Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2005, 07:38 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by khirea
Same thing with Inuyasha. I downloaded a subbed episode , it didn't sound like the version on Adult Swim,especially Kagome and Inuyasha's voice. It was weird and confusing.
I say sub all the way, ESPECIALLY with Inu Yasha and Full Metal Alchemist. Ed's voice sounds way younger than the English version does and much more expressive. His VA is Paku Romi who is also Temari in Naruto. Mustang's is hella' sexy and Al's about the same. Actually, Ed's Japanese voice actress or seiyuu, was voted best of 2004.

In Inu Yasha his VA, Yamaguchi Kappei, was once the VA to Ranma in Ranma 1/2 AND Ryuuichi in Graviation, so I have an affinity towards him and I like the scruffiness of his voice. Kikyo was also voiced by Hidaka Noriko who also voiced Seta Soujiro in Rurouni Kenshin so you know I also LOVE her. I think she's one of the best actresses around.
Jiberty Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 09:25 PM
Elite Fan

As well as the english version for Inu Yasha. The VA for Ranma in the last couple of seasons of Ranma 1/2 is also voicing Inu Yasha.

Kids in the English version will be voiced by adults and sound like adults. At least in the Japanese version, they do sound like kids, whether voiced by a guy or girl (which majority of little boys will be voiced by women, but they do so well on it)
Lain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 11:22 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel_boogiepop
As well as the english version for Inu Yasha. The VA for Ranma in the last couple of seasons of Ranma 1/2 is also voicing Inu Yasha.
And for some reason I think that he fits Inu Yasha way better than he did Ranma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel_boogiepop
Kids in the English version will be voiced by adults and sound like adults. At least in the Japanese version, they do sound like kids, whether voiced by a guy or girl (which majority of little boys will be voiced by women, but they do so well on it)
I agree with that as well. Lke Miki in Revolutionary Girl Utena and Shinji in Neon Genesis Evanegelion sounded WAY too old for their actual ages. In the Japanese version their voices fit them perfectly.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:33 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiberty Maniac
I agree with that as well. Lke Miki in Revolutionary Girl Utena and Shinji in Neon Genesis Evanegelion sounded WAY too old for their actual ages. In the Japanese version their voices fit them perfectly.
In some certain anime, some of the dubbed VA match their characters just fine. Some are Yami, Bakura (and not the aibou side) and the dark Marik from Yu-Gi-Oh (if 4kids didn't screw with the dialogue, i would've handled it just fine), Makoto in Sailor Moon (the tomboy character suits her and the VA doesn't overdo it)...

I'm just really disappointed of the dubbing VA after Sailor Moon R. The one who did Usagi's voice got replaced and now she sounds like an airhead. The outer scouts were disappointing and there could have been better va for them (although you do gotta give them props for actually trying).

IDK, I was watching the uncut DVD of Sailor Moon S and for fun, once in a while, i switch it to the English version and put on the subtitles to see how much they actually cut off (and they do cut off a lot). But I had to switch back to the Japanese version because...damn it...I can't handle the dubbed voices.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:45 AM
New Fan

I'm going to have to disagree with a few of you. although I do watch both because it's never translated the same I really prefer dubbed mainly b/c my favorite anime is Inuyasha and when he screams kagome's name in the japanese version it sounds like a bag of cats gargling razorblades
underyourskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 09:15 PM
Elite Fan

underyourskin, it's your opinion. We all have our views on how we see anime in dub or sub

Although I gotta admit, your the first to say you prefer dub out of sub How shocking! But after all, it's a thread on whether you prefer sub or dub
Old 08-29-2005, 09:40 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by underyourskin
when he screams kagome's name in the japanese version it sounds like a bag of cats gargling razorblades
lol Aww, too bad. I love InuYasha's VA.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:14 AM
New Fan

hehehe thanks for listening don't get me wrong the japanese actor does a good job I was just a little taken back at how angry he was...kinda scared me a little hehe
underyourskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 10:36 AM
Passionate Fan

*jumps into the conversation, stands on nearest soapbox*

*cough* It's been a really long time since I've posted anything on the forums, so please excuse my extreme tardiness. And now on with the show.

In about 97% of the cases I prefer the sub, because that's how it was originally intended to sound. It's more genuine, and voice acting in Japan is like movie acting here: a business that a lot of people try to break into because it is filled with prestige and respect. Voice acting in Japan is regarded rather highly by the public. Therefore, you get distinguished seiyuus like Hayashibara Megumi, a rather prolific actor who inspired a manga series based on her life. (Her credits are here, if you'd like to see...) The voices are more suited to the characters created, and the acting is superb.

There are cases where you get better dubs than subs, though. My opinion of one of these would be the Cowboy Bebop dub. True, the sub has the best Japanese actors: Hayashibara Megumi as Faye Valentine, Yamadera Koiuchi as Spike (his credits here), and a breakout actress as Ed, but it didn't make them right for the characters. Steve Blum plays a much deeper version of Spike, getting his devil-may-care attitude nailed perfectly as well as little glimpses to the real man underneath. Wendee Lee plays Faye as a reckless gambler out to swindle everyone for everything with sex appeal, as well as letting Faye's vulnerability shine through. Hayashibara-san plays Faye as more tired, which doesn't suit her dialogue at all.

I also like certain dubs better than subs, because some male characters in the sub are played by women and they really shouldn't be *cough*Fruits Basket*cough*, but it doesn't make it better. Still, though, voice acting in the States has come a long way, and the actors are making real strides to connect with the characters and still be loyal to the original work. As for the editing of fights, blood, swearing...if you buy the DVD you'll see that they remain loyal. It's the TV network that edits all that stuff--not the studio. Unless it's Sailor Moon, but that's pretty much the only one. You can't rely on any dubbing from before 1995.

Still, subs are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better. And you get to learn Japanese! Thanks to Ranma 1/2 (I'm on episode 111) I've learned some useful Japanese. As well as perfecting the technique of screaming your loved one's name in a rather wild and forceful manner if they're in danger. Now I have to find a person named 'Akane' and I'll be set...

Okay, sorry about that.
*gets off soapbox and packs her things*

[Harry/Hermione] [Yuki/Tohru] [Ranma/Akane] [Ron/Luna] [Riza/Roy] [Max/Liz] [Miaka/Tamahome]
Orber123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 11:54 AM
Passionate Fan

ITA except that i've never ever heard a dubs that even got close to the work of the original one .... Also i'm only talking about French dubs ... maybe the american ones may be really good

Innocent Venus ~>Transpose-Team<~ One Piece
Cite Des Anges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 07:06 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I'm with Orber123. It really depends on the situation.

First of all, I disagree that voice actors in the US aren't as good as in Japan. They're are a lot of talented ones out there. And it's a very competitive field. We have to remember graphic arts and animation in general doesn't have quite as much respect in the US and that filters down to the VA's as well. Besides isn't a lot of the dubbing done in Canadian studios with Canadian VA's? (Not that it really matters).

I love the dubbed voices in a lot of anime. But I like reading subtitles as well. It doesn't make that much of a difference.

But sometimes I prefer dubbed b/c it takes me more into the world the animators have created. Plus, I've been all over and have seen cartoons dubbed in so many different languages, so it's not much of an insult to me.

Quote:
There are cases where you get better dubs than subs, though. My opinion of one of these would be the Cowboy Bebop dub. True, the sub has the best Japanese actors: Hayashibara Megumi as Faye Valentine, Yamadera Koiuchi as Spike (his credits here), and a breakout actress as Ed, but it didn't make them right for the characters. Steve Blum plays a much deeper version of Spike, getting his devil-may-care attitude nailed perfectly as well as little glimpses to the real man underneath. Wendee Lee plays Faye as a reckless gambler out to swindle everyone for everything with sex appeal, as well as letting Faye's vulnerability shine through. Hayashibara-san plays Faye as more tired, which doesn't suit her dialogue at all.
I agree, I their voices and acting. I'd like to add Kirby Morrow to that list. I adore how he does Miroku on Inuyasha.

Quote:
I'm going to have to disagree with a few of you. although I do watch both because it's never translated the same I really prefer dubbed mainly b/c my favorite anime is Inuyasha and when he screams kagome's name in the japanese version it sounds like a bag of cats gargling razorblades
I haven't heard the Japanese version, but I don't like the English version.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:31 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer78
I agree, I their voices and acting. I'd like to add Kirby Morrow to that list. I adore how he does Miroku on Inuyasha.
I agree. The way he does Miroku in a way, reminds me of the way Koji Tsuzitani does Miroku's voice in Japanese. Also Kelly Sheridan who does the voice of Sango reminds me of the way Houko Kuwajima does her voice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer78
I haven't heard the Japanese version, but I don't like the English version.
I heard it. It does sound different. It was funny when I first heard it and you would think it was a messed up version of the English version. I like the English version better though, probably because I'm use to it.
khirea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 07:51 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by khirea
I agree. The way he does Miroku in a way, reminds me of the way Koji Tsuzitani does Miroku's voice in Japanese. Also Kelly Sheridan who does the voice of Sango reminds me of the way Houko Kuwajima does her voice.
I forgot, I do like Sango's English voice too. I didn't think to look up the actress.

I don't even like Inuyasha and I watch it for Miroku. So the VA is doing a good job, IMO.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:28 PM
Passionate Fan

wanderer78--I love Kirby! He was also Lord Van in The Visions of Escaflowne...and that dub sucked the big one, but God is his voice sexy...Kelly Sheridan also played Hitomi in that...the only thing of her's that I've seen that I liked her acting in was InuYasha. Sango suited her very well. She wasn't too good as Ukyo or Hitomi...

A lot of the dubbing is done in Canada; mainly at a studio called Ocean Studios. I've been trying to get a tape together to audition for them...Think about it. You get to watch anime (legally) before everyone else in the States! And be a part of the process! That's exciting...to me...

I almost got to meet Steve Blum at Anime Central this year! Unfortunately, the line was too long, but when he walked by I yelled "I love your work!" and ran away. My boyfriend won't ever let me live down that moment...

*cough*

But I'd love to meet Romi Pak (Ed in the sub of Fullmetal Alchemist.) She's incredibly talented. I wonder if they'll bring her to the States any time soon...

[Harry/Hermione] [Yuki/Tohru] [Ranma/Akane] [Ron/Luna] [Riza/Roy] [Max/Liz] [Miaka/Tamahome]
Orber123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 09:13 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orber123
wanderer78--I love Kirby! He was also Lord Van in The Visions of Escaflowne...and that dub sucked the big one, but God is his voice sexy...Kelly Sheridan also played Hitomi in that...the only thing of her's that I've seen that I liked her acting in was InuYasha. Sango suited her very well. She wasn't too good as Ukyo or Hitomi...
Glad to know I'm not the only one. His voice is really sexy.

You bring up the good point of miscasting. Sometimes VA's are put in the wrong roles, just like in live action shows and movies. It happens.

Good luck in putting the tape together. I'm an actor, and I'm trying to become a VA too, in general, not necessarily in anime. Which is why I guess I'm defending dubbing. More work for actors is a good thing, IMO.