Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 02-15-2011, 02:53 PM
Fan Forum Star

Reviews of the eppy:

Castle 3.15 “The Final Nail” Review
Quote:
Oh, my goodness, there’s so much to talk about regarding last night’s “The Final Nail” that I don’t even know where to start.

I’ll be the first to admit that I wasn’t expecting this episode to be this brilliant. It’s a general rule in most shows, I believe, to have those so called “filler” episodes in which their sole function is to build a bridge to a really explosive episode. Since we had “Knockdown” just a couple of weeks ago and the highly anticipated two-parter is scheduled to air next week, I figured that “The Final Nail” would be a somewhat light or non-substantial episode, intended to fill the gap until “Setup”.

Boy, was I wrong! Because what we witnessed last night had nothing light about it. It was an intense – and tense – hour in which we dove head first into Castle’s past for the first time in three seasons.

Finally.

We all know Nathan Fillion is a brilliant actor. Those of you who have seen his work in Firefly know firsthand just how brilliant he can be when given a chance. I love Castle to death, but I always felt that, most of the time, Richard Castle was being portrayed as a two-dimensional character and that Nathan’s talent wasn’t being used to its full potential with the material they were giving him. Sure, we have an occasional powerful episode, but those really intense and emotional scenes were given to Stana Katic. Just to be clear, I am not complaining here at all. You all know how much of a fangirl I can be when it comes to Stana’s performance. But it just felt like things weren’t exactly fair when it came to good, powerful material on Castle.

That changed last night. Because we finally got a glimpse at Castle’s past and it just confirmed what we already knew: the character of Richard Castle is more complex than we all thought and that tiny glimpse just made me even more curious to know just what he was like before he became a bestselling novelist.

This week’s case dealt with the murder of a woman, who happened to be Castle’s old school friend’s wife. Castle obviously defended his friend fiercely, which caused his biggest fight with Beckett yet. Damian Westlake (played by Jason Wiles) had been a sort of mentor for Castle when he was in boarding school as a teenager. Castle revealed to Beckett that he went away to study when he was 14 and he felt incredibly homesick and lonely then. He started writing and Damien was the one who encouraged him to pursue a career and was the first one to tell him he had a real talent. If he hadn’t been for Damian, Castle wouldn’t be who he is now. That was a really emotional scene and it was great to see Castle’s vulnerable side. Kudos to Nathan on that one because he made me tear up a bit.

This storyline was very reminiscent of an earlier plot when Beckett’s old mentor betrayed her in 3.03 “Under the Gun”. This time we got to see a complete role reversal and Beckett was absolutely sure that Damian was guilty. They butted heads throughout the episode, but the one thing we got from this whole debacle was how deep their connection and trust goes. As much as Kate was convinced that Castle’s friend was the murderer, you could tell that it was killing her to see her partner suffer through this. During the scene that she confronts Damian when he was released after he alibied out, she flat out tells him that she believes he is a cold-blooded killer. However, Castle believes in him and she believes in her partner, so she wants to believe Damian. That right there showed that her trust in Castle goes beyond simple friendship and partnership.

Now, the only thing I wasn’t too fond of was how the case was resolved. The ex-husband’s girlfriend? Seriously? She appeared for all of five seconds in the beginning of the episode and I had a hard time remembering who she was. It would have been much more believable if Damien had actually been the killer or had hired someone to do his dirty work. The only payoff was that they discovered he was guilty of his father’s murder twenty years back, so he wasn’t the perfect hero Castle made him out to be.

The last few scenes – when he tells Damian that they found out about what he had done to inherit his father’s fortune and the one where he watches his friend being arrested and taken away by the police – were heartbreaking. It was great to see that Kate was there for him and was willing to comfort him and be his friend. I doubt anything even remotely close to this – their trust, friendship and mutual comfort – could have happened a year ago.

“The Final Nail” was an emotional rollercoaster for Castle and this was the first time in a while that it wasn’t about their romantic relationship – or lack there of.

It was all about friendship and I think that’s exactly what’s going to pave the way for their romantic relationship to happen. To be honest, I want them to get together as much as any shipper, but I am not in a hurry anymore. The Powers That Be are doing a remarkable job of keeping things interesting while Castle and Beckett keep dancing around each other. As long as they keep things progressing like this, I am totally cool with it.

Other things worth mentioning:

■Esposito’s “Mom and dad are fighting” was downright hilarious.
■Martha’s insights were, as always, spot on.
■I absolutely loved that we got more Alexis time and especially that she teamed up with her dad to help him solve Damien’s dad’s murder.
■Beckett accidentally speaking with the suspect’s accent.
■Castle and Beckett’s synch during that scene by the elevator. I am sure thousands of shippers turned into a puddle of goo after that moment.
■Beckett’s support of Castle after they worked out their differences.
■Beckett taking Castle out for a drink after his friend was arrested.
I know there are probably a lot that I forgot to comment about, so please, feel free to point it out to me. All in all, “The Final Nail” was a pretty solid episode.

Castle Review: "The Final Nail" - TV Fanatic
Quote:
The latest installment of Castle, “The Final Nail,” offered up this classic question. The case dealt with the murder of Castle’s former classmate's wife, causing him to be a suspect and forcing Castle to fight for his pal's innocence.

Beckett said that she had met maybe three people in her life who she knows couldn’t be a murder suspect. This got me thinking. No one wants to believe that someone they know could be a murder, but how many people are you positive couldn’t be?

Jason Wiles guest-starred and immediately caused flashbacks for me to his character from Beverly Hills, 90210. That was years ago and he still looks exactly the same. Either this guy ages well or he has a great doctor!

Having someone from Castle’s past offered the promise of a great episode, yet somehow I felt a little bored with it. It lacked the funny, which is something I have grown to depend on from the series. It had the usual recipe, but just didn't really live up to expectations.

Still, once again, Nathan Fillion proved why he is such an excellent actor.

We already knew about his comedic timing and heartfelt glances, but the lead went outside his normal routine this week, feeling insecure about what he knew. This man never ceases to amaze me and I often wonder why he isn’t a movie star.

Meanwhile, is there anyone else who thinks that Alexis has started to become one of the most useless characters? Being Castle’s daughter doesn’t give her many possible arcs, but she has seriously been lacking in any story at all. How many lines did she even have in this episode?

Castle has become known for its outlandish cases and great quotes, but there is one thing I love about this show even more. In a few cases, we have been given a two-part episode that pumps up the drama and the stakes. Looking back over the past seasons, these are the episodes I love the most (the 3XK, the arc with Dana Delaney, etc).

With that in mind, tune in next week. Adrian Pasdar will arrive for this season's edition of the special two-parter. I can't wait.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:37 PM
Fan Forum Star

I caught the end of it and now I'm really looking forward to watching the whole thing. It looked like a great episode for Castle!
Old 02-16-2011, 05:16 AM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks Karen for all the information. I'll read the review later!

mia toretto brian o'conner
lex luthor lana lang | jordan ♥ t.c.
clary fray ♥ jace herondale | jax ♥ tara
haylie | icon | LJ | tumblr
Old 02-16-2011, 06:16 AM
Fan Forum Star

Sunny, you'll love the eppy as a whole.

And the first review is good, a nice viewpoint on the eppy.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:16 PM
Fan Forum Star

I liked that first review.

I've heard nothing but good things about the episode.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:46 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I saw him. Walked into Mom's room and she was watching! She's like "look, look!" And there it was. I like the guy who stars in it-gonna have to check out the show.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:04 AM
Fan Forum Star

Nathan Fillion? Or however you spell the name? Yeah, I like him a lot.

And yes, Jason did a great job, and everything I've seen as far as comments go since were great.

ETA: another review http://screencrave.com/2011-02-15/ca...ail-tv-review/
Old 02-17-2011, 07:32 PM
Fan Forum Star

Nathan Fillion is awesome.

Kimmie, if you ever get a chance to see Firefly, it's a series where he was the central character and it was written by Joss Whedon (i.e., lord and master of the Buffy universe)...

Oh, and Nathan Fillion (and Stana Katic, come to that) is Canadian.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:53 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks Karen!

Sunny, I couldn't figure out where I recognized him from-he also played in season 7 Buffy, as the bad guy assistant, right?
Old 02-18-2011, 07:57 PM
Fan Forum Star

He was the evil priest in the 7th season of Buffy, yes. He was Caleb.

He was on Desperate Housewives, too, two years ago. He was Dana Delaney's husband.

And, of course, he was Joey Buchanan on One Life to Live.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:19 PM
Fan Forum Star

I'm going to try to dl it tomorrow

Old 02-19-2011, 04:53 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Heh, he's a busy guy isn't he? I really have a new crush now.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:17 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereYoullBe (View Post)
Heh, he's a busy guy isn't he? I really have a new crush now.
Nothing wrong with that.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:29 PM
Fan Forum Hero

A new crush is always a good thing.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:34 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereYoullBe (View Post)
A new crush is always a good thing.
For sure