan

I believe that you are correct.
Old 07-23-2006, 07:36 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crow
It never actually said who most of the evil mutants were, and I didn't actually watch the credits, so I didn't see what names where in there and what ones weren't.
See that'll be the great thing about the DVD when it comes out, we can pause the credits and see

I have a question for all the comic book readers, I was thinking about this after I watched Superman Returns.... I noticed a few of the changes, some of you just mentioned and then I thought about the other films and changes...

I never really read comics, but a few changes bugged me... but a lot of people did read them, does it p*** you off that some story writer has taken eveything you've spent the last god knows how many years reading and messed about with it?

Firecracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 01:00 AM
Fan Forum Hero

It depends. I'm more attached to some properties than others. And in some cases the changes had to happen. I mean it's probably better that Wolverine didn't wear yellow spandex. If any man could pull it off, it's Hugh Jackman, but it was probably for the best that they didn't. That's the only example I can think of right now.

I hate that Jean Grey is like 40 in the movies. But it's probably b/c I don't like the actress.

I think sometimes the changes have to happen. For example the Phoenix saga is pretty complicated in the comics. There's no way the filmmakers could have translated it properly. It needs a movie on it's own in order to do that.

I'll try to think of more examples. But most of my annoyances are usually with casting.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:11 AM
Elite Fan

It'd be better for the Phoenix saga to play out over an HBO miniseries to get all the complexity of the storyline.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:22 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer78
I hate that Jean Grey is like 40 in the movies. But it's probably b/c I don't like the actress.
I don't mind Famke, but she was too old for the part...or maybe Marsden was too young. I didn't see any chemistry between them.

how about these...

In the Daredevil comic The Kingpin is white. In the film he is black. Not sure why they made that change.

In the X-Men comics Wolverine is 5'3". They cast Hugh Jackman who is 6'3". Now this is one change I didn't mind. A short Wolvie would have looked really bad on big screen.

In the comics Mystique is the biological mother of Nightcrawler and the foster mother of Rogue. In the X-Men movies there is no relation revealed.
thescoobygang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 11:02 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescoobygang
I don't mind Famke, but she was too old for the part...or maybe Marsden was too young. I didn't see any chemistry between them.
Her being a lousy actress is more of my problem than her age. I understand casting a bad actress/actor if they're young and hot (ie Jessica Alba, Brandon Routh). Plus, I didn't think FJ had chemistry with anyone. She just ruined a great character and ships for me. Oh wait, this isn't the Worst Comic Movie thread.

Quote:
how about these...

In the Daredevil comic The Kingpin is white. In the film he is black. Not sure why they made that change.

In the X-Men comics Wolverine is 5'3". They cast Hugh Jackman who is 6'3". Now this is one change I didn't mind. A short Wolvie would have looked really bad on big screen.

In the comics Mystique is the biological mother of Nightcrawler and the foster mother of Rogue. In the X-Men movies there is no relation revealed.
I can deal with the "physical" changes. Height, race, etc. It's pretty common, and it's hard to find the perfect combo of looking appropriate and having acting ability. Also there's the factor of fame or the Q rating. Halle Berry is the most famous black actress...so she became Storm. I can't think of any actor that physically fits Kingpin. Race aside, Michael Clarke Duncan actually did.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:17 AM
Elite Fan

I can understand the changing of Kingpin because otherwise that movie would have been pretty much lily white. I don't like it when they change stuff like that, but I understand why the do it.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:40 AM
Fan Forum Hero

And it also depends on how it affects the movie. Hugh Jackman improved the X-Men franchise (heck, for a lot of people he is the X-Men franchise). Michael Clarke Duncan wasn't what made Daredevil bad, so I was on him being Kingpin. Didn't affect me.

Elektra is one of my favorite characters so that's why it annoyed me that Jennifer Garner didn't look the part. That wasn't her fault though. She's a good actress and does so well in fight scenes, I can see why the producers went with her.

But if I think the actor is what sunk the movie/character or made it worse. That's when I get annoyed. And I guess the same would go for story changes too.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:50 AM
Passionate Fan

Well ITA on Hugh Jackman. He was the best casting decision in the X-Men franchise. I don't think the role would have been as good if Dougray Scott had played the part as originally planned. Just as Viggo was a perfect fit as Aragorn when Peter Jackson had second thoughts about Stuart Townsend.

I didn't like the Daredevil movie at all so the Kingpin casting didn't bother me in particular. In fact I thought the casting of the entire movie was just plain weird. Affleck(besides being deadpan) was too big and lumberous to be an acrobatic Daredevil, Jennifer Garner while athletic, just didn't look the part. And Colin Ferell I felt was a trendy casting choice because he was so popular at the time. He was a bit over the top in the role.
thescoobygang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 09:13 AM
Elite Fan

I liked Colin Farrell in Daredevil, but he was playing it a bit over the top. And I totally agree with your thoughts on Affleck. He was horribly out of place.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:41 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Daredevil in general was just "off" for me. I can't really blame any of the actors. Honestly, it's one of those cases where I blame the director. He didn't make it Joel Schumacher bad, just blah.
Old 08-04-2006, 06:02 AM
Elite Fan

Yeah I know. And he was supposed to be this big fan of Daredevil.
Old 08-04-2006, 03:50 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I can see how that might be a bad thing. He was almost too reverent. I've said it before...but Daredevil was one of the most faithful adaptations. But it wasn't the best movie.

They need to find directors who are somewhere in between. Obviously Joel Schumacher was too mainstream...he didn't think about comics fans at all. And then you have the Daredevil director (whoever he was) who went the other route and made a boring movie.

That's why I have a good feeling about Jon Favreau. He seems to get it, but he's not an obsessive fanboy either. I'd actually be more worried if he had every single Iron Man comic or something like that.

I know this topic is Comic vs Movies. But the race factor just reminded me that they changed Lana and Pete's race on Smallville (among other things). I didn't really have a problem with that though. The actors were cute and fresh faced, IMO.